New York could become largest state to offer tuition-free public higher education - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
This totally goes against what Donald Trump wants. He doesn't want an educated public, but thankfully some saner minds are doing things at the state level. Tell me what you think, Trump supporters. Is this good, or bad for Trump's tenure?

New York could become largest state to offer tuition-free public higher education
Budget negotiators struck a deal late Friday that could make New York the largest state to offer tuition-free public higher education.

The $163 billion state budget agreement includes the Excelsior Scholarship, which covers tuition for any New Yorker accepted to one of the state’s community colleges or four-year universities, provided their family earns less than $125,000 a year.

Proposed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo in January, the scholarship taps into one of the Democratic Party’s most popular ideas and advances a bipartisan movement to lower the cost of college that is taking shape across the country.

[New York takes a stab at debt-free college, covering tuition for families earning less than $125,000]

“Today, college is what high school was — it should always be an option even if you can’t afford it,” Cuomo said in a statement Saturday. “With this program, every child will have the opportunity that education provides.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... 35b02ecb2a
The conservatives will counter this with questioning of the L.A. curriculum, removing much of the humanities part of General Education, and this could potentially result in a further, "Businessization," of the university system...Turning it into just a, "learn skills," rather than a, "learn concepts," environment.
Godstud wrote:This totally goes against what Donald Trump wants. He doesn't want an educated public, but thankfully some saner minds are doing things at the state level. Tell me what you think, Trump supporters. Is this good, or bad for Trump's tenure?

New York could become largest state to offer tuition-free public higher education
Budget negotiators struck a deal late Friday that could make New York the largest state to offer tuition-free public higher education.

The $163 billion state budget agreement includes the Excelsior Scholarship, which covers tuition for any New Yorker accepted to one of the state’s community colleges or four-year universities, provided their family earns less than $125,000 a year.

Proposed by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo in January, the scholarship taps into one of the Democratic Party’s most popular ideas and advances a bipartisan movement to lower the cost of college that is taking shape across the country.

[New York takes a stab at debt-free college, covering tuition for families earning less than $125,000]

“Today, college is what high school was — it should always be an option even if you can’t afford it,” Cuomo said in a statement Saturday. “With this program, every child will have the opportunity that education provides.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... 35b02ecb2a

Failure of liberal run public education.
Wow! This is epic! I hope that this does work out. Then someday it could be expanded to other states. The young deserve a chance to pursue their dreams without the heavy burden of debt. It is hard to find work after graduation and it is just that much more painful to face rejection when you got debt on your shoulders and no way to pay it off.
Hong Wu wrote:I've noticed a correlation between free higher education and groupthink. I think I'm onto something!

Is this just a theory or based on fact? Hmmm...

Because if we want to go on theory, the opposite seems true to me. Educated folks are more likely to be socially awkward loners who just don't understand groupthink.
MistyTiger wrote:Is this just a theory or based on fact? Hmmm...

Because if we want to go on theory, the opposite seems true to me. Educated folks are more likely to be socially awkward loners who just don't understand groupthink.

This is how they describe themselves or see themselves, it's not really true. New York state is already a satellite of the New York city populations, if they use their stock broker tax money to start giving out free tuition, it will largely be in pro-liberal, pro-New York policy courses.

For example, Sweden has free college (for people who meet state-mandated criteria, that's how it must be) and we see how that's turning out.
Hong Wu wrote:This is how they describe themselves or see themselves, it's not really true. New York state is already a satellite of the New York city populations, if they use their stock broker tax money to start giving out free tuition, it will largely be in pro-liberal, pro-New York policy courses.

For example, Sweden has free college (for people who meet state-mandated criteria, that's how it must be) and we see how that's turning out.

Norway has free public college and Norway is the happiest country in the world. It works for them.

NY socialites and stock brokers should spread their wealth a bit more. I would like to see if it can work in the US.
Whoah, education doesn't mean intelligent. I know some amazingly educated people who are dumb as shit, and lack common sense. Outside their "field of expertise" they are numb-nuts. :lol:

Intelligence combined with common sense is "smart".

At least that's my take on it.

Yes, ignorance might be bliss, but stupidity isn't a trait we want to pass on.
Now slow down conservatives. Let this conservative remind you of what you claim to believe.

1. You believe that the federal government should be out of the education business. This is a state program. It will lessen the need for federal student loans. If enough states dealt with the cost of college we could eliminate federal aid to students altogether.

2. We conservatives believe in states rights. This is a state program. It is constitutional according to the NY Constitution. It was approved by their elected officials.

We might oppose it because it is a welfare program in essence but unless we are from New York we do not have a dog in the fight and must not forget that. The voters of New York are the only ones with a dog in the fight.
Godstud wrote:Whoah, education doesn't mean intelligent. I know some amazingly educated people who are dumb as shit, and lack common sense. Outside their "field of expertise" they are numb-nuts. :lol:

Intelligence combined with common sense is "smart".

At least that's my take on it.

Yes, ignorance might be bliss, but stupidity isn't a trait we want to pass on.

Ignorance is not bliss. That saying annoys me. Maybe they mean that innocence is bliss, being unaware of darkness that comes with knowledge and experience.

People who get a lot of schooling could be considered "book-smart". You could also call them walking encyclopedias.

I love skits where they make fun of dorky scholars. They can bore out the girls and guys with their talk about organisms or whatnot and yet they have no clue about how to survive in the wilderness without electricity. We call them book-smart but street-dumb in my house.
Georgia, the state I live in, has been offering tuition-free higher education for many years. It is called the Hope Scholarship and any student that graduates high school with a B average gets it.
That is the way it should be done, by the states, not by the federal government.

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mal[…]

^ unless it is an Israeli embassy that gets blown […]

@Rich Not for the dead.

"The United States last week secretly shipped[…]