Trump Takes on NFL - Page 49 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By colliric
Zagadka wrote:Jacqueline White called.

I agree with DrLee, Nike clearly doesn't give half a shit about the Trumpet crowd. Nike isn't going anywhere, especially in sports circles.

Shareholders payed for this bad decision.... Not the marketing department that approved it.

Also I agree with you too. Marketing and Corporate won't give a shit about it, but the investors are the ones who will hurt for a bit.
By blackjack21
colliric wrote:They know the audience, they're delibrately doing this
SJW bullshit. They did this to be "edgy". Marketing departments often don't give a shit about the bottom line these days.

It will be interesting to see what the fallout from it is in corporate America. I have to take annual ethics training, and the Clinton Foundation's activity is completely outside the bounds of our ethical standards now. That is, politicians who run their own "charities" are always suspect according to our ethical standards if you are trying to get something political accomplished and an official who may grant licenses, concessions, approve applications, etc. is asking for a donation to their charitable foundation. Keep in mind, I work for a publicly-traded company so this type of standard would not apply to a privately held organization.

Nike is publicly held. I find it interesting, because they deliberately waded into controversial political waters in a way that could reasonably be construed to harm or otherwise fail to maximize shareholder value.

colliric wrote:"Our company can't die, it's too big, let's push our progressive agenda onto our built in sporting customer base" type thinking.

Well, that certainly seems to be the thinking at the NFL, which is continuing to shed audience. I turned down participation in our fantasy football league this year, partly because I am going to switch roles at work and won't have time to follow it. Also, I'm just reducing involvement in football generally. I used to be a season ticket holder for the Raiders, but I go to maybe 3 games a year now.

colliric wrote:I bet they thought it wasn't going to tank this bad through.

I'm guessing they didn't think that it would have an effect.

Red_Army wrote:I hope the shalehorders burn in a fire. Nike is powered by sweatshop labor. Nike failing because of idiots who ignored horrible labor practices, but don't like black people is a perfect scenario for me.

It seems like someone is having a bad day... Yes, Nike is powered by Communist Chinese child slave labor, which is part of why virtue signaling from Nike is hilarious. However, the protests against Kaepernick are not because of his racial background. It is because he was a mouthpiece for progressives pushing a fake "hands up, don't shoot" narrative following Michael Brown getting shot and killed by police officer Darren Wilson after having committed a felony robbery, jay walking, essentially telling a cop to fuck off, punching a police office and trying to shoot him with his own gun and later charging the same police officer after having tried to shoot him with his own gun after having been told to freeze. The media still won't admit they cooked the whole story up, so it now involves investments in douchebags like Kaepernick and a $5B loss for the masters of Communist Chinese slave children.

drlee wrote:They realize that younger people support this kind of stance and the old ones are dying off.

Interesting. Do you think they realize that younger people aren't watching NFL games like they used to?

drlee wrote:The NFL fucked Nike with their racist ban on Kapernick.

There is no more ban on Kaepernick than there was on Tim Tebow. The difference is fans hate Kaepernick and they loved Tebow. Both would be in the league today if their football skills were up to scratch.

drlee wrote:Finally, my wife and I just spoke about running over and tanking up on Nike stuff.

Then you can feel good about employing little communist Chinese children who are forced to work to help feed their families. Why not buy American and Make America Great Again. https://www.sasshoes.com/

Anyway, the stock hasn't tanked enough to entice me to buy it yet.
By maz
I wonder what Kaepernick has to say about young black men killing each other over Nike's Michael Jordan basketball shoes.

It seems like more black men are killed over shoes, Nike shoes in particular, than they are killed from racist police officers.

1,200 people are killed each year over sneakers

“It didn’t surprise me that kids would become violent and really ferocious about these shoes, because the way [companies] market them, they market them as if they’re the dream,” Mike Epps, the actor and avid sneaker collector, says in the video.

