A majority of millennials now reject capitalism, poll shows - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
MistyTiger wrote:Capitalism was the source of my misery when I graduated college in 2009. I was unemployed and had no job leads, no pro contacts...only a degree. I was a loser.

Mani from work is from Ukraine. She doesn't work that hard, she has a rich husband, she doesn't understand what it is to be at the mercy of an economic system where you have to have the right skills or you starve. She is nothing without her American husband.

How are you starving in a food stamp system? I sort of did that once because I was too proud to take food stamps but I don't blame other people for my excessive pride.

Just as most millennials can't define what capitalism is, most of their dialogues are based off of fantasies like this. "Oh, I was starving because of Drumpf!" No, you either weren't starving or you were starving because you were too proud to accept the alternatives. Sure the alternatives might suck but don't try to martyr yourself over your hunger if it was avoidable.
Hong Wu wrote:How are you starving in a food stamp system? I sort of did that once because I was too proud to take food stamps but I don't blame other people for my excessive pride.

Just as most millennials can't define what capitalism is, most of their dialogues are based off of fantasies like this. "Oh, I was starving because of Drumpf!" No, you either weren't starving or you were starving because you were too proud to accept the alternatives. Sure the alternatives might suck but don't try to martyr yourself over your hunger if it was avoidable.

Dodgey shit can be happen
New Mexico Defrauds The Poor Out Of Food Stamps, Whistleblowers Say

But generally, in the industrialized world, starvation in the third world poverty sense isn't the issue as much as food insecurity.
The USDA defines food insecurity as households that are “uncertain of having, or [are] unable to acquire enough food to meet the needs of all their members because they [have] insufficient money or other resources for food.” Food insecurity is also measured in relation to a household’s economic and social circumstances that result in restricted or unreliable access to adequate food.

Food Insecurity in The United States

Perhaps Misty was thinking of starve in this sense of not being able to get the adequate amount of food and not necessarily being entirely without. How uni kids be talking surviving on Ramen noodles because they ain't got that much cash.
MistyTiger wrote:And looks like he beats her at times. One time he split her lip. She can always swear in Russian and Ukrainian when he's around or not.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using PoFo mobile app

I have never hit a women in my life and I certainly don't condone wife beating. The guy should be in jail. Maybe, my understanding of foreign wives is incorrect. I am lucky I married an old fashion American girl that I have been married to for over 50 years. She has talked back to me at times, but we have always been able to work things out. HalleluYah.
Hindsite wrote:I have never hit a women in my life and I certainly don't condone wife beating. The guy should be in jail. Maybe, my understanding of foreign wives is incorrect. I am lucky I married an old fashion American girl that I have been married to for over 50 years. She has talked back to me at times, but we have always been able to work things out. HalleluYah.

Good. I despise violent men who want to take out their anger on women. If I ever marry, I want to be very sure that the man will never hit me even if I piss him off.

Wellsy wrote:]Perhaps Misty was thinking of starve in this sense of not being able to get the adequate amount of food and not necessarily being entirely without. How uni kids be talking surviving on Ramen noodles because they ain't got that much cash.

Yes. Some people can afford some food but they do not have enough money to buy healthier food, like fruit and meat can be beyond the budget for the majority of Americans. Just look at the price of beef!

Hong Wu wrote:How are you starving in a food stamp system? I sort of did that once because I was too proud to take food stamps but I don't blame other people for my excessive pride.

Not everyone who needs it, qualifies for food stamps. Plus, the paper work for food stamps is tedious to say the least. They ask a lot of in-depth questions about personal assets and I think many people would find it too invasive. And they have specific guidelines like if you have money in your savings account above $1,500 or so, that could be a reason that a person could be rejected. Those of us who study business like myself, we can't stand the idea of only having less than 1500 in the bank, that's not enough for 2 months of rent. Have you actually seen an application for TANF? I have several years ago and I looked at it for 5 minutes and realized that I wouldn't qualify. For one I did not want to tell them about how much I had in assets not that it was a lot, but they even wanted to know about the assets of family members and that's not something I want to share.

I was jobless in 2009 and that was way before Trump was in office. I wasn't actually starving but I was starving for gainful employment. I was going crazy. I just wanted to be hired in an office and get paid but no one was hiring, it was a bloody recession. Realizing that I did not need TANF and that I had my mom, helped ease the pain somewhat. The recession was a major reason I was suffering but also it was due to my not choosing the right career path. I had no idea what I really wanted to do.

