Trump Takes on NFL - Page 32 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Drlee
You probably already know the political bias of California, since it is known as a blue state.

Absolutely. That is why it gave us Richard Nixon, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Ronald Reagan. All esteemed bleeding heart liberals. Maybe we should just get California's 14 Republican representatives to vote democrat just for consistency. Right?
By Doug64
Pants-of-dog wrote:https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/07/27/police-killings-in-us-linked-to-racial-bias-in-community-ryerson-study-finds.html

This study uses implicit association testing to measure racial bias, which is problematic

No. There is more than one possible cause for a given effect.

Exactly right.

And back to the issue of the protests, another possible sign of their impact:

There isn’t much good news for networks when looking at NFL pregame show viewership

Last week, viewership data of the various networks’ NFL pregame shows began to circulate, and it didn’t paint a pretty picture for ESPN. Through the first nine weeks of the 2017 season, “Sunday NFL Countdown” was down nearly 20% on ESPN, the most significant drop of any of the networks.

Those viewers also aren’t flipping to ESPN2 to watch “Fantasy Football Now,” which was down just shy of 15% through Week 9.

The numbers for ESPN are damning. “Countdown’s” viewership has fallen to 1.13 million over the first nine weeks of the season. Last season through nine weeks, that viewership total was at 1.41 million. “Fantasy Football Now” is also lagging, dropping to 323,000 viewers on average over nine weeks this year, compared to 379,000 over nine weeks last year.

While ESPN’s struggles have been documented, there also isn’t great news for either CBS or Fox, though NFL Network comes out of this looking pretty strong.

The two broadcast networks, CBS and Fox, have both seen viewership for their primary pregame shows, “The NFL Today” and “Fox NFL Sunday,” take hits — but those drops aren’t as large as ESPN’s drop for “Countdown.” Also, the viewership for each of those networks’ pregame shows dwarfs that of “Countdown” by millions.

The drop for “The NFL Today” was 5% through the first nine weeks, down to 3.3 million from 3.5 million a year ago. Fox’s drop for “Fox NFL Sunday” was more minimal, going from 4.728 million through nine weeks last year to 4.703 million this year. That’s a drop of less than a percentage point.

Fox actually has seen their “NFL Kickoff” pregame show, which has aired prior to “Fox NFL Sunday” since the 2015 season, tick up this year from 1.237 million viewers to 1.274 million viewers through nine weeks, good for a 3% jump that has propelled it above “Countdown’s” viewership for the season (in a longer timeslot).

NFL Network’s marathon “Gameday Morning” show is also up this year, from 529,000 viewers last year to 619,000 in 2017, a 17% gain. “Gameday Morning” only aired eight episodes through the first nine weeks in each of the last two seasons, thanks to London games, missing Week 7 ratings in 2016 and Week 8 in 2017.

Overall, fewer people are watching NFL pregame shows this season across all networks. Fox picked up some of the stragglers from ESPN in the 11 a.m. ET hour, and some of those viewers also went to NFL Network. But with both Fox and CBS’s flagship shows down (though in Fox’s case, not by a significant amount), four of the five pregame shows airing in the noon window are down for the season through nine weeks.

It fits in with the overall declining viewership for the afternoon Sunday windows as well. The viewership is still strong by the standards of everything else on television, but the Sunday games have largely been down all season. You would figure that the people watching pregame shows are some of the biggest fans of the league. But when you see those people tuning out, it should be a warning sign to the league and its TV partners that declining ratings aren’t just because of casual fans being fed up with any of a litany of issues with the league. It’s a sign that the league’s core audience is getting fed up with some of those issues as well.
By Hindsite
Drlee wrote:Absolutely. That is why it gave us Richard Nixon, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Ronald Reagan. All esteemed bleeding heart liberals. Maybe we should just get California's 14 Republican representatives to vote democrat just for consistency. Right?

Those 3 people you named may be rare exceptions but they all lived in California and were celebrates. And we all know how much Californians love celebrates. Arnold's wife was liberal for sure. Don't forget that some are RINOs. The national anthem is not televised anymore due to the kneeling and disrespect controversy.
By blackjack21
Doug64 wrote:And back to the issue of the protests, another possible sign of their impact

Yes, I think the NFL is going to find that this has been a very expensive mistake. With 20% declines in viewership, that means networks have probably collectively lost about $2B--they are taking the hit for the NFL on these long-term contracts. However, the NFL is seeing declining stadium attendance and merchandise sales falling too.

Hey, NFL owners, tired of half-empty stadiums? This isn’t hard. Tell your players to stand up for America
By Godstud
:lol: The NFL numbers were in decline before this "taking a knee" fiasco even started. This is just an excuse for the right wing to blame it on a peaceful, legal protest, that harms no one.
By blackjack21
Godstud wrote::lol: The NFL numbers were in decline before this "taking a knee" fiasco even started. This is just an excuse for the right wing to blame it on a peaceful, legal protest, that harms no one.

