How immigration helps the US economy: Report - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
How immigration helps the US economy: Report
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/new-e ... omy-Report

Contrary to popular belief, immigration has benefited the US economy and had little effect on the overall wage gap and job market, according to a report by the The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine.

The report updates a 1997 document that detailed the fiscal effects of the 40 million immigrants on the US economy and labor market. The update comes at a time when immigration has come to the forefront of political thought and has become a decisive issue in the presidential election.

When looking at the big picture, the researchers found "little evidence that immigration significantly affects the overall employment levels of native-born workers."

"Immigration enlarges the economy while leaving the native population slightly better off on average," they wrote, "but the greatest beneficiaries of immigration are the immigrants themselves as they avail themselves of opportunities not available to them in their home countries."

While compiling the report, they struggled with gaps in immigration data that made it difficult to distinguish between documented and undocumented immigrants and the effects those groups have on the economic climate. But despite the missing data, the report is the most comprehensive study of its kind.

Yes, they said, an immigration-fueled increase in lower skilled workers can depress wages for other groups of lower-skilled workers, such as previous waves of immigrants, high school dropouts, or teenagers looking for a summer job. However, the effect more often translates into fewer hours for employees than lower wages or less employment.

Additionally, an increasing number of immigrants are highly skilled workers with college degrees and skills that benefit the economy through innovation and entrepreneurship and actually drive up wages and job opportunities for immigrants and native-born citizens, they found. Additionally, second-generation immigrants – people born in the US to foreign-born parents – contribute to the economy as taxpayers and workers.

"The prospects for long run economic growth in the United States would be considerably dimmed without the contributions of high-skilled immigrants," the researchers wrote.

But while immigration has benefited the nation as a whole, the report noted, some areas face increased challenges. Over the next 75 years, the researchers predict, the economic impact of immigration will be "generally positive at the federal level and negative at the state and local levels," due to strain on government resources and programs.

Pia Orrenius, a senior economist with the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas and a member of the panel that wrote the report, told the Dallas Morning News that using the short-term negative impact to cut funding for schools or other programs that immigrants tend to take advantage of would be foolish, since having an educated workforce is necessary for long-term economic growth.

If anything, she said, "it argues for having a really good immigration policy," so that the labor force can be even stronger in the future.

It comes to the conclusion I have arrived at; better immigration policy and control, not complete jingoistic denial of reality... and to balance things out, that contorl needs to divert work-resources to lower population areas.
The timing of the report is suspicious, in light of the fact that the last time they bothered to investigate this matter was in 1997. :lol: :knife: If I was an American I would cast doubt on the report's timing and findings, with the burden of proof resting on this org rather than the sceptic.
The Sabbaticus wrote:The timing of the report is suspicious, in light of the fact that the last time they bothered to investigate this matter was in 1997. :lol: :knife: If I was an American I would cast doubt on the report's timing and findings, with the burden of proof resting on this org rather than the sceptic.

This is likely just a summary of existing research on the topic. There's plenty. Just google it.

And the result is not surprising at all.
Why would I even bother googling it? We have 'The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine' doing it for us, according to you. Suppose we're going to have to wait another twenty years for a response from this org.
The only people who benefit from immigration are middle class and upper class people, a liberal voting bloc that never lives around their imported populations yet extolls diversity, and benefits from the cheap labor. The native working class loses and, for its culture, is condemned as on the wrong side of history by the elite
Report is bullshit. There is no way in hell immigrants benefit the economy as a whole, the rich and upper class sure, but in general no way. Not to mention report does not take into consideration the negative social implications of immigration, that have secondary effects on economy and society as a whole down the line, especially long term.
First of all quote me fully, second of all you do not need to be a scientist to see the obvious.

And btw, where is "your data"? What you provided is an opinion of an "expert" without any research data but just their conclusion and opinion of data that they do not even release.
Albert wrote:And btw, where is "your data"? What you provided is an opinion of an "expert" without any research data but just their conclusion and opinion of data that they do not even release.

Um, did you read the article?

EDIT

"My" data is the same data the article is presenting.
Muslims aren't the ones doing the vast majority of the shootings, stabbings, Suntzu, but keep believing that myth. Faith is a powerful thing. You can believe in a man who walked on water, and bullshit like that, with it.

Muslims are the most victimized group in America, but not the most violent. That honour is reserved for home-grown 'Mericans!
Keep believing the myth that all Muslims are a threat to you. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer on that.

In the US, you have a better chance of death by cop, than death by Muslim.

Christians have conflicts the world over, as well- See USA. Quit pretending it's about religion, when it's about US imperialism and the fallout from stealing resources, invasions, drones strikes, and manipulating foreign governments.
The Bible condones rape, slavery, and other terrible things in it, as well. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Zagadka wrote:Um, did you read the article?

EDIT

"My" data is the same data the article is presenting.
So where is the research data that the article is presenting? All I see is conclusion.

There is no data, that is my whole point. Not even examples.
The reality is that in wealthier countries growth and inequality are inextricably linked. Immigration is a net factor in the perpetuation of this model of growth. So going around saying "immigrants help the economy grow!" is positively disconnected from the experiences of labour. Whatever you want to call this (((growth))), it ain't me, babe.
Last edited by Donna on 28 Sep 2016 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

Mexico, LoL, why would anyone nuke Mexico. Drlee[…]

Major General Harri Ohra-Aho on Russia's decision […]

Uh...there isn't an 'England gene'...if that is w[…]

Back on topic , here are my results . Care-85 […]