Now I realize that studying business is usually a good career path. :D
MistyTiger wrote:Good. I despise violent men who want to take out their anger on women. If I ever marry, I want to be very sure that the man will never hit me even if I piss him off.

My wife has made me angry. But I love her too much to even slap her. Anyway, that would only make me angry at myself and would not solve any problems and i do not consider it a manly thing to do.

MistyTiger wrote:For one I did not want to tell them about how much I had in assets not that it was a lot, but they even wanted to know about the assets of family members and that's not something I want to share.

Many of the people just lie on the paperwork. And most of them get away with it. I do admire your honesty, but sometimes that does not put food on the dining table.
Hindsite wrote:My wife has made me angry. But I love her too much to even slap her. Anyway, that would only make me angry at myself and would not solve any problems and i do not consider it a manly thing to do.

Many of the people just lie on the paperwork. And most of them get away with it. I do admire your honesty, but sometimes that does not put food on the dining table.

Wives can always make their husbands angry unless the husband doesn't love her. I can see that you truly love her still which is beautiful.

I could never lie on the paperwork. I would feel dirty and having some legal education in college, I can't forget the tenets that I was taught. I can't do anything that goes against the ethics I learned and grew to appreciate. If I had gotten very desperate, I would have sold off my assets and spent most of my money or hid it away before applying for food stamps. Nowadays hiding away assets is harder to do than ever, ohhhh the days of having offshore accounts being untraceable... :lol:
MistyTiger wrote:Wives can always make their husbands angry unless the husband doesn't love her.

But why do they make their husbands angry?

MistyTiger wrote:I could never lie on the paperwork.

Yes, I understand. However, I said that, because there are some that do cheat, even though, they could make out okay without government aid. A few that have been caught where well off financially, but i guess they get a kick out of beating the system. And we taxpayers, pay for it all. Now debit cards are issued instead of food stamps, so as not to cause any embarrassment. We certainly don't want anyone on government assistance to be embarrassed. Praise the Lord.
Hindsite wrote:But why do they make their husbands angry?

Yes, I understand. However, I said that, because there are some that do cheat, even though, they could make out okay without government aid. A few that have been caught where well off financially, but i guess they get a kick out of beating the system. And we taxpayers, pay for it all. Now debit cards are issued instead of food stamps, so as not to cause any embarrassment. We certainly don't want anyone on government assistance to be embarrassed. Praise the Lord.

Why do husbands get angry? I can only say that when people care so much, they get more emotional with each other, each has a certain amount of control over how the other feels.

I knew about EBT cards but I didn't know about food debit cards. People tend to abuse those to buy booze and cigs, unfortunately. Well who knows how much of each taxpayer contribution goes to welfare, some goes to paying for law enforcement and firemen and public schools, as well as city government funding.
Hindsite wrote:If somebody asked you to tell them what color the sky is, you’d probably say blue. Most people do. But is the sky really blue? If the sky was blue, it should stay blue all the time, but the sky turns different colors at sunrise and sunset.So what color is the sky?

It’s actually clear!

Duh. Which might be why you can often see the moon in the daytime.
The sky looks blue because when the sun is overhead, the atmosphere scatters more blue light than any other color, so the color that reaches our eyes is blue! But at sunset, the light has to travel farther to reach our eyes. The blue light gets scattered so much that is disappears, and the colors that now reach us are reds, oranges, and pinks. And after the sun sets, there’s no more light to scatter, so we can see straight though the clear atmosphere to the stars in space!

http://blog.sciencescore.com/what-colour-is-the-sky/

<yawn> Remember the "What color is the dress?" controversy last year? Do you think the color of the dress changed depending on the assumed lighting conditions?

MistyTiger wrote:
Capitalism was the source of my misery when I graduated college in 2009.

Probably; but do you understand HOW?
Last edited by Truth To Power on 17 Oct 2017 20:21, edited 2 times in total.
ingliz wrote:<yawn> Colour is not a property of electromagnetic radiation.

Sure it is, as looking at a rainbow or other spectrum decomposed from white light will prove.
Perceiving colours is a subjective process; a subjective psychological phenomenon.

