Al Franken Accused of Sexual Harassment for 2006 Events - Page 10 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Godstud wrote:At least he admitted to it, and is accepting responsibility for his actions. I can respect that, if nothing else.

As others have said, he didn't admit to anything and he's not the only one who has reacted like this. A new favourite reaction among left wing men seems to be an apology "for the pain they have caused". That way they appear dutifully remorseful without acknowledging any wrongdoing. They can, for instance, say that the woman remembers the event differently to themselves and since that memory is distressful and causes her pain they are apologising for that.

It's smart.
OK. I never actually heard the apology, but if it was one of those "sorry your feelings were hurt" apologies, then it really is pretty crappy.

Why is it so hard to simply say, "I am very sorry for doing a real shitty thing. I regret my actions and the pain they caused.", ?
If the allegations are true, it's just the usual self-preservation.

If I remember correctly, Kevin Spacey did something similar. He said he couldn't remember the event but issued an apology nonetheless. He also came out as gay at the same time which was admittedly a bit odd and funny.
Godstud

The confusion, Methinks, may have been caused by the first woman who flat out rail led about how Franken assaulted her. She said
(Paraphrasing) he was bugging her to act out a scene which ended with a kiss. She said it wasn't necessary etc. but eventually consented to shut him up. They said the line then he kissed her. He would have seen this as consentual.
Yes, if you consent to a kiss, and you don't like the kiss afterwards, it's not sexual assault. She's a consenting adult, and were there repercussions to her refusing a kiss, we could argue that she was coerced. I don't see this as a factor, however. Am I wrong? :?:
Godstud wrote:Yes, if you consent to a kiss, and you don't like the kiss afterwards, it's not sexual assault. She's a consenting adult, and were there repercussions to her refusing a kiss, we could argue that she was coerced. I don't see this as a factor, however. Am I wrong? :?:

You don't seem to understand. She never consented to a kiss. She consented to rehearse the comedy act where he would attempt to kiss her and she would turn away and draw laughs from the audience.
OK. All of the men who have never done worse than Al Franken keep posting. The rest drop out of the thread. Frankly this whole kerfuffle seem like pole vaulting over mouse turds. Compared to most men Franken is a saint.
Hindsite wrote:You don't seem to understand. She never consented to a kiss. She consented to rehearse the comedy act where he would attempt to kiss her and she would turn away and draw laughs from the audience
. :roll: When she finally agreed to the kiss(which she did), that is CONSENT. It's not the same as kiddy-fiddling, but I don't expect you to understand that everything isn't black and white.
Godstud wrote:Yes, if you consent to a kiss, and you don't like the kiss afterwards, it's not sexual assault. She's a consenting adult, and were there repercussions to her refusing a kiss, we could argue that she was coerced. I don't see this as a factor, however. Am I wrong? :?:

Yeah you're wrong, it's a powerful asshole petulantly insisting on unwanted intimate contact. All sorts of threats are implied, so she's not a "consenting adult", she's a person under duress capitulating to preserve her future livelihood.
Sivad wrote:All sorts of threats are implied, so she's not a "consenting adult", she's a person under duress capitulating to preserve her future livelihood.
That's not was implied. You're the one making those implications, and not her. What kind of duress? Are you kidding me? You're more touchy feeling than a SJW/alt-right winger! :knife:

It was a kiss. Let's not blow this completely out of proportion.
Please quote where I told you Franken should not be punished. Please. No? That's because I said nothing of the sort. You're being dishonest about this. I've never said any sexual predator, no matter how minor, should get a "pass".
Too late, Godstud. Reactionaries don't rely on facts, they take a tale, a taped tale we've all heard a dozen times and add their own turns and twists.

Remember that game we played at 5, 6, 7 years of age, were one person whispered a sentence to a second, who whispered to a third, lather rinse repeat a dozen times? The last kid would say aloud what s/he heard, then the first would say what the original statement was, and low and behold! They would bear no resemblance at bloody all

Thats Philosophy 100 at Alt-Right U. Welcome.

Vague. From her tape, I took it she meant yes to the kiss because she said she just wanted to shut him up. She acted out the joke. I don't remember anything about specifying anything to do with the kiss.

But your right, it's so trivial a court wouldn't hear the case. Unlike kiddy crimes.

And this is a mature, attractive lady. As I said before, if a kiss is her worst experience she's got off light.

Now the Senate must figure out who amongst them qualifies to mop the floor with Jeff Sessions.
" On the day of the show Franken and I were alone backstage going over our lines one last time. He said to me, “We need to rehearse the kiss.” I laughed and ignored him. Then he said it again. I said something like, ‘Relax Al, this isn’t SNL … we don’t need to rehearse the kiss.’

He continued to insist, and I was beginning to get uncomfortable.

He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’ so he would stop badgering me. We did the line leading up to the kiss and then he came at me, put his hand on the back of my head, mashed his lips against mine and aggressively stuck his tongue in my mouth.

I immediately pushed him away with both of my hands against his chest and told him if he ever did that to me again I wouldn’t be so nice about it the next time.

I walked away. All I could think about was getting to a bathroom as fast as possible to rinse the taste of him out of my mouth.

I felt disgusted and violated."
Drlee wrote:OK. All of the men who have never done worse than Al Franken keep posting. The rest drop out of the thread. Frankly this whole kerfuffle seem like pole vaulting over mouse turds. Compared to most men Franken is a saint.

Jesus Christ, you've done that shit to women? I've never forced myself on anyone, I've never pressured a women into any kind of sexual act. For me, if the woman ain't into it then I'm not into it. I prefer willing partners. What in the fuck, dude? :eek:
Sivad wrote:He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’ so he would stop badgering me.

Thanks for finding the evidence: she consented.

Jesus Christ, you've done that shit to women? I've never forced myself on anyone, I've never pressured a women into any kind of sexual act. For me, if the woman ain't into it then I'm not into it. I prefer willing partners. What in the fuck, dude? 

Settle down. Dr Lee's not advocating anything criminal. I'm not sure I like the idea that kisses = sexual. I've kissed my gran. Kisses are an act of affection, sometimes shared by lovers. Like deserts.
You know I am a married woman I trust. Sweetie: sex, lovemaking...that is what adults do. I suppose some like the staid courtship which is fine, but I'm guessing most like flirty to lusty partners.

Her account said she agreed. She could have continued to defer, to say no.

That she didn't like the kiss a posteriori is irrelevant. Take heart. I doubt she'll require surgery.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Tainari88 , if someone enters your house withou[…]

Considering you have the intelligence of an oyste[…]

Liberals and centrists even feel comfortable just[…]

UK study finds young adults taking longer to find […]