Oprah Winfrey For President? - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
So the consensus seems to be POTUS Oprah would be a hilarious joke. Maybe there is a better choice? What about Dr Phil for president?

On the contrary. If she were to win, she would be a force to be reckoned with. We have never had a president who effectively wielded the women's vote to the same extent that she might. Note that Trump won with uneducated white women. Big. Oprah might be a game changer with them. They grew up on a steady diet of her and her personal approval rating with women is, as Donald says, HUGE. At one time in 07, Pew found she had an over 75% favorability rating with all Americans and over 80% with women.

Clearly as a political candidate these ratings would crash with republicans. That said though, if she plays her cards right on abortion she just might be unstoppable.

One NYT Political columnist tweeted: "Still, Ms. Winfrey could face a difficult fight for the Democratic nomination, especially against _________

It is tough to finish that sentence."

Another nightmare scenario for Republicans would be if she ran for Corker's seat in Tennessee. She attended college there. That might well be a quick turn over. Even though the state calls itself conservative, many of these claim to be moderate. And man would Oprah be able to make that an expensive race. If she threw a few million bucks at the race it would require the republicans to spend like crazy on a seat they figured to win for pennies. Even if she didn't win, she would dig a big hole in their budget.

I am enjoying those who are dismissing her or otherwise just airing their usual (sometimes not very covert) racist agendas. It is possible to be against Oprah for political reasons and not be a racist. Very easy. I am seeing very little condemnation of her political views here though. That is a dead give-away.
Drlee wrote:On the contrary. If she were to win, she would be a force to be reckoned with. We have never had a president who effectively wielded the women's vote to the same extent that she might. Note that Trump won with uneducated white women. Big. Oprah might be a game changer with them. They grew up on a steady diet of her and her personal approval rating with women is, as Donald says, HUGE. At one time in 07, Pew found she had an over 75% favorability rating with all Americans and over 80% with women.

Clearly as a political candidate these ratings would crash with republicans. That said though, if she plays her cards right on abortion she just might be unstoppable.

If anyone were to win, they'd be a force to be reckoned with. Oprah's strengths are money and name recognition. Gender isn't a reliable voting bloc, and that is a big part of why Hillary lost. Hillary didn't make a cogent case to be president. Oprah would naturally tank in the polls as she reveals a platform. Yet, your analysis is making the same mistake you made in 2016. A majority doesn't win you the White House. You need 270 electoral college votes. In Oprah's case, the problem now is that both the black and woman identity politics dynamics are a negative. Nobody wants to go back to Obama's politics of racial division, and the country just rejected Hillary Clinton for president because she made her case primarily on the novelty of being a woman and not disagreeing in any way with Obama's policies. The #metoo movement will get addressed when Trump sees fit to do it. "Do you want your husband, father, son, brother or any other man you care about to be tried in the court of public opinion with no evidence for something he was accused of doing 20-30 years ago?" That would blow a hole in #metoo very quickly.

To win, Oprah has to set herself apart from the Democratic establishment, which should be easy enough. I think that would be great, because she's not an establishment politician either. I would love to make professional pols aiming for the White House to be disillusioned as Oprah steals their thunder and takes the nomination.

Drlee wrote:Another nightmare scenario for Republicans would be if she ran for Corker's seat in Tennessee.

She would probably lose there. If she could get Feinstein to retire, she could get California's senate seat and hold it reliably. My guess is that she doesn't want to be a senator.

Drlee wrote:I am seeing very little condemnation of her political views here though.

Well, she hasn't revealed a stance on anything. So what's the dead giveaway?
Oprah Beats Trump In NPR Poll, But Most Americans Don't Want Her To Run For President
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/12/57745698 ... for-presid

Americans love Oprah Winfrey — they just don't necessarily want her to run for president.

In a head-to-head matchup with President Trump, Winfrey would win 50 to 39 percent, according to a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll.

But when asked if they want Winfrey to run for president, a majority (54 percent) said they don't want her to do so, with 35 percent saying they do want her to run.

Yet, your analysis is making the same mistake you made in 2016.

Ahem. Do you recall that I not only called the election I hit the electoral college count right on the money. Want me to research my posts and give you a link?

But when asked if they want Winfrey to run for president, a majority (54 percent) said they don't want her to do so, with 35 percent saying they do want her to run.

Consider what you just posted. At this point, three years before the election there was not a single candidate who could grab 35% number. Maybe Hillary. Maybe Bernie. But Trump was not even a blip on the radar and Jeb Bush was a shoo-in for the Republican nomination.
Drlee wrote:Ahem. Do you recall that I not only called the election I hit the electoral college count right on the money. Want me to research my posts and give you a link?

Consider what you just posted. At this point, three years before the election there was not a single candidate who could grab 35% number. Maybe Hillary. Maybe Bernie. But Trump was not even a blip on the radar and Jeb Bush was a shoo-in for the Republican nomination.

Yes can you, I'm sure you did, but I would like to be reminded anyway. Obviously I called the line result, and I thought a landslide too but didn't call exact number.

Because that LA Times Poll I knew it was right on the money again.
Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

This doesn't make sense, though you have managed […]

Then the protesters are merely criticizing the po[…]

You're funny. https://www.amazon.co[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Israeli government could have simply told UNRW[…]