Spygate and the Trump Campaign. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
"Spygate" appears to be the descriptor that the media has settled upon.

After years of saying that the Trump campaign wasn't surveiled, we slowly but surely made our way to not only was the campaign wiretapped, there was also "at least one" highly paid informant physically associated with the Trump campaign. The man's name is Stephen A. Halper and interestingly, he was accessed of infiltrating and spying on Jimmy Carter's campaign in the 80's. So they appear to have chosen someone with experience in this area.

Halper met repeatedly with Trump campaign figures such as Carter Page, at least once with Sam Clovis and was in contact with Papadopoulos. It'll be interesting to see if and how this plugs into other issues, such as how the Democrat's opposition research was used to justify further espionage; did Halper's presence get used to further justify anything else? Were there more physical agents being used or just him?

Meanwhile, a recent Reuters poll gave Republicans the lead in the upcoming midterm elections. This is interesting if you consider that Republicans have been outperforming polls since around 2010 when the Tea Party first appeared.
Hong Wu wrote:Meanwhile, a recent Reuters poll gave Republicans the lead in the upcoming midterm elections. This is interesting if you consider that Republicans have been outperforming polls since around 2010 when the Tea Party first appeared.

Progressives should vote republican this midterm. We need the deep state exposed, we need the deep state actors prosecuted, we need the establishment's collusion narrative completely discredited, and we need to strongly repudiate the establishment dems and send a firm message to its mcliberal faction that their radical center, corporatist politics are no longer viable. If the dems take back congress none of that will happen and it will effectively kill any chance of a progressive candidate winning the nomination for 2020.
Hong Wu wrote:@Sivad let's not expect too much but it is true that the Bernie Bros will never see their moment while the Dem establishment is in power because those people don't play fair.

Progressives aren't exactly deep political strategists but this one's a no-brainer. Progressives should vote for all of the Justice Democrats or Brand New Congress candidates running in their districts, but if the race is between a republican and an establishment dem, vote for the republican.
I voted for Clinton on the premise that the neoliberal rot of the Obama administration gave rise to the Bernie phenomenon, so 4 years of Clinton would ultimately prove catastrophic for the dem establishment and give the progressive movement a tremendous shot in the arm, but I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out. Trump has been a godsend, fuck taking down just the dem establishment, this spygate debacle could take down the dem establishment and the deep state. It's freaking beautiful.
Some recent theories:

If they had an informant to protect Trump from Russia, why the collusion investigation? Shouldn't they already have the investigation part completed?

This has led some people to suspect that the FBI was engaged in an entrapment operation, which is highly illegal, trying to entice Trump officials into crimes or to create evidence of possible crimes.
Hong Wu wrote:"Spygate" appears to be the descriptor that the media has settled upon.

It's their traditional laziness since the Watergate era, but I think that whole era is blowing up now. Since Nixon, they have had a special counsel for Reagan, Bush I, Clinton and Bush II. Ford, Carter and Obama escaped--the latter by establishment design, including the design of fuckwits like Mitch McConnell. However, it looks like the corruption and hubris of the deep state is finally going to see them explode.

I remember back in the Bush years, just before I left the Republican party, I mused that the only way the media could be coming so consistently to a set of conclusions was that they had to have been paid off; or alternatively, that they were all essentially spies. It's becoming so transparent now, that there is almost no point in them gaslighting anymore. They are more of a self-parody than they realize.

Hong Wu wrote:After years of saying that the Trump campaign wasn't surveiled, we slowly but surely made our way to not only was the campaign wiretapped, there was also "at least one" highly paid informant physically associated with the Trump campaign.

I mused about joining the campaign at one point, but the issue for me is that the only thing I could really add was advice on operational security and I figured they'd have some of that covered. In California, the outcome is a fait accompli--it's a one-party state like North Korea. Clearly, I was wrong about Trump having solid OPSEC. I would have only focused on it from an IT perspective anyway. I once did a web page for Willie Louis Brown when he ran for mayor of San Francisco. It was amazing to me how quickly the media knew my phone number. I was never a campaign rat, but it's now clear to me that the whole thing is espionage and subterfuge. The only reason I was trusted in Democratic circles is that I had some close friendships with Democrats I knew from school, and it was before liberals knew how to do anything technical.

Hong Wu wrote:The man's name is Stephen A. Halper and interestingly, he was accessed of infiltrating and spying on Jimmy Carter's campaign in the 80's. So they appear to have chosen someone with experience in this area.

An establishment man to the core... The result of that one was funny, as they picked up on one of Jimmy Carter's debate questions. It as something to the effect of, "Ronny, how come every time I see you riding a horse, you look younger." Reagan's canned, but seemingly off-the-cuff reply was, "Jimmy, I just keep riding older horses."

Hong Wu wrote:Halper met repeatedly with Trump campaign figures such as Carter Page, at least once with Sam Clovis and was in contact with Papadopoulos.

The amazing thing about this is that they could have just shut it down when the house got Fusion GPS banking records. Their willfulness is going to bite them in the ass in ways they never imagined possible. If they think Trump winning is their worst nightmare, the worst is yet to come.

Hong Wu wrote:It'll be interesting to see if and how this plugs into other issues, such as how the Democrat's opposition research was used to justify further espionage; did Halper's presence get used to further justify anything else?

