Trump's Dumb Economics - Page 21 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Stormsmith wrote:Your farmers will suffer first, and maybe worst from a shortage of pickers. CA will also suffer from drought. Climate change is one Don One' side because he's mucking about with it. Tariffs wont help, either. My sympathies.

He told them at the VFA meeting that they just have to suffer a little longer before the tariff payoffs finally kick in. Also, he's going to give them billions in subsidies (he won't, the GOP Suicide Caucus would never approve such spending).

Turns out enacting tariffs while subsidizing your own industries violates WTO agree,emts. Which are meaningless, but give other countries a great excuse to enact retaliatory tariffs and take the high ground for following international trade agreements.

But Trump and the GOP are following through on their promise to bankrupt and kill all of their supporters, lmfao.
Stormsmith wrote:Ironically, the average American was unaware of these issues

Is the American president aware of trade and economic issues more than the average citizen? Maybe not and that may have been one of the reasons he got elected, actually. Many voters meant to elect someone so ignorant as themselves because it would be like they're all presidents themselves then, which they may consider the quint-essence of democracy. So maybe if I said he should be expected to know better, I would be confronted.
Dems now concerned about farmers who are the very basis of your deplorables comments? The hypocrisy just never stops. When are you going to start seeing real people instead of imaginary groups?
I'm actually very happy for the farmers. Trump delivered on his promise to fuck them over economically. They got exactly what they voted for, good for them!
Just imagine how cheap food would be if soybean farmers planted vegetables and animal feed or raised livestock? :)
I do not understand your failed attempt to communicate. However, food is actually going to be pretty cheap soon since farmers are having difficulty exporting it.
SpecialOlympian wrote:I do not understand your failed attempt to communicate. However, food is actually going to be pretty cheap soon since farmers are having difficulty exporting it.

One of only 5 countries in the world producing a consistent food surplus and you think finding markets will be a problem? Lmao.
It's already happening, 1°.

From Fortune

According to a new report by the Wall Street Journal, more than 2.5 billion pounds of U.S. beef, pork, and poultry are currently in cold storage, waiting for buyers. One analyst told the Journal that those stockpiles, combined with modest U.S. demand growth and serious uncertainty surrounding export conditions, could lead to “one of the biggest corrections we’ve seen in the industry in several years.”

Some meat packers are canceling investment and expansion plans in the U.S., while others are reportedly scaling back production. Storage facilities, meanwhile, are reportedly running out of room to store the near-record amounts of excess meat.

Part of the glut is thanks to long-term overproduction caused by declining feed costs. U.S. meat production has been rising steadily for nearly a decade, and will reach a record 102.7 billion pounds this year, according to USDA projections.

But the best prospect for selling all that meat—exporting it—has hit a snag courtesy of President Donald Trump. Trump’s trade war has driven up tariffs on U.S. meat in major foreign markets including Mexico, China, and Canada. China imposed a 25% tariff on American pork in April, and raised it to a staggering 62% this month. According to the Journal, prices for pork products have increased sharply there, and exports from the U.S. declined by 18% in the first half of 2018. The largest market for U.S. pork, Mexico, doubled its pork tariff to 20% on June 5.

One hog farming operation in Carlyle, Ill. told the Journal it was cancelling $30 million worth of domestic investment, and considering setting up new operations in Eastern Europe or South America to avoid trade uncertainty. Many of America’s meat production and processing hotbeds are in states Trump carried in the 2016 election, including Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, and Arkansas. That’s not coincidental—China has specifically targeted industries in conservative states as a way to drive a wedge between groups in the U.S.

Canada, meanwhile, implemented a 10% retaliatory tariff on some U.S. beef starting July 1, and China raised its tariff on U.S. beef to 37% on July 6. China is not a major export market for U.S. beef, which was banned there for more than a decade, but the tariffs appear poised to throttle rapidly growing demand. The U.S. Meat Export Federation had projected that U.S. beef exports to China, which only resumed in June of last year, could have reached $400 million over the next four years.

Trump: "I will bankrupt you all and kill your children."

*Trump supporters erupt into wild applause*
SpecialOlympian wrote:It's already happening, 1°.

From Fortune

Trump: "I will bankrupt you all and kill your children."