The "Let's hang Ray Rice for hitting his girlfriend!" and "Let's hang Adrian Petersen for spanking his child with a willow switch!" scandals also predated Colin Kaepernick. Even Bill O'Reilly pronounced Richie Incognito's career over for using the "N word," but Bill O'Reilly is gone and Incognito is still playing in the NFL. Once the NFL decided to be an outlet for left wing politics, people began to tune out. It's just snowballing on itself, which means a bunch of asshole left wing billionaires are going to lose money. That makes me happy. Maybe to you, that harms no one. I'm sure those asshole left wing billionaires are not enjoying a 20% decline in business.
Doug64 wrote:This study uses implicit association testing to measure racial bias, which is problematic

If you have any evidence that shows that we should dismiss the results because of this, please provide it.

Exactly right.

Good, so we agree that the fact that black communities have higher rates of crime for various reasons, including racism, does not magically mean that the justice system and police forces are not targeting blacks with racism.
By jimjam
blackjack21 wrote:I graduated with a Bachelor of Science. I had a 4.0 GPA and Summa Cum Laude honors.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Science and had a GPA of 2.0. An absolute perfect minimum effort. I decided to get an "A" once, got it and when i didn't see God, I decided it wasn't worth the effort. They told me once that I was an "under achiever" ......... I took that as a compliment :) .

This is not why I am responding to you. I tried a PM but it didn't work. I am presently studying Huey Long. You have stated on numerous occasions that what you like best about Trump is how he is upsetting the status quo. Huey was also, imho, doing the same thing ...... albeit with a different slant. I see surprising similarities between Huey's methods and Trump's methods. Huey was way more entertaining but, as I said, their methods were quite similar. You have a prodigious mind and I would not be surprised if you were familiar with Huey. What do you think of my observation?

Way off topic here but I beg indulgence.
By blackjack21
jimjam wrote:I am presently studying Huey Long. You have stated on numerous occasions that what you like best about Trump is how he is upsetting the status quo. Huey was also, imho, doing the same thing ...... albeit with a different slant. I see surprising similarities between Huey's methods and Trump's methods. Huey was way more entertaining but, as I said, their methods were quite similar. You have a prodigious mind and I would not be surprised if you were familiar with Huey. What do you think of my observation?

As far as political tactics are concerned, I think it's a valid comparison. However, Trump is wealthy and Long was not. Trump took very carefully crafted jibes at his fellow wealthy. To name a few, I would say the carried interest loophole exploited by hedge funds, and very specifically against Jeff Bezos whose Amazon.com rarely turns a taxable profit, but has enormous cash flow. By contrast, Huey Long called for a net asset tax--that is, confiscation of wealth; not a tax on income, per se. In other words, Long called for basically taking net assets from people like Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and Warren Buffet. For example, a 5% net asset tax for assets in excess of $1B would mean that they would have to pay over $1B in net taxes each year with no write offs until their capital fell under $1B, and it would fall rapidly under such a scheme. That was enough to get the wealthy to engineer Long's assassination. Trump isn't doing anything of the kind in practice. However, he is definitely highlighting the hostility that the establishment has for the American people.
By jimjam
blackjack21 wrote:As far as political tactics are concerned, I think it's a valid comparison. However, Trump is wealthy and Long was not. Trump took very carefully crafted jibes at his fellow wealthy. To name a few, I would say the carried interest loophole exploited by hedge funds, and very specifically against Jeff Bezos whose Amazon.com rarely turns a taxable profit, but has enormous cash flow. By contrast, Huey Long called for a net asset tax--that is, confiscation of wealth; not a tax on income, per se. In other words, Long called for basically taking net assets from people like Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and Warren Buffet. For example, a 5% net asset tax for assets in excess of $1B would mean that they would have to pay over $1B in net taxes each year with no write offs until their capital fell under $1B, and it would fall rapidly under such a scheme. That was enough to get the wealthy to engineer Long's assassination. Trump isn't doing anything of the kind in practice. However, he is definitely highlighting the hostility that the establishment has for the American people.

We mostly agree ( :eek: ). My qualifier "albeit with a different slant." covers most of what you outlined in detail. I am impressed with your knowledge of Huey ...... a largely forgotten outlier in American history. Like you, I cannot imagine that his assassination was not "engineered".
By Hindsite
jimjam wrote:We mostly agree ( :eek: ). My qualifier "albeit with a different slant." covers most of what you outlined in detail. I am impressed with your knowledge of Huey ...... a largely forgotten outlier in American history. Like you, I cannot imagine that his assassination was not "engineered".

Huey Long was before my time. But I heard about him, since I grew up in east Texas not far from Louisiana border. However, I don't see he has anything to do with mostly Black NFL players disrespecting our nation by kneeling at the national anthem. I think these mediocre NFL players are just trying to get some attention. There seems to be fewer of them every week since they stopped televising there antics. Perhaps next year we want have to put up with this nonsense anymore. Praise the Lord.
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:Huey Long was before my time. But I heard about him, since I grew up in east Texas not far from Louisiana border.

