Trump Pardons... - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Zamuel
Decky wrote:A royal pardon does not mean the Queen is literally doing it you moron. :lol: Do you think the Queen is planning what planes to Royal Air Force buys? Do you think she is the one planning what the Royal Navy will do if a war breaks out?

I think she's the one signing it … do you disagree ? Who exactly is it you think signs things for the QUEEN … ?

Bulaba Jones wrote: “royal pardon” is the term applied to the pardon itself. It’s apparent that the ruling monarch isn’t the one deciding who gets pardoned.

And who do you suggest signs ROYAL PARDONS then ?

Zam
Last edited by Zamuel on 05 Jun 2018 03:21, edited 1 time in total.
By Decky
Zamuel wrote:I think she's the one signing it … do you disagree ? Who exactly is it you think signs things for the QUEEN … ?

Zam

She signs every single law passed by Parliament Zam. :lol: Do you think the Queen is personally responsible for every law that has been passed in the UK since she has taken the throne? That would make the UK right now today in 2018 the most authoritarian state in the entire history of the world. :lol:
@Zamuel she’s required to sign the pardons. She is not the one deciding who is reviewed, denied, or approved for a pardon. A panel of justices decide that, and literally send a paper to the queen to sign it, the queen having absolutely no say in the matter.
By Zamuel
Decky wrote:She signs every single law passed by Parliament Zam.

We're not talking about parliamentary law, we're talking about ROYAL privilege. Turing was turned down for Pardon several times by the government, despite petitions and legal pleadings. He wasn't pardoned until a "Personal" request from the minister of justice (Grayling) was made to the Queen.
Do you seriously propose she wasn't aware of what she was doing ?

Zam
By Zamuel
Bulaba Jones wrote:@Zamuel she’s required to sign the pardons. She is not the one deciding who is reviewed, denied, or approved for a pardon. A panel of justices decide that, and literally send a paper to the queen to sign it, the queen having absolutely no say in the matter.

Bullshit.

Zam
By Decky
Zamuel wrote:We're not talking about parliamentary law, we're talking about ROYAL privilege. Turing was turned down for Pardon several times by the government, despite petitions and legal pleadings. He wasn't pardoned until a "Personal" request from the minister of justice (Grayling) was made to the Queen.
Do you seriously propose she wasn't aware of what she was doing ?

Zam

So now the truth comes out. The minster for Justice ordered the Queen to sign it and she did what she was told. Finally. :lol:
By Zamuel
Zamuel wrote:Bullshit.

Zam
By Decky
You know she does that exact same thing for every law Parliament passes right? It does mean our laws come from the Queen. They come from our elected representatives in the house of commons and the unelected ones in the house of lords (Lords are picked by the Prime Minister not the Queen by the way as the Queen is politically irrelevant).
By Zamuel
Decky wrote:So now the truth comes out. The minster for Justice ordered the Queen to sign it and she did what she was told. Finally. :lol:

I've heard the English are "pigheaded." Now I see why they say that … A cabinet minister "ordering" the queen. Do tell …

Zam :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Decky
Zamuel wrote:I've heard the English are "pigheaded." Now I see why they say that … A cabinet minister "ordering" the queen. Do tell …

Zam :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is so strange about that? Who do you think decides who we go to war with for example? The Cabinet or the monarch? Do you think we went to war with Iraq because the Queen had got up on the wrong side of bed that day or because Blair and his cabinet wanted us to?

The monarch couldn't even unilaterally go to war in the 1600s let alone today. :lol: One of the causes of the English Civil War was Charles I wanting to change the law so the monarch would be able to get the taxes to go to war without Parliament getting to vote on it (Parliament's vote on war taxation essentially meant they had a veto on any wars the monarch wanted to have).

Why do you insist on thinking that the UK today in 2018 is some kind of absolute monarchy like Tsarist Russia was? It's bizarre. The power that you seem to attribute to the Monarch has never been true for the British Monarch and even going back to before the 1707 act of union formed Britain it is arguable that the English monarchy also never had that kind of power, they were always constrained by someone weather it was Parliament or the nobles (eg King John being forced to sign the Magna Carter by his barons in 1215).
By Zamuel
Decky wrote:Who do you think decides who we go to war with for example?

Generally, that's left to parliament. The Queen (King) does however retain the power to declare war unilaterally. But we're not talking about war, or about the Magna Carta … We're talking about a very specific Royal privilege that remains in the hands of the Monarch.

http://royalcentral.co.uk/blogs/insight/what-are-the-queens-powers-22069 The Queen’s judicial powers are now very minimal, and there is only really one which is used on a regular basis, with others having been delegated to judges and parliament through time.

•Royal Pardon – The Royal Pardon was originally used to retract death sentences against those wrongly convicted. It is now used to correct errors in sentencing and was recently used to give a posthumous pardon to WW2 codebreaker, Alan Turing

Please note, -THIS- power is not one that has been striped from the monarchy and "delegated" to government.

-AND- If you care to look at the list of royal powers you will see that she can dismiss ministers at will … They do not give her orders.

Zam :roll:
By Decky
AND- If you care to look at the list of royal powers you will see that she can dismiss ministers at will … They do not give her orders.

Zam :roll:

The Prime minster chooses the minsters you fool. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Brit ... _reshuffle

Following poor results for the Labour Party in the local elections in England on 4 May 2006, British Prime Minister Tony Blair held a cabinet reshuffle the following day.

The Queen has nothing whatsoever to do with it, just as she has nothing to do with choosing who is pardoned.
By Zamuel
Decky wrote:The Prime minster chooses the minsters you fool. :lol: The Queen has nothing whatsoever to do with it, just as she has nothing to do with choosing who is pardoned.