*Trump supporters erupt into wild applause*

So, now you are concerned about large corporate farming? If this article is true, then why are meat prices so high and quality so bad? Maybe they need some serious shake up. My guess is all that storage is to keep prices up. I would gladly eat some of those steaks if I could afford them. :)
*Trump supporters get repeatedly owned by their president, causing everyone to laugh at them because they got exactly what they voted for*

1°: Oh, and now you care!? What hypocrites?
SpecialOlympian wrote:*Trump supporters get repeatedly owned by their president, causing everyone to laugh at them because they got exactly what they voted for*

1°: Oh, and now you care!? What hypocrites?

Are you referring to my social security increase that was double all 8 years of Obama? Or are you referring to all the tax savings people will get this year? Or the increased pay from immigration enforcement? Or the record unemployment? Yes, we are lamenting Trump all the way to the bank. :)
One Degree wrote:Are you referring to my social security increase that was double all 8 years of Obama? Or are you referring to all the tax savings people will get this year? Or the increased pay from immigration enforcement? Or the record unemployment? Yes, we are lamenting Trump all the way to the bank. :)

-A man who one day aspires to buy surplus steak
SpecialOlympian wrote:-A man who one day aspires to buy surplus steak

Yes!
One Degree wrote:One of only 5 countries in the world producing a consistent food surplus and you think finding markets will be a problem? Lmao.

You're missing the point. Fewer countries are buying US exports. That's why soy beans are down 20%. They'll be cheap for you to buy because they were supposed to go to China, but China is buying them instead from Brazil. US farmers have sell them in the US, and soooo, they're on sale, cheap.
Stormsmith wrote:You're missing the point. Fewer countries are buying US exports. That's why soy beans are down 20%. They'll be cheap for you to buy because they were supposed to go to China, but China is buying them instead from Brazil. US farmers have sell them in the US, and soooo, they're on sale, cheap.

China had already started buying from Brazil because the US quality went down. Most of our farmground is being abused for growing non food crops. We grow feed and fuel for large corporations. I don’t mind preserving our land for our own food. However, American farming will do just fine because the rest of the world needs our products. You won’t hear another word about it after the elections.
The growing Federal deficit has forced the Trump administration to adjust its claim that the tax cuts would pay for themselves by generating increased revenue from faster economic growth. :lol: The White House’s Office of Management and Budget said this month that it had revised its forecasts from earlier this year to account for nearly $1 trillion of additional debt over the next decade — almost $100 billion a year in additional deficits, on average.

Well I am just shocked. The corporate tax cuts are not paying for themselves, the increased profit to companies is being funneled primarily to the equity holders and our deficit is approaching one trillion dollars. To compound the problem the administration is issuing new welfare checks to farmers who have been blindsided with new foreign tariffs triggered by the bumbler in chief's own trade tariff policies. I guess the lesson here is that if you are going to give a child or childlike person something to play with, it probably shouldn't be the U.S. economy.
Last edited by jimjam on 26 Jul 2018 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
One Degree wrote:China had already started buying from Brazil because the US quality went down. Most of our farmground is being abused for growing non food crops. We grow feed and fuel for large corporations. I don’t mind preserving our land for our own food. However, American farming will do just fine because the rest of the world needs our products. You won’t hear another word about it after the elections.

All the countries that Trump attacked with tariffs are or have placed tariffs on you. Enjoy the low prices whitest they last, but say a prayer for your growers
Stormsmith wrote:All the countries that Trump attacked with tariffs are or have placed tariffs on you. Enjoy the low prices whitest they last, but say a prayer for your growers

Like I said, I am not concerned for the farmers in a world of too many people. The demand is not going away for food.
By jimjam
The most important thing in Donald's life is money …… grabbing pussies at random appears to be a distant second. Making America great again seems to include an abolishment of any and all impediments to corporate America's ability to maximize profits at all costs. The job that Donald's boy Pruit has done to destroy the EPA is example #1 of Donald's measure of "greatness" being equated to money. The most recent target of corporate America appears to be so called "endangered species". So various species fall by the wayside in the ever onrushing quest of greed for money. Tough shit for them. So …………. jimjam posits on the exceedingly appropriate and ironic possibility that the very symbol of American greatness, the bald Eagle, may become extinct under Donald's maxim of "Greed is Greatness". :eek:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This war is going to drag on for probably another[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]