The 2016 Election and the Demise of Journalistic Standards - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Decky wrote:There is no such thing as unbiased journalism, they all report whatever the capitalist who owns the paper/ station tells them to. That is why the media in any capitalist nation will always have a right wing bias.
I know this is hard for you to understand as a communist, but yes there is actually such a thing as unbiased and fair reportage.
Ter wrote:Indeed many headlines start by saying "Trump lied, Trump was wrong, Trump is misleading" and so on, ths is not really up for discussion.
Interesting that the same facts can be viewed in totally different ways, according to people's preconceptions.

Trump lies all the time. Like, really childish and stupid lies such as saying the head of the Boy Scouts called him to say the speech he gave was the greatest speech ever given, that the NFL agreed with him on moving the debates, etc.

Extremely obvious and easily disproven lies. Maybe you're the biased one if your standard is, "The media does not constantly praise Trump." Which basically puts you in the same camp as 1°.
Albert wrote:This is what the media fails to understand and the establishment. It is not Trump who is using the people, it is the people who are using Trump. And the fact that they can not understand this is because they still continue to take the people for fools, they keep seeing themselves as somehow superior to the general public.

That's actually genius: a succinct summation of today's politics. That's why I find it hilarious to hear people say, "Trump lies all the time, like 1000x a day." Do they really think that we care? Do they really think that if they can make Trump look bad, we'll vote for them instead? There is a whole generation now that is hip to their drill, and simply don't care anymore.

One Degree wrote:Excellent article.

It is. Although, I think the 2016 election was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I've been saying for years that many in the media are spies, they are bribed, or they are bribing others. This is now more or less revealed to the public thanks in part to Wikileaks and others. Victor Davis Hansen referred to 2016 as the Neutron Bomb election. I think he was spot on with that metaphor, but I still think it is not intuitive to the establishment.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Trump lies all the time. Like, really childish and stupid lies such as saying the head of the Boy Scouts called him to say the speech he gave was the greatest speech ever given, that the NFL agreed with him on moving the debates, etc.

Extremely obvious and easily disproven lies. Maybe you're the biased one if your standard is, "The media does not constantly praise Trump." Which basically puts you in the same camp as 1°.

Did you read the article in the OP ?
Nowhere does it say that Trump is telling the truth or anything of the sort.
The article emphasises that the press treats Trump differently from Obama even when Obama or Clinton demonstratively lied. The article also says that the press these days merely utters opinion instead of giving us news, hence the loss in credibility.
Decky wrote:There is no such thing as unbiased journalism, they all report whatever the capitalist who owns the paper/ station tells them to. That is why the media in any capitalist nation will always have a right wing bias.

This is mostly true as long as we allow a few exceptions.
For example, Watergate. It seems that the owner of the WaP did not protect Nixon.
The reaction to Trump reminds me of when children are taught the value of sharing. They say “mine, not share”, then the older sibling takes it away from them. The younger one is outraged by the unfairness until they realize their unwillingness to compromise is what resulted in them losing everything. :)
One Degree wrote:The reaction to Trump reminds me of when children are taught the value of sharing. They say “mine, not share”, then the older sibling takes it away from them. The younger one is outraged by the unfairness until they realize their unwillingness to compromise is what resulted in them losing everything. :)

Of course in reality the younger one earned it while the older one is simply a thug.

But Harris actually addresses that at some point in his ramblings. The Trumpanzees are not interested in the truth and they make no effort to find it. For them the shameless lying and violation of social norms is just a demonstration of power they revel in.
Rugoz wrote:Of course in reality the younger one earned it while the older one is simply a thug.

But Harris actually addresses that at some point in his ramblings. The Trumpanzees are not interested in the truth and they make no effort to find it. For them the shameless lying and violation of social norms is just a demonstration of power they revel in.

Obviously, not all Trump supporters think alike. I do think Democrats should consider how much of their dislike is due to his rejection of their beliefs rather than him as a person. Both sides need to be honest with themselves if they have any interest in the common good. Only seeing Trump as a person instead of policy differences is not constructive.
Rugoz wrote:Of course in reality the younger one earned it while the older one is simply a thug.

