Demonstrators erect teepee on Parliament Hill to protest Canada Day - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3564602/teepee-parliament-hill-canada-day/

Ok what is wrong with these people?
"Police had blocked the group just inside the gates to Parliament Hill on Wednesday evening as demonstrators carried wooden poles on their shoulders to erect a teepee."
If I went to Parliament Hill and tried to pitch a tent, the RCMP would stop me too.
What gives these people the right to get away with "slagging" our nation in this manner?
On our nation's 150th birthday no less.
Completely bereft of respect.
I think the intentional cultural genocdie perpetrated against indigenous people in Canada, as well as the lack of debate concerning Canada's 150 years of oppression, gives these people the right to protest and remind us all of whose land we are on.

But, yes, I agree that there is a total lack of respect towards indigenous communities.
At least Canada Day is much more appropriate than Australia Day, which celebrates the founding of the first penal colony in present-day Sydney. Canada Day (July 1) is when Canada became an autonomous colony within the British Empire named the Dominion of Canada, which is equivalent to the Fourth of July.

Pants-of-dog wrote:I think the intentional cultural genocdie perpetrated against indigenous people in Canada, as well as the lack of debate concerning Canada's 150 years of oppression, gives these people the right to protest and remind us all of whose land we are on.

But, yes, I agree that there is a total lack of respect towards indigenous communities.

Ya know...most of our world is the product of one group conquering another, and the subsequent creation of a new nation. And oddly enough, they seem to be quite proud of the societies and cultures they've developed.
The bottom line here is, the evil white guys came, they conquered, the created a new society and culture. We live in what was created, and the WISE members of this new-ish society and culture have found a way to be happy and thrive within it.

POD, I read an article yesterday about the appalling water conditions and sanitation on some reserves. I had asked a question of the guy I was discussing this with...a malcontent called "right to left". The question was:
How is it that the reserves have such bad water conditions?
Could it have to do with some sort of moneys having already been granted the nations, and already spend perhaps unwisely?

Maybe you know?
ThirdTerm wrote:Canada Day (July 1) is when Canada became an autonomous colony within the British Empire named the Dominion of Canada, which is equivalent to the Fourth of July.

It is certainly not equivalent to the Fourth of July. Unlike their degenerate southern neighbours, Canadians are good upstanding folk who remained within the Crown's loving embrace. :)
Heisenberg wrote:It is certainly not equivalent to the Fourth of July. Unlike their degenerate southern neighbours, Canadians are good upstanding folk who remained within the Crown's loving embrace. :)

Whatever that means...

Here's an interesting article. http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/milke-the-facts-about-aboriginal-funding-in-canada

So here we are, 150 years into the Canadian experience, and still having to deal with the natives of the land, because many of them refuse to become members of the new society and would rather live in hovel and complain bitterly about it, and Canadians don't have the balls to finally say "ENOUGH!"
Buzz62 wrote:Ya know...most of our world is the product of one group conquering another, and the subsequent creation of a new nation. And oddly enough, they seem to be quite proud of the societies and cultures they've developed.
The bottom line here is, the evil white guys came, they conquered, the created a new society and culture. We live in what was created, and the WISE members of this new-ish society and culture have found a way to be happy and thrive within it.

Are you arguing that the indigenous people of Canada were conquered? I recall no war of conquest in Canadian history. In fact, it seems that your claim about conquering is wrong.

Secondly, it is your emotions and feelings that everyone is happy to be conquered. Your feelings are not a valid rebuttal to the fact that Canada has engaged in a deliberate attempt to destroy indigenous cultures and communities, in a process that has been called cultural genocide. In fact, you seem to gave ignored that part of my claim.

Finally, you decide that any indigenous person or community who is unhappy with being targeted for cultural genocide (and lack of clean water, higher rates of disease, higher rates of drug and alcohol abuse, being experimented on without consent, etc.) is unwise. Simply insulting everyone who is trying to make life better for themsleves, their communities and their families is also not an argument.

