Jon Talks White Resentment with Isabel Wilkerson - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I don't think anyone is surprised.

I'm not surprised when my students bitch about their classwork and assignments. I'm not surprised when they call it unfair or mean.

Doesn't mean it would be a good thing for me to not give them any classwork or assess them on their skills.
I disagree. If you agree, as you said before, that it is government's job to help marginalized communities, then people getting upset because it disproportionately, per capita, helps visible minorities is entirely irrelevant. It is a good thing for government to do and helps build a better society, whether or not it is popular.

Students wanting not to do any academic work are wrong.

Children wanting to eat ice cream for dinner 7 nights a week are wrong.

The people whining about it are wrong. People who are resentful of aid to marginalized communities disproportionately helping visible minorities are wrong. White resentment is a problem because white resentment is wrong.

Their opinion is not equally valid. It isn't equally justifiable. It isn't worth accommodating. If they think

a) government should help people

and b) but not disproportionately, in any way, help visible minorities regardless of the statistical fact that these visible minorities are disproportionately poor in wealth or education

that is a racist opinion. It is OK to call it a racist opinion. Facts don't care about feelings.

"I think university aid in the US is racist and should be stopped because 8/10 black kids are eligible while only 2/10 white kids are eligible" is a belief rooted either in ignorance or racism or both. There is no third option.

I don't care whether its white americans bitching about black americans or chinese han bitching about chinese tibetans or white french complaining about african french, its the same garbage.
That would make sense if people were marginalized solely based on race, but that's not really the case.

In reality, marginalized communities can include people of any race, including Whites, and there are also nonwhite people, including Blacks, who are not marginalized to the point that they squarely belong to the elites.

As such, no, it doesn't make sense to help based on race when it comes to social policy or helping marginalized communities. If you want to help marginalized communities, do so directly and the best way to do so is to do so by income and not by race - as pretty much any normal state does, Western or not.

Note that this is not about feelings but doing the right thing. In fact, it's about doing what is actually the right thing instead of playing identity politics.
wat0n wrote:That would make sense if people were marginalized solely based on race, but that's not really the case.

You said as much fifteen posts ago. Are you actually going to say anything new?

The government make an aid program to help those in poverty attend college. It doesn't specify on the basis of race.

Nonetheless, such an aid program will inevitably send more money to the urban poor than the rural poor, just because the US is an urbanized country and more people live in cities than in rural areas. Any program that targets urban poor will, proportionally, affect a larger share of the black population than the white population, simply because black Americans.

This program ignores race and only looks at poverty rates. That must mean 10% of black Americans and 10% of white Americans will benefit! No. 19% of black Americans are eligible to benefit from this program. Only 8% of white Americans are.

This is not acceptable to a significant number of white Americans.

They will oppose the program as racist because it delivers aid to a higher share of black Americans than it does white Americans. It creates white resentment.

This sentiment is ignorant, racist, or both. This sentiment merits no accommodation.
Fasces wrote:You said as much fifteen posts ago. Are you actually going to say anything new?

The government make an aid program to help those in poverty attend college. It doesn't specify on the basis of race.

Nonetheless, such an aid program will inevitably send more money to the urban poor than the rural poor, just because the US is an urbanized country and more people live in cities than in rural areas. Any program that targets urban poor will, proportionally, affect a larger share of the black population than the white population, simply because black Americans.

This program ignores race and only looks at poverty rates. That must mean 10% of black Americans and 10% of white Americans will benefit! No. 19% of black Americans are eligible to benefit from this program. Only 8% of white Americans are.

This is not acceptable to a significant number of white Americans.

They will oppose the program as racist because it delivers aid to a higher share of black Americans than it does white Americans.

This sentiment is ignorant, racist, or both. This sentiment merits no accommodation.

You can actually use a real world example of that type of program: The Pell Grant

It benefits over 50% of African American and Hispanic students, and only 17% of White ones. Needless to say, eligibility is obviously lower among the general White population than among the general BIPOC population.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/708 ... y-race-us/

Yet there's widespread support for Pell Grants, among both Whites and BIPOC regardless of schooling. There's also widespread support for expanding it.

PR Newswire wrote:The findings show evidence of the public's support for the eligibility and access the Pell Grant provides, which would increase if the program, approaching its 50th year next June, was expanded. In a series of messages tested, the most convincing all touched on these themes, including: that Pell Grants "help low-income students, no matter their race, ethnicity, gender or age"; they help with tuition at any kind of two- or four-year institution or training program; expanding the Pell Grant would result in more working-class families becoming eligible for tuition help; and that the program is "proven" and "has bipartisan support." (See attached graphic)

Support for Pell transcends educational attainment. Near identical percentages of White and Non-White college graduates and those without four-year degrees support Pell. Sixty-eight percent (68%) of White college graduates and 69% of graduates of color support Pell, while 62% of White non-college graduates and 66% of non-college graduates of color support the program.

