A majority of millennials now reject capitalism, poll shows - Page 10 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
@Truth To Power

I am no economist but I know that there was very little job growth and opportunities in 2009. The future looked bleak. There was so much competition for jobs and nothing set me apart from other young college graduates. I didn't even have any business contacts. University professors don't count unless they are also trained in business, law, medicine or some other booming field. But my professors were mostly academics or the wishy washy types.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:You have not demonstrated a logical necessity in the relationship.

Cause is a physical relationship, not a logical one. Boom. Your "argument" is instantly demolished. You'll find that happening a lot, as long as you presume to dispute with me. Watch:
The fact that responses observed in an eyeball occur at the same time as the occurrence of certain wavelengths of light and at the same time as occurrence of certain synapses firing in the brain, occurring at the same time as someone claiming to have experienced the sensation of "redness" are ALL by definition just correlations.

Nope. Wrong again. That's just Hume's refusal to know that there is such a thing as cause. The causal relation is established by delineating the physical mechanism: the distinct chemical changes in retinal receptors in response to different visible wavelengths. So another of your "arguments" is demolished.
If they are observed to happen at the same time every time for a million years they would only ever be just correlations BY DEFINITION.

But it's not just that they are observed at the same time. A PHYSICAL MECHANISM explains WHY they are observed at the same time. That explanatory physical mechanism is what we MEAN by "cause."

So another of your "arguments" is demolished.
Except none has, how have you shown anything more than things occurring, as observed, either at the same time as one another (correlation) or in sequence?

See above. Physical mechanism. So another of your "arguments" is demolished.
Show me and I shall willingly concede the point.

OK, I've shown you. Prediction: you will not concede the point.
This is not an argument

True: but it's an appropriate dismissal of your non-argument.
and I am neither Humean, nor do I deny the reality of causation.

Sure you do. See above.
I believe in both causation and in consciousness,

Of some supernatural sort, perhaps....?
but you also assume here that man cannot make inductive inferences unless he assumes observable physical causation.

Nope. I have neither said nor implied any such thing. You -- unsurprisingly -- merely have the logic backwards again. The inductive inference is what stimulates the search for the physical mechanism.
This is false, to make inductive inferences one only has to observe a "pattern"

Correct. But that's not the end of the story. To discern cause we must understand what causes the pattern: the mechanism.
I do not deny patterns (which are the same as correlations but repeated in sequence sufficiently over time for one to confidently describe such with a "law"), but to say those patterns are causal in nature is false and can lead to other false conclusions.

Which might be why I did not say observed pattern is equivalent to cause.
Either way, to dismiss such because people allegedly act inconsistently with their principles is a fallacy" Tu Qoque (appeal to hypocrisy).....your really batting a thousand lately aren't you?

:lol: ROTFL! Wrong again. The tu quoque fallacy (and please note the correct spelling) is only a fallacy when directed to the other disputant's OWN behavior, not human behavior generally. My argument was that NO ONE over the age of three acts as if they do not know what cause is, including those who explicitly profess not to. So it is not a matter of invoking just one individual's hypocrisy, but the invariable PATTERN of behavior that demonstrates universal understanding of causation. So another of your "arguments" is demolished.
Sensations are mental content and cannot be reduced to physical properties.

Wrong again. Mental content IS physical, as modern neurological investigations have established. You're just sticking to your cargo-cult view of consciousness because it accords with your Bible school metaphysics -- though it goes back at least to Plato.
Something cannot give what itself does not have;

Wrong again, as Typhoid Mary proved.

Consider a computer making a move in a chess game. It doesn't know anything about chess pieces, the contest of intellects, why the rules are the way they are, etc. Its move is just our interpretation of an output character string. But the character string is itself just an interpretation of 1s and 0s in a certain memory register, and in fact even those 1s and 0s are an interpretation of electrical states in physical logic circuits, the end result of myriad previous electrical states in myriad logic circuits. The computer gives a response to its opponent's move, but it has no such thing in its physical circuitry. The move is an interpretation, just as our sensations are interpretations of physical processes in our nerves and brains.
therefore, if only a mind can have mental content,

Tautology. Not informative.
than whatever mental content I have must have come from some other Mind.

No, your mental content is your brain's interpretation of the neurochemical events your own mind consists of. So another of your "arguments" is demolished.
Function presupposes activity, sensations are not an act of the will or body,

They are definitely an act of the body, as anaesthesia proves. So another of your "arguments" is demolished.
but are passively received.

Nope. A rock passively receives light, but has no accompanying sensation.
That without such one could not "survive" is irrelevant to whether or not sensations are an active process (function) or a passive reality.

Wrong again. If they were a passive reality, we wouldn't need active, FUNCTIONING sense organs to receive them.
A constituent in the way that term was just used is by definition irreducible.

