Now reading - Page 166 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Potemkin
Decky wrote:Indeed. They made linen, brewed beer, grew food and made pots to put the beer and food into. That seems to be all they have done up till about 3000 BC or so. Oh and fishing too.

That's pretty much all anyone was doing back then, Decky. Entire cultures are named after the particular kind of pots they made. For example, the Corded Ware People or the Beaker People. Pots, Decky. Lots and lots of pots.... :)
By Drlee
Except for the Joooos who were running the fish markets and suing people who made pots that other people tripped over.

@ Tainari88

That is a beautiful pot. It is a National treasure but also one for your family. A museum would probably take it on loan and let others enjoy your mothers honor. They might even put the story on the exhibit card.
By Decky
Potemkin wrote:That's pretty much all anyone was doing back then, Decky. Entire cultures are named after the particular kind of pots they made. For example, the Corded Ware People or the Beaker People. Pots, Decky. Lots and lots of pots.... :)

They author got more emotional about the introduction of the potters wheel into Egypt from the Levant than any emotion shown about the human sacrifice/ murders of prisoners of war (we don't know which is was) by mass clubbing of bound prisoners with ivory maces.

He talked about the homogenisation of the different regional pot production methods caused by the use of the potters wheel as if it were the Mongol invasion or the Holocaust. :eh:
By Potemkin
They author got more emotional about the introduction of the potters wheel into Egypt from the Levant than any emotion shown about the human sacrifice/ murders of prisoners of war (we don't know which is was) by mass clubbing of bound prisoners with ivory maces.

He talked about the homogenisation of the different regional pot production methods caused by the use of the potters wheel as if it were the Mongol invasion or the Holocaust. :eh:

Somebody decides to devote his entire life to writing books about ancient Egyptian pottery, and then you wonder why he cares more about pots than about human life? :eh:
By Wellsy
Reading short stories from Ray Bradburry's 'The Illustrated Man'.
I've not done too much reading really, but it is interesting to me the sort of feeling that I get from the style of different authors. Somehow Bradburry is able to evoke emotions in a way other sci-fi authors I read don't.
By Drlee
Your brain is going to explode Paradigm.
By Wellsy
Concepts, a Critical Approach - Andy Blunden 2011
By Drlee
Ivanhoe. Again. What fun.
By Victoribus Spolia
Current Reading (research purposes)

1. Democracy: The God That Failed (The Economics and Politics of Monarchy, Democracy, and Natural Order) by Hans-Hermann Hoppe.
2. The Immaterial Self (A Defense of The Cartesian Dualist Conception of The Mind). by John Foster

For My Rapier Group:

The Academy of The Sword by Gerard Thibault.

For My Theological Studies.

Conversion and Election by Franz Pieper.

Audiobook with Wife

Just finished King Solomon's Mines by H Rider Haggard

Just starting The entire Sherlock Holmes Collection by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
By Potemkin
Just finished King Solomon's Mines by H Rider Haggard

Just starting The entire Sherlock Holmes Collection by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Good man! :up: I've always had a soft spot for the quality popular fiction of the late Victorian and Edwardian era. Even writers as revered as RL Stevenson and Joseph Conrad thought of themselves as popular novelists and published their work in widely-read magazines such as Strand, which mainly published adventure novels and the like. If you like Conan Doyle, then I can recommend the ghost stories of MR James or the novels of GK Chesterton. MR James, in particular, was the greatest writer of ghost stories who has ever lived. Oh, and the humorous stories of Saki are great fun too. :)
By fuser
I got into habit of reading by reading Sherlock Holmes stories. I still remember trying to solve the mysteries of stories like "The Red-Headed League", "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" as a kid.

Anyway started reading : Image
By Drlee
Holmes is still a joy. Way good.
By Victoribus Spolia
Paradigm wrote:I've been re-reading Matter and Memory by Henri Bergson and Process and Reality by Alfred North Whitehead. Also continuing to read Upheavals of Thought by Martha Nussbaum and Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett.

Philosophy of Mind is one of my areas of study, good stuff. Though Dennett is an idiot on Qualia in my opinion.

Potemkin wrote:Good man! I've always had a soft spot for the quality popular fiction of the late Victorian and Edwardian era. Even writers as revered as RL Stevenson and Joseph Conrad thought of themselves as popular novelists and published their work in widely-read magazines such as Strand, which mainly published adventure novels and the like. If you like Conan Doyle, then I can recommend the ghost stories of MR James or the novels of GK Chesterton. MR James, in particular, was the greatest writer of ghost stories who has ever lived. Oh, and the humorous stories of Saki are great fun too.

Thanks!

Though I have a long list already, Its going to take like 70 hours to get through Holmes on audible....after that we are reading Beau Geste and then going to hit up Bram Stoker's Dracula (featuring Tim Curry), and after that will be spending the better part of next year going through the works of Alexandre Dumas.

I cancelled my subscription to Audible because I was so backlogged with books, partly because I always got books with the free monthly credit system that would've been the most expensive (and hence incredibly long). I also have Gibbon's entire history of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire on audible and will likely listen to it during my summer project of building a garage. (I listened to Sears' History of the British Empire while building my deck last year, and 1177 BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed when I painted the exterior of the house (both last summer). It really does make construction projects richer. In fact, I can look at any part of my deck and remember where in the history of the British Empire I was when I was working on that particular part....its makes everything more memorable and enjoyable. I highly recommend people do it that way if they are handy and have big projects.....beats the hell out of just listening to rock music (as I would normally have done during work projects). In fact, I discovered this method because when I was seminary I worked in project management and remodeling and since my professors recorded their lectures, if I had to miss a lecture or take a class distance, I could listen to it by playing it through the Mp3 connection of my work radio and could then get school done while also working.
By skinster
Finished How We Get Free on Black feminism; interviews organizers of the Combahee River Collective and some Black Lives Matter people.

Currently:
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]