Trump Takes on NFL - Page 28 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Godstud
The protests are not about that, but the black people who are shot, while unarmed, and then the police getting off scott-free. I don't suspect that you understand that. though, by your argument, and silly denial of systemic racism.

While African Americans comprise 13% of the US population and 14% of monthly drug users they are 37% of the people arrested for drug offenses - according to 2009 Congressional testimony by Marc Mauer of The Sentencing Project.

When whites were stopped, only 8% were frisked. When blacks and Latinos are stopped 85% were frisked according to information provided by the NYPD. The same is true most other places as well. In a California study, the ACLU found blacks are three times more likely to be stopped than whites.

Since 1970, drug arrests have skyrocketed rising from 320,000 to close to 1.6 million according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics of the U.S. Department of Justice.
African Americans are arrested for drug offenses at rates 2 to 11 times higher than the rate for whites - according to a May 2009 report on disparity in drug arrests by Human Rights Watch.

Once arrested, blacks are more likely to remain in prison awaiting trial than whites. For example, the New York state division of criminal justice did a 1995 review of disparities in processing felony arrests and found that in some parts of New York blacks are 33% more likely to be detained awaiting felony trials than whites facing felony trials.

Once arrested, 80% of the people in the criminal justice system get a public defender for their lawyer. Race plays a big role here as well. Stop in any urban courtroom and look a the color of the people who are waiting for public defenders. Despite often heroic efforts by public defenders the system gives them much more work and much less money than the prosecution. The American Bar Association, not a radical bunch, reviewed the US public defender system in 2004 and concluded “All too often, defendants plead guilty, even if they are innocent, without really understanding their legal rights or what is occurring...The fundamental right to a lawyer that America assumes applies to everyone accused of criminal conduct effectively does not exist in practice for countless people across the US.”

African Americans are frequently illegally excluded from criminal jury service according to a June 2010 study released by the Equal Justice Initiative. For example in Houston County, Alabama, 8 out of 10 African Americans qualified for jury service have been struck by prosecutors from serving on death penalty cases.

Trials are rare. Only 3 to 5 percent of criminal cases go to trial - the rest are plea bargained. Most African Americans defendants never get a trial. Most plea bargains consist of promise of a longer sentence if a person exercises their constitutional right to trial. As a result, people caught up in the system, as the American Bar Association points out, plead guilty even when innocent. Why? As one young man told me recently, “Who wouldn’t rather do three years for a crime they didn’t commit than risk twenty-five years for a crime they didn’t do?”

The U.S. Sentencing Commission reported in March 2010 that in the federal system black offenders receive sentences that are 10% longer than white offenders for the same crimes. Marc Mauer of the Sentencing Project reports African Americans are 21% more likely to receive mandatory minimum sentences than white defendants and 20% more like to be sentenced to prison than white drug defendants.

The longer the sentence, the more likely it is that non-white people will be the ones getting it. A July 2009 report by the Sentencing Project found that two-thirds of the people in the US with life sentences are non-white. In New York, it is 83%.

Even when released from prison, race continues to dominate. A study by Professor Devah Pager of the University of Wisconsin found that 17% of white job applicants with criminal records received call backs from employers while only 5% of black job applicants with criminal records received call backs. Race is so prominent in that study that whites with criminal records actually received better treatment than blacks without criminal records!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-qui ... 58947.html
By Godstud
Saying that someone is making racist statements, is not the same as calling them racist.
Stay on topic, please. Godstud is correct: it is acceptable to say someone's opinions or posts contain racist material (and if so, please report it); calling someone a racist is a direct attack on another poster and violates rule 2.

Let's act like adults here, please.
By Godstud
I listened to that Anthem while taking a long, well needed, shit. I am protesting your poser patriotic posts.
By blackjack21
DoleAndJefferson wrote:I think what African-American football players in the NFL are doing by kneeling is not only a absolute embarrassment to the country but they are disrespecting the soldiers who died to protect them such as in Vietnam or in the Middle East. as far as their issues, they are fake, 99.9% of the time when a Police Officer shoots a Black person is because the Black person did a crime and was a severe enough public danger that it warranted the Police officer to use a gun,not only that but this whole poverty issue is exaggerated by white Democrats who want to trick African-Americans into not working so they can push their government programs such as welfare onto them. in my honest opinion the African-American community needs to self-improve rather then just blame whites all the time. The average African-American would have as much money as an average person of European descendant if they were actually willing to work and strive for a better life.

Blacks who agree with you are routinely pilloried by the political left in the US. For example:

Godstud wrote:People opposing a peaceful protest are the embarrassment to the USA. USA is all talk about freedom but when people exercise it, they cry out and make a big fuss. Pathetic.

Pathetic is more like expats living under a military government in Thailand waxing on about US politics when you aren't even an American. Find something else to do with your time. Nobody is opposing NFL players doing things on their own time. They are opposing paying money and being forced to hear someone else's political views. Football is entertainment. It isn't politics. People watch football to forget about news and politics.

DoleAndJefferson wrote:Most of the time the African-Americans did a crime prior to being shot, such as murder or robbery.

Almost all of these cases involve resisting arrest, assault on a police officer, etc. Assault on a police officer is a felony, and a fist is a weapon. The reality of the situation is that these events also take place in areas run by the Democratic party for decades.

Incidentally, this is the sort of thing that happens in Thailand where Godstud chooses to live.

