Now reading - Page 171 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By colliric
Potemkin wrote:Why do you think the English upper-middle classes love her work so much? She was one of them, and her novels reflect the superficiality, prejudices and stupidity of her class. The British upper classes really do think and talk like that. There's an easy way of fixing it: just don't read her books. Lol.

I don't think it's this. She's a good author, but let's face was also lazy a bit in writing some of her novels.

Characters always serve her specific overarching murder mystery formula. Problem is some of her book stick too strongly to the formula and don't feel creative enough as a result. Some were written to just sell because of her reputation and not the actual quality of the work.

In fact I think her actual best work is the play Witness For The Prosecution, turned into a great Charles Laughton film. I think people who think she is a bad writer obviously haven't seen it. It's a masterpiece.

She was a lazy author, but not a bad one. Similar to Steven King is at times I guess.
By Drlee
I like her. She is like relaxing with an old friend. Chatter in the background of a cluttered life.

But then I am a superficial person for the most part. When I am not working or doing charity I have had just about enough, thank you.
By Wellsy
Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird
By fuser

Shame on all of you for not telling me about Ursulak Le Guin before, I am disappointed in pofo.

By fuser
Left hand of darkness is on my reading list now.
By Potemkin
fuser wrote:Left hand of darkness is on my reading list now.

You should also read the Earthsea trilogy, and Always Coming Home. Oh, and Orsinian Tales. Hell, just read everything she's ever written. You won't regret it. :)
By Wellsy
Been reading Joe Abercrombies First Law series and think almost finished the trilogy.

Also reading Dune
Last edited by Wellsy on 10 Sep 2018 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
By Sivad
I stopped reading fiction since I discovered audiobooks. Those narrators do the books way more justice than I ever could. Right now I'm listening to the Frank Muller narration of Elmore Leonard's City Primeval.
By Victoribus Spolia
Finally started the original Dracula by Bram Stoker on Audible with the old lady.

very good so far.

its a shame there has been no true rendering of this story to the silver screen, i've seen a lot of vampire flicks and none are like the original (so far); its quite excellent.
By Pants-of-dog
I also support reading all the LeGuin books.

I am currently reading a trilogy by Stephen Baxter. It is all right.
By Drlee
I've been going through the Sherlock Holmes stories read by Edward Hardwick. Really good. I never go anywhere without audio books.

I have new Bluetooth headphones that are almost invisible.

I am teaching a class at the U of A and was waiting on campus, outdoors the other day, weather over 100 degrees, watching the absolutely adorable parade by my bench, and listening to Sherlock Holmes. That works for me.
By fuser
I am addicted to podcasts now but I don't really listen to audiobooks.
I am probably going to get put on a watch list for the FBI for this, but I just bought this for myself:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1932595805/?c ... _lig_dp_it

I've also pre-ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1524732303/?c ... _lig_dp_it

This pre-order being based on my great satisfaction with this brilliant masterpiece:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607740141/?c ... _lig_dp_it
By quetzalcoatl
fuser wrote:Shame on all of you for not telling me about Ursulak Le Guin before, I am disappointed in pofo.

In order to forestall future shame, I'm telling you to read this:

The Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand, Samuel R Delany.

Warning: Delany is not superbly balanced, like Le Guin. He is superbly unbalanced and wild.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Wow, @Tainari88 , you really don't know anything […]

I'm not American. Politics is power relations be[…]

@FiveofSwords If you want to dump some random […]

…. I don't know who in their right mind would be[…]