POD, I read an article yesterday about the appalling water conditions and sanitation on some reserves. I had asked a question of the guy I was discussing this with...a malcontent called "right to left". The question was:
How is it that the reserves have such bad water conditions?
Could it have to do with some sort of moneys having already been granted the nations, and already spend perhaps unwisely?

Maybe you know?

Actually, we both know, since I have already explained this to you on previous occasions. You seem to have forgotten that ottawa is insufficiently funding indigenous communities and have decided to accuse the victims instead.

Please present evidence for your claim that this is all the fault of the indigenous communities because they are apparently not smart enough to spend their money wisely.

Buzz62 wrote:Whatever that means...

It means that Canada never stopped having the queen as head of state. We are a constitutional monarchy that is still subject to the crown, as opposed to the US, which is a republic.

Here's an interesting article. http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/milke-the-facts-about-aboriginal-funding-in-canada

So here we are, 150 years into the Canadian experience, and still having to deal with the natives of the land, because many of them refuse to become members of the new society and would rather live in hovel and complain bitterly about it, and Canadians don't have the balls to finally say "ENOUGH!"

Actually, you guys have already tried to forcibly assimilate indigenous people into the Canadian culture. It was called the residential school program, and it is considered the single greatest human rights abuse in the history of Canada.

Is that what you mean when you say that Canadians should say "ENOUGH"? That Canada should once again commit grave human right abuses against indigenous people?
Suntzu wrote:We should let the indigenous peoples practice their culture, no metal tools, no beast of burden, no domestic animals, no wheel, no written language, a little slavery and cannibalism, just like before the evil Europeans came here.

I have no idea why you think that anyone is claiming anything remotely like this.

Also, please note that the indigenous people of the Americas did have written langauge, domestic animals, wheels, and metallurgy.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I have no idea why you think that anyone is claiming anything remotely like this.

Also, please note that the indigenous people of the Americas did have written langauge, domestic animals, wheels, and metallurgy.

Yeah, I think there were lamas in South America, wheels as jewelry and some working of gold and silver. There was none of that in North American until the arrival of Europeans.
Suntzu wrote:Yeah, I think there were lamas in South America, wheels as jewelry and some working of gold and silver. There was none of that in North American until the arrival of Europeans.

Your ignorance is not an argument.

Also, this has nothing to do with the reasons for indigenous protest in Ottawa.

Are you simply trying to troll by posting racist remarks again?
Last edited by Pants-of-dog on 30 Jun 2017 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Are you arguing that the indigenous people of Canada were conquered? I recall no war of conquest in Canadian history. In fact, it seems that your claim about conquering is wrong.

OK fine...they simply capitulated without much of a fight.
Feel better?

Pants-of-dog wrote:Secondly, it is your emotions and feelings that everyone is happy to be conquered. Your feelings are not a valid rebuttal to the fact that Canada has engaged in a deliberate attempt to destroy indigenous cultures and communities, in a process that has been called cultural genocide. In fact, you seem to gave ignored that part of my claim.

Yes. Mostly because I think it 90% Bullshit.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Finally, you decide that any indigenous person or community who is unhappy with being targeted for cultural genocide (and lack of clean water, higher rates of disease, higher rates of drug and alcohol abuse, being experimented on without consent, etc.) is unwise. Simply insulting everyone who is trying to make life better for themsleves, their communities and their families is also not an argument.

Actually...the Canadian government has been feeding the native people money all along. And while you like to whine about fowl play and cultural genocide, I doubt we had anything to do with their drug and alcohol abuse. I mean really now POD, let do take some responsibility for our actions. With that in mind, I am the first to admit that we evil white guys, and in particular the blessed Catholics, have done some reprehensible things to native kids. But the bottom line is, if they are going to insist on living on reserves, segregating themselves from our Canadian society, then...so be it.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Actually, we both know, since I have already explained this to you on previous occasions. You seem to have forgotten that ottawa is insufficiently funding indigenous communities and have decided to accuse the victims instead.

Please present evidence for your claim that this is all the fault of the indigenous communities because they are apparently not smart enough to spend their money wisely.

