Trump Takes on NFL - Page 33 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Doug64
Godstud wrote:Ticket prices were always too high. people should be praising the players for forcing the prices down, instead of being unpatriotic cocksuckers, who object to the 1st Amendment.

The 1st Amendment doesn't protect political speech on private employers' time and dime. To paraphrase Billy Joel, you're free to speak your mind, but not on your boss's time.

Meanwhile, NFL ratings and merchandise sales continue to drop.
By Hindsite
Doug64 wrote:The 1st Amendment doesn't protect political speech on private employers' time and dime. To paraphrase Billy Joel, you're free to speak your mind, but not on your boss's time.

You are going to need a sledge hammer to drum that in to a liberal atheist's head (i.e. Godstud). :(
By Zagadka
Doug64 wrote:The 1st Amendment doesn't protect political speech on private employers' time and dime.

I agree.

So why would people pressure an owner who does allow that on their dime?

Meanwhile, NFL ratings and merchandise sales continue to drop.

Because everything in life has a single cause.
By Doug64
Zagadka wrote:I agree.

So why would people pressure an owner who does allow that on their dime?

One of the first rules of any business — keep your customers happy, because if you don’t they’ll take their business elsewhere.

Because everything in life has a single cause.

Never said it was, but you can’t tell me that the disrespect shown the flag and the nation it represents hasn’t played a part — the fans and former fans themselves have said as much. When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging.
By Drlee
Never said it was, but you can’t tell me that the disrespect shown the flag and the nation it represents hasn’t played a part — the fans and former fans themselves have said as much. When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging.

Absolutely. And as I have said time and again, the players should stop being a weapon of mass distraction for the president. They are doing more harm than good with their protest. They are rich and powerful men. Particularly on a local and state level. They should put their money and mouths to work locally by opposing politicians who do not push for change and supporting those who do. If they would do this, things would change. What mayoral candidate wants an NFL player campaigning against them? What elected police chief wants an NFL player donating big money to their opponent? What candidate for the US House of Representatives wants an NFL player speaking at their opponents rallies?

These players are simply tools now. They are fouling their own nest, giving power to racists and diluting their own brand.
By Doug64
And a new possible twist in the soap opera:

Report: While the NFL’s Ratings and Popularity Plummets, WWE’s Vince McMahon Considers XFL Reboot

With the NFL undergoing a nearly unprecedented decline in ratings, in-game attendance, and overall popularity; a bold and adventurous businessman with lots of resources, could consider launching a rival football league to compete with the NFL.

The WWE’s Vince McMahon is fits that bold and adventurous description and, reportedly, he is considering launching a new football league.

The first report of McMahon’s potential interest appeared on Twitter, via Brad Shepard:

EXCLUSIVE: Vince McMahon is looking to bring back the XFL and may announce it on January 25th, 2018.

EXCLUSIVE: Vince McMahon told people in WWE that he developed the desire to bring back the XFL when he was doing the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on it.

WWE employees have been told internally to “get ready” because it is coming.

The WWE, when asked to confirm or deny a potential XFL reboot by David Bixenspan of Deadspin.com, said this: "Vince McMahon has established and is personally funding a separate entity from WWE, Alpha Entertainment, to explore investment opportunities across the sports and entertainment landscapes, including professional football. Mr. McMahon has nothing further to announce at this time."

While that confirmation isn’t specific, it confirms the substance of Shepard’s report.

In 2001, Mcmahon, then of the WWF, launched a football league which attempted to complement the NFL, instead of rival it.

In February, Pro Football Talk wrote of a conversation between McMahon and NBC’s Dick Ebersol, where the two discussed a possible return of the XFL, or something similar to it. The impetus behind that conversation sprung from a Sports Illustrated article which strongly supported the idea that football fans did not like the current direction of the NFL.

Instead of a focus on safety, concussions, and rules designed to prevent injury; fans seemed to want a return to “no holds barred” football. The original version of the XFL was certainly that, featuring a combination of acrobatic hits with an atmosphere that seemed focused on entertainment instead of safety.

Could it be that the XFL might have just been ahead of its time? There seems to be some willingness to find out. As Pro Football Talk relates, at that meeting in early 2017, Ebersol asked McMahon, “Do you ever have any thoughts about trying again?”

McMahon replied, “Yes I do. I don’t know what it would be. I don’t know if it’s gonna be another XFL or what it may be or how different I would make it. It seems like in some way it would tie in either with the NFL itself or the owners.

“Well certainly the most adventurous owner is Jerry Jones,” Ebersol says.

McMahon nods and smiles. “Yes.”

