SC; North Carolina Districts a 'Racial Gerrymander' of Blacks - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Suntzu wrote:I would support some sort of unbiased algorithm to draw congressional districts.
Whenever a democrat writes a program it is done to benefit the democrats. Whenever a republican writes a program it is done to benefit the republicans. How about we just go one person one vote.
mikema63 wrote:I don't think African Americans are gerrymandered due to the direct racism of Republicans, they just want o get elected. That doesn't mean it's not systematic discrimination against them. In fact its a pretty explicit example.

Anyway, I would love to see some algorithmic method of district drawing implemented, like a shortest splitline algorithm or something along those lines.

No, I'm saying that SolarCross' argument is extremely racist, because he is aplogizing for an injustice on the grounds that a whole race of people is bringing it upon themselves. It's completely absurd.
Suntzu wrote:We have that now. The 435 congressional districts are pretty equal in population.

You apparently do not understand how gerrymandering works. If you have 50-50 population balance, gerrymandering rigs it so that you take districts that are strongly one side and group them together, while making other districts learn the other way.
No, I'm saying that SolarCross' argument is extremely racist, because he is aplogizing for an injustice on the grounds that a whole race of people is bringing it upon themselves. It's completely absurd.

Oh yeah that's fair.

Or maybe we just implement the system that 75% of other democracies have and just to one person one vote so that republicans are not disproportionately represented?

Sure, and once we get the constitutional amendment passed by the people who get their power from the current system we will be golden.

My things easier though.
Zagadka wrote:You apparently do not understand how gerrymandering works. If you have 50-50 population balance, gerrymandering rigs it so that you take districts that are strongly one side and group them together, while making other districts learn the other way.

I know how gerrymandering works. If Blacks, for instance, who make up 13% or so of the population were evenly distributed throughout the population they would hold no seats in congress. Districts were formed that are heavily Black to get Blacks elected.

My county has four county precincts each electing a county commissioner. When Mexican were a minority the precincts were drawn to create a safe Mexican precinct. Now that Whites are a minority the lines were drawn to create four precincts with Mexican majorities
Saeko wrote:No, I'm saying that SolarCross' argument is extremely racist, because he is aplogizing for an injustice on the grounds that a whole race of people is bringing it upon themselves. It's completely absurd.

As a pejorative the word racism has completely worn smooth from overuse. That said I am not apologising for anything (I am not even in a position to gerrymander in the UK let alone the US!) all I am doing is explaining why it happens.

Also hilarious that Lyndon Johnson attracts no accusations of racism but I do!

There is a difference between seeing the October […]

Not well. The point was that achieving "equ[…]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]