Now reading - Page 157 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Oxymoron
MB. wrote:

Could you go into more detail here? I'm a follower of Hancock's work, and although he makes some outrageous claims, some of his theories are actually very convincing, such as the iceage comet impact theory. What I'm wondering is, does he provide anymore solid evidence for his proto civilization thesis?

Well as far as ancient civilization thesis, I would say we are far from being able to factually state anything. I is mostly educated guessing, but if what he says is true it would be hard to find substantial evidence as most ancient coastlines are now under water. Also what is left is impossible to age as it is mostly Stone. Now Gebekli Tepe can be verified to be far more ancient that any known civilization, and what ever Mr.mainstream historian Potemkin says it was in no way possible for small bands of hunter gatherers to build anything like this, meaning there was at least some ancient civilizations pre Sumerian. As far as the main point of the book the comet impact.... There seems to be a lot of evidence for such an impact, but will require further research to prove it.
By MistyTiger
I started reading The Lord of the Rings. It will probably take me awhile to finish it but I will try.

I read The Hobbit last year, or rather listened to the book on tape. That was entertaining.
By Wellsy
Whilst waiting for a flight back home, started reading John Storey's Cultural Theory and Popular Culture 5th Edto get an overview of somethings. I stumbled upon it when trying to help understand and explain that the base superstructure isn't a one way linear model. It's been useful in summarizing a lot of things I've touched on and I think I'll keep coming back to it if I choose to explore certain thinkers and their thought in more detail as a sort of grounding.
By Drlee
I met Bateson's daughter by Margaret Meade once in Virginia. Illustrious parents and I guess a hell of an Anthropologist in her own right.

Remind me. Is this your field? I had it in my mind that you were a historian. Well what I flatter myself is a mind anyway.
By Decky
Paradigm wrote:Of Grammatology by Jacques Derrida
The Great Transformation by Karl Polanyi
Consciousness Explained by Daniel Dennett
Steps to an Ecology of Mind by Gregory Bateson

We haven't seen you for a while, how are things going?
By colliric

That specific edition of it. I also read the first edition(2003, Chicago, a film no longer in the book was the cover film) previously.
By Silviarose
Currently reading The Fall by Camus (nearly done). I'm a sucker for Camus to this day, but actually I think this novel doesn't really require prior knowledge of his ideas. To me, it stands up on its own as a fascinating exploration of complex attitudes to morality, and at times amorality. Even across the course of the first 100 pages or so, I've swung from sympathy and empathy to disgust towards the narrator. I get the sense that's exactly what Camus intended. Would recommend, as I say, even for non-Camus 'fans'.
By Pants-of-dog
The Aliens versus Predators Omnibus. Three novels in one! :excited:

And the third book in the Three Body trilogy, Death's End.
By Heisenberg
I've taken a bit of a break from the English history book (it's great, but long) and have started the Foundation series. :)
By Potemkin
I'm currently reading Russell Shorto's The Island at the Center of the World (subtitle: "The epic story of Dutch Manhattan and the forgotten colony that shaped America"). One must, after all, know one's enemy.... :eh:
By Paradigm
Drlee wrote:Remind me. Is this your field? I had it in my mind that you were a historian. Well what I flatter myself is a mind anyway.

Kind of. Sociology and Anthropology were a combined department at my university, so I technically majored in both, though my emphasis was sociology.

Decky wrote:We haven't seen you for a while, how are things going?

Been on medical leave with a broken foot. Starting to get out of the house more, but mostly been on the couch reading and watching Netflix. Should be walking again by the end of the month.
By Decky
I would have thought a broken foot and time at home would mean more Pofo posts. :lol: Get well soon anyway.
By Drlee
Yes. Get well soon.

Avoid Rugby for a time.
By MistyTiger
Still reading Lord of the Rings and started reading The New Hunger by Isaac Marion, the sequel to Warm Bodies. I finished Warm Bodies and it is a decent read. I really like R, though at first I found the plot to be slow. The character development is good. And I am hoping that they do find a cure for the illness in the Warm Bodies series.
By Decky
I have finished my book about the mongols and am now reading two books.

By Perkwunos
Bulaba Jones wrote:Image

The first time I saw Blade Runner it was the director's cut.

Had I seen it in a theater and seen the ending of the theatrical release I would have probably been throwing things at the screen.

A gentle tongue speaks many languages.. :lol:[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Assuming it's true. What a jackass. It's like tho[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]