Trump Takes on NFL - Page 50 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By maz
I just looked up the CEO of Nike, and while the guy graduated with a political science degree, I could find nothing relating to his politics.

Are conservatives even allowed to be CEO's of corporations these days?

blackjack21 wrote:
Kaepernick is the Ali of his generation. You'll love him when he's dead
Again, this sort of misses the point. Ali won his fights. He was brash, a braggart, and able to promote. In spite of his stance on the Vietnam War and signing up for the Religion-of-Peace to protest the draft, Ali was a popular personality who could sell products nonetheless. Ali was funny and entertaining. Kaepernick is bitter and depressing.

Colin Kaepernick is not this generation's Ali and never will be. Ali was a champion and was this over the top character larger than life character.

Ali was going to be a star whether the media wanted him to or not. They had to cover him. Kaepernick on the other hand has to be propped up by the media because he has accomplished very little in his professional playing career.

These journos are delusional.

What I find strange is that majority of the mainstream media is somehow not comparing Kaepernick to former NBA star Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, who not too long ago would also not stand for the national anthem.

Wikipedia

National anthem controversy

See also: U.S. national anthem protests § Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

Abdul-Rauf is perhaps best known for the controversy created when he refused to stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner" before games,[40] stating that the flag was a symbol of oppression and that the United States had a long history of tyranny.[41] On March 12, 1996, the NBA suspended Abdul-Rauf for his refusal to stand, costing Abdul-Rauf $31,707 per missed game.[42] Two days later, he worked out a compromise with the league, whereby he would stand during the playing of the national anthem but could close his eyes and look downward. He usually silently recited Islamic prayer during this time for those who are suffering from all walks of life and ethnic backgrounds.[43]

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was and still is respected for his extremely high level of play. In basketball circles he is commonly called the original Steph Curry, Golden State's point guard. Abdul-Rauf is still playing today against players half his age today in smaller leagues.

But Kaepernick cannot even be fairly compared to Abdul-Rauf. Kaepernick's career was descending when he started his protests, whereas Abdul-Rauf's career was peaking.

Abdul-Rauf literally was railroaded out of the NBA at almost the same age as Kaepernick, but no corporations came to Abdul-Rauf with multi-million dollar endorsement deals.

An interesting article by one journalist who is making the comparison between Kaepernick and Abdul-Rauf.

Still no anthem, still no regrets for Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

NBA star lost millions after sitting in 1996 – and he’d do it again
By Red_Army
I don't understand, which one you get upset about: people losing money for political convictions or making money by "selling out". The selling out shit is so funny. The only scenario where you would respect a politically cogent black person is if they had no audience, no fame, and no money: in other words, where you would have never heard of them.

I wish you two would just yell N***** out of your car window like a slightly less cowardly racist.
It owns so fucking hard that chuds are slowly destroying everything they own and refusing to enjoy their favorite hobbies because a black man dared to draw attention to his existence.

Maz totally isn't owned by this at all. He's so not owned that he's spent a dozen posts talking about Nike, a product he has never bought and will never buy, is bad.

By Godstud
Nike Knows Exactly What It’s Doing With Colin Kaepernick
But is Nike really risking a sales downturn? Here are some figures to consider.

North America, where the controversy is most relevant, is expected to account for just under 40% of company sales this fiscal year through May, and growth in the region is slower than in the rest of the world.

If Trump’s 2016 election results serve as a proxy for customer attitudes toward Kaepernick, and if Nike can be assumed to sell to the athletically inclined, the company’s boycott exposure might be limited within North America, too. The median age of U.S. basketball and football players is about 16; baseball players, 19; runners, 29; weightlifters, 33. Those are within or close to age categories that favored Hillary Clinton. Voters 45 and older favored Trump.

In recent years, Nike has said it wants to focus on selling more to women, young consumers and runners. Women favored Clinton by more than 10 points, and some 63% of runners are women. The company is also heavily focused on digital sales, which it estimates will rise to 30% of sales, up from 15%, over the next five years. It has identified 12 key markets on which to focus its digital growth efforts. Only two, New York and Los Angeles, are in the U.S.

Wall Street analysts were mostly quiet on the matter on Tuesday. Brian Nagel at Oppenheimer published a quick take.

“We commend Nike for its willingness to partake in a more edgy, risky advertising campaign while refreshing its 30-year old ‘Just Do It’ campaign,” Nagel wrote. “The extensive roster of athletes and their powerful stories are core to the company’s stepped up efforts in reaching a younger demographic. Over the past year or so, NKE’s dominant market share has eroded somewhat as other players have been gaining steam, and we think today’s announcement is clearly an effective way to make some noise in the industry, regardless of any political bent.”
https://www.barrons.com/articles/nike-s ... 1536084077

By colliric
SpecialOlympian wrote:Maz totally isn't owned by this at all. He's so not owned that he's spent a dozen posts talking about Nike, a product he has never bought and will never buy, is bad.

Dude, almost everyone has owned Nike at some stage. It's a ubiquitous global sneakers company.

