No Repeal of Obamacare - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Hindsite
The new congressional bill that is supposed to repeal and replace Obama's Affordable Care Act is only an amendment and states so at the very beginning.

One congressman may have had a slip of the tongue when he said, We think the bill repeals and repairs Obamacare."

"Repair" has a different meaning than replace. So it turns out that at this point it is only a revision of the old Obamacare with a different name, American Healthcare Act. I wonder if Trump is going to fall for this fraud. We shall see.
By Beren
Hindsite wrote:I wonder if Trump is going to fall for this fraud. We shall see.

I wonder if Trump opposes Obamacare more than Congressional Republicans do. We shall see.

Part of me wonders - and then worries - is if the title is as it is because Trump chose it, or because House Republicans legitimately believe that, if he isn't onboard 100% yet, the title will get him there. Because I don't think that bill could have had a more Trumpian title if we had all gotten together and tried.
Beren wrote:
I wonder if Trump opposes Obamacare more than Congressional Republicans do. We shall see.

It seems to me that some Democrats must be happy with the new bill, because House Speaker Ryan says he has the votes necessary to pass it.
By Suntzu
The problem with American healthcare is not the method of payment but the fact that we are paying double what any other industrialized country is paying per capita. We are paying about 10% of GDP while most other countries are paying around 5%.
I think we are going to have to do more than just double our GDP to solve Obamacare.
Even Hillary's husband, Bill Clinton, said Obamacare was a crazy system.
By Beren
Hindsite wrote:Even Hillary's husband, Bill Clinton, said Obamacare was a crazy system.

He said it at a campaign rally and clarified later.
CNN wrote:"So you've got this crazy system where all of a sudden 25 million more people have health care and then the people who are out there busting it, sometimes 60 hours a week, wind up with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half. It's the craziest thing in the world," Clinton said.

On Tuesday, he tried to clean up his criticism.

"Look, the Affordable Health Care Act did a world of good, and the 50-something efforts to repeal it that the Republicans have staged were a terrible mistake," Clinton said at a rally in Athens, Ohio. "We, for the first time in our history, at least are providing insurance to more than 90% of our people."

"But there is a group of people -- mostly small business owners and employees -- who make just a little too much money to qualify for Medicaid expansion or for the tax incentives who can't get affordable health insurance premiums in a lot of places. And the reason is they're not in big pools," Clinton said. "So they have no bargaining power."

I'm sure it helped the Clinton campaign a lot, and now we know at least why Obama seemed somewhat reluctant to support it actively.
By Rugoz
Vlerchan wrote:SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE; PURPOSES; TABLE OF CONTENTS.
(a) Short Title.—This Act may be cited as the “World’s Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017”.

Wtf? :lol:

America has become a comedy show.
By Suntzu
Rugoz wrote:Wtf? :lol:

America has become a comedy show.

Maybe as far as healthcare when compared to Switzerland. Even here it is spotty. I get excellent healthcare and pay nothing out of pocket. It takes me about a hour to see a doctor even without an appointment. How's the weather? Its been in the 80s here. :lol:
By Saeko
Vlerchan wrote:
Part of me wonders - and then worries - is if the title is as it is because Trump chose it, or because House Republicans legitimately believe that, if he isn't onboard 100% yet, the title will get him there. Because I don't think that bill could have had a more Trumpian title if we had all gotten together and tried.

This is gonna get vetoed. The new name will be:

"The World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of All Time. Wonderful Act. Really, It's Just Gonna Be The Best Healthcare Plan You've Ever Seen, Folks. I Promise You That. It'll Be Great."
Suntzu wrote:
Maybe as far as healthcare when compared to Switzerland. Even here it is spotty. I get excellent healthcare and pay nothing out of pocket. It takes me about a hour to see a doctor even without an appointment. How's the weather? Its been in the 80s here.

Eh...what?

It's irrelevant whether the plan is good or not, it's just an utterly ridiculous name.
Saeko wrote:
This is gonna get vetoed. The new name will be:

"The World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of All Time. Wonderful Act. Really, It's Just Gonna Be The Best Healthcare Plan You've Ever Seen, Folks. I Promise You That. It'll Be Great."

Now that sounds more like it. Who could possibly object to that?
She left out the all important imperative, "Believe me!!!"
By Drlee
The AMA has opposed this bill. It is DOA.
Zagadka wrote:
The name is very Trumpian. “World’s Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017. The best, believe me. I know. Great. Tremendous.”

I just found out why "of 2017" was added to the name. It is because this is only supposed to be the first phase of the repeal and replacement of Obamacare that may take several years. There is need of a transition period to not unfairly disadvantage those that have been helped by Obamacare so that they can retain their healthcare at the same level they receive now. This first bill is a limited healthcare plan to repeal and amend much of Obamacare until addition improvements can be debated and agreed on in the coming years when it will become the “World’s Greatest Healthcare Plan" that Trump promised.

It makes more sense to me now, if that is true.
One senator has called it Obamacare-lite.

I do not like this new act. It costs more than the ACA. And if it is passed, less than 90% of the US will have insurance coverage. It will be likee before Obamacare, in a way. Civilians will suffer and insurance companies will be happier.
One senator has called it Obamacare-lite.

MistyTiger wrote:
I do not like this new act. It costs more than the ACA. And if it is passed, less than 90% of the US will have insurance coverage. It will be likee before Obamacare, in a way. Civilians will suffer and insurance companies will be happier.

One Senator? That's not bad. That means there is a good chance it will pass and go to President Trump for signing.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]