Well, what's interesting is that it shows that the FBI's stated timeline is a lie too. They started before Papadopolous. Yet, they have no compelling legal reason to have done so and it predates Trumps quips about Russia and Hillary's emails--which were also completely innocuous. The gaslighting was all to put pressure on judges to sign of on FISA warrants. So it's very likely that Schumer et. al. were in on this too.

Hong Wu wrote:Meanwhile, a recent Reuters poll gave Republicans the lead in the upcoming midterm elections. This is interesting if you consider that Republicans have been outperforming polls since around 2010 when the Tea Party first appeared.

Those are the last week of the election. The Democrats typically poll +5 when they are breaking even. That's the media's typical psyops play to try to sway people who want to be on the winning side. When the Republicans are up, they usually gain seats.

Sivad wrote:We need the deep state exposed, we need the deep state actors prosecuted, we need the establishment's collusion narrative completely discredited, and we need to strongly repudiate the establishment dems and send a firm message to its mcliberal faction that their radical center, corporatist politics are no longer viable.

Yes, but that has to cross party lines too. People like John McCain are just as guilty as the Democrats.

Sivad wrote:Trump has been a godsend, fuck taking down just the dem establishment, this spygate debacle could take down the dem establishment and the deep state. It's freaking beautiful.

It really is...

Hong Wu wrote:If they had an informant to protect Trump from Russia, why the collusion investigation? Shouldn't they already have the investigation part completed?

They never thought they'd be caught.
It was a political scandal of unprecedented proportions: the deliberate, systematic, and illegal misuse of the FBI and the CIA by the White House in a presidential campaign. The massive black-bag operations, bordering on the unconstitutional and therefore calling for impeachment, were personally approved by the president. They included planting a CIA spy in his opponent's campaign committee, wiretaps on his opponent's top political aides, illegal FBI checks, and the bugging of his opponent's campaign airplane.

The president? Lyndon B. Johnson. The target? Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona, the 1964 Republican presidential candidate.

https://www.heritage.org/commentary/lyndon-johnsons-watergate
An operation to collect inside information on Carter Administration foreign policy was run in Ronald Reagan's campaign headquarters in the 1980 Presidential campaign, according to present and former Reagan Administration officials.

Those sources said they did not know exactly what information the operation produced or whether it was anything beyond the usual grab bag of rumors and published news reports. But they said it involved a number of retired Central Intelligence Agency officials and was highly secretive.

The sources identified Stefan A. Halper, a campaign aide involved in providing 24-hour news updates and policy ideas to the traveling Reagan party, as the person in charge. Mr. Halper, until recently deputy director of the State Department's Bureau of Politico-Military Affairs

Speaking of Mr. Halper, David Prosperi, a Reagan campaign aide, now with the Superior Oil Company, said, ''He provided us with wire stories and Carter speeches, but people talked about his having a network that was keeping track of things inside the Government, mostly in relation to the October surprise.''

A source from the Reagan campaign who asked not to be named said, ''There was some C.I.A. stuff coming from Halper, and some agency guys were hired.''

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/07/07/us/r ... arter.html

Russell D. Tice (born 1961) is a former intelligence analyst for the United States Air Force, Office of Naval Intelligence, Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), and National Security Agency (NSA). During his nearly 20-year career with various United States government agencies, he conducted intelligence missions related to the Kosovo War, Afghanistan, the USS Cole bombing in Yemen, and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Tice was transferred from the Defense Intelligence Agency to the National Security Agency in 2002.
I think it was Yuri Andropov (head of KGB during Brezhnev years) who said something among these lines: "When conducting an investigation it is important not to come upon ourselves".
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... lem-during

Trump: If FBI spy was there after Russians and not us, why didn't they tell us what Russia was trying to do?

I'm not sure what the answer to that is supposed to be but it's a pretty strong question, perhaps even stronger than the "why is there an investigation if they already had an informant" question.
On another comment board there was someone insisting that Halper wasn’t a spy, he was an informant. When I asked how a spy differed from an informant, they stopped responding.
Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani said on Sunday that his repeated imputations of a supposed scandal at the heart of the Robert Mueller investigation – which Donald Trump calls “Spygate” – amounted to a tactic to sway public opinion and limit the risk of the president being impeached.

“Of course we have to do it to defend the president,” Trump’s lawyer told CNN State of the Union host Dana Bash, who accused him of being part of a campaign to undermine the Mueller investigation. Trump has repeatedly called the special counsel’s work a “witch hunt”, despite its producing five guilty pleas, including by three former Trump aides, and evidence of Russian tampering in US elections.

“It is for public opinion,” Giuliani said of his public campaign of dissimulation. “Because eventually the decision here is going to be impeach or not impeach. Members of Congress, Democrats and Republicans, are going to be informed a lot by their constituents. And so our jury – and it should be – is the American people.

Rudy Giuliani admits 'Spygate' is Trump PR tactic against Robert Mueller.

:|

The only people creating an unsafe situation on c[…]

how 'the mismeasure of man' was totally refuted.[…]

I saw this long opinion article from The Telegraph[…]

It very much is, since it's why there's a war in t[…]