“We both know him pretty well,” Ebersol continues. “You’ve just had a Wrestlemania with him. Jones is and was a real fan of what we tried to do and speaks of it even fondly still today as something that really was trying to fill a need.”

Given Jerry Jones’ failed attempt to derail or delay NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s contract, this conversation is even more interesting now than it was in February of this year. After all, what better way for Jones to get back at Goodell, than to somehow foster a rival league that would hurt the NFL’s business?

Now, of course, as an NFL owner Jones probably could not fund a direct rival to the NFL without running afoul of dozens of explicit or implied legal rules which prevent him from doing so.

However, as we saw with the Papa John’s episode a few months ago, Jones has shown a willingness and and ability to convince his business partners to turn on the NFL when he wants to make a point. Who is to say that Jones couldn’t covertly arrange a meeting between McMahon and a high-dollar investor? Or, broadcast partner?

Would Jones be hurting his own business if McMahon decided to compete with the NFL? Maybe, but it’s highly unlikely. And even if the “XFL 2.0” were to seriously challenge the NFL, the league’s 32 owners would probably just do what they normally do in the business world when they’re threatened by an outside force: buy them out.

In any event, Jones would have gotten his point across, in addition to getting some measure of on Roger Goodell.

Not to mention the potential “bully pulpit” a NFL rival league would have in President Trump. The president has ripped the NFL over the anthem protests, and criticized the league as much as any chief executive has ever criticized a sports league. Meaning, that any rival football league would almost assuredly be backed by the full faith and credit of the most powerful Twitter account in the world.

A few tweets and public shows of support from Trump, would amount to tens of millions of free advertising for the new league.

Regardless of whether the league would be a rival or supplement to the NFL, it would be fun to watch and couldn’t come at a better time. Fans are ready to bail on the NFL, or at least give something else a try.

Only one piece of advice to McMahon, you might want to make a rule against protesting the anthem.

Like, immediately.
By blackjack21
Well, as we're closing out 2017, I have to say that Trump won this round too.

NFL looking at game plan to recover from record-low TV ratings
NFL Cancels Sunday Night Football For Week 17
They didn't have an evening game on Christmas Eve either--a Sunday evening without football... They are cratering. You just got to love Colin Kaepernick and all he has done to the NFL. :knife:
By Doug64
blackjack21 wrote:Well, as we're closing out 2017, I have to say that Trump won this round too.

NFL looking at game plan to recover from record-low TV ratings
NFL Cancels Sunday Night Football For Week 17
They didn't have an evening game on Christmas Eve either--a Sunday evening without football... They are cratering. You just got to love Colin Kaepernick and all he has done to the NFL. :knife:

Actually, even if the ratings weren’t collapsing it’s probable that there wouldn’t be a game on New Year’s Eve. The last time they did it didn’t do well:

The last time the NFL held a Sunday night football game on New Year’s Eve was in 2006, when the Chicago Bears hosted the Green Bay Packers. It was quarterback Brett Favre’s last game with the Packers (and widely expected to be his last game ever). Still, only 13.4 million people watched that game, about a quarter fewer than the average Sunday Night Football game that season.
By Zagadka
Even if we go on a limb and attribute lower NFL ratings to the kneeling... in what way is that a "Trump victory"? All Trump did was say it was stupid, along with many other people. Trump had nothing to do with it.

If those are the standards we are declaring "victory" over... I have a lot of things to celebrate!

Trump *did* take on the NFL decades ago, and had a pretty embarrassing time of failing at it, for a master businessman.
By Doug64
Zagadka wrote:Even if we go on a limb and attribute lower NFL ratings to the kneeling... in what way is that a "Trump victory"? All Trump did was say it was stupid, along with many other people. Trump had nothing to do with it.

If those are the standards we are declaring "victory" over... I have a lot of things to celebrate!

Trump *did* take on the NFL decades ago, and had a pretty embarrassing time of failing at it, for a master businessman.

Absolutely right. Sure, Trump helped publicize the issue. But if it hadn’t resonated with a lot of fans his publicizing would have vanished into a black hole, never to be heard again.
By Drlee
As everyone knows I was not in favor of the kneeling. I believe it was an empty gesture and that the goals of these athletes with regard to BLM could have been advanced far better in different ways. Everyone remember that?

So we are to believe that this is a Trump victory? We are to rejoice that the thousands of people who make their livings from professional football are loosing at least part of that living? Are reduced turnouts for the games hurting the athletes? Not now. The owners? Yes. But this is our usual worship of the wealthy showing its ugly head.

Trump is famous for "You're Fired". A really odd thing to be proud of. Is it a victory that all of those $10.00 per hour concessionaires are loosing their jobs? The secretaries? Ticket sellers? Janitors? The television studios are loosing revenue which affects their investors? We are happy about the fact that a US President took them all down? I guess we should not be surprised. He has been fucking little people for his whole life.

