Now reading - Page 147 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Heisenberg
I only started reading it a couple of days ago, but I', enjoying it so far. It's a very complex, and the author (who used to work for MI6 himself) does a great job of immersing you in the world. Part of the appeal of it is that it isn't sensationalised, and portrays a lot of intelligence work as being an everyday job. I can understand why it might not adapt well to film.
By Red_Army
I'm reading The Man in the Iron Mask.

I couldn't find the 2 parts of the work between this final part and The Three Musketeers, but its pretty awesome even so.
By Pants-of-dog
Dumas novels are the action movies of their era. Love them.

I just finished reading almost all of Peter Clines's novels. Enjoyable, but no politics.
By RhetoricThug
Jacques Derrida
The Gift of Death & Literature in Secret

Translated by David Wills
By Sphinx
I started reading the autobiography of Mahathir Mohamad, the former prime minister of Malaysia. The book is called "A Doctor in the House: the Memoirs of tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad." It is a huge book: 950 pages of large size. I hope it will be a delicious read.
By Sphinx
Just finished reading Lenin's book "The state and revolution."

I didn't like his using the two phrases "democracy" and "dictatorship of the proletariate" interchangeably. Makes it sound like a piece of propaganda rather than political analysis.
By Baykok
Sphinx wrote:Just finished reading Lenin's book "The state and revolution."

I didn't like his using the two phrases "democracy" and "dictatorship of the proletariate" interchangeably. Makes it sound like a piece of propaganda rather than political analysis.

To be fair, the dictatorship of the proletariat is supposed to be the last dictatorship and the dictatorship to end class and state; and one that is the most democratic. Not dictatorship in the sense we in everyday life use the word, but in the sense that (as Marxist analysis puts it) all societies where there is class rule are dictatorships. Even bourgeois democracy, and even a proletarian democracy... so I guess if you accept the basic terminology, using the two notions interchangeably is forgivable.

Anyway, to not be full offtopic; I will soon finish Trouble in Paradise by Žižek.
By drum_tonnal
A short story about a dynamic American businessman who is visiting his properties in Scotland when he is told by a mysterious lake monster that he and only he was born with the powers necessary to free the world from the terrors of the Magic Ministry.

Guaranteed to be an eye-opener for people who have heard only one side of the story.

Last edited by noemon on 21 Aug 2016 21:20, edited 1 time in total. Reason: book promotions are not permitted here and this is not satire
By ThirdTerm

“Always get even. When you are in business, you need to get even with people who screw you.” – Think Big.

Perhaps this is the best advise he gave to his readers. Trump has an entire chapter dedicated for how to get even with your enemies who get in the way of your business or endeavour. Bullies would think twice about doing it again, if they are hit between the eyes.
By The Sabbaticus
Just finished the first of the Game of Thrones books. I can't believe the show didn't show all five thousand guests during the wedding banquet of Daenerys and Drogo. What a miserly show. I mean the book clearly states that there were five thousand guests. :excited:
By Pants-of-dog
I am reading some crappy sci-fi book while I wait for the next book in the Three Body Problem series.
By skinster
Last batch:

This was short and sweet and kind of amusing in parts.

A book called Love 2.0. by a forgettable psychologist...I read an article about the book in BrainPickings or whatever, which made the book appear interesting. Turns out it was about 20% good and really fucking cheesy for the most part, and obviously written for first-world brats.

This was pretty excellent, the writer lived amongst the poor in Wisconsin for a number of years and documented what happens to people who are poor; the men are usually sent to prison and the women deal with collective-punishment reguarly, in the form of evictions.

Brilliant. Everyone should read this.

Halfway through this and it's incredibly well written. Very informative and just..really fucking dark in parts where things in it won't ever leave me.....horrible things.

This next.

Let it be known that I now sell sex for books. This is half-true. :D
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This post was made on the 16th April two years ag[…]

Thank goodness saner heads and science is prevaili[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]