You are conflating the perception with the percept. An object's color is the visible color (wavelength) or mix of colors it reflects most when illuminated with a normal spectrum of white light.
Truth To Power wrote:Sure it is, as looking at a rainbow or other spectrum decomposed from white light will prove.

Wrong, those are correlates not predicates. You cannot reduce the experience of color (qualia) to physical properties.

Truth To Power wrote:You are conflating the perception with the percept. An object's color is the visible color (wavelength) or mix of colors it reflects most when illuminated with a normal spectrum of white light.

Percepts are bundles of sensations, none of which can be reduced to physical properties as the identity of physical properties are themselves reducible to sensations (qualia). All objects of perception are percepts, thus the whole physical world is sense-reductive and therefore phenomenal.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Wrong, those are correlates not predicates. You cannot reduce the experience of color (qualia) to physical properties.

Sure you can, and science has done so by showing how different wavelengths of light stimulate different receptors in the eye.
Percepts are bundles of sensations,

No they aren't. They are external objects identified by the perceiver.
none of which can be reduced to physical properties as the identity of physical properties are themselves reducible to sensations (qualia).

Garbage. The only FUNCTION of sensation is to provide information about objective reality that the organism can act on to enhance its survival.
All objects of perception are percepts, thus the whole physical world is sense-reductive and therefore phenomenal.

LOL! I sense a graduate of some respected university's department of of "philosophy"...
Truth To Power wrote:Sure you can, and science has done so by showing how different wavelengths of light stimulate different receptors in the eye.

Still just a correlation. That is, the experience of color is said to occur by an agent in correlation to their physical eye's being effected by certain wavelengths in the eye. Once again, this relationship is a correlation and cannot be demonstrated a causal or logically necessary. To say otherwise is fallacious: cum hoc ergo propter hoc.

Truth To Power wrote:No they aren't. They are external objects identified by the perceiver.

Any perceptual object's constituent qualities are reducible to subjective states of sense-experience, care to debate the point?

Truth To Power wrote:Garbage. The only FUNCTION of sensation is to provide information about objective reality that the organism can act on to enhance its survival.

Sensation is not a function, it is a constituent and irreducible quality of reality as received via experience. The "Garbage" is that which cannot be established as logically necessary; that is, your position.

Truth To Power wrote:LOL! I sense a graduate of some respected university's department of of "philosophy"...

You would be half right, my undergraduate was a double-major in American History and Western Philosophy, my Masters was in Theology and Biblical Studies, and my studies towards my Ph.D. are in the philosophy of history as well as moral and political philosophy.
Truth To Power wrote:Sure you can...

Surely you cannot.

Synaesthesia:

"Danko Nikolić of the Max Planck Institute for Brain Research in Frankfurt pointed out that concepts can trigger synaesthetic experiences too. For example, grapheme-colour synaesthetes experience the colours associated with the number 7 when presented with 5 + 2. The same letter can also evoke different synaesthetic experiences according to its context – the grapheme "0", for example, evokes one colour when presented in a sequence of letters and another when presented in a sequence of numbers."

:)
Rich wrote:In Rome you had privatised fire services.

Technically the Vigiles and the Pretorian Guard were para-military army corps. So technically it was more an Army-State.... Or what we would call today a Police State.

It wasn't quite privatized, it was kind of in it's own way contracted to the military. Technically "Public", but a "local army unit" mostly run directly by the Emperor's Bodyguards.
Truth To Power wrote:Duh. Which might be why you can often see the moon in the daytime.

<yawn> Remember the "What color is the dress?" controversy last year? Do you think the color of the dress changed depending on the assumed lighting conditions?

No.
No, but the appearance of the color may depend on the lighting.
colliric wrote:Technically the Vigiles and the Pretorian Guard were para-military army corps. So technically it was more an Army-State.... Or what we would call today a Police State.

It wasn't quite privatized, it was kind of in it's own way contracted to the military. Technically "Public", but a "local army unit" mostly run directly by the Emperor's Bodyguards.

I was talking about the Republic. Crassus' fire brigade was purely private as far as I can make out. The Roman Republic perhaps could be described as Capitalist, but its absurd to describe the current system as such. Libertarians want to overthrow democracy and institute Capitalist rule, this is why they look back to the Roman Republic.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]