Maz has owned a set of Nikes at some stage ok.... We all have.
By Red_Army
I've never bought nikes. Maybe when I was a kid my parents bought me some. I don't give a fuck about brands, ya'll. That said, your defense of @maz is hilarious @colliric. It's funny how you guys who support Trump and his gang of dipshits (who run the country) and yet you nitpick about the hypocrisies of former NFL athletes. Everyone in the Trump administration has corruption, lies, hypocrisy, and much worse on their hands and again - THEY RUN THE COUNTRY. This is one former NFL quarterback who is protesting police brutality and you act like someone raped your mom to death on Christmas morning.
I don't think colliric was defending Maz, and judging by how he liked my post I believe he is agreeing with everyone who correctly acknowledges Maz's second biggest style of meltdown after any mention of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

A non-profit organization he hates because of their unfair classification of Focus on the Family as a hate group, simply because they refer to homosexuals as diseased pedophiles in their literature. It's because of that, and totally not because they track nazis that he absolutely doesn't identify with in any way.

Poor Maz. Got too repetitive with his lazily copypasted 8chan rhetoric and now everyone is just calling him a racist instead of addressing his totally sincere and well researched points.
By blackjack21
maz wrote:Ali and never will be. Ali was a champion and was this over the top character larger than life character.

Yes, he was also a terrible liar like Donald Trump. He said things like he could float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee. :lol:

maz wrote:Ali was going to be a star whether the media wanted him to or not. They had to cover him. Kaepernick on the other hand has to be propped up by the media because he has accomplished very little in his professional playing career.

He did lose a SuperBowl. As a Raider fan, I always love seeing the Niners lose.

Red_Army wrote:Underarmor is the brand for fat chuds. They aren't cool enough for anyone to steal them.

I could care less. I'm only interested in stock price.

Red_Army wrote:@blackjack21 yes, politics is an argument about the correct distribution of resources. People have differing opinions on this I'll have you know.

Right. So maybe you should be focusing on Jeff Bezos instead.

Red_Army wrote:I don't understand, which one you get upset about: people losing money for political convictions or making money by "selling out". The selling out shit is so funny. The only scenario where you would respect a politically cogent black person is if they had no audience, no fame, and no money: in other words, where you would have never heard of them.

What irritates us is that Nike is throwing that commie loser at us after we've made it clear we are not interested in his political views, nor impressed with his mediocre play.

SpecialOlympian wrote:It owns so fucking hard that chuds are slowly destroying everything they own and refusing to enjoy their favorite hobbies because a black man dared to draw attention to his existence.

Our favorite hobbies don't involve sniveling multi-millionaires claiming that the country is unfair to them. We would change the channel on them if we could. Actually, many of us are doing just that.
blackjack21 wrote:Our favorite hobbies don't involve sniveling multi-millionaires claiming that the country is unfair to them.

You have a Trump avatar, dude.

The irony is so thick it's like you're the terminator dipping himself into molten metal.
By Red_Army
@blackjack21 I know you don't care about athletics that's why I suggested underarmor. I hope your stocks pay out by the pound.

Your conservative numskull logic that I can't be opposed to several things without always mentioning them is ridiculous. When's the last time you said you didn't like kid fucking @blackjack21? Not in this thread.

I don't care what irritates you, snowflake. Nike is not for the aged or the bedridden. They similarly don't care about your purchases. I'm sure your grandkids will exchange whatever lame shit you give them for Christmas for the cool shit anyway. It's the circle of life.

You obviously didn't even listen to what Kaeptain America said. He's not sniveling about things being unfair to him (like you are with your problem with kneeling during the anthem before games), he's protesting police brutality.
You don't realize why bj is angry, Redarmy.

He's a boomer.

For the first time in his extremely shallow life marketers don't care about him or his money, and he is very angry about that fact.

How dare anyone selling a product not consider his feelings! How dare they not cater to a worldview he has honed through a lifetime of purchases!
By colliric
SpecialOlympian wrote:I don't think colliric was defending Maz, and judging by how he liked my post I believe he is agreeing with everyone who correctly acknowledges Maz's second biggest style of meltdown after any mention of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

No. I like your posts because admittedly you are a funny sarcastic bastard, despite being on the opposite side of the political spectrum.
By blackjack21

The NFL is losing 10%+ per year, and do not seem phased by this at all. :smokin:
By Red_Army
Ratings for all sports are going down. Cord cutting is the reason for this, not kneeling. Nascar ratings are falling much faster and moron conservatives are the exclusive audience for that sport.
By Godstud
The NFL losing viewership has very little to do with some players taking a knee. Trump's a fucking moron, but we all knew that, already. He exaggerated a situation to stupid levels, and NFL numbers were already in decline.

NFL viewership has been dropping over the last 4 years due to a great many reasons, including people not tuning into traditional television nearly as much as past generations did. The range of leisure substitutes vastly expanded over the past decade, including streaming movies and series, YouTube videos, social media, gaming and texting. Live sports may be doing relatively better than other programming options for television networks, but the relative position doesn't insulate sports from this overall decline.

Poor play and concussion controversy are also issues, as well as players no longer being sports heroes, and little more than thugs.

Stand up every player and it still wouldn't change the reality. People who want to watch football will, and those who don't will make excuses(like stating that Kaepernick's protest is a reason, for instance).

Recent polls show less men under 50 years old following the sport.
Man, if only there was a way to get down to the heart of the issue and figure out who's right. Is it the moron chuds smashing their toys like a toddler having a tantrum or the guy trying to draw attention to systemic inequities in our justice system?

It's a real head scratcher. I just hope I am morally validated by the market performance of the brands I engage with, because I am less of a man and more of a shadow cast by my consumer choices.

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]