The Samantha Bee Show Not Cancelled Over Ivanka Trump Slur - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
3/10 burn, this isn't the 90's.

I just find it really interesting that saying something racist doesn't require a racist intent to be punishable at this point. It's like words are magic or something, or maybe part of that weird movement where words are treated like violence. It's also essentially a class-based thing, or an openly race-based thing which is at the same time not racist.

So like, if a procedural robot starts saying racist things, is the robot a racist? Or maybe the guy who programmed it even though he didn't intend for it to say racist things at the outset?
Godstud wrote:Exactly. If Roseanne had been fired due to public pressure, I can see there being an argument for unfairness, but such is not the case. She was fired almost immediately by the CEO.

Why do you think he fired her? Because he was personally offended by what Roseanne said? Hah get real GS.
He probably looked at her history of posting crap like this, and decided that she was going too far and fired her stupid ass.

I am sorry if you are offended by people getting what is coming to them <cough> Tommy Robinson <cough>.
maz wrote:Have you devised a grading system in how you are grading these off-color remarks that spark this kind of debate?

Do you mean to suggest that all off-colour remarks are the same? There are many aspects that matter, and if Roseanne Barr were African-American herself, there wouldn't even be an issue, for example.

maz wrote:I have already acknowledged that they are indeed different. One was done while not working and one was done while working.

Sure, if Samantha Bee had called the president's daughter a cunt in a tweet, it wouldn't even be an issue, and please let me not imagine the case in which Barr makes her remarks in her show.
Hong Wu wrote:3/10 burn, this isn't the 90's.

I just find it really interesting that saying something racist doesn't require a racist intent to be punishable at this point. It's like words are magic or something, or maybe part of that weird movement where words are treated like violence. It's also essentially a class-based thing, or an openly race-based thing which is at the same time not racist.

So like, if a procedural robot starts saying racist things, is the robot a racist? Or maybe the guy who programmed it even though he didn't intend for it to say racist things at the outset?

I don’t know your sexual orientation, but your post is glittered with latent displaced homosexual feelings. Intentional I’m guessing?
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... -collapsed

Samantha Bee’s sleepy little show is nowhere near on the level of cultural influence or entertainment of ABC’s “Roseanne,” which is why conservative calls to have Bee’s show canceled are a waste of time— the impact would be negligible.

But Bee’s remark during her show Wednesday calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless c--t” is a perfect case study in the ongoing collapse of liberal entertainment culture.

Bee is supposed to be a comedian, but there is no joke or wit in her insult. It’s like yelling the f-word in a Las Vegas lounge and looking around for applause.

Our own liberal comedian has been equally strained lately. The origin of liberal comedy, with things like the Daily Show and the Colbert Report, was near the end of the Bush years when the American right temporarily stopped trying to argue or defend themselves in cogent ways. This opened them up to dissection and mockery. Since then, the dynamic has switched with the left openly saying they don't need to debate with other people and even without much representation for the right in mainstream entertainment, the left and SJWs are now widespread subjects of public mockery. Leftist comedy shows are trudging along like zombies, expecting things like Bee's "joke" to be treated as funny because there are laugh tracks, talking about Stormy Daniels or Mueller things that get disproved the next day on every episode. Thanks to the internet they seem to be bringing not just the industry but an entire technology paradigm down with themselves. They just aren't funny.
It's not very manly to cry about how one popular woman lost her job for posting something racist online and then to whine about how it's unfair another popular woman hasn't lost her job because she insulted a politician/member of a wealthy family. Not only are the circumstances different, but crying about it makes people look like adult babies throwing temper tantrums.
Beren wrote:Do you mean to suggest that all off-colour remarks are the same?

I'd imagine that under certain circumstances, if would be very difficult to determine which off-color remark would be deemed more offensive.

If for instance, a woman called her female co-worker a c--- in front of the rest their team, and if a white man called a black person an ape in the grocery store, both reactions would likely be confrontational, if not physical.

Beren wrote:Sure, if Samantha Bee had called the president's daughter a cunt in a tweet, it wouldn't even be an issue, and please let me not imagine the case in which Barr makes her remarks in her show.

I bet if she called her a c--- in a tweet the reaction would be about the same. It would be screen-shot and passed around to show how vile and unfunny establishment liberals are, and there would be some calls to have her sponsors boycotted.

And to be fair, Rosanne's remark wasn't funny either, and I can't imagine the show having any context to have that even in the script so it's a moot point. I'm not even sure that Rosanne is even a writer in the show. The show has a bunch of lefty LGBT writers anyways.

In both instances, neither remark was said in person to the parties in question, so we don't know if the people who these comments were directed to were even offended.

We heard a reaction from Jarrett on at least one talk show but she certainly didn't sound offended. She was just whining about other black people who may have to deal with one micro-agression or another, and pretending like it is worse than being forced to drink out of a different water fountain or something.