No, that's just you trying to impose a redefinition of "constituent" ex post facto.
I can demonstrate its irreducibility if you want to go down that road.

No you can't. Watch:
Likewise, "physics" and the "laws of physics" are based on observation and inferences based on observation, but the content of observation "objects" (percepts) and their relations are themselves reductive to sensation.

No, physics and its laws are not based on observation and inference, they are discovered by observation and inference, and thus pre-exist independently of them.
If you had no ability to sense, you would have no knowledge of physics.

Wrong again. Sensation can be eliminated by medical intervention, leaving knowledge intact.
Physics is dependent on sensation.

No. Only its investigation and discovery by human beings is.
Thus, physics is reducible to sensation and not the other way around. Prove me wrong.

Done. See above. But really, is that the quality of "argument" they taught you in graduate Bible school?? Never mind, it's on a par with what passes for argument in peer-reviewed philosophy journals.
Not an Argument.

But suffices to dismiss a non-argument...
Genetic Fallacy.

No it isn't. You are just incorrectly claiming a fallacy based on misunderstanding what I said, as you did with your incorrect claim of a tu quoque fallacy. A genetic fallacy assumes a conclusion based on origin, my statement was of a causal explanation of a previously observed conclusion based on origin. Totally different thing.
I should start keeping score.

:lol: You really don't want to go there, champ.
Once again, recognizing patterns and assuming causation are not the same thing.

Delineating a physical mechanism and assuming causation are not the same thing.
Where did you get your degree with honors? Night school at a community college?....holy fuck.

No, an internationally respected university. Certainly not some silly graduate school of "Bible Studies."
Ye are being pretty mean to Truth To Power. He sometimes just needs a little bit of help :)

You can guess at his intellectual age because he writes out a physical reaction before some of his posts. When he’s a little more informed he will be more confident and will better understand what the rest of us are writing about instead of assuming we are being “dishonest.”

Don’t get discouraged, Truth To Power. I know some of the questions I was asking may have been too difficult so you quit, but you stayed in this thread! Never stop trying ;)
No, your mental content is your brain's interpretation of the neurochemical events your own mind consists of. So another of your "arguments" is demolished.

Our brains can interpret nothing. They are essentially a biological, squishy version of a computer 'playing' chess. As you correctly pointed out, a computer can play chess better than any human, but it doesn't know that it's playing chess. We interpret its output as a 'move' on a 'board', but all the computer is doing is opening and closing logic circuits and outputting numbers. Our brains seem to work in more or less the same way, with the difference that we have minds which can interpret the output of our brains. The mind belongs to a different category of things than the brain. The brain, as a neurochemical mechanism, cannot interpret anything, and the mind does not consist of neurochemical events, as you claim. Minds always seem to be associated with brains, but we have not yet established (either philosophically or scientifically) how the brain 'causes' the mind, if indeed it does.
The Immortal Goon wrote:Ye are being pretty mean to Truth To Power. He sometimes just needs a little bit of help :)

You can guess at his intellectual age because he writes out a physical reaction before some of his posts. When he’s a little more informed he will be more confident and will better understand what the rest of us are writing about instead of assuming we are being “dishonest.”

It's not an assumption. It's an observation. There is no other explanation for persistent, absurd claims that no one over the age of five could possibly believe. Evil must always be justified, and the only way to justify it is by lies.
Don’t get discouraged, Truth To Power. I know some of the questions I was asking may have been too difficult so you quit, but you stayed in this thread! Never stop trying ;)

<yawn> Does that sort of snotty, supercilious sneering make you feel less intellectually inferior, Goon? I'll probably get around to answering your uninformative, evasive, disingenuous, and insulting tripe at some point. My problem is that dishonesty in the service of injustice and evil makes me physically ill, so it always takes me some time to recover after I read one of your responses.
redcarpet wrote:Can right-wingers here tell me how Obamacare isn't a capitalist institution

It's a third-way syncretic institution designed by radical corpocrats.

In the United States, "third way" adherents embrace fiscal conservatism to a greater extent than traditional social liberals, and advocate some replacement of welfare with workfare, and sometimes have a stronger preference for market solutions to traditional problems (as in pollution markets), while rejecting pure laissez-faire economics and other libertarian positions. This style of governing was firmly adopted and partly redefined during the administration of President Bill Clinton.[9] Political scientist Stephen Skowronek introduced the term "third way" into the interpretation of American presidential politics.[10][11][12] Such presidents undermine the opposition by borrowing policies from it in an effort to seize the middle and with it to achieve political dominance. This technique is known as triangulation, and was used by Bill Clinton and other New Democrats who sought to move beyond the party's New Deal liberalism reputation in response to the political realignment of the 1980s. Through this strategy, Clinton adopted themes associated with the Republican Party, such as fiscal conservatism, welfare reform, deregulation, and law and order policies. Famously, he declared in the 1996 State of the Union Address, "the era of big government is over".
Potemkin wrote:Our brains can interpret nothing.

