Trump Takes on NFL - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Oxymoron
Bulaba Jones wrote:There were images posted in the Charlottesville thread of guys using Nazi and Confederate flags to try to impale people, and images/video of people beating the counterprotesters with their flagpoles.

By Oxymoron
skinster wrote:https://twitter.com/sansdn/status/913208443074314240

Snowflakes burn other peoples shit, because snowflakes are loser leftists who live in basements.
This is real protest, and putting money where your mouth is. We do not ask for safe spaces, we take space and make it safe 8)
By Oxymoron
Bulaba Jones wrote:Apparently Oxy thinks the alt-right likes the Jews.

Apparently Bulaba thinks alt-right is the only group of people who have a problem with arrogant fucks disrespecting the American flag.
By Hindsite
SpecialOlympian wrote:Wow hindsite is there some reason you refuse to believe nazis are incapable of committing violence, even thought violence against the flag, when they were carrying around the flags of nations that fought against the US?

I did not say Nazis are not capable of committing violence. But there were no Nazis at that Rally. There were just people dressed up in funny looking costumes.
By Hindsite
SpecialOlympian wrote:Let's meet halfway: I'm perfectly fine calling people waving nazi flags and shouting nazi slogans average Trump supporters.

I'm not. Many of those people were there to protest the removal of the General Robert E. Lee memorial statue and not to support President Trump. In fact I don't know of any of them that said they were there to support President Trump.
By Drlee
It occurs to me that there were a whole lot of black folks for whom the happiest day of their lives was when they saw the American flag coming down the road. Just saying.

There were a whole lot of white folks who considered the battle flag of the army of Northern Virginia the very personification of evil.. (Very few people actually know what a CSA flag looked like. Almost no one has a sticker of it on his pickup.)

Want something to protest?

The Virginian battle flag is given the same protection from burning and desecration as the U.S. flag in five U.S. states: Florida,[103] Georgia,[104] Louisiana,[105] Mississippi,[106] and South Carolina.

Hmmm.

Back to the real deal. The NFL is making commercial use of the American flag and the national anthem. This "ceremony" is not about patriotism but the blatant attempt to wrap their for profit corporation in the cloak of patriotism. If they really wanted to be patriotic and honor our fallen soldiers they would not take money from the US Government for doing it.

When are we going to get tired of the "teary eyed" phone commercials showing the soldier coming home to his overjoyed dog? Where are the protests about that? How many times to we have to see "out troops" shoved down our throats selling everything from coffee to insurance. (Most life insurance policies do not cover death in battle by the way.) The pentagon even has an office of entertainment liaison.

Then there is United Airlines which has American Flags on its aircraft but exported its reservation center to Manila. How patriotic is that. There is American Airlines too. American Hot Sauce. American Self Storage. PayPal credit card with an American Flag theme. MacDonald's flying their company flag right below the American one where the state flag ought to be. There are literally thousands of examples.

The fact is that the US flag has become almost as much a commercial banner as it is a sacred national symbol. But nobody complains about the fact that it is a violation of the flag code for American Airlines to paint a stylized American flag on the tail of its aircraft by way of a company logo. Who complains that the New England Patriots use a butchered American flag in its team logo.

But let one black football player kneel during the playing of the national anthem and all of a sudden our Donald Trump toadies want to play misty for us. They are nothing but hypocrites.

If you want the flag to be a sacred symbol of our nations honor and the sacrifice of its service people then how about taking a knee when you see the ITS Tactical hoodie with a skull superimposed over the American flag being used to sell sunscreen and "tactical packs" to GI wannabees who want to carry assault rifles but couldn't last a day in USMC boot camp.

So all of you carping about the flag code join me in taking a knee whenever we see the tens of thousands of violations we see every year, when people just like the NFL, use the flag to sell shit.
By colliric
Every country's flag gets used commercially by private companies at some stage....

Not just the USA flag.

It's not disrespectful. Most of the time it falls under the categories of indicating the product or company has a traditional association with that country(and therefore is a sign of either Patriotism, flawed or not, or simply indicates that company was founded there and they are respecting their own history) or it's for the purposes of Souvenir sales for tourism.

