The game is afoot, sear Watson - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.

"He credits Julian Symons with having written the best such history, “Bloody Murder: From the Detective Story to the Crime Novel,” first published in 1972. The book has been revised twice, most recently in 1993, but so much has changed, in terms of how we think and live, and how such changes are reflected — in the stories we tell and the writers doing the telling, in the kinds of detectives and villains we have created for the 21st century — that, in Edwards’s view, “the time is ripe to take a fresh look at how the crime story has evolved.”

Another is the fidelity with which mysteries reflect the values, desires and anxieties of different eras. The Victorian confidence in science and rationality gave us detectives (most famously Sherlock Holmes) who prevailed through the application of logical reasoning; the hermetically sealed puzzles of the Golden Age, by authors like Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers, served as an escape from the devastation of one world war and the fears of another. As the moral righteousness of World War II faded into the ambiguities of the Cold War era, we saw the emergence of spymasters like George Smiley who, in the course of John le Carré’s novels, has to reckon with the rottenness of regimes he has pledged to serve. We meet the cynical, self-destructive noir PI typified by Philip Marlowe, and the amoral antihero (think Tom Ripley).

Perhaps this is the reason for readers’ ongoing fascination with mystery and crime, through all its incarnations. We read these stories as a form of entertainment and escapism, to match wits with a fictional detective, to enjoy the resolution of uncertainty or deliverance of justice not always afforded by the real world..."
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/30/book ... wards.html

The Expanse, my favorite scifi, starts with a detective who gets assigned an odd case. He soon realises there is a lot more to the situation than anyone has guessed. Detective Miller leaves his life as a cop behind, pursuing this mystery.

The Automatic Detective is a classic noir detective story. But in this future, devices, on rare occasion, can reach sentience and apply for citizenship. The problem is that this device is a 700 pound war robot.

I'm a big fan of the genre, like Early Autumn, A Corpse in the Koryo, The Big Sleep, The Black Dahlia, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead, and a hundred more.

It's an intensely personal genre. If you like violence, you might like Jack Reacher. If you want to see a different culture, you might like Coyote Waits, Corpse in the Koryo, etc. There's something for just about everyone.
Nothing wrong with a plug to the whole genre I assume. Um, what made you come up with that one? "sear" , the "verb" to grill or flame? Sherlock Holmes 2 , where is Frankenstein 2. Stop spinning Sherlock Holmes, the movies are bad enough. What is "Alienist"TV Show. What is "Elementary" TV Show. Stolen uncopyrighted trash that sinks the name of it. So are the other merchandise. The new computer games? trash.
Mike12 wrote:
Nothing wrong with a plug to the whole genre I assume.

Um, what made you come up with that one? "sear" , the "verb" to grill or flame?

Sherlock Holmes 2 , where is Frankenstein 2. Stop spinning Sherlock Holmes, the movies are bad enough.

What is "Alienist"TV Show. What is "Elementary" TV Show. Stolen uncopyrighted trash that sinks the name of it. So are the other merchandise. The new computer games? trash.

I don't have to assume. What inspired this was the article I quoted from the NYT.

Ahh, I goofed, it was supposed to be Dear Watson. Sear was a typo.

I was talking about books, not movies. Or tv, or computer games...
Police detective stories are now labelled "copaganda" by the woke crowd, though the "flaw" in most detective stories is depicting criminals as clever when most crimes are less like puzzles to be solved and more like the actions of brutal or stupid people with little self-control.

Look at this shit. This is inexcusable! >: htt[…]

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]