An interesting interview with the ex-mayor of New Orleans and presidential candidate? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ics-218960

Politico has an interesting interview with a potential presidential candidate:

"The line Obama used all the time in the 2016 campaign and since, is that if you had to be born at any time in history, in any country, you’d pick now, in America.

Right, Landrieu says. But that wasn’t the feeling that drove Trump’s win and power since.

“We are not in a place where the world is about to take us over, and we ought not be in a position of crouched fear and hunched in and isolated. We ought to be feeling much better about ourselves. But here’s the thing: we’re not,” Landrieu says. “And so I’m not trying to diminish people’s feelings. I think the question is, why do we feel that way? Because there’s an answer there, and I don’t know what the answer is at the moment.”

I know what the answer is.
The answer is Neo-liberal economic theory is keeping the US from increasing Gov. spending to finally get the nation's economy going again and it caused labor laws to have been gutted so wages have not gone up for 35+ years. This means that the American people are hurting a lot.

Students are being crushed under college-debt.
Jobs don't pay enough because all the corporation's increases in income/profit for the last 35+ years have *all* gone to the top 1% to 5% and none has gone to the workers. Young people can be working full time and still qualify for Medicaid and other Gov. welfare programs.
Many people in the age group 20-65 are not holding full time jobs. They are unemployed or working part time.
There are not enough dollars in the hands of the bottom 90% of Americans to create enough demand to get the American economy moving again.

All of this stems directly from Neo-liberal economic theory. A theory by and for the 1%, and only for them. The 1% use their money to keep this theory in place by paying the salaries of economists who espouse it. They do it in think tanks and by subsidizing University Economics Depts, with strings attached, etc.
Any economic conspiracy theory needs to be attributed to the top .01% at minimum. The top 1% means you know many of these people personally and they have no interest in screwing you over.
"The line Obama used all the time in the 2016 campaign and since, is that if you had to be born at any time in history, in any country, you’d pick now, in America."

This is a very tenuous statement, which reeks of the disgusting ideology called 'American Exceptionalism'.

The only rational argument I can see in favor of this statement is access to modern phones, computers, cars, etc.

But I don't think these things are attributable to genuine fulfillment.

The economic realities of the US do not support the above notion. Young people today are among the first generations which are projected to do worse than their parents. That is an indication that if you were to choose to be born in any time and in any country; and you opted for the US for whatever personal reason; now would not be the most ideal time.

Hell, I just might choose such a time as when there was a homestead act in place.
Crantag wrote:
This is a very tenuous statement, which reeks of the disgusting ideology called 'American Exceptionalism'.

The only rational argument I can see in favor of this statement is access to modern phones, computers, cars, etc.

But I don't think these things are attributable to genuine fulfillment.

The economic realities of the US do not support the above notion. Young people today are among the first generations which are projected to do worse than their parents. That is an indication that if you were to choose to be born in any time and in any country; and you opted for the US for whatever personal reason; now would not be the most ideal time.

Hell, I just might choose such a time as when there was a homestead act in place.

I totally agree with the part I bolded.
The best time to have been born was in 1946 in America and white.
This was just after miracle drugs would keep you from dying when still a kid.
This was the best time economically.
Being whits meant you didn't have to fight for the rights you should have been given 100 years earlier.
Being male or female is not that important. By the time you were an adult women had finally gotten mostly equal, ISTM.
And finally, you would not live long enough to see the coming chaos ruin your life.

https://youtu.be/zKwZH8MvPj8?si=pR50awzGXEk26OHX […]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]