I guess there are a few brits who need to figure out exactly how their own system works before they worry about the USA. Either that or loose their bolshi fantasies.

Zam
By MistyTiger
blackjack21 wrote:The president is the chief law enforcement officer. He can override the actions of his inferiors any time he wants. There isn't anything feudal about that, unless you think hierarchical authority is a problem (which i'm sure you do).

He is not the only law enforcer...there is Congress and the Courts. His actions are checked by the other 2 branches, checks and balances. He is not the king or a dictator.

Being an idiot isn't a crime, which should bring you some relief. Scooter Libby didn't leak Plame's name to the press. Patrick Fitzgerald knew that before questioning Libby and finding a pretext to prosecute him. That is prosecutorial misconduct. Those types of cases should be reviewed and liberal dispensations granted in the absence of evidence of other suspected wrongdoing.

At one time or another, we all are idiots. I have a thing called humility so I'm sure I can be an idiot at times, you're lucky that we're not related or I would royally piss you off at any moment. :D

How can you be so sure of Scooter's innocence? Did he spill his guts to you and swear on a Bible that he didn't do it? I think that only the Courts should be able to make the final call about whether he's innocent or guilty, and so Trump pardoning him is just ridiculous since Trump doesn't care whether Libby leaked Plame's name or not. Maybe Trump wants to use Libby for some self-serving purpose.
By blackjack21
MistyTiger wrote:He is not the only law enforcer...there is Congress and the Courts.

Congress and the courts do not enforce laws. Congress makes laws. They only enforce them in places over which they have exclusive jurisdiction. The courts adjudicate laws. They do not enforce them, except as it pertains directly to the authority of the courts.

MistyTiger wrote:His actions are checked by the other 2 branches, checks and balances. He is not the king or a dictator.

I didn't say he was a dictator. I said he was the chief law enforcment officer of the United States.

MistyTiger wrote:How can you be so sure of Scooter's innocence?

It was Richard Armitage that leaked Plame's name to the press. Fitzgerald charged Libby with false statement, perjury, obstruction of justice, etc. as though Libby was trying to prevent the discovery that it was Armitage. Fitzgerald himself knew that it was Armitage. Armitage, by the way, was never charged with a crime--and that was the entire point of the special counsel. That's why Trump's pardon hits home.

MistyTiger wrote:I think that only the Courts should be able to make the final call about whether he's innocent or guilty, and so Trump pardoning him is just ridiculous since Trump doesn't care whether Libby leaked Plame's name or not.

Apparently, you are the last one to know. Libby did NOT leak Plame's name to the press. It was Richard Armitage--who's part of the establishment--and he was never even charged or convicted. The hullaballoo was just to get a special counsel appointed. Fitzgerald was trying to execute a decapitation strategy to take out Vice President Cheney, because they didn't want him to become president if they took Bush out.

MistyTiger wrote:Maybe Trump wants to use Libby for some self-serving purpose.

The prosecutor--Fitzgerald--is James Comey's attorney. Trump is telling them, "I know what you guys did." Trump is telling them that he knows they are dirty--and they are.
By Zamuel
blackjack21 wrote:I didn't say he was a dictator. I said he was the chief law enforcment officer of the United States.

Which is just the latest of your many mistakes. Trump is not a "Law enforcement officer." He cannot arrest anyone (just ask Hillary), cannot charge anyone with a crime and has no authority at all over state and local police agencies. He can't even give "Orders" to the director of the FBI.

Zam
By blackjack21
Zamuel wrote:Which is just the latest of your many mistakes. Trump is not a "Law enforcement officer."

He's accountable for everything. Everything gets done in the name of the administration. The constitution says,
he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed, and shall commission all the officers of the United States.

It even presumes that the president will always be a man...

Zamuel wrote:He cannot arrest anyone (just ask Hillary), cannot charge anyone with a crime and has no authority at all over state and local police agencies.

He is not the chief law enforcement officer of the several states. They are foreign to the United States and each other. He is the chief law enforcement officer of the federal government, except as I pointed out areas where Congress has exclusive jurisdiction.

Zamuel wrote:He can't even give "Orders" to the director of the FBI.

Sure he can. Apparently, you have never heard of executive orders. Executive order
In the United States, an executive order is a directive issued by the President of the United States that manages operations of the federal government and has the force of law.[1] The legal or constitutional basis for executive orders has multiple sources. Article Two of the United States Constitution gives the president broad executive and enforcement authority to use their discretion to determine how to enforce the law or to otherwise manage the resources and staff of the executive branch. The ability to make such orders is also based on express or implied Acts of Congress that delegate to the President some degree of discretionary power (delegated legislation).[2]

He can also appoint and fire officers of the government. That executives typically don't do this directly is a matter of custom--reflecting their station. The idea that the president is somehow powerless and that executive branch agencies get to do whatever the want and the president can do nothing about it is probably because of presidents who have been grossly negligent in their duties.
By Zamuel
blackjack21 wrote:He's accountable for everything.

Which makes him an accountant, not a cop.

Zam :lol:
By blackjack21
Zamuel wrote:Which makes him an accountant, not a cop.

He's neither. He's the head of the executive department. All executive authority is vested in the president and he delegates that power to subordinates.

Anyway, Trump commuted Alice Johnson's sentence--i.e., not a pardon, but it does allow her out of jail.

Scoop: Trump has commuted Alice Johnson’s life sentence
We Trump supporters like that. She's black, and we're all racists. So it's nice to see Kanye West's wife having influence over the president and letting a black grandmother out of jail.

MAGA! :rockon:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

He was "one of the good ones". Of cours[…]

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]