Appropriate reverence depends on the situation. A flag raising or anthem ceremony requires special reverence and respect as it usually proceeds either a national official ceremony of some kind(such as War Memorial ceremonies), a traditional cultural sporting competition, or an important local government ceremony.
By skinster
Bulaba Jones wrote:Apparently Oxy thinks the alt-right likes the Jews.

They love Israel because they want Western Jews to get out and go there. :excited:
colliric wrote:Every country's flag gets used commercially by private companies at some stage....

Not just the USA flag.

It's not disrespectful. Most of the time it falls under the categories of indicating the product or company has a traditional association with that country(and therefore is a sign of either Patriotism, flawed or not, or simply indicates that company was founded there and they are respecting their own history) or it's for the purposes of Souvenir sales for tourism.

Appropriate reverence depends on the situation. A flag raising or anthem ceremony requires special reverence and respect as it usually proceeds either a national official ceremony of some kind(such as War Memorial ceremonies), a traditional cultural sporting competition, or an important local government ceremony.

Fair. I don't think anybody is saying that we have to tear down the flags McDonald's puts up.

The other side is claiming that I have to feel a certain way about the flag. This is consistent with the post-modern feeling-monger's obsession with making everything a safe-space for their own feelings and demanding that everyone else feel the same way.

But it is not realistic. When I see someone roll out a giant flag stitched together by children in the third world and jets go VROOOOMMM I'm allowed to roll my eyes at the dumb chimpanzees that have no idea how horrified Washington and Jefferson would be at the display.

If you are used to seeing the flag on the shoulder of a police officer that shot your cousin, you're allowed to cringe and not want to be forced to show admiration for it.

If you want to identify the flag with a martial tradition that is relevant, you're allowed to do so.

It's also fair to laugh at the cry babies childishly blubbering about how their feelings are hurt because their feelings aren't universal.
By Hindsite
Drlee wrote:Want something to protest?

No. I don't like protests and demonstrations.

Drlee wrote:Back to the real deal. The NFL is making commercial use of the American flag and the national anthem. This "ceremony" is not about patriotism but the blatant attempt to wrap their for profit corporation in the cloak of patriotism.

Many of us don't see it as you do. I think it is about patriotism by the honoring of an important symbol of the United States of America.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... ted_States

Drlee wrote: If they really wanted to be patriotic and honor our fallen soldiers they would not take money from the US Government for doing it.

That would be nice, but the displaying of the U.S. Flag and playing our National Anthem, as is done in other major sporting events, like MLB, NBA, and NASCAR, is all we expect.

Drlee wrote:When are we going to get tired of the "teary eyed" phone commercials showing the soldier coming home to his overjoyed dog?

If you don't like them, then don't watch. There are a lot of commercials I don't like and I just ignore them.

Drlee wrote:The fact is that the US flag has become almost as much a commercial banner as it is a sacred national symbol. But nobody complains about the fact that it is a violation of the flag code for American Airlines to paint a stylized American flag on the tail of its aircraft by way of a company logo. Who complains that the New England Patriots use a butchered American flag in its team logo.

I don't think anyone cares about that. If they want to, I have no objection.

Drlee wrote:But let one black football player kneel during the playing of the national anthem and all of a sudden our Donald Trump toadies want to play misty for us. They are nothing but hypocrites.

I am not a hypocrite. Unlike you, I understood my training in the U.S. Army on the importance of standing at attention and saluting to honor our Flag as a symbol of our nation when in my military uniform, and to stand with my right hand over my heart, as a civilian.

Drlee wrote:If you want the flag to be a sacred symbol of our nations honor and the sacrifice of its service people then how about taking a knee when you see the ITS Tactical hoodie with a skull superimposed over the American flag being used to sell sunscreen and "tactical packs" to GI wannabees who want to carry assault rifles but couldn't last a day in USMC boot camp.

So all of you carping about the flag code join me in taking a knee whenever we see the tens of thousands of violations we see every year, when people just like the NFL, use the flag to sell shit.