The establishment has been lying for decades, so when all these accusations are thrown at Trump for lying, no one cares. You people still do not get it, Trump is a protest vote. The fact that he has not blown up half of the earth by this point is a surprise to me as well.

Most people who voted for Trump know exactly who he is, some support him now in actuality because he is actually keeping a lot of his promises and like what he is doing. But at the beginning I believe most people voted for him because they were sick of the status quo.

Trump is a massive trolling done by the electorate and the fact that you people keep calling them dumb and stupid, shows the trolling is doing its job. That is why they relish in Trump and what he is doing to the establishment and their supporters. Perhaps at this point I'm beginning to think Trump himself might be doing this on purpose.
Rugoz wrote:I hope you are right.
I hope so as well. I believe the majority of people who voted for him did so for a mix of reasons, protest vote, frustration with the status quo, some things he promised to do (like on immigration or what not), they did vote for him well knowing that he is a bad character. I hope this risk is not going to cost everyone dearly in the long run, but if things do go sour the blame is as much on the establishment and people who kept voting them in blindly as it is on people who voted in Trump.

Sooner or later there had to be some sort of push back against what is happening around the western world in general.

I still believe Trump is a demagogue with a tinge of neo-nazi like persuasion. He should not become a permanent figure in politics and I believe US democratic system is strong enough to withstand him. US democratic institution is well mature not like German democracy of Weimar Republic or that of Russian Federation, where Putin and his cronies took advantage of newly created weak democratic institutions.
Ter wrote:Did you read the article in the OP ?
Nowhere does it say that Trump is telling the truth or anything of the sort.
The article emphasises that the press treats Trump differently from Obama even when Obama or Clinton demonstratively lied. The article also says that the press these days merely utters opinion instead of giving us news, hence the loss in credibility.

No, I didn't bother to read what was pretty obviously a big dumb OpEd. If you expected me to read it then why did you bother to include a TL:DR at the end?

Wow. An article written by the political columnist for the New York Post, an extremely retarded/conservative paper, thinks the media is unfair to Trump? Color me fucking shocked.

Go back to describing your breakfast bro, and probably see a doctor. AFAIK you're some British dude who had a job in India for a while and your weird right turn toward having a Soros avatar and suddenly being very concerned with the AMERICAN media's treatment of the dumbest man to ever walk the earth seems indicative of a brain tumor, untreated stroke, early onset dementia, etc.

Spoiler: show

SpecialOlympian wrote:No, I didn't bother to read what was pretty obviously a big dumb OpEd. If you expected me to read it then why did you bother to include a TL:DR at the end?

Wow. An article written by the political columnist for the New York Post, an extremely retarded/conservative paper, thinks the media is unfair to Trump? Color me fucking shocked.

Go back to describing your breakfast bro, and probably see a doctor. AFAIK you're some British dude who had a job in India for a while and your weird right turn toward having a Soros avatar and suddenly being very concerned with the AMERICAN media's treatment of the dumbest man to ever walk the earth seems indicative of a brain tumor, untreated stroke, early onset dementia, etc.

Spoiler: show

Here, take a tissue, you are foaming at the mouth.
It seems to me you still have not digested stinky Hillary's defeat.

You haven't posted anything readable since Trump became President of your country.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Ter, for your next thread on AMERICAN politics, I suggest you find a redstate.com contributor who has genuine, serious advice for the Democrats about how they're going "too far left" because Ocasio-Cortez won a primary. Keep the hot takes coming.
S.O. do you want to post something of substance that is worth reading. As so for your posts are of inferior quality to that of you opponents, who are superior in their posting quality.
I just did. I pointed out that the guy who wants ~fair media standards~ for the president works for an aggressively pro-Trump media outlet.

This is another dumb chud argument meant to delegitimize all criticism of Trump. Because when you can't defend Trump's actions your only option is to attack everyone pointing out that he's a retard. Sorry I'm not taking the bait and correctly pointing out that the argument itself is retarded. So retarded that I literally do not have to read it to trigger you chucklefucks into having meltdowns.

I read the TL:DR. Again, why would our brain genius OP include one if reading the article was necessary? Sorry you guy suck at everything you do.

(We all know Ter included it because he wanted to post the dumb AF OpEd but had to lazily tack on a sentence as commentary, as per forum rules)

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]