In particular, critics have accused basketball legend Michael Jordan and manufacturer Nike, which owns the Jordan brand, of encouraging frenzied behavior over their shoes. The most sought-after Jordans are expensive and released in limited quantities, making them highly sought-after and valuable. In October, former NBA star Stephon Marbury singled out Jordan in association with ”kids dying over shoes,” when he announced the return of his own $15 Starbury sneakers to market.
Probably not much, Maz, because the statistic you cited is complete bullshit (this is pointed out in the article you cited) used to flimsily prop up your half-assed whataboutist argument.

Thanks for sharing the very first result you found for "black kids killed over shoes" on Google with us though, you have added greatly to this conversation.
By Drlee
Interesting. Do you think they realize that younger people aren't watching NFL games like they used to?

I think they do. I don't think this commercial is there to appeal to NFL viewers. I think it is there despite them. My guess is that Nike is just running the numbers and playing a long game.

Then you can feel good about employing little communist Chinese children who are forced to work to help feed their families. Why not buy American and Make America Great Again. https://www.sasshoes.com/

Care to tell me a brand of athletic shoes made in America? A few years ago New Balance tried a few but I doubt they are doing them now. They are no longer advertising them except on their website. I did not look elsewhere but the price for the cheapest directly from them is $169.00 per pair.

Now if I thought that they were paying USA workers high wages commensurate with the high price I might go there. That is if they have the very wide size that I need.

The USA imports 98% of its footwear. Tell you what. You build a factory and I will buy my athletic shoes there. 4E please.
By blackjack21
drlee wrote:Care to tell me a brand of athletic shoes made in America? A few years ago New Balance tried a few but I doubt they are doing them now. They are no longer advertising them except on their website. I did not look elsewhere but the price for the cheapest directly from them is $169.00 per pair.

Now if I thought that they were paying USA workers high wages commensurate with the high price I might go there. That is if they have the very wide size that I need.

The USA imports 98% of its footwear. Tell you what. You build a factory and I will buy my athletic shoes there. 4E please.

They still have them, even with your width: https://www.newbalance.com/made-in-us-a ... 20%284E%29
By Godstud
I support Nike and find nothing wrong with their commercial. It's just a bunch of whiney people bitching about nothing. Burn your already bought Nike purchases. It's just dumb.

By Red_Army
lol @maz You don't have to speak about every wrong in the world to be speak about one. That is nonsense. Also systemic racism was the impetus for the violent hellscape that many inner city people live through on a daily basis.

Next time someone punches you in the dick (I'm sure it happens on a regular basis) I hope someone asks you why you aren't complaining about the Rohingya genocide when you cry like a bitch.
By maz
Red_Army wrote:lol @maz You don't have to speak about every wrong in the world to be speak about one. That is nonsense. Also systemic racism was the impetus for the violent hellscape that many inner city people live through on a daily basis.

Kaepernick should have signed with Adidas, Under Armor or some other shoe company whose products are not directly the cause of the shooting deaths of so many young black men.

Red_Army wrote:Also systemic racism was the impetus for the violent hellscape that many inner city people live through on a daily basis.

Maybe that was the case in the early 20th century, but what is the excuse now? Systemic racism impressed a lot of Japanese, but they somehow got through it.
Last edited by maz on 07 Sep 2018 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
By maz
Red_Army wrote:@maz If your argument is that N***** are an inferior breed of humans just say it and don't be a pussy.

That's not my gig. My argument is totally on topic and 100% valid, and it is funny to see you so triggered.

In the meantime, Ill just watch you try and defend the indefensible.

By Red_Army
@maz I'm not the one upset about a shoe advertisement... I'm sorry your athletics apparel safe space was invaded by "thugs". I hope you can get over it.

Why would I defend a murderer and in what way is that murder trial on-topic or valid in this thread about Trump and the NFL? Just bust out the FBI crime statistics and be done with it. You have nothing on topic to say and will just widen your racist crosshair indefinitely because you think black people are animals and don't care about the specifics of a thread when you assert as much.
By maz
I'm not upset about the advertisement because I don't purchase Nike products and never will.