Thai army detains activist for royal cremation comment
I'll bet you Godstud doesn't say that he's taking a shit while thinking about the King of Thailand... :lol:
By Godstud
blackjack21 wrote:Pathetic is more like expats living under a military government in Thailand waxing on about US politics when you aren't even an American. Find something else to do with your time. Nobody is opposing NFL players doing things on their own time. They are opposing paying money and being forced to hear someone else's political views. Football is entertainment. It isn't politics. People watch football to forget about news and politics.
What is really pathetic is dopey cunts that believe that where you are from makes a different in your argument, on an international forum. it sucks when foreigners are more knowldgeable about your country, than you are, isn't it? :excited:

Grow the fuck up.

Blackjack21 wrote:I'll bet you Godstud doesn't say that he's taking a shit while thinking about the King of Thailand
I do, so your ignorance is noted, Dumbass.
By Hindsite
Zagadka wrote:Someone not standing up: Being forced to hear someone else's political views

Group of people marching on a public university: Freedom!

Next up: END BUMPER STICKERS! Stop forcing political views on me!

Ending bumper stickers with propaganda is a good idea. If I can last all these years without political stickers on the back of my car, everyone else could too. Besides, as free Americans we should not have it flaunted in front of our face.
By Godstud
Yes, get rid of bumper stickers that are offensive religious propaganda, like this:

Besides, as free Americans you should not have it flaunted in front of your face. Right?
By Hindsite
Godstud wrote:Yes, get rid of bumper stickers that are offensive religious propaganda, like this:

Besides, as free Americans you should not have it flaunted in front of your face. Right?

I have never done it. But apparently, not everyone agrees.
By 4cal
I wonder…

When you guys pray do you do so standing or kneeling?

I would bet you kneel

At least two sources on the Internet state that the reason is to show humility and to be humbled in the presence of something greater….kneeling during the anthem seems more respectful than standing.

Your mileage may vary.
By Drlee
It is a very respectful way to subtly protest. The "traditional" African American protest is the raised fist.

This is lost on some people.
By Hindsite
4cal wrote:I wonder…

I would bet you kneel

At least two sources on the Internet state that the reason is to show humility and to be humbled in the presence of something greater….kneeling during the anthem seems more respectful than standing.

Your mileage may vary.

I don't recall anyone in the church I grew up in, Calvary Baptist Church, kneeling while praying. The preacher stood at a podium and prayed. The rest of us either stood or remained seated with bowed heads.

I believe other Christian denominations sometime kneel with bowed heads during a prayer. There seems to be no standard rule on prayer position to my knowledge. However, there is a standard position to give respect for our flag and national anthem.

Drlee wrote:It is a very respectful way to subtly protest. The "traditional" African American protest is the raised fist.

This is lost on some people.

At one point there was at least nine Black NFL players with raised fist during the national anthem.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... nth_1.html

Racist NFL Player Raised Black Power Fist To White Players On WRONG Field – Won’t Be Playing

By Hong Wu
http://deadline.com/2017/10/astros-stee ... 202197362/

A bad week for the NFL with a recent game down 25% in ratings, probably related to baseball having an unusually good week (a 19% increase).

Aside from ratings, sales of NFL merchandise are also down. So what if I told you that flying your team's flag and wearing your team's Jersey is similar to being patriotic? In other words, it's the patriotic fans who do things like spend the most money on memorabilia. So not only is the NFL losing fans, I also suspect that the NFL is losing the more economically profitable of their fans.
By Godstud
It's only the NFL, so who gives a fuck?

If you care about football, the protests don't bother you.

If you don't care about football, they do.

it's that fucking simple.

If you want me to care for a fucking industry that cranks their prices up for merchandise by 1000%, then you are sadly mistaken. :lol: I can get an NFL jersey for $20 USD in Thailand, and it'd pass for a NFL jersey in USA(Same manufacturer... and it says Made in USA!).

Fun fact: If USA in Thailand holds land for the maximum lease, it is declared US land. Enjoy that tidbit as you "buy American", from Thai factories.
Last edited by Godstud on 31 Oct 2017 13:11, edited 3 times in total.
By Drlee
Hong wu's point: Football down, baseball up this week.

Could it be....oh I don't know....the fucking World Series?
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:At one point there was at least nine Black NFL players with raised fist during the national anthem.

Not "was" .......... "were" is correct.
By blackjack21
Godstud wrote:What is really pathetic is dopey cunts that believe that where you are from makes a different in your argument, on an international forum. it sucks when foreigners are more knowldgeable about your country, than you are, isn't it? :excited:

"makes a different in your argument" really? When you are trying to look smart, maybe you should spell "knowldgeable" as knowlegeable.

Godstud wrote:Grow the fuck up.

Go back to your Canadian elementary school teacher and tell her how she fucked up your spelling and grammar game. Otherwise, we Americans won't believe that Canada is utopia.

jimjam wrote:Not "was" .......... "were" is correct.

I see I'm having an influence. I have to go back and edit when I conflate their|there and its|it's. I know exactly the difference, but when I type, my fingers apparently aren't as interested in correct grammar as I am. I'm not in your presence, but if you have sticky notes, write "good boy" and put it over your heart.

Drlee wrote:Could it be....oh I don't know....the fucking World Series?

Tell me about it! I hate baseball, but game five was one of the most amazing baseball games ever. They should outlaw good pitchers so the sport wouldn't suck so much after the national anthem is over.

Godstud wrote:It's only the NFL, so who gives a fuck?

If you care about football, the protests don't bother you.

If you don't care about football, they do.

it's that fucking simple.

If you are a Canadian expat living voluntarily under a military junta, why do you give a fuck at all? Shouldn't you be trying to get your family back to heaven, I mean Canada?

4cal wrote:I wonder…

I would bet you kneel

It's a Catholic thing. Maybe CoE too? Dunno.

Trump is awesome!

Just English and scottish actually. Absolute ho[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]