The Bubble Wrapping Of Ukrainian Art During War - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... ussia-war/

I’m not a history buff so I only know that in other wars, antiquities are either stolen or destroyed. The act of destroying a nations cultural inheritance always seems like a very deliberate action.
So, I’d be interested to know exactly what has been deleted (to borrow one of Igor’s terms) in Ukraine.

And because I’m not a history buff, can anyone tell me if they know of other instances where besieged cities have had the chance to sandbag monuments of cultural significance?

My first impression - which may very well be wrong- is that Putler isn’t trying to destroy Ukraines history or he would have done it by now with pin point precision.
They are hiding the art not because it is being specifically targeted, but because the bombing and shelling of towns and cities are indiscriminate. It's certainly possible a historical site or art museum gets hit eventually. As the article states, if the Russians don't give a shit that a maternity hospital is bombed, they certainly don't give a fuck about some culturally significant stuff getting destroyed. Much like that holocaust memorial that was hit a few weeks ago in/near Kyiv. It wasn't specifically targeted AFAIK, but the ham fisted nature of Russia's assault means anything that is not underground is at risk of being destroyed.

As for other conflicts in history. Yes, specific cultural heritage sites have been destroyed intentionally throughout history, ancient and modern. It is well documented that ISIS has intentionally destroyed numerous historical sites. The soviets would destroy things of religious significance. China has destroyed Tibeten stuff. I'm sure America destroyed all sorts of Native American shit. It happens here and there.
They are hiding the art not because it is being specifically targeted, but because the bombing and shelling of towns and cities are indiscriminate. It's certainly possible a historical site or art museum gets hit eventually. As the article states, if the Russians don't give a shit that a maternity hospital is bombed, they certainly don't give a fuck about some culturally significant stuff getting destroyed. Much like that holocaust memorial that was hit a few weeks ago in/near Kyiv. It wasn't specifically targeted AFAIK, but the ham fisted nature of Russia's assault means anything that is not underground is at risk of being destroyed.

I understand the reasoning behind the bubble wrapping. I was just wondering if other significant artifacts in previous wars ever had the opportunity to be bubble wrapped or sandbagged. It’s a very specific question that requires someone with a long memory or a good knowledge of that field. A forensic comparison if you like..
As I said, I’m curious as to what actually has been destroyed, because if it’s minimal that might suggest there were efforts to actually avoid indiscriminate damage.
ness31 wrote:other significant artifacts in previous wars

Yes

Piccadilly Circus with boarded up Eros statue to protect it from German bombs, c.1944
Rancid wrote:China has destroyed Tibeten stuff.

Allow me to protest.

The Chinese are keen to destroy any history that don't profit, including their own.

They are far more indiscriminate in intentional destruction than many Westerners believe.

Saying it to be specific to Tibet or, say, Hong Kong / Cantonese, is a rather serious (although unintentional) mistake.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Having[…]

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]