Al Franken Accused of Sexual Harassment for 2006 Events - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
As they say, life comes at you fast.

Once minute, you are grandstanding and condemning the president of the US while the media establishment is propping you up as a potential presidential candidate. The next minute you are being reminded of your degenerate behavior in the most public of ways.

Will he be forced to step down?

Making the Case for a Al Franken-Kamela Harris 2020 Presidential Ticket

With American democracy firmly under assault, Democrats need to stop their infighting and start thinking about putting together a winning ticket in 2020.

Current presidents have the not-insignificant power of incumbency, so Democrats closely watching every tick in the poll numbers and just assuming Trump will go down automatically are engaging in wishful thinking. Americans vote for people who inspire them – think Obama over McCain – or for people they hate less – think many men voting for Trump over Clinton. The Democrats will need to find the ticket of the moment: candidates who inspire, who reflect the party’s values and authentically articulate its beliefs, and who people don’t hate.

That’s why Franken-Harris would be the perfect ticket for 2020.

Franken is the perfect choice for the first goal. Harris is the perfect goal for the second.

Al Franken – despite decades in New York – oozes a general Midwestern-ness that folks from that region – myself included – instantly recognize. He isn’t flashy, and he is funny in a self-deprecating, non-bombastic way that evokes That 70s Show far more than The Apprentice. He is the type of person millions of Midwesterners instantly like.

Equally important, he’s clean, and he evokes clean in a very midwestern way. He has been married to his wife, Franni, for decades, and freely admits they had challenging years, but a very happy marriage overall. He is wealthy, but hardly showy about it. He hasn’t had any scandals despite a decade as a senator and decades as a writer and comedian. He is famous – but in an almost unpretentious way that makes you forget he is famous.

He is also a midwestern liberal in the Minnesota mold. Midwestern progressives tend to be less vocal about it – less tweet prone you might say – but Franken absolutely has the bona fides. He’s been a progressive – on air and on record – for decades, dating back to SNL beginning in 1975 and his radio shows in the early 1990s. He was one of the first famous figures to really call out the radical right. He has the closest level of true progressive credibility to Bernie Sanders – but without the baggage.

Perhaps most importantly, almost nobody hates Al Franken. In American politics, this is crucial. Great American politicians that win multiple elections – Clinton, Reagan, Kennedy, FDR – have an affable, inherent likeability that they are born with and helps them in the voting booth. Failing politicians – Hillary Clinton, Mitt Romney, John Kerry, Al Gore, Walter Mondale – are often the opposite; they give off a distance, a statuesque iciness, that inspires many to dislike them at a visceral level and vote against them, even when they are the more qualified and better option. Whereas millions of Americans – rightly or not it can’t be denied – hated Hillary Clinton for decades dating back to 1992, and probably wouldn’t have voted her in office if hell froze over, almost no one will look at the themselves in the ballot box and think of Al Franken, “I hate that guy and won’t let him be president.”

Cont
Last edited by maz on 16 Nov 2017 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here.

Look at the picture that some dimwit thinks means something. She is wearing a flack jacket. It will stop a bullet. You could not feel a breast through it if you tried. :roll:

Now we have to listen to the mental midgets try to equate this with Moore's attempted sexual assault on several minors.

Nothing to see here. Time to move on.

To the larger issue though.

White women. I have no time for your complaints. You elected Donald Trump and know you want to join flash mobs taking down men all over the map. If, women, you really care about this stuff put your vote where your mouth is. Get out in record numbers and had the Alabama election to the democrats.

If Moore had practiced his chicanery on adults 30-40 years ago I would have little concern about it. Those really were different times. The norms of society, wrong as they were by today's standards were different. But Moore was practicing on children. That is quite different.

Come on women. You had your chance to have a woman in the presidency. You took a pass at it and elected a person who bragged that he could sexually assault women with impunity and now you are concerned about a comedian/actor who 'maybe' came on to a woman. Imagine that! A man made advances to a grown woman. What is this country coming to?
Drlee wrote:Nothing to see here.

Look at the picture that some dimwit thinks means something. She is wearing a flack jacket. It will stop a bullet. You could not feel a breast through it if you tried. :roll:

Now we have to listen to the mental midgets try to equate this with Moore's attempted sexual assault on several minors.

Nothing to see here. Time to move on.

Surely you having been in the military could see the wrong-doing here. I am not sure this violates some protocol between entertainers and the US Armed Forces, but it appears to be highly inappropriate and the military should be investigating.

Plus, this woman in question is a at least part Filipino, no the typical white woman who voted for Trump.
The military does not "investigate" nonsense like this. If he were her leader and she a subordinate it might get their attention. This is what we call "play". He was what we call "a comedian". God forbid a comedian tries to be funny.

I am confused as to why her ethnicity is important to you.
Imagine just imagine, if a student did what al Franken did on a college campus. Of course no proof is needed in college kangaroo courts. Any attempt to defend yourself is itself considered a crime. Some lying bitch only has to drop a word to the college Stazi and you're career is over, your life wrecked. For guy's on campus these days its like the Moscow show trials. I know students are meant to study Kafka at college, but really. Cultural Marxism would be funny if it weren't so sick.

