Trump Refers DACA to Legislature for a Permanent Fix - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.

When Obama signed Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) as an executive order, he never promised that young illegal immigrants from Latin America will not be deported. He only deferred or delayed their future deportation while he was in office. DACA is clearly against the equal protection of the laws, when Chinese children taken to the United States by their illegal parents are routinely deported to China.
ThirdTerm wrote:Chinese children taken to the United States by their illegal parents are routinely deported to China.

It may be because China, unlike Honduras, is another major nuclear and economic power sensitive to their citizens being grabbed, so they must be deported back to them immediately of course. However, Honduras is a completely different case, they don't complain if the US grabs some of their young citizens and absorbs them into its workforce, and those young citizens are scared of the thought of getting deported back to Honduras even if they have family there.
Up here on the coast of Maine we are finishing up our Summer tourist season. Many businesses are experiencing difficult/poor seasons due to labor shortages due to a shortage/lack of temporary work visas.

Not a DACA issue but in keeping with Donald's head in sand siege mentality.

Thank You Donald.
Last edited by jimjam on 06 Sep 2017 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
Decky wrote:Good, if they have trouble attracting staff they will have to put up wages to attract people won't they?

Not if the people are not there. We have an actual people/labor shortage. Your cheap shot response shows that obviously you do not live in Maine.
Bullshit. There are no jobs people will never do. People will refuse to do jobs for shit money, it does not mean that that would not do it for a proper wage.

Also if your silly statement was true who says I care if the business closes? Would you have argued against banning slavery to protect the business of the poor plantation owners?

Not if the people are not there. We have an actual people/labor shortage. Your cheap shot response shows that obviously you do not live in Maine.

What a shame people never move from state to state to find well paying work... oh wait.
Decky wrote:What a shame people never move from state to state to find well paying work... oh wait.

Damn! Never thought of that. The folks down at the Trail's End Motel should start paying a few grand a week to make beds and take out the trash for a Summer season job. You did process that didn't you Deckster? I was discussing temporary visas for the SUMMER SEASON

Oh wait ... your ass.
Decky wrote:Bullshit. There are no jobs people will never do. People will refuse to do jobs for shit money, it does not mean that that would not do it for a proper wage.

Also if your silly statement was true who says I care if the business closes? Would you have argued against banning slavery to protect the business of the poor plantation owners?

You're supposed to be a self-educated or amateur economist, aren't you? They would do it for a proper wage for sure, but they will never be paid a proper wage, because it wouldn't be worth it, they would rather close business. However, it's fine if you don't care. And no, I wouldn't have argued to protect plantation owners, I'd have argued to replace slavery and plantations and form a new kind of society and economy in the South, which finally happened. Also, will you refer to slavery and plantations anytime we discuss 21st century capitalism?
jimjam wrote:
Damn! Never thought of that. The folks down at the Trail's End Motel should start paying a few grand a week to make beds and take out the trash for a Summer season job. You did process that didn't you Deckster? I was discussing temporary visas for the SUMMER SEASON

Oh wait ... your ass.

Labour markets will adjust over time. An economy, industry or field that has become accustomed and long been dependent on visas, seasonal or otherwise, to fill labour shortages will experience a shock in the short term, not least because everybody expects and is used to the fact that these jobs will be filled by immigrants on visas. As long as everybody knows this, most people will not even consider the possibility to fill those jobs, never mind that they can also expect low pay.

It's quite likely a self-fulfilling prophesy by now that certain industries cannot survive without immigrants.
You LWNJ's can thank Obama for his illegal executive order for cruelly using these poor children as political pawns. Obama himself knew this order was not constitutional and if it was so important why didn't Obama and the rest of the LWNJ's make this a law when they had congress? So fucked up and hypocritical the left is.
jimjam wrote:Up here on the coast of Maine we are finishing up our Summer tourist season. Many businesses are experiencing difficult/poor seasons due to labor shortages due to a shortage/lack of temporary work visas.

Not a DACA issue but in keeping with Donald's head in sand siege mentality.

Thank You Donald.

I will admit that I know nothing about the economy of the Maine Coastline.

However, what used to happen was that if a business needed unskilled labor, they put an ad in the paper and took applications. If the model doesn't work any more, perhaps they need to raise the pay they offer or increase the benefits.

If you're telling me that there are no 16-20 y/o couch potatoes in the area who can't be lured off the sofa with above MW pay or other incentives...I would have trouble believing that.
The kind of economy that relies on imported labour can lead to unsustainable situations.
There is a hilarious real example in the Seychelles.
They opted for luxury tourism, not mass tourism.
So much so that although the beaches lie full of shells, nobody is prepared to pick them up to sell to the tourists.
Instead, they have to import shells from the Philippines to sell as souvenirs in the hotels.
(a little off-topic but I wanted to share this)
jimjam wrote:Not if the people are not there. We have an actual people/labor shortage. Your cheap shot response shows that obviously you do not live in Maine.

I think the people of Maine would make very funny stand-up comedians, because they talk funny. :lol:
The seasonal jobs could be handled by more flexible scheduling that allows college students, seniors etc. to work. It is just convenient to have one 8 hour worker instead of four 2 hour workers. The latter however benefits our own citizens. Besides, motels should solve their own business model problems not ask the government to do it with immigrants.
The Bangor Daily News article is headlined Amid foreign worker shortage, Bar Harbor businesses turn to local labor. The article starts off by noting that “Businesses in Maine that rely on summer help are hoping that Congress will come to the rescue.” And what do these businesses have to be rescued from? Higher wages, of course.

Because of new limits on the seasonal worker visa program, restaurants, hotels and other tourist-centered operations are scrambling to find seasonal employees. Until Congress opens the door to more H-2B foreign workers…Bar Harbor area employers are enticing workers in other ways. Higher wages are part of the solution.

https://gborjas.org/2017/06/

@FiveofSwords Edwards' critique does not con[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 19, Friday Allied troops land on Norway co[…]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]