No Repeal of Obamacare - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Zagadka wrote:
But importantly, it gives tax breaks to insurance execs making over $500k.

Who couldn't use a tax break, especially someone making over $500k?
Vlerchan wrote:Part of me wonders - and then worries - is if the title is as it is because Trump chose it, or because House Republicans legitimately believe that, if he isn't onboard 100% yet, the title will get him there.

They are out of their fucking minds. They thought we were fooled. Paul Ryan is a god damned Democrat. These people think the Tea Party is going to be mollified. It's not. We're going to keep on coming. We're going to raise hell from here to eternity. I could care less if world war three happens. I want to see them lose. I want to see their heads on the tops of pikes. God I hate them.

Hindsite wrote:It seems to me that some Democrats must be happy with the new bill, because House Speaker Ryan says he has the votes necessary to pass it.

Let him. Let's find a way to challenge him. We can primary him in 2018. Make the son of a bitch eat his own liver.

You know, Trump is a traitor. I know this because Alchemy and Zagadka said so.
By Zagadka
blackjack21 wrote:You know, Trump is a traitor. I know this because Alchemy and Zagadka said so.

If you're going to use the same standards as Trump claiming Obama wiretapped him, then certainly. Only there actually is some evidence for my thing.

Unless you ignore Flynn and Sessions (and whoever comes next), though we both know that you already do.
[quote]blackjack21 wrote:
You know, Trump is a traitor. I know this because Alchemy and Zagadka said so.[quote]

You are mistaken if you think I believe Alchemy and Zagadka know what the hell they are talking about.
Hindsite wrote:The average Joe or Mary will get a tax break.
You apparently was not listening to the Trump of God.

Where the hell is my tax break then? I am waiting!!!

Just because one senator called this new act Obamacare-lite, does not mean that this act will pass. There are Republicans who are against this legislation because it will leave millions of Americans in the cold, without insurance or any kind of help. Someone like my mother who is old but still too young to collect Medicare benefits, will probably not get a tax subsidy as they did under Obamacare and that is just WRONG. Older people have much higher insurance premiums than the young ones. My premium is around 200 bucks but hers, upwards of 600 or 700 bucks a month, easily. So you do the math!
If this doesn't pass, the GOP will just gut Obamacare, watch it fail, and then blame Democrats.

The Democrats are too shit at messaging to do anything about it.

The best strategy for the Dems would be to silently let this go through with as much fuss as possible, and with a realistic barely-related concession like generic drugs being put into the program. Then watch GOPcare fail, then surf the the possibly tens of millions of people kicked out of the system and losing bennies to an electoral victory. From there, they have the drug concessions, look like an authority, and can push for something stronger and more robust than Obamacare.

But that, of course, assumed the Democrats are competent and above board. Which they are neither.
MistyTiger wrote:
Where the hell is my tax break then? I am waiting!!!

You haven't been listening. Congress has already said they have to do the Obamacare replacement first before they can work on a new tax bill.
Just keep waiting for awhile longer. You'll see. Believe me.

Do you think keeping Obamacare is a good deal for your mother at 600 to 700 bucks a month now?
The fear from the Republicans is those prices for coverage will go higher and higher if nothing is done.

I am retired military and use Medicare and Tricare for life for my health coverage. So the only reason I am against Obamacare, as it stands, is that I saw a reduction in medical equipment coverage for my handicapped wife. But it is still okay because I have a very good retirement income and can afford it.
By Drlee
If this doesn't pass, the GOP will just gut Obamacare, watch it fail, and then blame Democrats.

The Democrats are too shit at messaging to do anything about it.

The best strategy for the Dems would be to silently let this go through with as much fuss as possible, and with a realistic barely-related concession like generic drugs being put into the program. Then watch GOPcare fail, then surf the the possibly tens of millions of people kicked out of the system and losing bennies to an electoral victory. From there, they have the drug concessions, look like an authority, and can push for something stronger and more robust than Obamacare.

But that, of course, assumed the Democrats are competent and above board. Which they are neither.