This is quite evidently because there is no obvious racial criteria in motivating those grants or in their eligibility conditions, even if they have a disparate positive impact on BIPOC.

So not only we have social security, but also the Pell Grant fits the hypothesis I mentioned earlier.
Until evidence is presented showing that social security is magically different from all the other wealth distribution projects that cause racial resentment, it is logical to assume that social security causes racial resentment.

Welfare does, and it has a far greater impact on wealth redistribution.

But it is informative to see how conservatives will focus on specific programs in order to convince themselves that racial resentment is not a significant factor.
Social security is not the only counterexample. As I showed earlier, there's also Pell Grants.

I've also seen polls suggesting there's widespread support for SNAP (food stamps), although they don't break respondes down by race of the respondent. Likewise, some of the Republican states that did not originally want to expand Medicaid eventually did so after voters chose to in direct ballot initiatives, the only place where it's failed has been Montana and it might have been because it was tied to a hike in cigarettes tax (reminds me of what happened with last year's abortion vote in Kansas).

So I don't find it all that strange, p-hacked papers aside.
If the argument is that white resentment is only a significant factor for certain forms of wealth distribution and not others, this does not contradict the claim that white resentment is a significant factor in many forms of wealth distribution.

All this means is that white resentment (as a factor opposing wealth distribution) is also influenced by another factor.

And we already know this from the previous evidence that shows that messaging is key. If white conservatives are told this is taking away their money to help mostly BIPOC people, they will change their tune from one of support to one of opposition.

If white conservatives see Social Security as benefiting mostly white people, then white resentment is not going to be an issue.
The information about who benefits most from the aforementioned programs is public yet people still hold favorable views on them and often vote for them when asked, even in states where most are Republicans.

I don't find it surprising that some whites will be against programs alleged to be designed to benefit people based on their race if they buy those allegations. After all, programs alleged to be designed to benefit whites more than BIPOC are often mentioned as examples of systemic racism by those who believe those allegations, including those who coin terms like "white resentment".

For both of those conservatives and progressives trying to play racial identity politics confronting Whites and BIPOC for political gain, the response should be the same: Just because there are racial differences on who benefits does not mean race is a criterion in the program's design or its operations. There can be many criteria used to design government programs with which that could happen that have nothing to do with race beyond a mere correlation. Using income as a criterion to receive government aid is one example, other criteria could involve elements such as veteran status, suffering from specific health conditions, urbanization or the lack thereof, level of literacy in English, and so on. Even programs aiming to reform policing, the court system and/or incarceration can perfectly count, even though they don't involve financial aid by the government the issues involved in those activities can and do affect everyone. The list of possible ways in which that could happen is virtually infinite.

Maybe it would be best to take the racial tinfoil hat off for once and simply analyze each program on its merits such as the incentives they generate, their cost to taxpayers or whether they are effective in the pursuit of their stated goals? It's just a suggestion, you know.
@wat0n you are missing an important point in all of this topic. What is white resentment? It is about how all races are identified in the US system. And from the inception of the beginning of the USA, it has been tainted with racism and racist categories, simply because it was a way of pitting all of the working class and rural peasant class of all races and cultures against each other. Divide and conquer. The USA had Bacon's Rebellion. The British favored the Indians of Virginia over poor farmers who were white due to a benefit of keeping them from competing for power with them. In the USA's history race and socioeconomic status went hand in hand. Inextricably linked. If you wish to destroy that link? You need to give up any conservative political leanings. None of the conservatives will ever give up that need to be dominant, to be elite, to be ruling class and to divorce race from ruling status in society. The only political class who allows real tokens and real social mobility that attempts to decouple the link between race and socioeconomic status in the USA is LIBERAL. From the left, like @late.

The farther to the Right one goes in the USA on the political spectrum the more status quo and fear based the repression and hatred of anything that is about racial justice and equality in the USA goes. The extreme Right is basically fascist Master race people. Scene from Charlottesville. They will not replace us is the slogan. They fear being replaced. By the scary Blacks, Latinos and Jews, etc. Replaced where? In positions of dominance, and power. If they did not fear that? They would not chant it.

There is fear in a big way in the Master Race, Far Right. And it is more of a threat in the USA than you would be willing to admit to Wat0n. You got some idea of Gringolandia that is way off the charts of bullshit in my opinion. You are a like a guy who came in to the final scene of a three act play to say one line and never studied the entire script before you did it.

The USA is not what you think it is. It is defective and is following a historical pattern of declining Empires. But? If you believe all the propaganda and bullshit it is easy to think your version is truthful.