No POD. You made excuses and silly claims about under funding.
But the FACT is, they've been given money ear-marked for things like water, sanitation and education. The chiefs built huge homes and fucked over their own people.
Reservation schooling is a fuckin' joke, because the kids do not attend. They have a hell of a time hanging onto real teachers.
Maybe they should stop drinking and doing drugs, and join CIVILIZATION instead of trying to trash our great nation's 150th birthday.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Is that what you mean when you say that Canadians should say "ENOUGH"? That Canada should once again commit grave human right abuses against indigenous people?

No I mean no more free ride. They have their lands. It seems they want to live in them.
Go ahead. But until they begin to act like RESPONSIBLE members of society...the gravy-train is over.
THAT'S what I mean by ENOUGH.
Actually...the Canadian government has been feeding the native people money all along. And while you like to whine about fowl play and cultural genocide, I doubt we had anything to do with their drug and alcohol abuse. I mean really now POD, let do take some responsibility for our actions. With that in mind, I am the first to admit that we evil white guys, and in particular the blessed Catholics, have done some reprehensible things to native kids. But the bottom line is, if they are going to insist on living on reserves, segregating themselves from our Canadian society, then...so be it.

Buzz

If you look at non-native communities that grew up stressed eg gays you'll find a higher rate of suicide, drug and alcohol abuse etc. than in the rest of the community. It is a reasonable conclusion to consider the cause and effect of a brutal up bringing can produce problems that should be addressed. In this case, the agencies who caused these problems should be on the hook for addressing these issues financially, some of whom have the same tax advantages as the natives.
Buzz62 wrote:OK fine...they simply capitulated without much of a fight.
Feel better?

In which war? Please name it. Thanks.

Just to be clear, I am claiming that there was no war, and no conquest of indigenous people in Canada.

Yes. Mostly because I think it 90% Bullshit.

I do not care if you have convinced yourself that the residential school program was a hoax. Telling me that you have decided to ignore historical facts is not an argument.

Please provide evidence for your claim that indigenous people "insist on living on reserves, segregating themselves from our Canadian society". Thank you.

Also, explain why self-segregation is a good reason to target a group with racism and cultural genocide. The Hassidic Jews are also self-segregated. Should they also be forced to have their children taken away from them for the express purpose of destroying their culture?

No POD. You made excuses and silly claims about under funding.
But the FACT is, they've been given money ear-marked for things like water, sanitation and education. The chiefs built huge homes and fucked over their own people.

Please provide evidence for this claim. Thank you.

Until then, I will simply dismiss this as a racist claim with no basis in fact.

Reservation schooling is a fuckin' joke, because the kids do not attend. They have a hell of a time hanging onto real teachers.

Please provide evidence for this claim. Thank you.

Until then, I will simply dismiss this as a racist claim with no basis in fact.

Maybe they should stop drinking and doing drugs, and join CIVILIZATION instead of trying to trash our great nation's 150th birthday.

Please present evidence for your claim that the appalling water conditions and sanitation on some reserves is all the fault of the indigenous communities because they are apparently not smart enough to spend their money wisely.

No I mean no more free ride. They have their lands. It seems they want to live in them.
Go ahead. But until they begin to act like RESPONSIBLE members of society...the gravy-train is over.
THAT'S what I mean by ENOUGH.

You are literally living rent free on their land. Who is getting the free ride?

Now, do you acknowledge that Canadian efforts at forced assimilation were grave human rights abuses?
The federal government has a site dedicated to fielding complaints about the misuse of funds to Native peoples.
https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/11001 ... 0100011235
And here are the numbers of complaints to the federal government.
https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/13636 ... 3610884192
But POD, I already know you will refute anything our government does or says.
So while more rational heads will debate in good faith, and admit when the "evil white guys" have really fucked up, you Sir have never, to my knowledge, admitted any wrong-doing by the native people and their leaders. So much for "intellectual honesty" eh?
Here are some more facts:
Aboriginal people in Canada number 1.4 million