That's a bizarre claim. What DOES interpret anything, then?
They are essentially a biological, squishy version of a computer 'playing' chess.
Right. But the chess it is playing maps onto the world.
We interpret its output as a 'move' on a 'board', but all the computer is doing is opening and closing logic circuits and outputting numbers. Our brains seem to work in more or less the same way, with the difference that we have minds which can interpret the output of our brains.

No, mind is the brain's interpretation of its own function.
The mind belongs to a different category of things than the brain.

Yes, the brain is a physical object, the mind is how that object interprets its own states.
The brain, as a neurochemical mechanism, cannot interpret anything,

Why not? ISTM self-evident that if the brain is not at least interpreting sense data and its own operations, it can't be doing much of anything. But we know it is. In fact, we know quite a lot about what it is doing.
and the mind does not consist of neurochemical events, as you claim.

Yes, it does. There's nothing else it could consist of.
Minds always seem to be associated with brains, but we have not yet established (either philosophically or scientifically) how the brain 'causes' the mind, if indeed it does.

We don't yet know in detail, just as we don't yet know in detail how DNA causes all the myriad physiological and biochemical expressions of a human phenotype. But we know we are learning more and more about it all the time, and there is no reason to think it is somehow resistant to the scientific method. It's just very complicated.
That's a bizarre claim. What DOES interpret anything, then?

Our mind, of course.

No, mind is the brain's interpretation of its own function.

But how does it interpret its own function? We don't know. We cannot make that leap from brain events - from calculations -, to mind events - to thoughts.

We don't yet know in detail, just as we don't yet know in detail how DNA causes all the myriad physiological and biochemical expressions of a human phenotype. But we know we are learning more and more about it all the time, and there is no reason to think it is somehow resistant to the scientific method. It's just very complicated.

It's more than just complicated - the brain and the mind are different categories of thing. We can correlate a brain event with a mind event, but we cannot trace a causal connection between them. As Erwin Schroedinger pointed out, qualia of experience cannot be described scientifically. The example he gave was of the human perception of the colour yellow. The colour yellow can be completely described scientifically as being electromagnetic radiation of a particular frequency. But doing so brings us no closer to understanding or even describing what it feels like for a human being to perceive the colour yellow.
Potemkin wrote:Our mind, of course.

So the brain is just there to fill the space between our ears? If the mind is not a physical process, how does it interpret -- or even more puzzling, cause -- physical events? At what point does the non-physical thought become physical action? That's a far more refractory question than figuring out how subjective experience maps to neurological processes.
But how does it interpret its own function? We don't know.

We have a pretty good idea. But the scientific investigation of that question is not aided by assuming the involvement of supernatural agencies.
We cannot make that leap from brain events - from calculations -, to mind events - to thoughts.

It's something we haven't figured out yet, but that doesn't mean we can't figure it out. It's like trying to figure out how to speak English based on studying written texts, or vice versa. It's extremely difficult, but with enough hard work, linguists have figured out how some dead languages must have sounded based solely on analysis of surviving texts and related living languages.
It's more than just complicated - the brain and the mind are different categories of thing.

So what? So are spoken English and written English. They are entirely different, yet they are also the same.
We can correlate a brain event with a mind event, but we cannot trace a causal connection between them.

There is no "causal connection" because they are the same thing, just seen from two different perspectives, like an English sentence that might be spoken or written.
As Erwin Schroedinger pointed out, qualia of experience cannot be described scientifically.

That is definitely wrong.
The example he gave was of the human perception of the colour yellow. The colour yellow can be completely described scientifically as being electromagnetic radiation of a particular frequency.

That's one description. There's also the fact that in emission color mixing, the sensation of seeing yellow can be created by combining red and green emissions. It's being figured out.
But doing so brings us no closer to understanding or even describing what it feels like for a human being to perceive the colour yellow.

I disagree. Looking at this sentence, you can tell how it would sound if spoken aloud even though physically, it's nothing like spoken language. Of course, brain function is much more complex than using the alphabet as a code for spoken words, but complexity is not the same as impossibility.
Truth To Power wrote:So the brain is just there to fill the space between our ears? If the mind is not a physical process, how does it interpret -- or even more puzzling, cause -- physical events? At what point does the non-physical thought become physical action? That's a far more refractory question than figuring out how subjective experience maps to neurological processes.

The mind is a spiritual component of the soul of man. The brain is the physical component used like a computer by the mind to enter instructions through the nervous system to help control voluntary functions of the physical body.

Source? I think Iran only communicated the end […]

Yeah, I'm in Maine. I have met Jimjam, but haven'[…]

No, you can't make that call without seeing the ev[…]

The people in the Synagogue, at Charlottesville, […]