Just ask all the African Americans from the highest social and economic status to the lowest. Do they feel safe driving on the road with the cops around? Have they ever been followed in a store because they might steal something? Have they been questioned in terms of competency for a position at a job or work place? If they went to the university where they ever questioned if they were smart enough? Did they actually write a paper or was it plagarized? I actually had an anthropology professor question one of my papers. He knew I was Puerto Rican. He thought I did not write the paper and plagarized it. I had to be called in to demonstrate it was my writing. Once it was proven I wrote it...he apologized to me.

Why did he question me? Because in his racist mind, a Puerto Rican girl did not write in English that well. And certainly not with the kind of originality he thought was someone else's. Why? because he grew up in Philadelphia in some all white neighborhood and the only Puerto Ricans he had known were all on welfare and never got great educations and were all janitors and low socioeconomic position people. They spoke broken English and were inferior. The racist mind is like that.

You are stuck coping with those people. @Pants-of-dog is right. It is up to us, the Latin Americans to fight that fight. The white resentment and the white people who are surrounded by their own privilege are all oblivious to the fucking racism because it does not affect them at all. @Fasces is analytical. He looks at the stats and says, shit the racism is real. The whitelash is real.

He does not waste time in denial. Denial is a waste of time.
If the argument is that white US conservatives do not perceive social security as benefiting mainly whites because of publicly available information, please note that messaging and perception are not necessarily based on facts and information.

If the argument is that we should be "colour blind", then please note that this simply ignores the fact that historical injustices and ongoing racism, such as that displayed by white resentment, have created (and still create) obstacles for BIPOC people and not whites.
Tainari88 wrote:@wat0n you are missing an important point in all of this topic. What is white resentment? It is about how all races are identified in the US system. And from the inception of the beginning of the USA, it has been tainted with racism and racist categories, simply because it was a way of pitting all of the working class and rural peasant class of all races and cultures against each other. Divide and conquer. The USA had Bacon's Rebellion. The British favored the Indians of Virginia over poor farmers who were white due to a benefit of keeping them from competing for power with them. In the USA's history race and socioeconomic status went hand in hand. Inextricably linked. If you wish to destroy that link? You need to give up any conservative political leanings. None of the conservatives will ever give up that need to be dominant, to be elite, to be ruling class and to divorce race from ruling status in society. The only political class who allows real tokens and real social mobility that attempts to decouple the link between race and socioeconomic status in the USA is LIBERAL. From the left, like @late.

The farther to the Right one goes in the USA on the political spectrum the more status quo and fear based the repression and hatred of anything that is about racial justice and equality in the USA goes. The extreme Right is basically fascist Master race people. Scene from Charlottesville. They will not replace us is the slogan. They fear being replaced. By the scary Blacks, Latinos and Jews, etc. Replaced where? In positions of dominance, and power. If they did not fear that? They would not chant it.

There is fear in a big way in the Master Race, Far Right. And it is more of a threat in the USA than you would be willing to admit to Wat0n. You got some idea of Gringolandia that is way off the charts of bullshit in my opinion. You are a like a guy who came in to the final scene of a three act play to say one line and never studied the entire script before you did it.

The USA is not what you think it is. It is defective and is following a historical pattern of declining Empires. But? If you believe all the propaganda and bullshit it is easy to think your version is truthful.

Just ask all the African Americans from the highest social and economic status to the lowest. Do they feel safe driving on the road with the cops around? Have they ever been followed in a store because they might steal something? Have they been questioned in terms of competency for a position at a job or work place? If they went to the university where they ever questioned if they were smart enough? Did they actually write a paper or was it plagarized? I actually had an anthropology professor question one of my papers. He knew I was Puerto Rican. He thought I did not write the paper and plagarized it. I had to be called in to demonstrate it was my writing. Once it was proven I wrote it...he apologized to me.

Why did he question me? Because in his racist mind, a Puerto Rican girl did not write in English that well. And certainly not with the kind of originality he thought was someone else's. Why? because he grew up in Philadelphia in some all white neighborhood and the only Puerto Ricans he had known were all on welfare and never got great educations and were all janitors and low socioeconomic position people. They spoke broken English and were inferior. The racist mind is like that.

You are stuck coping with those people. @Pants-of-dog is right. It is up to us, the Latin Americans to fight that fight. The white resentment and the white people who are surrounded by their own privilege are all oblivious to the fucking racism because it does not affect them at all. @Fasces is analytical. He looks at the stats and says, shit the racism is real. The whitelash is real.

He does not waste time in denial. Denial is a waste of time.

Are you saying most American whites think like that in 2023 or just that there is a fringe minority that does? Just how long ago did you have that experience with your professor?

You mentioned the so-called Replacement Theory, but it seems that what drives belief in that theory is not race but simply believing in conspiracy theories in general. Conspiracy nuts don't seem to belong to any particular demographic either, even though Republicans are somewhat more likely to believe in conspiracy theories in general (32% vs ~25% for Democrats and Independents).