Unlike Kaepernick, I at least try to have some principles and maintain them.

I just like pointing out the fact the liberals are all of the sudden pro-corporation.

That, and Kaepernick, with his afro, pretends to be this over the top pro-black revolutionary who just happens to sign endorsement deals with a company that sells shoes that blacks kill each other over. Do you not see the hilarious irony in this?
By Red_Army
Liberals have always been pro-corporation.

As far as people killing each other over shoes its just because they are expensive. There is nothing unique about Nike except its popularity as a brand and commensurate value. The primary motivation for killing anyone has always been resources. You just like to focus on black people killing for jordans because you're an obvious racist and want to depict black people as animals. 2 million Iraqis and 4,000 American soldiers have so far died in Iraq and it seems pretty pointless to me. Since you're upset about Kaep's silence on black-on-black crime, why aren't you decrying every other profit-motivated death?
By maz
Red_Army wrote:Liberals have always been pro-corporation.

As far as people killing each other over shoes its just because they are expensive. There is nothing unique about Nike except its popularity as a brand and commensurate value. The primary motivation for killing anyone has always been resources. You just like to focus on black people killing for jordans because you're an obvious racist and want to depict black people as animals.

Under Armour released a $300 pair of basketball shoes at the end of 2017, but I haven't found any stories of blacks or any other groups of people killing each other over Under Armour shoes.

Red_Army wrote:2 million Iraqis and 4,000 American soldiers have so far died in Iraq and it seems pretty pointless to me. Since you're upset about Kaep's silence on black-on-black crime, why aren't you decrying every other profit-motivated death?

Maybe because I have and continued to be anti-Iraq war and other Middle East hoax wars.

I'm not the one pretending to be pro-black but turning around and signing endorsement deals with Nike. I would probably had a little more respect for him had he signed with Under Armour instead of Nike.
By blackjack21
Red_Army wrote:As far as people killing each other over shoes its just because they are expensive. There is nothing unique about Nike except its popularity as a brand and commensurate value. The primary motivation for killing anyone has always been resources. You just like to focus on black people killing for jordans because you're an obvious racist and want to depict black people as animals. 2 million Iraqis and 4,000 American soldiers have so far died in Iraq and it seems pretty pointless to me. Since you're upset about Kaep's silence on black-on-black crime, why aren't you decrying every other profit-motivated death?

Expensive shoes are not a necessity. The materials for making them are not scarce. Thus, killing over inessential items that have little intrinsic value does appear to be something of an anomaly that would make some render a value judgement. This can be said of many luxury goods. In terms of intrinsic value, what does a Ferrari have that a Ford does not? Essentially nothing. Yet, they trade at different market values.

With respect to Iraq, it happens to be sitting on top of the largest proven reserves of light sweet crude that is under pressure at the well head. That is, they have plenty of easily recoverable oil, which powers industrialized economies in North America, Europe and Asia (yes, I know Brazil and Argentina don't like being ignored). Since there is a civilizational scale of dependence, it's very clear why there will be constant fights over those resources and who controls them.

maz wrote:Under Armour released a $300 pair of basketball shoes at the end of 2017, but I haven't found any stories of blacks or any other groups of people killing each other over Under Armour shoes.

I had too much capital tied up on other stocks to buy them when they hit 11 a share. It might be a buy if it tags that moving average at about $17 a share. At any rate, they've never been that successful at shoes. If they get a shoe that sells, that stock will take off.

maz wrote:That, and Kaepernick, with his afro, pretends to be this over the top pro-black revolutionary who just happens to sign endorsement deals with a company that sells shoes that blacks kill each other over. Do you not see the hilarious irony in this?

