The US is a Developing Country - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15248092
A lot of cheap food is unhealthy. However, not all food. Bananas, apples, unsweetened apple sauce, baby carrots, fruit juice from concentrate are all pretty cheap as snacks for example. Water is free to drink.

Education and choice is also an issue with poor people. Nobody is forcing them to drink coke over water. Poor people generally have lower IQs for various reasons, and make poorer life choices, which is sometimes why they are poor.

Poor people also have less time to cook fresh meals (single working moms), and less time and money to exercise and join sports, gyms etc.
#15248094
wat0n wrote:@Pants-of-dog unironically believes being undernourished because you can't eat every day is not food insecurity :lol:


Please quote where I said that, thank you.

I think you may have misread the methodology.
#15248097
wat0n wrote:Who knows? At least when I downloaded the methodology, it doesn't say anything. It seems to be taken from some paper.


That's what I mean - reading that paper, it looks at the measures you said and uses them to determine tophic level.

Some marketing genius decided "hey, instead of boring people with 18 numbers, just give them the tophic number because its easy for the public digest".
#15248129
wat0n wrote:I didn't.


Since nothing you quoted shows that food insecurity is negatively correlated with obesity, it makes sense to assume you misread it since you claim it does say that.

Feel free to quote any source saying stunted kids don't face food insecurity.


If you think I argued that, you misread my posts too.
#15248133
Fasces wrote:That's what I mean - reading that paper, it looks at the measures you said and uses them to determine tophic level.

Some marketing genius decided "hey, instead of boring people with 18 numbers, just give them the tophic number because its easy for the public digest".


Would you quote from the paper? Thanks

@Pants-of-dog again, I provided you with the FAO (an UN body) definition of food insecurity. Undernourishment and stunting definitely are examples of food insecurity. The rest is just nonsense on your end.
#15248175
Pants-of-dog wrote:@wat0n

As long as we agree that obesity is not negatively correlated with food insecurity, as you incorrectly claimed.


That's what is stated in the methodology report, which I cited. Country level obesity rates are negatively correlated with undernourishment and stunting rates.

It's not my fault you can't deal with the facts.
#15248179
@wat0n

The part you quoted does not say anything about obesity being negatively correlated with anything.

It only says that obesity is not correlated with some other factors. If that is the part that made you think obesity was negatively correlated with food insecurity, you misread the report.
#15248181
Pants-of-dog wrote:@wat0n

The part you quoted does not say anything about obesity being negatively correlated with anything.

It only says that obesity is not correlated with some other factors. If that is the part that made you think obesity was negatively correlated with food insecurity, you misread the report.


You can simply open the report and see the correlation matrix:

Image
#15248192
Correlation doesn't equal causation.

But not having enough food will make you skinny.

Food nutrition/quality is different than food insecurity.
#15248524
Brookings wrote:
Amid a host of challenges, the three major priorities of this year’s United Nations General Assembly will be Russia’s war against Ukraine, climate change, and food shortages. Bruce Jones explains the sideline diplomacy happening in New York, and the rising tension between Western countries’ focus on geopolitics and the global South’s need for progress on climate change.

[Discussions on the war in Ukraine and the character of Zelensky]

PITA: So much of the focus is on the world leaders themselves, because, as you say, it is quite notable and important that they are all actually coming together in person. But the General Assembly extends both before they all get together, and after. What are some of the important things that are going on outside of the big speeches and all of the big media focus there.

JONES: A major part of what’s happening in the, what they called the side events, before and during and after, is a real focus on the implementation of the sustainable development goals. The seventeen goals around economic development and climate change were passed a few years ago, and remain the lode star in terms of international cooperation and the economic and social and the climate space. Progress in implementing the SDGs is lagging somewhat, unsurprisingly under current conditions. It’s a forum in which you can also talk about the effects of the COVID crisis which continue, the economic effects which can be deep, the social effects which have been substantial. So that will run throughout, and those issues will be in leaders’ comments as well.


@wat0n The UNSDG are a key point of focus for the General Assembly and especially, it seems, for nations in Asia and Africa.
#15248532
Is there a way to measure whether they care or not? Asian academia absolutely does - Japan, China and Korea are all in on the SDGs at a governmental and academic level (one reason I was so surprised so few on this forum knew what it was, since I consider them relatively ubiquitous since around 2019. Seoul Icheweon Airport even had a huge display we camped out under for a day when we were trying to avoid the first quarantine flights back into China in January 2020).
#15248533
Fasces wrote:Is there a way to measure whether they care or not? Asian academia absolutely does - Japan, China and Korea are all in on the SDGs at a governmental and academic level (one reason I was so surprised so few on this forum knew what it was, since I consider them relatively ubiquitous since around 2019. Seoul Icheweon Airport even had a huge display we camped out under for a day when we were trying to avoid the first quarantine flights back into China in January 2020).


Citations, and textbooks are good sources.

The issue with looking at what political entities do is, honestly, now shown with what's happened in the war between Ukraine and Russia. Weren't European governments happy to shut down their nuclear plants and to just import Russian gas because that made their energy grid "greener" for several years until this war made them... Reassess their energy policy?
#15248534
wat0n wrote:The issue with looking at what political entities


Political & academic. University competitions and innovation fairs involving high schools in which students use the SDGs as a framework have become super common in China and Japan.

I think the USA is very much not prioritizing or promoting them, but am unsure if that's just the USA (which was even called out on wikipedia for this) or a broader trend outside Asia/Africa (I work with several graduate and postgraduate students from Ethiopia, Rwanda, and Tanzania who confirm the SDGs are big at least in their countries).
Is there glory in war?

Depends on the war.

@QatzelOk The killings by poodles seems signific[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

rent-a-crowd :lol:

@Potemkin : One thing that strikes me about Em[…]