Gunman in shooting spree at California school. Multiple injuries. ...What is wrong in the USA? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hindsite wrote:As I said before, a gun with no ammo is safer than a knife.
A gun does not load itself. It takes a person to do that.
So a person is responsible for any killing using a gun.
The gun is innocent.
A load of bullshit by a person who loves a gun more than the lives of children. Who owns a gun without ammunition? Pray tell! Guns don't kill people... people WITH guns kill people. Stupidity. Utter stupidity!

Guns innnocent? A gun is a deadly tool made for one thing: to kill. Stop with the delusions.

Hindsite wrote:However, a gun is often introduced by police to de-escalate a confrontation and prevent death.
Guns NEVER de-escalate a confrontation! Where do you get this idiocy from?

Mere sight of a gun makes police – and public – more aggressive, experts say
A large body of psychological research on the ‘weapons effect’ may help explain the often violent interactions between police and the policed

“Weapons increase all of those aggressive thoughts, feelings, hostile appraisals and the type of thinking that somebody’s out to get you, or wants to hurt you,” Bushman said.

Aggressive impulses can sometimes be strong enough to override common sense, studies have found. Confronted with a pickup truck driver who had stalled at a green light, drivers in one 2006 study were more likely to honk at the pickup with a rifle than they were at the pickup without a rifle. The study developed a similar 1975 experiment that also included a bumper sticker reading “vengeance”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ons-effect
Godstud wrote:A load of bullshit by a person who loves a gun more than the lives of children. Who owns a gun without ammunition? Pray tell! Guns don't kill people... people WITH guns kill people. Stupidity. Utter stupidity!

Guns innnocent? A gun is a deadly tool made for one thing: to kill. Stop with the delusions.

Guns NEVER de-escalate a confrontation! Where do you get this idiocy from?

Mere sight of a gun makes police – and public – more aggressive, experts say
A large body of psychological research on the ‘weapons effect’ may help explain the often violent interactions between police and the policed

“Weapons increase all of those aggressive thoughts, feelings, hostile appraisals and the type of thinking that somebody’s out to get you, or wants to hurt you,” Bushman said.

Aggressive impulses can sometimes be strong enough to override common sense, studies have found. Confronted with a pickup truck driver who had stalled at a green light, drivers in one 2006 study were more likely to honk at the pickup with a rifle than they were at the pickup without a rifle. The study developed a similar 1975 experiment that also included a bumper sticker reading “vengeance”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ons-effect

The Guardian readership is generally on the mainstream left of British political opinion. The newspaper's reputation as a platform for liberal and left-wing editorial has led to the use of the "Guardian reader" and "Guardianista" as often (but not always) pejorative epithets for those of left-leaning or politically correct tendencies.
Do you have a study showing otherwise, or are you just all talk? Facts are facts. You attacking the source is childish, at best.

The "weapons effect"
Research shows that the mere presence of weapons increases aggression.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ge ... ons-effect
Godstud wrote:Do you have a study showing otherwise, or are you just all talk? Facts are facts. You attacking the source is childish, at best.

The "weapons effect"
Research shows that the mere presence of weapons increases aggression.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ge ... ons-effect

You can't trust psychologist to know what the fuck they are talking about.
They are almost as crazy as those they study.
So you are, once again, thinking your opinion counts for something. it does not. You are talking out of your ass.

Fuck your opinion. It's bullshit and nonsense. It has a very poor, and invalid, source.
Godstud wrote:So you are, once again, thinking your opinion counts for something. it does not. You are talking out of your ass.

Fuck your opinion. It's bullshit and nonsense. It has a very poor, and invalid, source.

My opinion counts as much as your opinion.
One thing that seems to be wrong with the USA is that we are morphing into a heavily armed hate filled society permeated by fear. Flavor this with a growing trend toward obesity and stupidity and you have the 21st century USA. The fires of this reality are fanned by divide and conquer politicians such as Donald in an effort to promote themselves.

Here is an extreme antidotal example of the mutants we are breeding in America today.

Adam Purinton

Witnesses said the suspect, Adam Purinton, yelled, “Get out of my country” before firing the shots that killed the engineer, Srinivas Kuchibhotla, and wounded two others.
One of America's Navy Veterans said it right:

"I do think that we are as a society much more prone to enjoying our rights than we are exercising our responsibilities." - Adam Weinstein

This Navy Veteran Says The Way Americans Talk About Guns Is Broken
http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/03/ ... t=20180306
Godstud wrote:One of America's Navy Veterans said it right:

"I do think that we are as a society much more prone to enjoying our rights than we are exercising our responsibilities." - Adam Weinstein

This Navy Veteran Says The Way Americans Talk About Guns Is Broken
http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/03/ ... t=20180306

Do you think that if the constitution had a list of responsibilities in it; they would be followed by those who embrace it so completely?

The reason I ask is that Washington spoke of the “baneful effects” of political parties in his farewell address. Though it isn’t in the Constitution, certainly the man himself holds great respect and was one of the central figures at the convention… That doesn’t seem to stop these jugheads from willfully embracing their Parties.
jimjam wrote:One thing that seems to be wrong with the USA is that we are morphing into a heavily armed hate filled society permeated by fear. Flavor this with a growing trend toward obesity and stupidity and you have the 21st century USA. The fires of this reality are fanned by divide and conquer politicians such as Donald in an effort to promote themselves.

Here is an extreme antidotal example of the mutants we are breeding in America today.

