Racial Opression in Modern America - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I'm of the opinion that "Racism" as a state sponsored reality is dead. What we are left with are it's residual traditions and mythology. These continue to oppress minorities here in the USA as they slowly fade. They inspire "revival" attempts that concentrate groups in support of a return to racism. They also inspire random incidents by confused individuals. Donald Trumps leadership has raised hopes and fears of renewal of old racial repression.

It's my hope that this thread will bring to light the extent and development of current Racial Oppression, in both large and small incidents. This is not a thread for manifestos and hate speech. I hope it helps us all to understand other viewpoints.

To that end, I begin with a bizarre tale that is still (AFAIK) unresolved:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/25/neo-nazi-rally-california-stabbing-police-target-black-activist
Stabbed at a neo-Nazi rally, called a criminal: how police targeted a black activist

Exclusive: records show police surveilled and tried to charge a citizen journalist attacked at a California rally. Does it fit a pattern of punishing black protesters?

"Cedric O’Bannon tried to ignore the sharp pain in his side and continue filming. The independent journalist, who was documenting a white supremacist rally in Sacramento, said he wanted to capture the neo-Nazi violence against counter-protesters with his GoPro camera.

But the pain soon became overwhelming. He lifted up his blood-soaked shirt and realized that one of the men carrying a pole with a blade on the end of it had stabbed him in the stomach, puncturing him nearly two inches deep. He limped his way to an ambulance.

But the police did not treat O’Bannon like a victim. Records obtained by the Guardian reveal that officers instead monitored his Facebook page and sought to bring six charges against him, including conspiracy, rioting, assault and unlawful assembly. His presence at the protest – along with his use of the black power fist and “social media posts expressing his ideals” – were proof that he had violated the rights of neo-Nazis at the 26 June 2016 protests, police wrote in a report."
(See the URL for full details)

This seems to me to be a prima-facia case of police racism and support for white supremacy. Read the rest of the story and tell me what you think.

Zam :hmm:
You are inciting racism. The US is a very big place with a whole lot of people. This allows you to find examples of any position you want to support.
Cultural change does not happen in a lifetime. You establish laws to demonstrate the direction you want the culture to go and then allow people to adjust. We have done this. The only problem remaining is from those who believe everyone should magically change now.
The changes in my lifetime and since the civil war should be celebrated as being rapid, not decried as being too slow. Your above example should not mention the race of anyone involved. Only by eliminating it as a factor can we move on from it.
One Degree wrote:Your above example should not mention the race of anyone involved. Only by eliminating it as a factor can we move on from it.

Ignoring the existence of Racial Oppression is not a function of eliminating it. Neither is ignoring the rats nibbling on your toes likely to help with your limp.

Zam ;)
Last edited by Zamuel on 26 May 2018 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Zamuel wrote:Ignoring the existence of Racial Oppression is not a function of eliminating it. Neither is ignoring the rats nibbling on you toes likely to help with your limp.

Zam ;)

You admitted yourself it has been eliminated as a society. Do you really think bringing up every wrong as a racial wrong will speed up individuals changing? We have clear evidence it has the opposite effect now. The more you bring it up, the more divisive we become. This is deliberate DNC propaganda for votes at the expense of the people they supposedly represent.
We have taken the steps that can be taken. To continue to complain about something we have corrected as a society serves no purpose except to divide. The biggest obstacle remaining is minorities believing the media propaganda about racism still invisibly existing. Why should you care if some people, of all races, are still racist if it has no effect on you getting a job and living your life as you please?
Protesting because some racists still exist “invisibly” is stupid and self defeating.
One Degree wrote:Protesting because some racists still exist “invisibly” is stupid and self defeating.

Protesting? I'm not protesting, Maybe the Black Jornalist mentioned in the above report is. Maybe the Muslim students in the following report are … Good for them !

Man Faces Charges After Pulling Knife, Stun Gun On Muslim Students At McDonald’s “We thought we were going to die,” one of the students said. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/man-knife-stun-gun-muslim-students_us_5b084cece4b0802d69cb1ba8

By Jenna Amatulli

A man is facing criminal charges after threatening Muslim students with a knife and stun gun this week while they were eating outside a McDonald’s in St. Augustine, Florida.

John Jay Smith, 60, is facing two third-degree felony charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a first-degree felony charge of burglary with assault or battery and a third-degree felony charge of trespassing, according to a police report.

Officers arrested Smith at the McDonald’s on Wednesday at 2:30 a.m. after he used a switchblade-style knife to threaten the students - “Get the f**k out of here, you don’t deserve American food,” Smith reportedly said.
(see URL for more details)

Zam :eh:
Wasn't this the event where other people very similar to this guy attacked the demonstrators? It's always possible that in this individual case they made a mistake but the event overall was one of those flash in the pan things where the evidence was overwhelming against the AntiFA types.
Racial oppression is still state sponsored if you look at the discrepancies between the arrests between whites and blacks. In sociology class they say that the worst criminal offenders were young white men and yet most of the men arrested are black.