Evidently, they do not see the irony. For that to happen, a right winger has to become CEO of Nike. Then, it will be clear that Nike uses the psychology of scarcity to get poor urban youth to pay far more for shoes than they are worth, triggering a wave of crimes against the person and property among the economically disadvantaged.

NKE stock hasn't fallen enough for me to buy it. We also haven't seen any actual fallout yet, but there is enough publicity to suggest that there will be some fallout.

Anyway, it is sort of interesting, because it seems like a lot of people do not realize the Michael Brown story was fake news. Since the news outlets they watch will not tell them, it is creating a significant divide that is having significant financial consequences. Businesses associated to the NFL, whether merchandising, televising or advertising have lost hundreds of millions in value as customers turn away. Now it seems that Nike will do the same.

A sort of nobody school has already eliminated Nike.
Missouri college will no longer wear Nike following ad featuring Colin Kaepernick
“In their new ad campaign, we believe Nike executives are promoting an attitude of division and disrespect toward America,” College of the Ozarks President Jerry C. Davis said in a statement. “If Nike is ashamed of America, we are ashamed of them. We also believe that those who know what sacrifice is all about are more likely to be wearing a military uniform than an athletic uniform.”

These guys are looking at it as Nike is unpatriotic. That's a pretty strong reaction.

This guy puts it in almost strictly partisan terms.
Nike vs. In-N-Out: The silent majority has spoken
First, the GOP controls the presidency, Senate and House. It has a large majority of the country’s governors and lieutenant governors. It controls the majority of state legislatures. The GOP dominates America.

Yet liberals and the liberal media paint political conservatives as extremists. Liberals are kidding themselves. Pure delusion. Our views are common sense and mainstream. You’re the radical, extreme ones. You’re the ones who are out of touch.

This is also true, but it is indicative of the disconnect with the media and the political left, and to a lesser but important extent the establishment Republicans who seem to try to curry favor with the very unpopular left in America.

So, you think you’re going to boycott all 28 million small businesses in America? For donating to the party that’s great for the economy and helps our businesses succeed? Good luck.

That could be why the In-N-Out boycott failed so disastrously. No one cares about a political donation.

But now we come to corporation No. 2. Nike. They just made a disastrous decision. And they will pay for it with a massive sales decline and billions of dollars in lost stock value. Nike may have fatally damaged itself this week.

Nike didn’t make a political donation. Nike just made former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick the face of its company. That is a combination of stupidity, ignorance, offensiveness and tragic thinking. Nike just branded itself with a person half of America (and all 63 million Trump voters) considers a vile, ungrateful America-hater.

Now that’s bad business.

Here’s a guy who had a $126 million contract but thinks America is unfair to minorities. Here’s a guy who figuratively spits in the faces of veterans and cops — and on our flag. What a joke. What a clueless hypocrite. What a disgrace to America.

You’d think Nike would have learned from the NFL’s terrible decision to allow players to kneel for our national anthem. The NFL lost hundreds of millions of dollars with massive ratings declines, empty seats and lost merchandise sales. Kaepernick was the face of that disaster.

It's a fascinating view, because this Wayne Allen Root guy more or less has the pulse of the country right. Yet, these very wealthy leftists do not seem to care that they have not only lost influence, but are set to lose considerable amounts of money too. Not that this bothers me in the slightest. I'm cheering it on. I just can't believe it's happening. This is like doubling down on gambling losses.

Why I'm boycotting Nike: Get woke and go broke
Whereas in the past Nike signed and paid the best athletes in their sports — Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Andre Agassi, Bo Jackson, Serena Williams — now the company is signing a former athlete who is infamous for his politics.

Another good point. To be fair to Kaepernick, he did lead the 49ers to the SuperBowl--where they lost. Bwahahaha. Can't help it. I'm an embittered Raider fan. Then, Kaepernick more or less melted down. His play deteriorated significantly. It's bizarre that Nike would pick a washout to represent their brand. Maybe their are enough sore losers to buy their products. We shall see.