I am disgusted at those who would call this a victory. It might have been a political ploy with some benefit for Trump but other than that it is a bad thing all around.
By Hindsite
Drlee wrote:As everyone knows I was not in favor of the kneeling. I believe it was an empty gesture and that the goals of these athletes with regard to BLM could have been advanced far better in different ways. Everyone remember that?

So we are to believe that this is a Trump victory? We are to rejoice that the thousands of people who make their livings from professional football are loosing at least part of that living? Are reduced turnouts for the games hurting the athletes? Not now. The owners? Yes. But this is our usual worship of the wealthy showing its ugly head.

Trump is famous for "You're Fired". A really odd thing to be proud of. Is it a victory that all of those $10.00 per hour concessionaires are loosing their jobs? The secretaries? Ticket sellers? Janitors? The television studios are loosing revenue which affects their investors? We are happy about the fact that a US President took them all down? I guess we should not be surprised. He has been fucking little people for his whole life.

I am disgusted at those who would call this a victory. It might have been a political ploy with some benefit for Trump but other than that it is a bad thing all around.

It was not a political ploy. It was simply Trump calling it like it is again. It is Trump doing the right thing as the Trump of God. HalleluYah.
By Drlee
It was not a political ploy. It was simply Trump calling it like it is again. It is Trump doing the right thing....

:lol:

You bet. That must be it....
By Finfinder
Drlee wrote:As everyone knows I was not in favor of the kneeling. I believe it was an empty gesture and that the goals of these athletes with regard to BLM could have been advanced far better in different ways. Everyone remember that?

Are you making this stuff up as you go, or do you have something to back up all these secretaries and janitors losing* (*spelled correctly :D ) their jobs.
By Drlee
Are you making this stuff up as you go, or do you have something to back up all these secretaries and janitors losing* (*spelled correctly :D ) their jobs.

Look it up yourself. I'm sure that the owners of the teams losing millions and some say billions are going to just absorb the losses. But how about this sport. If attendance is down all of the concessionaires lose money. Taxis lose money. Parking lot owners lose money. Food suppliers lose money. On and on. This should not be hard for even you to understand.
By Hindsite
Drlee wrote:Look it up yourself. I'm sure that the owners of the teams losing millions and some say billions are going to just absorb the losses. But how about this sport. If attendance is down all of the concessionaires lose money. Taxis lose money. Parking lot owners lose money. Food suppliers lose money. On and on. This should not be hard for even you to understand.

Don't worry. All the players will be standing for the national anthem next year and the fans will gradually come back and bring their children and football and concessionaires will do fine again. Thank the Trump of God for that. HalleluYah
By Ter
@Drlee
You are correct to state that thousands of jobs are in peril because of the lower interest in NFL games. But you cannot hold all those people to ransom because of the stupidity of a few wayward sport athletes who think it is appropriate to make political statements during sports games.
Those thousands should be the first to protest the athletes who refuse to stand for the national anthem.
Instead of viewing Kapernick as a hero, he should be constantly confronted with the people who lose income and jobs because of him.
Trump has nothing to do with this.
By Drlee
You are correct to state that thousands of jobs are in peril because of the lower interest in NFL games. But you cannot hold all those people to ransom because of the stupidity of a few wayward sport athletes who think it is appropriate to make political statements during sports games.
Those thousands should be the first to protest the athletes who refuse to stand for the national anthem.
Instead of viewing Kapernick as a hero, he should be constantly confronted with the people who lose income and jobs because of him.
Trump has nothing to do with this.

I think that Trump has a great deal to do with this. He has excited his base to boycott the NFL.
By Zagadka
I've not met one person who has actually boycotted the NFL over the kneeling. I've met people upset about it, but they can't be bothered to actually boycott anything. I've seen plenty of sold out games, especially in LA where our teams are "new" (and the Rams good). I obviously don't have the statistics in front of me, but it would make more sense if it were a natural fluctuation in the numbers.
By Finfinder
Drlee wrote:Look it up yourself. I'm sure that the owners of the teams losing millions and some say billions are going to just absorb the losses. But how about this sport. If attendance is down all of the concessionaires lose money. Taxis lose money. Parking lot owners lose money. Food suppliers lose money. On and on. This should not be hard for even you to understand.

No, you made the claim. Please back it up,or was it just more of your dramatic RHINO spin. BTW I can play your games as well....... Does the MENSA club know you do not know the difference between lose and loose. Surely your membership is in jeopardy. :lol:

@FiveofSwords Edwards' critique does not con[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 19, Friday Allied troops land on Norway co[…]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]