I found an article from this year about arrests over marijuna for example.

Both black and white people are much less likely to be arrested over marijuana, but black people are still much more likely to be arrested for pot in comparison to white people.

Alaska legalized marijuana in 2014, although it did not start sales until 2016. In the state, white and black arrest rates fell by nearly 99 percent and more than 93 percent, respectively, between 2012 and 2016. But black people were arrested for marijuana at a rate of 17.7 per 100,000 in 2016, while white people were arrested at a rate of 1.8 per 100,000 — about 10 times less.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... es-arrests

It's not the case that white men are less likely to do drugs though. I think the rates for arrests should be about equal since men know that drug dealing is very profitable.
If you want to find an oppressed minority in the US, you need look no further than Asians. When even the Huffington Post admits there’s clear discrimination by elite universities that needs to be addressed, there’s a serious problem: What’s Behind Asian Discrimination in College Admissions?
Suntzu wrote:Yeah, all the FBI statistics are fake. Black men are half the prison population because they commit half the crimes. :lol:

Yeah, go ahead and generalize. I'm not talking about ALL the FBI statistics. It's so easy to generalize, right?

I'm talking about the instances of arrests. When people see black or white faces, who do they think is the most guilty? Will they go after the white baby face or the black face that reminds them of a rough rapper? Hmmm...
MistyTiger wrote:Yeah, go ahead and generalize. I'm not talking about ALL the FBI statistics. It's so easy to generalize, right?

I'm talking about the instances of arrests. When people see black or white faces, who do they think is the most guilty? Will they go after the white baby face or the black face that reminds them of a rough rapper? Hmmm...

Maybe that is because everyday, when I check the local news, I see video surveillance of a Black person committing a crime. This is a real problem that will not go away by saying it is not true.
Zamuel wrote:I'm of the opinion that "Racism" as a state sponsored reality is dead. What we are left with are it's residual traditions and mythology. These continue to oppress minorities here in the USA as they slowly fade. They inspire "revival" attempts that concentrate groups in support of a return to racism. They also inspire random incidents by confused individuals. Donald Trumps leadership has raised hopes and fears of renewal of old racial repression.

It's my hope that this thread will bring to light the extent and development of current Racial Oppression, in both large and small incidents. This is not a thread for manifestos and hate speech. I hope it helps us all to understand other viewpoints.

To that end, I begin with a bizarre tale that is still (AFAIK) unresolved:

This seems to me to be a prima-facia case of police racism and support for white supremacy. Read the rest of the story and tell me what you think.

Zam :hmm:

There's no systematic racial oppression of blacks and there is no white supremacy in America.

There are blacks who complain about racism when they get caught by police doing bad things and then there are white people in America who are against black's criminal behavior and otherwise anti-social behavior.
maz wrote:There's no systematic racial oppression of blacks and there is no white supremacy in America.

Yeah, and it was the Jews own fault too, wasn't it !

Zam :smokin:
One Degree wrote:Maybe that is because everyday, when I check the local news, I see video surveillance of a Black person committing a crime. This is a real problem that will not go away by saying it is not true.

People have the ability to think and use reason, right? This is why we get educated so that we can think for ourselves and come up with our own opinions -- to look beyond appearances. Sadly, too few people understand this concept. Too many people let themselves be misled by other people.
MistyTiger wrote:Racial oppression is still state sponsored if you look at the discrepancies between the arrests between whites and blacks. In sociology class they say that the worst criminal offenders were young white men and yet most of the men arrested are black.

I found an article from this year about arrests over marijuna for example.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... es-arrests

The graph in your article leaves out Hispanics. Why is that?
On Race: The Moral High Ground - Charles M. Blow - May 31, 2018
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/opinion/roseanne-valerie-jarrett-race-trump.html?

"Although it doesn’t hurt my feelings, it does enrage me when racists are granted power in society to allow their idiocy to have a negative impact on other people, whether that be culturally, psychologically and spiritually, or materially and physically.

It enrages me when ignorance is elevated and empowered, when historical truth is eschewed, when current realities are denied
." (See URL for full article)

Here's an interesting perspective.

Charles M. Blow is The New York Times’s visual Op-Ed columnist. His column appears in The Times on Saturday. Mr. Blow graduated magna cum laude from Grambling State University in Louisiana, where he received a B.A. in mass communications. He lives in Brooklyn

Zam 8)
"Charles M. Blow is The New York Times’s visual Op-Ed columnist. His column appears in The Times on Saturday. Mr. Blow graduated magna cum laude from Grambling State University in Louisiana, where he received a B.A. in mass communications. He lives in Brooklyn"

Like coming in first at the Special Olympics! :lol:

Are you hoping I want aids? No, I want you to b[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]

Liberals and centrists even feel comfortable justi[…]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]