There are people who champion Nike's bizarre decision too.

Kaepernick is the Ali of his generation. You'll love him when he's dead
Again, this sort of misses the point. Ali won his fights. He was brash, a braggart, and able to promote. In spite of his stance on the Vietnam War and signing up for the Religion-of-Peace to protest the draft, Ali was a popular personality who could sell products nonetheless. Ali was funny and entertaining. Kaepernick is bitter and depressing.

The latest chapter in the “Colin Kaepernick vs. White American Supremacy” saga took an unexpected turn this week when Nike made him the face of its 30th Anniversary “Just Do It” Campaign.

It's a fascinating divide. It appears that many Kaepernick supporter conflate Patriotism with White Supremacy.

This piece in Vanity Fair has some insights into NFL owners declining Trump's offer to buy the Buffalo Bills, along with a lot of other witty criticisms.
“THEY JUST SAW HIM AS THIS SCUMBAG HUCKSTER”: TRUMP, KAEPERNICK, AND HOW THE N.F.L. RE-IGNITED THE CULTURE WARS
It was only a matter of time before Trump served up Kaepernick, the vegan quarterback, as red meat to his base.

Funny.

Trump had wanted into the N.F.L. Membership Club for years, even though his earlier foray into football with the U.S.F.L.’s New Jersey Generals in the 1980s met with a disastrous end. The U.S.F.L. folded in 1986, and Trump received heavy blame for, among other things, offering exorbitant salaries to lure name players such as Herschel Walker and Doug Flutie to the Generals, even though his counterparts would bankrupt themselves if they tried to keep pace. Trump was also the driving force behind the league moving its games from spring to fall to compete directly with the N.F.L.

From the start, Trump’s motive with the U.S.F.L. was to get himself into the N.F.L., either through a merger or by making the Generals so enticing that the big boys could not refuse him. Trump, in 1984, finagled a meeting with N.F.L. commissioner Pete Rozelle at the Pierre hotel in New York, in which he said that he would do whatever it took to get into the league. Rozelle was not impressed, according to an account of the meeting by Jeff Pearlman, author of an upcoming book on the U.S.F.L. “They just saw him as this scumbag huckster,” Pearlman said of Trump. “He was this New York, fast-talking kind of con man.”

The N.F.L. had long factored in Trump’s well-documented Wannabe Complex: his craving for acceptance from the real billionaires and real tough guys whose ranks he desperately wanted to join. His most recent play for entry came in 2014, when he attempted to buy the Buffalo Bills, a franchise that was most definitely not tired of winning. No one thought Trump was serious. They figured it was just another one of his publicity stunts, like running for president, something that would never (ahem) amount to anything. Trump did not come close to passing muster with the Membership. He was, for starters, not considered sufficiently solvent or transparent to proffer a serious bid. Football owners, as it turns out, get a much closer look at a candidate’s finances than electorates do.

Trump is bashing the establishment that bashed him. Politics aside, I find this very entertaining. I grew sick of the establishment and even quit the Republican party after they adopted leftist tactics to smear anyone that wasn't for open borders. Now, I find it very entertaining to see Trump's influence crushing the establishment's narrative.

The financial dimension, I think, is worthy of another topic/thread. I've been watching FB stock tank for awhile now, and hear people buying it up. I quit FB. I think they are in real trouble now. Social media generally could be in real trouble as they have adopted leftist politics while tying themselves to the very unpopular surveillance state.
By Red_Army
Underarmor is the brand for fat chuds. They aren't cool enough for anyone to steal them.

@blackjack21 yes, politics is an argument about the correct distribution of resources. People have differing opinions on this I'll have you know.

@maz Your implication is that Kaep loves black people killing each other for shoes because he didn't mention it in his protest. You do the same thing every time you refuse to speak about every thing you care about simultaneously.

I want a picture of the two of you wearing your 4X under armor shirts wicking the sweat from you while you stand in air conditioned rooms :lol:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]