Every word of this is true.

That is exactly what they should do. Call it Republican care or Trump care every time and without fail and let them face plant.
The amusing part is where it is asserted because Dems aren't "above board" they won't do this when in actuality they won't because a good number of them would believe it's unethical.

Sure Democrats are too disorganized to do this, but the problem isn't really that they are evil or corrupt.
mikema63 wrote:The amusing part is where it is asserted because Dems aren't "above board" they won't do this when in actuality they won't because a good number of them would believe it's unethical.

Sure Democrats are too disorganized to do this, but the problem isn't really that they are evil or corrupt.

The two problems are the same. There are ten seats in 2018 in states that Trump carried in 2016. The Democrats are, obviously, going to want to carry those. In order to do so, they're going to try and eventually start hedging their best. Further, as much as they like to deny it, the Democrats are funded in very much the same way the Republicans are. They're in a good position now to posit themselves a lot of money from healthcare companies and interests that don't see profits in Trump's plan. The more the Democrats hope to court those interests, the less free they are to come up with a good plan instead of one that is beneficial to their constituents that include the healthcare industries that were previously the enemies of a lot of this stuff.

Finally, they are still a parliamentary party that ideologically sees nothing incorrect with the kind of fund soliciting that they're doing. Even your Bernie Sanders wing of the party is going to look the other way about getting into bed with Big Pharma (or whoever) because they ultimately believe that the extra money is going to be good for races and put things they want into reach.

This would almost be excusable except, as you yourself point out, the Democrats are very bad at holding single ideological mission that they can relentlessly pursue quick enough to take from Peter to pay for Paul and still get Peter's money back to him in a little bit.
TIG

I think the lion's share of Congress would cheerfully love to do away with these superpac gizmos, and maybe even cap campaigns in general. There are only a few as wealthy as McCain and Kerry, no one got the free TV time Trump had. Stuffing the war chests is arduous.
skinster wrote:
I don't know if this is the thread where I should boast about not having to pay a fee for not having Obamacare this year.

Go ahead and boast. I did not have to pay a fee either, because I am military retired and received Form 1095-B Healthcare Coverage from DOD.
Stormsmith wrote:I think the lion's share of Congress would cheerfully love to do away with these superpac gizmos, and maybe even cap campaigns in general. There are only a few as wealthy as McCain and Kerry, no one got the free TV time Trump had. Stuffing the war chests is arduous.

I have no doubt. But that's part of the reason getting a big industry behind you is going to be as tempting as it is.
Hindsite wrote:
You haven't been listening. Congress has already said they have to do the Obamacare replacement first before they can work on a new tax bill.
Just keep waiting for awhile longer. You'll see. Believe me.

Do you think keeping Obamacare is a good deal for your mother at 600 to 700 bucks a month now?
The fear from the Republicans is those prices for coverage will go higher and higher if nothing is done.

I am retired military and use Medicare and Tricare for life for my health coverage. So the only reason I am against Obamacare, as it stands, is that I saw a reduction in medical equipment coverage for my handicapped wife. But it is still okay because I have a very good retirement income and can afford it.

Without Obamacare, she would pay 600 or 700 bucks a month. With the ACA, she only has to pay around 200 a month. It really benefits her.

The military gives good pensions but the majority of industries do not. Most people who are not retired military, may only get a pittance in social security benefits each month.

My parents are just lucky that they have saved up and they have mutual funds and 401 Ks to fall back on.
These reason I get a good retirement is not only my military retirement, but because I worked, planned, and saved for my retirement so that I now have 4 sources of retirement income. That is what a responsible person does.
MistyTiger wrote:
Without Obamacare, she would pay 600 or 700 bucks a month. With the ACA, she only has to pay around 200 a month. It really benefits her.

Okay, I understand now; but why not give the Republicans a chance to to see what they can do. Maybe, it will not be as bad as you think. Also keep in mind that there are many people that are not happy with Obamacare.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@Rancid anyone who applauds and approves genocida[…]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be als[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]