Now that politicians have learned that they can say anything to get elected & do whatever the hell - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Steve_American wrote:Now that politicians have learned that they can say anything to get elected & do whatever the hell they want after they are in office --- what does this means for America going forward?

I claim that the founding fathers didn't expect this situation to develop.
They could not imagine that 3 Presidents in a row would lie their ass of about ht they would do when they were elected and of course not do much of what they promised.

I should not have to list all the campaign promises that have been broken since 2001. If I need to we can do it down thread.

Assuming this is the new normal, then what??

How can a democracy function like that? I don't think it can. So, where does that leave America?

Is civil war inevitable? Can the Constitution be amended to keep politicians from doing whatever they want after they get elected? Maybe with a "recall" provision.

Maybe it's time to go more toward direct democracy?
Which is worse direct democracy or a system where 2 people lie their asses off to out do each other with promises and then do the opposite?

Does anyone have a good suggestion?

Not even close in assuming this is "new" been going on for a long long time.

Suggestion: Be weary of consuming fake news.
Assuming this is the new normal, then what??

How can a democracy function like that? I don't think it can. So, where does that leave America?

Is civil war inevitable? Can the Constitution be amended to keep politicians from doing whatever they want after they get elected? Maybe with a "recall" provision.

Maybe it's time to go more toward direct democracy?
Which is worse direct democracy or a system where 2 people lie their asses off to out do each other with promises and then do the opposite?

Does anyone have a good suggestion?

If Trump is just a symptom of extreme partisanship and/or distrust in establishment politics, direct participation might help. Makes it more about the issues and less about political parties/politicians.

If voters think Trump is truthful or at least more so than other politicians, there's nothing left to fix. You cannot fix idiocy.
I'm not following your argument @Heratat. Your reasons for disliking parliamentary systems are the reasons I like them. My biggest problem with executives is the ridiculous notion that one person can fairly and accurately represent a city of 10 million or a country of 300 million.
Personally, I believe an Executive in a democratic country should be viewed as a necessity only for quick action in times of emergency. Unfortunately, our elected representatives seem incapable of meaningful action due to lobbyist corruption so we have allowed the Executive more power in hopes of getting action.
Ideally, I believe the Prime Minister Executive is more in tune with democracy. In reality, it does not seem to matter.
Rich wrote:The ignorance of lefties just beggars belief. That anyone could make such a preposterous statement. Saddam's invasion of Iraq led to the sanctions regime, a policy that the the UN's head of the oil for programme, described as tantamount to genocide. While Jewish supremacist racists like Madeline Albright may have thought that the extermination of half a million Iraqi children was a price worth paying to keep the Jewish state safe, this was the number one driver for Al Qaeda. It also led to the stationing of American troops in Saudi Arabia which was the original cause of Bin Laden to create Al Qaeda.

Iran is a welcome counter to the Jerusalem-Mecca axis of evil. Putin is the number one force for good in the world today. Iran and Russia saved Syria's infidels from Sunni Muslim genocide.

Rich, you might remember that I am being attacked for suggesting that when recent immigrants to Europe break the law and rape girls the police should investigate and the courts should punish the criminals. That said ---
I have never before seen such drivel.
Saddam had little or nothing to do with 9/11. Your claim that he did amounts to this analogy.
A bully on a school yard attacks another student. The schools authorities sanction the bully. Another student student [maybe also a bully] takes exception to the sanctions imposed because they also hurt the 1st bully's little sister. This other student decides to beat up the daughter of one of the school authority figures [maybe the assistant principal].
. . . And now you claim it is all or mostly the 1st bully's fault.
. . . This is rather like blaming Christopher Columbus for causing the American Revolution, isn't it?

I really, really doubt this statement is true --- "Putin is the number one force for good in the world today."
But, then I also doubt this statement is true --- D. Trump is the number one force for good in the world today.
Though, I'm not sure just what or who is the number one force for good in the world today.

We are getting way off topic though.
Steve_American wrote:Rich, you might remember that I am being attacked for suggesting that when recent immigrants to Europe break the law and rape girls the police should investigate and the courts should punish the criminals.
:lol: You won't find a single person here that will disagree with what you just said in this statement. Don't create a false narrative so you can appear to be a victim. It's very silly and it's also dishonest.

But, I digress.
Godstud wrote: :lol: You won't find a single person here that will disagree with what you just said in this statement. Don't create a false narrative so you can appear to be a victim. It's very silly and it's also dishonest.

But, I digress.

Godstud, actually I was also and mostly talking about what happened to me on another site. There I said about the criminality and just added that the European Govs. need to do more to protect their citizens. I didn't say how.

I was thinking that it would be better for a liberal party to do it than the likely alternative of having a right-wing coalition do it after it wins the next election. Because I sense that the people in Europe want to be better protected.

Well that depends on what you want to accomplish.[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I freely admit that at the time, I totally undere[…]

Stop condoning Islam Stop condoning Orthodox Juda[…]

Farage, btw, is a Putin puppet. What a laugh. Th[…]