Representing 4% of the total Canadian population, 1,409,100Note 1 people in Canada had an Aboriginal identity in 2011.
About one in five (22%) Aboriginal people in Canada resided in Ontario with an additional 58% living in one of the four western provinces. In addition, 10% of the Aboriginal population lived in Quebec, another 7% lived in the Atlantic provinces and 4% resided in Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
Canada was home to 859,970 First Nations people, 451,795 Métis, and 59,445 Inuit, with the rest reporting otherNote 2 Aboriginal identities (26,485) or more than one Aboriginal identity (11,415). From 2006 to 2011, the First Nations population in Canada increased by 23%, while the Métis population rose by 16%, and the Inuit population by 18%.Note 3
Of those who identified as First Nations people in 2011, three-quarters (75% or 645,940) reported being a Treaty Indian or a Registered Indian as defined by the Indian Act of Canada. Over one-third (38% or 328,445) of all First Nations people (50% of First Nations people who were Treaty or Registered Indians, or 322,650 individuals) lived on a reserve.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-656-x/8 ... 01-eng.htm
Huh...that's allot o' people, ain' it POD?
Tell me, what percentage of these people actually work for a living? Says here a whopping 62.5% overall.
However, as you asked, "a good reason to target a group with racism and cultural genocide"?
Well obviously not. But tell me, what would you do? And let's be rational here and admit that Canada is not gonna just give the country back to the natives, or leave or any such stupidity. So what would you do POD?

Why do 42.9% of natives living on reserves have poor housing?
Why do less that 25% of all natives even get a high school diploma?

I have, many times now, said that the "evil white guys" have done some shitty things to the natives.
But POD, I had Hungarian grandparents. Yet low and behold, my father didn't even teach me the language.
Why? Because he was rational enough to realize his kids had to speak English, get a good education and BE CANADIAN!
My own daughter was born in Prague. Yet she is fully CANADIAN.
Even my Czech wife, with her silly remnants of an accent, is a pizza-loving, working member of the Canadian society.
Why? Because ASSIMILATION provides a future for one's family which is preferable to the hovel these reserve-dwellers are able to muster.

Understand POD. No matter what you like to think, THIS IS CANADA!
I am every bit a native if this land as any living Asiatic Aboriginal.
This is MY LAND every bit as it is theirs.
And in CANADA, unless you really want to live like an animal, at the mercy of Chiefs who have already proven they regularly fuck over their own people so they can have big houses and such, you become CANADIAN.
There are no real "free rides" POD.
Welcome to reality... 8)
Buzz62 wrote:The federal government has a site dedicated to fielding complaints about the misuse of funds to Native peoples.
https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/11001 ... 0100011235
And here are the numbers of complaints to the federal government.
https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/13636 ... 3610884192
But POD, I already know you will refute anything our government does or says.
So while more rational heads will debate in good faith, and admit when the "evil white guys" have really fucked up, you Sir have never, to my knowledge, admitted any wrong-doing by the native people and their leaders. So much for "intellectual honesty" eh?

Please quote the relevant text supporting your claim about indigenous mismanagement, thank you.

Here are some more facts:
Aboriginal people in Canada number 1.4 million

Representing 4% of the total Canadian population, 1,409,100Note 1 people in Canada had an Aboriginal identity in 2011.
About one in five (22%) Aboriginal people in Canada resided in Ontario with an additional 58% living in one of the four western provinces. In addition, 10% of the Aboriginal population lived in Quebec, another 7% lived in the Atlantic provinces and 4% resided in Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
Canada was home to 859,970 First Nations people, 451,795 Métis, and 59,445 Inuit, with the rest reporting otherNote 2 Aboriginal identities (26,485) or more than one Aboriginal identity (11,415). From 2006 to 2011, the First Nations population in Canada increased by 23%, while the Métis population rose by 16%, and the Inuit population by 18%.Note 3
Of those who identified as First Nations people in 2011, three-quarters (75% or 645,940) reported being a Treaty Indian or a Registered Indian as defined by the Indian Act of Canada. Over one-third (38% or 328,445) of all First Nations people (50% of First Nations people who were Treaty or Registered Indians, or 322,650 individuals) lived on a reserve.
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/89-656-x/8 ... 01-eng.htm
Huh...that's allot o' people, ain' it POD?
Tell me, what percentage of these people actually work for a living? Says here a whopping 62.5% overall.