All the MSNBC hosts surrounding Jarrett, however, were acting like Rosanne was on the neighborhood association and who was trying to make it difficult for Jarrett to move into the white neighborhood.

But yeah, Samantha Bee's slur was way worse. Again, she said it on television, with the approval of her producers and the network. Plus is wasn't just that she called Ivanka a c---, she alluded to her having a sexual relationship with her father.

An nb4 Trump saying inappropriate shit about his daughter; he said most of that stuff on Howard Stern, where Stern was just egging him on. I was listening to Stern back then and incest was a very common theme on that show.

And I highly doubt Ivanka Trump was offended anyways. She probably felt pity for Bee because she is an economic immigrant from Canada who can't make a decent living without being forced to say batshit crazy things on a crappy political show that isn't even that funny.
The people who won't watch her because of what she said, are few and far between. Also, the people who wouldn't watch her because of what she said, probably wouldn't watch it normally. I don't buy this 47% number. Can you provide a source?
Here's some data on ratings: https://www.thewrap.com/samantha-bee-sp ... v-ratings/
Samantha Bee’s apology for calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless c–t” was too little, too late for sponsor Autotrader. The “Full Frontal” host can’t really afford to lose any more advertisers, because based on the below TV ratings, TBS has already absorbed a blow in ad revenue generated by her weekly time slot.

Year-to-date, Bee’s Nielsen ratings are down 34 percent among adults ages 18-49, which is the demographic most-coveted by primetime advertisers. Isolating just millennials, a label assigned to adults ages 18-34, she’s shed a whopping 47 percent — or nearly half — of her 2017 viewership.

In terms of total viewers, “Full Frontal” is down 29 percent year over year.

It seems possible that the "feckless c--t" thing may have even been an act of desperation that didn't play out in a good way for her.

Here's what really influenced me to make my previous post though:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... -collapsed

Samantha Bee’s sleepy little show is nowhere near on the level of cultural influence or entertainment of ABC’s “Roseanne,” which is why conservative calls to have Bee’s show canceled are a waste of time— the impact would be negligible.

But Bee’s remark during her show Wednesday calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless c--t” is a perfect case study in the ongoing collapse of liberal entertainment culture.

Bee is supposed to be a comedian, but there is no joke or wit in her insult. It’s like yelling the f-word in a Las Vegas lounge and looking around for applause.

Bee didn’t even say it in a funny way. At Comedy Central’s roast of Justin Bieber in 2015, comedian Hannibal Buress started his bit telling Bieber, “I don’t like your music, man. I’m not a big fan of it. I listened to some of it, I’m not a fan. I don’t like your music. I think it’s bad. I think it’s bad, man. I don’t like it. I hate your music, man.”

It’s funny because even though there was no twist, Buress said it while Bieber, with his reputation of being a brat, was sitting right there having his work dragged.

By contrast, Bee yelled her “c--t” comment in front of her sympathetic audience at the end of a rant about President Trump’s immigration policies.

That’s not a punchline. It’s an angry monologue that makes you want to ask Bee to calm down.

Name the last time liberals in Hollywood made a clever political joke (aside from Bill Maher, who might be the last funny liberal comedian).

NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” trots out Alec Baldwin to do his weak impersonation of Trump almost every week, and you cringe as if it was your dad trying to win over your friends in high school.

Rob Schneider, a former “Saturday Night Live” cast member, put it exquisitely in an interview with the New York Daily News. “I know the way his politics lean and it spoils any surprise,” Schneider said in late April. “There's no possible surprise. He so clearly hates the man he's playing."

By the way, Schneider has some actually good movies. “Deuce Bigalow” (1999) is still hilarious. The funniest thing Baldwin did was call his daughter a “thoughtless little pig.” And that wasn’t even meant to be funny.

Chelsea Handler was once one of the few genuinely funny female comedians to make a national name for herself, even without being on network TV.

But then Trump was elected and she used her new Netflix show as therapy, literally crying on set.

The show went from daily editions to weekly to canceled after two seasons.

Outrage over Michelle Wolf’s performance at the White House Correspondents’ dinner was thoroughly misplaced. Her material was above average for that dinner, and her roasting of White House press secretary Sarah Sanders was tame but even her best line — “It turns out the president of the United States is the one pussy you’re not allowed to grab” — relied on a reference more than a year old. (Are people still talking about that?!)

Firing Samantha Bee would be pointless. Unlike “Roseanne,” she and the rest of the liberal entertainment industry aren’t making a difference.
If for instance, a woman called her female co-worker a c--- in front of the rest their team, and if a white man called a black person an ape in the grocery store, both reactions would likely be confrontational, if not physical.

America is an odd place, I call my colleges cunts on a daily basis. :?:

What bill are you talking about?

Those who were buried do not have a burial date pr[…]

@FiveofSwords " Franz [B]oas " Are[…]

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/178385974554[…]