No, I am not going to take a knee to anything or anyone, except to my Lord and Savior. HalleluYah.
By blackjack21
Drlee wrote:Back to the real deal. The NFL is making commercial use of the American flag and the national anthem. This "ceremony" is not about patriotism but the blatant attempt to wrap their for profit corporation in the cloak of patriotism. If they really wanted to be patriotic and honor our fallen soldiers they would not take money from the US Government for doing it.

Well, they certainly wouldn't be participating in false protests like the Michael Brown incident. Clearly, Brown had it coming to him. The embrace of Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin is exactly why blacks have so many problems with the police. In all the years of this dialogue, I have still yet to see anyone from the political left (except maybe Chris Rock) get up and tell black people not to call the police "motherfucker" and so forth. Yet, the NFL takes the other side of the fence too when it is trying to promote left wing causes. For example, they ginned up public outcry against Ray Rice. His wife/girlfriend hit him first; and yet, those who argue passionately for equality before the law and self defense suddenly became a bunch of medieval chivalrists--"It's okay for a woman to hit a man and spit in his face, but if he hits her back and knocks her out, oh! the horror!" :roll: We also got the Adrian Petersen using a switch to spank his child as a good reason to convict another black man of a felony. Finally, we've got Aldon Smith who has been kept out of the game, because ostensibly the police are doing such a great job of catching him being naughty. If BLM and players had highlighted relevant cases rather than Michael Brown, maybe they'd get somewhere. Michael Brown is dead, because he was a violent thug. Using those tactics against the police will get you killed. Everyone should know that.

Drlee wrote:But let one black football player kneel during the playing of the national anthem and all of a sudden our Donald Trump toadies want to play misty for us. They are nothing but hypocrites.

We're paying for a product, and it certainly isn't left wing political views. If we wanted to hear that sort of thing, we'd go to a Bernie Sanders rally. Football fans tend to have many military and many evangelical Christians among them. The NFL owners were apoplectic when Tim Tebow took a knee after a touchdown to praise Jesus. They had him run out of the league for that. Yet, they embrace the false "hands up, don't shoot" narrative.

The Immortal Goon wrote:The other side is claiming that I have to feel a certain way about the flag. This is consistent with the post-modern feeling-monger's obsession with making everything a safe-space for their own feelings and demanding that everyone else feel the same way.

I couldn't care less how you feel about the flag. I just don't think I should be induced to watch a game that purports to be cloaked in patriotism, with special tax treatment, special anti-trust waivers, and military advertising contracts, and then be subjected to a bunch of left wing propaganda that directly undermines patriotism. If I paid money, there is a contract. This is a business transaction, and not a matter of public political speech. The NFL is backpeddling now, because fans are hitting the NFL in the pocket book. What the Steelers did, sans Alejandro Villaneuva, is against the NFL rules. Yet, the NFL doesn't enforce it. What Tim Tebow did was within the NFL rules, and fans loved it. Yet, the NFL drove him out of the league because he was an evangelical Christian.

Like the Washington establishment, the NFL establishment despises its own sport and its audience/customers.
BlackJack21 wrote:Like the Washington establishment, the NFL establishment despises its own sport and its audience/customers.

You’re putting an emotional spin on it, typical of rightwingers always concerned about feelings. Like Washington, like all business transaction in capitalism, the NFL is alienated from its audience/customers/self.

The rest of your response follows. You claim that you, “couldn’t care less how you feel about the flag,” and then whine about being, “subjected to a bunch of leftwing propaganda that directly undermines patriotism.”

There arre people that, as I mentioned before, might see it as an act of patriotism to kneel. But, as always, it’s about the special feelings of rightwingers that everyone else must adhere to.

You try to dress it up as a business transaction, that the feels you have are something you paid for (this is the alienation part of capitalism). But I would ask you to show me a player contract where it stipulates that every player has to make sure that the feelings of rightwingers aren’t hurt.
By blackjack21
The Immortal Goon wrote:You’re putting an emotional spin on it, typical of rightwingers always concerned about feelings.

Just because my words struck a deep, emotional chord with you doesn't mean that is what I intended to do. I'm simply stating a fact. I am also stating that it has had consequences.

NFL ticket sales plummet 17.9%
NFL commits suicide by Trump with politically correct protests
NFL Favorability Gets Nearly Cut In Half After Anthem Protests
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]