EPA blocks warnings on cancer-causing chemical - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
EPA blocks warnings on cancer-causing chemical
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/ ... ked-696628

The Trump administration is suppressing an Environmental Protection Agency report that warns that most Americans inhale enough formaldehyde vapor in the course of daily life to put them at risk of developing leukemia and other ailments, a current and a former agency official told POLITICO.

The warnings are contained in a draft health assessment EPA scientists completed just before Donald Trump became president, according to the officials. They said top advisers to departing Administrator Scott Pruitt are delaying its release as part of a campaign to undermine the agency’s independent research into the health risks of toxic chemicals.

The GOP has your back, citizens! Pesky regulations, JOBS! IMMIGRANTS! MSM!
Without knowing the actual risk, it is impossible to take a stand. This is something government should determine if the risk requires public hysteria from issuing warnings. We should not issue ‘risk warnings’ over minor issues.
If it is found in everything, what is the point?
Personally, ‘formaldehyde’ always pops into my mind from smell of new stuff. It always bothered me, but I am still alive and leukemia free.
Yes, anecdotes totally prove everything in science, especially your detailed knowledge of what formaldehyde is, because the Obama EPA just wanted to be jerks and regulated carcinogens just to stick it to the corporations. Thank God Trump is there to defend poor corporations dealing with carcinogens.

I smoked and haven't developed lung cancer. Thus, there is no lung cancer caused by cigarette smoking.

This isn't an isolated incident - the Trump EPA has been closing protected areas and removing safety regulations from day 1 and calling it "winning" in the battle against boogeyman regulations.
You are right that my scientific knowledge is lacking, which is why I said I could not take a position without knowing the actual risks. My limited knowledge says this is especially true of carcinogens. Without a genetic predisposition, many don’t need to worry at all.
I don’t want an EPA scaring me about a one in a million chance. I do, however, want to be informed of a significant risk. One of the characteristics that has emerged from ‘advanced’ society is fear of everything. That is not beneficial. For example fear of coffee, sugar, salt, carbohydrates, etc. The public goes nuts over any warning, therefore they should be carefully considered.
Formaldehyde is an actual, significant risk to your health. It is very toxic and inhaling the fumes is not safe. Handling it requires care, and being exposed to it is very dangerous. @One Degree all you have to do is do the absolute bare minimum of reading about formaldehyde to know this. It's not a state secret or even remotely confusing.

The news story itself is very strange because formaldehyde's risks, toxicity, and carcinogenic nature has been known for quite some time and isn't a mystery at all.
Bulaba Jones wrote:Formaldehyde is an actual, significant risk to your health. It is very toxic and inhaling the fumes is not safe. Handling it requires care, and being exposed to it is very dangerous. @One Degree all you have to do is do the absolute bare minimum of reading about formaldehyde to know this. It's not a state secret or even remotely confusing.

The news story itself is very strange because formaldehyde's risks, toxicity, and carcinogenic nature has been known for quite some time and isn't a mystery at all.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/cau ... fact-sheet
I took your advice and did a brief search. It appears the only possible cancer risks are occupational with heavy exposure. There is apparently no known long term effects from normal exposure.
One Degree wrote:https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/formaldehyde/formaldehyde-fact-sheet
I took your advice and did a brief search. It appears the only possible cancer risks are occupational with heavy exposure. There is apparently no known long term effects from normal exposure.

I remember dealing with formaldehyde last in college a decade ago. Back then, there seemed to be more of a concern about its effects on health and possible cancer risks. I remember it was stressed that it was very toxic, but that may have been more of an issue related to concentrated amounts of formaldehyde in small, enclosed spaces. It is a toxic chemical, but it's possible that's similar to saying carbon monoxide is toxic: you don't want to inhale it constantly.
Hong Wu wrote:So you're saying that Trump's EPA wants people to get cancer?

The answer is very clearly, yes.

The US government doesn't really care about its citizens, and is completely beholden to the corporations that want to fill the air with formaldehyde.
Trump's EPA would rather protect businesses than citizens. That's the way Trump likes it.

Canada has regulations regarding formaldehyde. We had to install better ventilation at our plastic plant I worked at, because of the formaldehyde vapours created during molding.

nice to see Trump and his stooges don't give a shit about stupid Americans who elected him. :lol:
Particle board, used ubiquitously in furniture, wafts formaldehyde fumes.
I was personally exposed to a lot of it during my biology studies because it was used as a preservation fluid for insects and other animals. For my personal collections I only used alcohol as a preservative agent.
Bulaba Jones wrote:Formaldehyde is an actual, significant risk to your health. It is very toxic and inhaling the fumes is not safe. Handling it requires care, and being exposed to it is very dangerous. @One Degree all you have to do is do the absolute bare minimum of reading about formaldehyde to know this. It's not a state secret or even remotely confusing.

Get with the program Bud! More cancer means greater profits for members of Donald's billionaire club. THAT is what will make America great again.
jimjam wrote:"Normal exposure" to formaldehyde ? :eek:

Bring it on man …….. :lol:

I didn’t write the article. Our government health experts did. It is obvious some of the posts after mine saw no reason to read what it said. “There are no known long term health risks to normal exposure”.
Our bodies are miraculous in this way. It is only overwhelming our systems that normally create problems.
One Degree wrote:I didn’t write the article. Our government health experts did. It is obvious some of the posts after mine saw no reason to read what it said. “There are no known long term health risks to normal exposure”.
Our bodies are miraculous in this way. It is only overwhelming our systems that normally create problems.

I care not who wrote what. Experts is surely a relative term. I suspect that some consider Scott Pruitt, The Toxic Guy, to be an "expert". You can enjoy your "normal exposure". I prefer NO exposure .
jimjam wrote:I care not who wrote what. You can enjoy your "normal exposure". I prefer NO exposure .

You might start with selling your vehicles then. Also, forget about those Cuban cigars. :)

and nobody was particularly interested in Iraq p[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We don't walk away from our allies says Genocide […]

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]