Yes, indigenous people often suffer discrimination when trying to get a job.

However, as you asked, "a good reason to target a group with racism and cultural genocide"?
Well obviously not. But tell me, what would you do? And let's be rational here and admit that Canada is not gonna just give the country back to the natives, or leave or any such stupidity. So what would you do POD?

Well, to start with, I would actually listen to indigenous people and see what they wanted to do.

And if they said they wanted the land back, then what is what we would do.

Why do 42.9% of natives living on reserves have poor housing?

Because Ottawa drastically underfunds housing on reserves.

Why do less that 25% of all natives even get a high school diploma?

Because Ottawa drastically underfunds education for indigenous people.

I have, many times now, said that the "evil white guys" have done some shitty things to the natives.
But POD, I had Hungarian grandparents. Yet low and behold, my father didn't even teach me the language.
Why? Because he was rational enough to realize his kids had to speak English, get a good education and BE CANADIAN!
My own daughter was born in Prague. Yet she is fully CANADIAN.
Even my Czech wife, with her silly remnants of an accent, is a pizza-loving, working member of the Canadian society.
Why? Because ASSIMILATION provides a future for one's family which is preferable to the hovel these reserve-dwellers are able to muster.

Please provide evidence for the claim that assimilation has been successful for indigenous communities. Thank you.

Understand POD. No matter what you like to think, THIS IS CANADA!
I am every bit a native if this land as any living Asiatic Aboriginal.
This is MY LAND every bit as it is theirs.

No. You incorrectly believe that Canada has a right to the land by conquest, but cannot even name a war of conquest here in Canada.

I am almost certain at you are unable to present a legal justification for Canada's ownership of land and therefore you are also unable to show how you, as a Canadian, have a right to be here.

And in CANADA, unless you really want to live like an animal, at the mercy of Chiefs who have already proven they regularly fuck over their own people so they can have big houses and such, you become CANADIAN.
There are no real "free rides" POD.

Actually, there are free rides. You are getting one right now. By living on their land rent free.

Welcome to reality... 8)

Now, since you are so "realistic", please name the supposed war of conquest that the indigenous people lost and at you claim happened.

Please provide evidence for your claim that indigenous people "insist on living on reserves, segregating themselves from our Canadian society". Thank you.

Also, explain why self-segregation is a good reason to target a group with racism and cultural genocide. The Hassidic Jews are also self-segregated. Should they also be forced to have their children taken away from them for the express purpose of destroying their culture?

Also, you have yet to provide evidence for your claim that indigenous people do not go to school.

Finally, do you know what the residential school program was?
:lol:
Too Funny.
Is this how the natives debate too POD? By simply ignoring facts and responding with completely nonsensical double-talk?
No wonder the Indians are in such bad shape.

Tell ya what...we've come to this impasse before, so I'm just gonna end this round gracefully by saying,
You have been provided evidence yet you choose to ignore it.
THIS IS MY LAND!
And when your nonsensical Indian representatives want to protest and howl for even more money for their Chiefs' to lavish themselves in,
it'll be someone like me across the table from them.
That person will ask the hard questions like..."where'd all the money we already gave you get to?"
When the answer is cheap POD-style double-talk and claims that this is THEIR land...
Guess who will be headed home with nothing to show for their greedy efforts POD.

Have a warm and fuzzy day, Sir.
Demonstrators have a right to protest. I believe Canada has freedom of speech.

What is it with conquering governments always disrespecting the native peoples? And they whine about no respect? Well this could be one reason, they don't respect others.

US native Americans are still disrespected in the US. I have a friend in Kentucky and she gets called names like "Taco n*****" and overall they are rude to her. She protested the Dakota access pipeline with so many others and I am proud of her.

@FiveofSwords Changing your argument is called[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster I will never vote for Biden ever. That[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Losing money is one thing, losing a whole brigade[…]