2018 US Elections - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By One Degree
CNN is calling the House a toss up while Fox has already given it to the Democrats. Weird, apparently no one knows yet.
By Igor Antunov
Democrats needed to gain 40 flips to be able to do anything meaningful in the house, i.e impeach trump. It doesn't like they will gain much more than 20-30. Now Trump can use them as a punching bag for 2020 points, as everyone blames the house for obstructionism. In the mean time nothing changes there, as the republicans were obstructing Trump in house just the same. Now the blame can shift away from them.
By Albert
Ted Cruz won! Yeaaa! Suck it Beta!

Republicans keep the Senate!

@Igor Antunov
Jake Tapper also told me that that most house losses are coming from Trump Republican critics. So the next House republicans are going to be more Trump friendly.
Last edited by Albert on 07 Nov 2018 03:35, edited 2 times in total.
By Godstud
So... has the USA turned in upon itself and consumed itself, or is it mostly still standing?

Where's the pictures of burning cars and riots in the streets?
By Albert
So SJWs won back the Congress, this is going to be a poopshow from here on.

Lets take bets: How long do you think Trump will survive before he is impeached?

Edit: Trump canceled his speech.
By Albert
I'm going to have to see Freinstein and Hirono for the next 6 years. :|

Damn it! Republicans lost the Congress! People at CNN are laughing joyfully! What is going on!

*Don't let them see you cry like an SJW*
By Torus34
The biggest danger to American democracy is control of all the levers of power of the federal government by a single political party. This has been averted. Democracy abides in the land.
By Igor Antunov
The biggest long term danger to the welfare of an empire is ongoing paralysis. It leads to further polarization and ineffectiveness. Paralysis achieved once again. China and Russia will grow even stronger.
By colliric
Albert wrote:I'm going to have to see Freinstein and Hirono for the next 6 years. :|

Damn it! Republicans lost the Congress! People at CNN are laughing joyfully! What is going on!

*Don't let them see you cry like an SJW*

At the same time the fact is most sitting presidential parties lose the midterms, so Trump was no different.

The Republican Party smashed the Democrats in both 2010 & 2014.... The swing was absolutly massive in 2010. This has only been about 1/3 as big a swing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... ions,_2010

63 seat swing Republican

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... ions,_2014

Extra 13 seat swing Republican

..... They were due to get this one back. But Trump looks set to smash 2020....

Igor Antunov wrote:The biggest long term danger to the welfare of an empire is ongoing paralysis. It leads to further polarization and ineffectiveness. Paralysis achieved once again. China and Russia will grow even stronger.

We usually see a similar effect here in Australia. If the Liberal Party takes the Federal Government, the Labor Party usually has a better chance of winning State elections. That's the price of multi-election democracies.... Win one, lose the other.
Igor Antunov wrote:Democrats needed to gain 40 flips to be able to do anything meaningful in the house, i.e impeach trump.

This is absolutely wrong. On every conceivable level. I didn't bother reading past this sentence.

Dems needed 23 seats to swing the House. Swinging the house means they can begin impeachment proceedings, but the final vote is left up to the Senate. 2018 was a very unfavorable year for Dems in the Senate, since only 1/3rd of the Senate is up for votes every two years and they have a lot of incumbents in red states.

Having control of the House means one thing though: They get control of Congressional chairs and they can start dropping subpoenas like bombs. It's gonna be like Benghazi, but legitimate.

I mean, just what they could do with Scott Pruitt's tenure at the EPA alone could eat up months of news coverage.

The 2020 map puts the GOP on a similar defensive stance in the Senate.

Igor Antunov wrote:The biggest long term danger to the welfare of an empire is ongoing paralysis. It leads to further polarization and ineffectiveness. Paralysis achieved once again. China and Russia will grow even stronger.

These are just dumb platitudes in a, frankly, moronic attempt to condemn Americans for not going full Australian and creating our own Nauru.
By colliric
Having control of the House means one thing though: They get control of Congressional chairs and they can start dropping subpoenas like bombs. It's gonna be like Benhazi, but legitimate.

Doubtful... Maxine might be nuts enough to do it, but will that go anywhere now? The time has already arrived to begin working on the Presidential 2020 campaign.... That's the way your system works. One election Campaign ends, the next begins.

Trump is still gonna ram shit through and you know it!

SpecialOlympian wrote:These are just dumb platitudes in a, frankly, moronic attempt to condemn Americans for not going full Australian and creating our own Nauru.

??

You did go full Australian.... Vote hardcore Liberal at the Federal election then immediately vote Labor at the next State election...

Got to "keep those federal bastards in check!".... Lol.
Last edited by colliric on 07 Nov 2018 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

The state of Israel is not a continuation of th[…]

I don't quite understand what you're asking me, n[…]

Ukraine's national debt has about doubled since th[…]

Turkey should accept them, they have money and ar[…]