Now reading - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Der Freiheitsucher
It's so offensive that authors on the level of Kant can be read by any common nobody. Reading Kant should demand some training.
By QatzelOk
Yeah, DF. I'm sure he just picked Kant up in the grocery store lineup, along with the Enquirer and People magazine.

:lol:
By Der Freiheitsucher
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, and I will assume you're not because it happens to be exactly that way. I've seen grocery stores where you can buy some edition of a philosophy book right there at the counter. It makes no difference where they buy it, but I'd say that the overwhelming majority of people who read philosophy, especially Kant, have no bloody idea of what they're doing.
By Red_Army
Clann, I have read that biography of Ho Chi Minh. It was long and very informative, but the excitement level is the same as most biographies. I still thought it was very interesting, and I read it with very little knowledge of Vietnamese history.
By galactus
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, and I will assume you're not because it happens to be exactly that way. I've seen grocery stores where you can buy some edition of a philosophy book right there at the counter. It makes no difference where they buy it, but I'd say that the overwhelming majority of people who read philosophy, especially Kant, have no bloody idea of what they're doing.

IMHO Critique Of Pure Reason is not a hard book to read, it's a bit tedious but if you understand the usual Kant lingo you will be fine.
By Puolueeton
Also reading

The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order by Samuel P. Huntington (for the second time)

and

The Last of The Mohigans By Cooper.

Berlin and last of the mohigans have priority now, though. Mohigans is for school and Berlin because its fucking good.[/b]
By Crazy Brown Guy
BERLIN - The Downfall 1945 by Antony Beevor. Its brilliant.
Isn't it The Fall of Berlin 1945 by the Beevor character?

I am also reading that book right now, how bizarre.
By Puolueeton
Well, on the cover of my book it says
"BERLIN
The Downfall 1945
Antony Beevor"

Sort of like this:
By Maxim Litvinov
I haven't read the Beevor book but I'm worried about it - does he approach the fall of Berlin with slimy Cold War rhetoric?

From what I've heard of him and the reviews I've read, he seems to see May 1945 less as the end of WWII and more of the start of the Cold War, and therefore his analysis focuses on the emergence of an 'evil Soviet empire' rather than the triumph of a nation which had sacrificed much to fend off and defeat the Nazis. Is that a fair comment?
By Crazy Brown Guy
:lol: you are right on.

The Berlin Book wrote:The Red Army had much to avenge when it finally reached the frontiers of the Reich in January 1945. Frenzied by their terrible experience with Wehrmacht and SS brutality they wreaked havoc--tank crushing refugee columns under their tracks, mass rape, pillage and destruction. Hundreds of thousands of women and children frozen to death or were massacred because Nazi Party chiefs, refusing to face defeat, had forbidden the evacuation of civilians. More then seven million fled westward from the terror of the Red Army. It was the most terrifying example of fire and sword ever known.
Little taste for you and this is just the start.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the evil Red Army
By Yeddi
I don't really see what's wrong with that.. it is one of the only books i've read (granted i haven't really read a great deal on the topic) that actually acknowledges the horrificness of what happened. So much attention is payed to the german attrocities in Eastern Europe but little to the millions of germans who were affected by the rape and terror of the Soviet advance west.
By Ombrageux
Believe it or not I'm not reading those books because of uni. I'm trying to write a short story on Turkey and the Kurds so I just wanted to make sure I knew my shit.
By QatzelOk
Looks like Antony Beevor has decided to specialize in the "Fall of Berlin" genre.

He was on Letterman last night plugging his latest "Fall of Berlin in Six Movements" piece that he wrote for the Berlin Philharmonic.

When Dave asked him why he limited himself to such an extent as an artist, he said, "Well Dave, I hate travelling. I only agreed to do your show because my publisher told me if I didn't, I'd risk losing funding for the "Fall Of Berlin" fastfood chain I've got in the works."

He actually said "verks" and the audience cracked up.
By Qm?
The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order by Samuel P. Huntington

I'm reading this as well...so far I'm finding it absolute shite.

I also just finished A Fine Balance and On the Road.
By Lokakyy

I'd say more like revealing. Though I believe Huntingtons tone has gotten a bit more negative after 9/11. Anyway, he makes gross generalisations in The Clash of Civilizations.

Personally, I'm reading

the non-fiction stuff
Hobsbawm, Eric: The Age of Empire. (1873 - 1914).
Foucault, Michel: Discipline and Punish.
and
P.D.Wodehouse:The Inimitable Jeeves
for fun.

One thing about Beevor - even though his books are always nice to read (even though a bit tedious when it comes to war history) and he seems to know his sources, something in his writing style is too popularised. It's not very bright nor even fair to use terms like "fat idiot" when describing some German officers, no matter how incompetent they were. To be honest, I find it rather hard to believe that all those Wehrmacht high staff that liked the Nazis were slobbering fools and incompetent idiots with nasty table manners - while those Beevor has chosen to glorify were excellent professional soldiers that in their heart hated the Third Reich.
By Apollos
I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist by Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek

Philosophical Foundations of a Christian World-View
by J.P. Moreland and William Lane Craig

Sometime soon I'll move on to:

Intelligent Design by William Dembski

Relativism: Feet Firmly Planted in Mid-Air by Gregory Koukl and Frank Beckwith

Be Intolerant, Because Some Things are Just Stupid by Ryan Dobson

And I might read The Hobbit again (this would be about the 11th time :eh: ). I love summer too :D And I get to learn Greek this summer.
By Ombrageux

It wasn't that bad. He scored good points about the fall of Westernized elites in the 3rd world, but after that it was just pointless generalizations and acting as if all elites of the world were just dumb sheep to be lumped according to religion/race.

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] Are you[…]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]

I (still) have a dream

Because the child's cattle-like parents "fol[…]