AP-NORC wrote:...

Across the survey, Republicans have deep concerns about the potential impacts of immigration. However, those who express the strongest anxiety about immigration are people who believe in conspiracies. These Americans are defined as those most likely to agree with a series of statements including that “much of our lives are being controlled by plots hatched in secret places” and that “big events like wars, recessions, and the outcomes of elections are controlled by small groups of people who are working in secret against the rest of us.”

These conspiratorial thinkers closely resemble the general population in terms of their race, income, and education. However, this group consistently reports feeling discriminated against, is less trusting of new people, and is more likely to be evangelical and interpret the Bible literally. And people who believe in conspiracy theories are more than twice as likely as the general public to agree with both the core arguments behind Replacement Theory (42% vs. 17%).

“The people who hold conspiratorial beliefs don’t fit into any particular demographic,” said Jennifer Benz, deputy director of The AP-NORC Center. “In today’s media environment, when misinformation is so widespread, these results show that people from all kinds of political, demographic, and socioeconomic backgrounds can be susceptible to these narratives.” About a third (32%) of all Republicans register as high conspiratorial thinkers, compared to about a quarter of Democrats (24%) and independents (25%). White conspiratorial thinkers are also far more likely than other white Americans to believe they face discrimination in their daily lives because of their race.

I'll also note that, thus far, I've provided evidence of now two programs that benefit BIPOC more that receive widespread support nationally. I'll add a new one: Food stamps/SNAP, which also has widespread support, even among Whites.

Another issue has to do with the futility of using "race" as an analytic category. I'm actually having to deal with that in my job IRL, as it turns out I'm seeing from the American Community Survey (a yearly survey from the Census Bureau that is a "mini Census" of sorts since the sample corresponds to ~1% of all the US population and widely used for social science research) that many Hispanics went from self identifying as "White alone" to identifying as "Multiple races: White and Some Other Race" between 2019 and 2021. If around 5% identified as the latter in 2019, in 2021 the figure jumped to around 44%. If I had to bet, that "Some Other Race" is precisely Hispanic/Latino, but it's impossible to know for sure. By the way, I found about this problem because I was initially looking at the Puerto Rico figures. The pattern is the same, there the percentage jumped from 7% to 35% between 2019 - if you have an explanation I'll be happy to learn about the views of an actual Puerto Rican by PM since I don't know if this is a real thing or if there could have been differences in data collection between both years (also a possibility).

Anyway, something that is not futile is to consider income, a far, far more objective criterion - you either earn as much or little as required or you don't, period, even if it may be possible to commit fraud to get benefits (the same holds with race).

If you think race effectively divides the working class, an idea I find plausible although I think it's just something that happens rather than something planned by anyone, then you most certainly don't want to advocate using something as ethereal as race to assign benefits now in 2023 and reinforcing that process.

@Pants-of-dog available surveys suggest that perception does not hold for the Pell Grant and, as far as I'm aware, Social Security. I've seen some papers claiming it does exist for Medicaid, yet in practice voters still tend to vote for it when directly asked. It seems the purse is a powerful incentive for most people, regardless of feelings or ideology.

@late are you speaking personally?
DeSantis has pressured federal GOP politicians to attack social security and is in a war on education. The lack of dislike toward these programs says nothing except that Tucker Carlson and others haven't spent an hour explicitly stoking rage against these specific programs. They say nothing about the general trend and manifestation of white resentment in the US. Let's see where we are after the election cycle. :lol:
wat0n wrote:
You mentioned the so-called Replacement Theory, but it seems that what drives belief in that theory is not race but simply believing in conspiracy theories in general.

That is some of the most disingenuous bullshit I have ever seen.

It's about power, White Power, to be exact.
late wrote:That is some of the most disingenuous bullshit I have ever seen.

It's about power, White Power, to be exact.

It's not my fault that is exactly what survey evidence, which I quoted in the post, suggests. I also don't find it that odd that conspiracy theorists are the ones most likely to believe in conspiracy theories, regardless of race.

An interesting fact is that those who tend to buy more into conspiracy theories and identify with either party (Republican or Democrat) are more likely to believe in that silly theory.

https://apnorc.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... rt_V15.pdf

Fasces wrote:Actions speak louder than words. I have zero trust for him, and no reason whatsoever to believe a thing he says rather than things he has voted for... As recently as the last administration. :roll:

Agreed, we have to wait and see. And that's if DeSantis is indeed the GOP candidate and the POTUS, which is not a given.

But then again, you can't deny even Trump himself didn't radically alter Social Security or Medicare. Even for Medicaid, I think, his proposals weren't as radical as one could have expected. It's just too hard to do away with these programs, regardless of one's opinions about them.
On Self Interest

@Wellsy But if we were to define "moral […]

He did not occupy czechoslovakia. The people ther[…]

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]