:lol: Just imagine if you said look I'm innocent I took a photo, the college witch hunters would probably have a heart attack. I find it credible that all the meaningful allegations against Moore are false. There's all sorts of reasons people will make false allegations, money, fame, they just hate Republicans. Maybe they hate Roy Moore, they may have never met him or crossed paths in the legal system. There's also another possibility, some people can be leant on. Some people may have been black mailed to make allegations. What we do know is that Moore has a lot of very very powerful enemies. We've had Brexit, We've had Trump elected. That's twice the people have voted the wrong way. There's a lot of powerful people who want to make sure they don't vote the wrong way a third time.

I don't doubt there's also a lot of powerful Conservative's out to get Democrats. The problem with Al is that he admitted it and that photo. If Al had said it had been photo shopped I would have given it credence. That was my first thought when I saw the photo. I mean no one's that dumb, surly? But no it seems Al Franken really was that dumb.
If you listen to that painful interview with the lady that AL Franken kissed, she actually said yes to get him to shut up. She had said no several times, so I really don't think she's got much to grumble about.
Look at that picture, again. There is no physical contact being made. I agree with Drlee's assessment.

Sexual harassment of adult women is not the same as sexually molesting children.(I bolded that to make a point)
This a HUGE false equivalency!

I am sure Franken will have to pay for this, in some way, however. That's up to the ethics commission, however, and I doubt he'll be up on criminal charges.
Bourgeois politicians be bourgeois.

="Marx and Engels"The bourgeois sees his wife a mere instrument of production. He hears that the instruments of production are to be exploited in common, and, naturally, can come to no other conclusion that the lot of being common to all will likewise fall to the women.

...Our bourgeois, not content with having wives and daughters of their proletarians at their disposal, not to speak of common prostitutes, take the greatest pleasure in seducing each other’s wives.

The solution is not to rely on the bourgeois.

---

Edit—

Update:

Al Frankin apologized again and asked that an ethics investigation be launched against himself:

Leeann Tweeden made a statement:

The Hill wrote:The woman who accused Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) of sexual misconduct said Thursday she accepts his apology.

"The apology, sure I accept it, yes. People make mistakes and of course he knew he made a mistake," Leeann Tweeden said. "So yes I do accept that apology. There's no reason why I shouldn't accept his apology."

She said it's up to Congress to decide if it wants to have an ethics investigation into Franken's behavior, adding that she isn’t calling for Franken to step down, unless more women come forward.

“People make mistakes. I’m not calling for him to step down. That’s not my place to say that,” Tweeden said.

She said she wasn't "looking for anything" when she shared her story.

Everything I said still stands.

I wonder if this thread will reach a dozen pages of the usual suspects calling people "child fuckers" and so-on?

But seriously, if Al Fraken has admitted to fewer total incidents than what Roy Moore has been accused of without admitting guilt or there being any evidence, who is worse, Al Franken or Roy Moore?
Hong Wu wrote:I wonder if this thread will reach a dozen pages of the usual suspects calling people "child fuckers" and so-on?
This didn't involve children, so your statement is simply stupid.

Hong Wu wrote:But seriously, if Al Fraken has admitted to fewer total incidents than what Roy Moore has been accused of without admitting guilt or there being any evidence, who is worse, Al Franken or Roy Moore?
1. Al Franken didn't do this to a child. If he did and it was as serious as the charges against Moore, then we'd be responding in the same way.

2. Al Franken is accepting complete responsibility(not denying it and making the victims look bad) for his actions and even calling for an ethics investigation on himself.

3. You are trying to make a false equivalency argument, AGAIN. Simple sexual harassment where an apology might do it, is not the same as molesting a child, where the ramifications are likely far more severe.

4. No one is saying that Franken should be given a pass because he was a good senator. If he fucked up then he has to pay for it. Period.

AGAIN, this is about Conservatives doing the "What about _______?" Argument, in defense of the indefensible.
Godstud wrote:This didn't involve children, so your statement is simply stupid.

1. Al Franken didn't do this to a child. If he did and it was as serious as the charges against Moore, then we'd be responding in the same way.

2. Al Franken is accepting complete responsibility(not denying it and making the victims look bad) for his actions and even calling for an ethics investigation on himself.

3. You are trying to make a false equivalency argument, AGAIN. Simple sexual harassment where an apology might do it, is not the same as molesting a child, where the ramifications are likely far more severe.

4. No one is saying that Franken should be given a pass because he was a good senator. If he fucked up then he has to pay for it. Period.

AGAIN, this is about Conservatives doing the "What about _______?" Argument, in defense of the indefensible.

Well, I was baiting you a little bit so I guess I'll just give you this one.
As if anyone was concerned about who you thought won :lol:

I think this is a good process. People should be held accountable for their actions. The usual suspects (automatons without any independent thought) are parroting the 4chan line about admission of guilt making this worse. Roy Moor being a predator and a liar is not to his credit. Neither is it to Weinstein's credit, but none of the right wingers cared to defend his innocence. Similarly no one has admitted to having a pizza parlour sex dungeon, but that hasn't stopped you all from assuming their guilt on the basis of weirdly worded emails. The only thing I will give you is coordination. You all insert the 4chan suppository and instantly regurgitate it!

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]