Adam Purinton

Witnesses said the suspect, Adam Purinton, yelled, “Get out of my country” before firing the shots that killed the engineer, Srinivas Kuchibhotla, and wounded two others.

Hate filled is so right!

Its easy to blame lawyers since they are the ones serving the steak but we have turned into a bunch of litigious bitches. There is no such thing as an honest mistake any longer and the promise of an easy payday rules all decisions it seems.
jimjam wrote:One thing that seems to be wrong with the USA is that we are morphing into a heavily armed hate filled society permeated by fear.

There is a lot of hate indeed!

Missouri man, who once threatened to 'kill all white people,' is indicted in 2nd set of 3 killings

A Missouri man who once threatened to “kill all white people” was indicted Friday in the killings of three white males, and is now accused in six killings overall.

The accused, Fredrick Demond Scott, 23, was indicted by a grand jury in the deaths of David Lenox, 67, Timothy Rice, 57, and Michael Darby, 61.

Scott was also charged last summer in the deaths of Steven, Gibbons, 57, John Palmer, 54 and Karen Harmeyer, 64.

The five male victims were all shot as they walked on or near the trails or, in one case, walked home after getting off a bus. The female victim was homeless, and her decomposing body was found in a tent in woods in Grandview. She also was shot, police said.

The police say they do not know if the shootings were racially motivated.

However, Scott, a black man, threatened to shoot up a school and “kill all white people” in January 2014, The Kansas City Star reported, citing court documents.

Scott’s mother has said that her son suffers from schizophrenia.

With the latest indictments, Scott faces six counts of first-degree murder and six counts of armed criminal action in a string of killings that began in August 2016. The last killing currently linked to Scott occurred Aug. 13, 2017.

He pleaded not guilty in the initial three cases.

jimjam wrote:There was an incident early on in his campaign where a man had charged the stage where he was speaking. Of course the Secret Service were all over it before anything happened. But I noticed Trump's body language when he thought he was in danger. He grabbed one of the agents and put that agent's body in front of his. Has anyone else noted that I wonder?

I saw that incident and what you claim Trump did never happened. The agent actually jumped between Trump and the attacker. Trump never grabbed anyone to put between him and the attacker because his back was turned to the attacker and the Secret Service agents jumped in to stop the attacker before Trump knew what was happening.

maz wrote:There is a lot of hate indeed!

Missouri man, who once threatened to 'kill all white people,' is indicted in 2nd set of 3 killings

I'm not sure what this has to do with my observation that America has morphed into a heavily armed nation awash with hatred, fear, obesity and stupidity. It wasn't always thus. I am old enough to recall a time when fearful people were not cloistering themselves behind locked doors fondling their guns afraid to walk the streets after dark. Obesity and stupidity? I am boggled by a simple trip to the supermarket where it seems that more than half the shoppers are sporting big to enormous bellies and dumb looks.( A troubling new report released Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that almost 40 percent of American adults and nearly 20 percent of adolescents are obese — the highest rates ever recorded for the U.S.)
Here, folks, is today's school shooting.

Huffman High School shooting: Courtlin Arrington killed; 17-year-old boy injured, questioned

Apparently a boy was possibly showing off a gun, and shot and killed a girl, possibly by accident, before possibly accidentally shooting himself, possibly while putting the gun away.

This happened in Birmingham, Alabama.

The article says the boy was questioned at police headquarters; it doesn't say that he was 'arrested' or anything.

So, there you have it, today's school shooting; just in case anyone was still paying attention.
Hindsite wrote:I saw that incident and what you claim Trump did never happened. The agent actually jumped between Trump and the attacker. Trump never grabbed anyone to put between him and the attacker because his back was turned to the attacker and the Secret Service agents jumped in to stop the attacker before Trump knew what was happening.

You are right Hindsite and I was wrong. I went on hearsay and failed to do due diligence. Now, I want you to fess up next time you are wrong, it has a liberating effect. I know you and Donald like to project a manly image of never ever being wrong but this is nonsense and only makes you look foolish. Owning up to mistakes is strength while passing the buck is weakness .... simple.
jimjam wrote:You are right Hindsite and I was wrong. I went on hearsay and failed to do due diligence. Now, I want you to fess up next time you are wrong, it has a liberating effect. I know you and Donald like to project a manly image of never ever being wrong but this is nonsense and only makes you look foolish. Owning up to mistakes is strength while passing the buck is weakness .... simple.

I never claimed to never be wrong.
I just said I am right most of the time.
Praise the Lord.
Godstud wrote:My opinion is supported by studies and facts. Yours is not. Yours is illogical and supported by bigotry.

I'm not sure if either pro-gun or anti-gun positions can be justified based on "facts."

I think it's more of a philosophical question like one of the following:

Do you think that people should live in suburban isolation and be forced to compete with each other in a rat race that denies them a normal social life and daily routine?

Do you think that various tribes should be competing for control of propaganda and usury?

Do you believe that humans are unworthy of dignity unless they can kill for it?

Do you think that humans are locked in a race for "superior status" to the death?
Hindsite wrote:What is wrong in the USA?

It has become a safe haven for left-wing nutjobs.

Which is totally why every branch of government is occupied by Republicans.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Then why do Mexicans keep going to USA? IIRC, […]

@Pants-of-dog If you put it to a vote, you'd fin[…]

Are you hoping I want aids? No, I want you to b[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]