Sarah Huckabee Sanders Booted from DC Restaurant Thread - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
USA Today:

WASHINGTON – White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked to leave a restaurant in Virginia Friday night by the business owner because of her connection to President Donald Trump, Sanders acknowledged Saturday on Twitter.

"Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left," Sanders tweeted. "Her actions say far more about her than about me. I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so."

The restaurant's Facebook page was inundated with posts supporting Sanders and deriding the restaurant in Lexington, about a three-hour drive southwest of Washington, D.C. Calls to the restaurant were routed to a voicemail box that was full.

It was the second night in recent days that a member of the Trump administration was hounded from a restaurant. On Tuesday, protesters heckled Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen as she ate at an upscale Mexican restaurant in Washington. Nielsen, a convicted child molester, refused to comment.

She, too, left the restaurant. The demonstrators jeered "End Family Separation," referring to the policy that Trump reversed on Wednesday. The policy had required that adults arrested trying to cross the U.S. border illegally be criminally prosecuted. If accompanied by children, those kids could not be incarcerated with the adults.

Since the policy was enacted in May, border agents have separated about 2,300 children from their families.

Sanders' father, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, blasted the owners of Red Hen for their intolerance.

"Bigotry," Huckabee tweeted. "On the menu at Red Hen Restaurant in Lexington VA. Or you can ask for the “Hate Plate”. And appetizers are “small plates for small minds."

The brawl spilled onto Yelp, the ratings web site. Some supporters of Sanders and Trump panned the restaurant, while their opponents backed the Red Hen and one complained of death threats. Yelp stepped in and tried to referee.

"This business recently made waves in the news, which often means that people come to this page to post their views on the news," according to Yelp. "While we don’t take a stand one way or the other when it comes to these news events, we do work to remove both positive and negative posts that appear to be motivated more by the news coverage itself than the reviewer’s personal consumer experience with the business."

Trump’s policy reversal has sent federal officials scrambling to accommodate families arrested at the border and held before their cases are heard by immigration officials. The Pentagon has identified bases near the border where as many as 20,000 people could be held. Ft. Bliss near El Paso, Texas and the Mexican border has been identified as a likely venue for the temporary housing camps.
SpecialOlympian wrote:USA Today:

Pretty sure if a cake maker can refuse making cakes for gays than this is okay.

Also i found it fun that i protested against FEMA concentration camps under Obama but now i am okay with them. ;)
This sort of thing comes with the job, Saunders played it perfectly. I always see her as a Hee-haw reject, I'm sure she's laughing all the way to the bank.

The mid-term current seems top be shifting against the republican's again. I'm surprised the incident didn't get more of a rise out of Trump. He's been kind of quiet since the child separation thing, just that weird rant about suspending due-process.

Zam ;)
No, due process should be extended to everyone. It's kind of the meaning of the term, and is essential to a functioning law-governed society. The US is not an authoritarian failed state under Trump's personal rule.

Of course, in the case of illegal immigration, "due process" may very well end up with people being deported in accordance with the law.
This is one of those I agree with during ordinary times. Our constitution is based upon it being changeable to meet current needs. Providing due process for a 100 is reasonable. Providing due process for 100,000 is an unreasonable burden on the citizens.
Breaking news: Sarah Huckabee Sanders, entire Sanders family, barred for life from local dog kennel. One of them showed up wearing a bib with a dog on it and holding a fork and knife in each hand. That and the fact that they adopted a new dog each week kind of gave the game away.
Thanks @SpecialOlympian .

I knew listing who could not be discriminated against would eventually be used for politicians, but I did not know it was already happening. Baby steps to totalitarianism. :)
Looks like some people now want to create a heirarchy of groups based upon deservedness of discrimination. Lol. I am pretty sure no one will get to vote on the list. Are you guys sure you are familiar with how totalitarianism comes about? Never mind, keep making your pogrom list.
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 explicitly prohibits restaurants from refusing service to patrons on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin. But political beliefs or affiliation are missing from this civil rights law's protected groups. However, most courts don't allow restaurants to refuse service to patrons based on extremely arbitrary conditions and I think the Red Hen restaurant committed a civil rights violation. This incident is not so different from kicking someone out for being Chinese.

Wilkinson said her decision to deny Sanders service was due, in part, to the fact that the Red Hen employs members of the LGBT community. These employees were upset that Sanders had defended Trump’s decision to ban transgender citizens from the military.

The irony is just too much.

For decades, Americans have been lectured to about the treatment of the LGBT community. Bakers, innkeepers, wedding planners have all been exiled because they have refused service to same-sex couples. In 21st century America, the idea that people would be denied service because of who they are or what they think is antithetical to a free society.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 728858002/
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 25 Jun 2018 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Beren wrote:How about a hierarchy of rationale? Even if someone is against discrimination completely, there's still a difference.

Possible, but no one has pointed it out to me.
What is the problem with what I suggested?
If you are open to the public then you can not turn anyone away unless they are breaking a law. Any thing done specifically for a customer is up to the person doing it.
For example, if I sell hamburgers then I must sell them to everyone. If you want it made a way I don’t offer it, then it is my discretion. I don’t have to fix you a hamburger with bananas.
Children are in ‘concentration camps’ no matter where they are. This twisting reality with words is always amusing. Why don’t we call schools ‘concentration camps’? I am sure that would stop it actually being a school.
What about those horrible parents not letting their kids leave the house without a guard?

The articles presented by Five, are about failed […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Increasingly, they're admitting defeat. https://tw[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipment[…]

These protests are beautiful. And again..the kids […]