You had best not pay further attention to Huey. He makes the Clintons and Obama seem like right wing conservatives. You will just get angry.
By jimjam
The third stanza of the song — which ceased to be sung once warm relations were re-established with England reads in part: “No refuge could save the hireling and slave/From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave/And The Star-Spangled Banner in triumph doth wave/O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”

“The Star-Spangled Banner” began as an ordinary song that competed with other songs for space in the American imagination. It was not until the early 20th century that it acquired the stature of a sacred writ and became, in effect, a loyalty test and an excuse for people who called themselves patriots to harass and beat people who dissented from the song’s message.

The truth is that the maxims about freedom implied in the song describe a condition the country has yet to achieve. People who confront that reality by kneeling prayerfully on the football field are often more determinedly patriotic than those who reflexively stand.
By Hindsite
Because Key and Skinner had heard details of the plans for the attack on Baltimore, they were held captive until after the battle, first aboard HMS Surprise and later back on HMS Minden.

Key was inspired by the American victory and the sight of the large American flag flying triumphantly above the fort. Aboard the ship the next day, Key wrote a poem on the back of a letter he had kept in his pocket. At twilight on September 16, he and Skinner were released in Baltimore. He completed the poem at the Indian Queen Hotel, where he was staying, and titled it "Defence of Fort M'Henry".

Much of the idea of the poem, including the flag imagery and some of the wording, is derived from an earlier song by Key, also set to the tune of "The Anacreontic Song". The song, known as "When the Warrior Returns", was written in honor of Stephen Decatur and Charles Stewart on their return from the First Barbary War. Absent elaboration by Francis Scott Key prior to his death in 1843, some have speculated in modern times about the meaning of phrases or verses.

According to British historian Robin Blackburn, the words "the hireling and slave" allude to the thousands of ex-slaves in the British ranks organised as the Corps of Colonial Marines, who had been liberated by the British and demanded to be placed in the battle line "where they might expect to meet their former masters."

Nevertheless, Professor Mark Clague, a professor of musicology at the University of Michigan, argues that the "middle two verses of Key's lyric vilify the British enemy in the War of 1812" and "in no way glorifies or celebrates slavery." Clague writes that "For Key ... the British mercenaries were scoundrels and the Colonial Marines were traitors who threatened to spark a national insurrection."

This harshly anti-British nature of Verse 3 led to its omission in sheet music in World War I, when Britain and the U.S. were allies. Responding to the assertion of writer Jon Schwarz of The Intercept that the song is a "celebration of slavery," Clague said that: "The reference to slaves is about the use, and in some sense the manipulation, of black Americans to fight for the British, with the promise of freedom. The American forces included African-Americans as well as whites. The term 'freemen,' whose heroism is celebrated in the fourth stanza, would have encompassed both."

Others suggest that "Key may have intended the phrase as a reference to the British Navy’s practice of impressment (kidnapping sailors and forcing them to fight in defense of the crown), or as a semi-metaphorical slap at the British invading force as a whole (which included a large number of mercenaries)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner
By deewelch
Beren wrote:The right to free speech is secondary to patriotism obviously, and everybody should respect the country and the flag like Trump does.

Also, anytime you hear the national anthem you have to behave properly, kneeling is definitely inappropriate behaviour in this case.

:roll:

Every person should respect their flag.
By Godstud
Deewelch wrote:Every person should respect their flag.
Why? It's just a piece of cloth.

Respect the principles and values that the flag represents. If you can't do that(Trump can't), that piece of cloth might as well be used in wiping your ass.

Respect a song? Really? :roll:
By Hindsite
How Cowboys, Chargers handled national anthem at Thanksgiving matchup

Update, Nov. 23: All Cowboys and Chargers stood for the national anthem during the pregame rendition as Dallas hosted the Chargers for a Thanksgiving matchup.

Chargers left tackle Russell Okung raised his fist throughout the rendition, while Cowboys defensive lineman David Irving did so at the conclusion as he has since protests began.
By Hong Wu
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/11 ... -continue/ -- NFL ticket prices falling to as low as $10 a ticket.

So how significant is that? It's hard to tell but according to this website on NBA average ticket prices: https://www.statista.com/statistics/193 ... m-in-2010/

In 2015/2016, the worst performing team in terms of ticket sales in the NBA was the New Orleans Pelicans, averaging $30 for a ticket.
By Godstud
Ticket prices were always too high. people should be praising the players for forcing the prices down, instead of being unpatriotic cocksuckers, who object to the 1st Amendment.
By jimjam
Our boy D.Trump was at it yesterday attempting to revive his created NFL bullshit issue designed to dominate the media so as to distract from his agenda of making the rich richer.

D.Trump:
“At least 24 players kneeling this weekend at NFL stadiums that are now having a very hard time filling up, The American public is fed up with the disrespect the NFL is paying to our Country, our Flag and our National Anthem. Weak and out of control!”

Stay tuned folks for a full throated attack on "Seasons Greetings" in favor of Merry Christmas :eek: .
Sad :lol:
Candace Owens

She has, and to add gravitas to what she has said[…]

@litwin is clearly an Alex Jones type conspirac[…]

Both of them have actually my interest at heart. […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

As predicted, the hasbara troll couldn't quote me […]