Changing the world, with 2 wheels and a battery - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
"Duncan’s experience hints at the promise of e-bikes in American culture. For more than a century, bicycle revivals have come and gone in the United States, each one presaging a return to gasoline vehicles.

But the appeal of e-bikes, especially among people who haven’t ridden a bike in decades, may help change cities’ car-centric ways. Cities are under growing pressure to reinvent themselves after the pandemic shifted how we live and work.From New York to Cleveland, city officials have rolled out measures to prod drivers to leave their cars at home, from closing streets to traffic to creating “15-minute cities” where life’s essentials are just a walk, bike or transit ride away. Vast networks of safe bike lanes are becoming mainstays of downtowns and business districts.

It wasn’t until she had a family that she considered riding again. “I was really thinking how do we manage a one-car household” So McCann bought a $4,000 Tern GSD — an unofficial abbreviation, she says, for “get s--- done.” She has since covered about 3,100 miles. “I would have gotten into a car and sat in traffic adding to the congestion and pollution,” she says. “But now the question when I get dressed in the morning is, ‘Can I bike in that?’”

“There’s something really special about being on a bike when the sun is coming up. All the shops are opening, it feels like a movie, and I get to do it every day,” she says. “My biggest regret after 12 years in San Francisco is not getting on a bike sooner."

Europe is way ahead of us, but I think we have crossed a threshold. It's becoming the new norm. I bought one a few years ago, changed my life for the better.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/10/17/electric-bikes-cars-cost-testing/
Pants-of-dog wrote:
Since I live in Edmonton, I find the problems that batteries have with temperatures below freezing are enough to make e-bikes problematic for anyone who does not have access to a heated parking space at home and at work.

Wow, that is really up there. How short do your days get, we get down to 9 hours of daylight.

You can take the batteries off the bike, but that doesn't help with the subzero wind chill...

late wrote:Wow, that is really up there. How short do your days get, we get down to 9 hours of daylight.

You can take the batteries off the bike, but that doesn't help with the subzero wind chill...

Well, I hate to say it. But the weather here is beautiful. Here is the seven day forecast.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/M% ... 5c71c34cc5
Pants-of-dog wrote:Since I live in Edmonton, I find the problems that batteries have with temperatures below freezing are enough to make e-bikes problematic for anyone who does not have access to a heated parking space at home and at work.

Well, I have found out my husband let the signal lights on all night and it made the car battery die out this morning. I could not leave the house like I had planned to do. So? I called my insurance for a battery jump. The service guy was late by over an hour for a simple battery jump. He then was rude as hell, and sexist and just a total asshole.

I reported him. To the insurance that pays his service.

I really dislike rude, sexist men. What a turn off. Lol. :roll:
late wrote:That's what we get in the summer.

I would guess your summers are a bit warmer than that...

Yes they are. They are usually really hot and humid. But my remedy is going to the cenotes, and beach swimming all the time. And air conditioning in my home. That is it. Also, taking off to other Mexican states that have better summertime temps.

The US is getting really hot in the summer months as well. I like Morelia, Michoacán in the summer. Springtime weather.
Tainari88 wrote:
Yes they are. They are usually really hot and humid. But my remedy is going to the cenotes, and beach swimming all the time. And air conditioning in my home. That is it. Also, taking off to other Mexican states that have better summertime temps.

The US is getting really hot in the summer months as well. I like Morelia, Michoacán in the summer. Springtime weather.

I had to look up cenotes, that sounds like fun.

I've been to Mexico, but just Bucerias, I'd love to go to the Yucatan, and other places.
late wrote:Wow, that is really up there. How short do your days get, we get down to 9 hours of daylight.

On the winter solstice, we get 7.5 hours of daylight.

Yes, removing the battery each time you park can prevent battery damage, but does little for the reduced range and performance.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Since I live in Edmonton, I find the problems that batteries have with temperatures below freezing are enough to make e-bikes problematic for anyone who does not have access to a heated parking space at home and at work.

It might make more sense to have hybrid bikes, for colder climates. (That way the regular combustion engine could be used to keep the battery warm) But those pushing the electric green agenda usually seem to have an all or nothing mentality, and won't support things unless they are 100% what they want.

And electric bikes still might not be the best choice for very long road trips covering vast distances in remote areas.

The one good thing that can be said of electric bikes is that the cost of the vehicle, which is largely due to the cost of the large battery bank, is very much dependent on the size and weight of the vehicle. So when we are talking about a very small vehicle like a bike, electric is not prohibitively expensive.

And I would also say if engine noise can be eliminated, that is a big plus when riding on a bike.
Puffer Fish wrote:It might make more sense to have hybrid bikes, for colder climates. (That way the regular combustion engine could be used to keep the battery warm)

I do just fine with a human powered bicycle.

And electric bikes still might not be the best choice for very long road trips covering vast distances in remote areas.

You can bring a bike on a train or bus.

The one good thing that can be said of electric bikes is that the cost of the vehicle, which is largely due to the cost of the large battery bank, is very much dependent on the size and weight of the vehicle. So when we are talking about a very small vehicle like a bike, electric is not prohibitively expensive.

And I would also say if engine noise can be eliminated, that is a big plus when riding on a bike.

And if you just buy a regular human powered bicycle, the cost is reduced to mind boggling lows. I was recently charged a service fee for a necessary repair on my bike. It cost 26$. A really expensive new part is about $100.
Pants-of-dog wrote:
Winter cycling is less daunting than it seems.

The biggest risk is panicking when the vehicle starts to slide, though I assume the same holds for motor vehicles.

The cure for that is a barrier. It need only be inches high, and that is enough to nearly always keep you from falling under a car. Also helps if it has width, a foot or two.

I am told that studded bicycle tires help a lot, but I haven't tried them.
late wrote:The cure for that is a barrier. It need only be inches high, and that is enough to nearly always keep you from falling under a car. Also helps if it has width, a foot or two.

I am told that studded bicycle tires help a lot, but I haven't tried them.

If you mean a protected bike lane separated from car traffic by barrier, then yes. It is a lot easier to not panic when you know there is no car behind you sliding towards you.

And yes, the studded tires help immensely.

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]