Guardians of the Galaxy Director Fired Over Disturbing Tweets - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Beren wrote:What to explain here? Being offensive doesn't mean anything and bad taste shouldn't be discriminated against as much as racism should.

Well that is fine. But if I recall, Roseanne claimed her tweet was in bad taste rather than racist.

Personally I have no love for pedophillia either. So naturally I don't consider such jokes as 'bad taste' actually.
Red_Army wrote:They're both jokes and not a big deal. @B0ycey just wants to yell about hypocrisy even though there isn't any happening right now.

The difference between the two things is stark for another reason. Some rightwing dipshit dug this shit up from a decade ago, whereas Roseanne's tweet was criticized for being written in the moment.

There is definitely hypocrisy.

Do any of you guys remember the first high profile incident of someone getting fired for wrongthink? I think it was that CEO from Mozilla who years before donated to help stop gay marriage in California.

I will have to find that thread so we can see what everyone thought about it back then.

I specifically want to see if I warned about this dangerous tactic eventually being used on the left.
maz wrote:You think making jokes about a weird looking woman is worse than joking about raping kids?

Roseanne Barr referred to Barack Obama as Muslim Brotherhood and Michelle Obama as Planet of the Apes, that must be understood to get her "joke" right. No one would ever admit that, including Barr herself, but it's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

As I said, I find racism worse than any kind of bad joke in any kind of bad taste. It was inappropriate, but he didn't mean to identify with rapists or paedophiles, he also didn't mean to stand up for them, he rather meant to criticise them. He did it in a terribly wrong and offensive way, but that's it.
To be honest @Red_Army, to not be against either tweet is fine by me. I may not agree with you, but at least you are consistent. Although I don't really see the difference in regards to time scale in offences. Is murder any less of a crime a decade ago for example?

Nonetheless get use to it. The lengths the Liberals have gone to tarnish the alt-right and vice versa means we can expect many skeletons to be unearthed in the future I'm sure.
Beren wrote:
As I said, I find racism worse than any kind of bad joke in any kind of bad taste. It was inappropriate, but he didn't mean to identify with rapists or paedophiles, he also didn't mean to stand up for them, he rather meant to criticise them. He did it in a terribly wrong and offensive way, but that's it.

How could Gunn, being involved in an industry where charges of sex with boys is common, not have meant to indentify with rapists and pedos?

But if we are going to take Gunn at his word the we should also take Rosanne at her word when she said that she didn’t mean to be racist because she didn’t know that Valerie Jarret was black, right?
Red_Army wrote:Did you read his explanation? He said he was trying to be shocking when he wrote those tweets and that he's a different person with different sensibilities now. Comparing it to murder is stupid. I'm sure you've said dumb shit you aren't proud of in your life.

I didn't compare it to murder. That was an example. Perhaps he is sorry for his words. Perhaps he is different today than then. I suspect he is. But it is difficult to defend his sacking if you have been vocal for Roseannes. And perhaps the Liberals should remember that before claiming that this is an injustice.
Last edited by B0ycey on 22 Jul 2018 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
maz wrote:How could Gunn, being involved in an industry where charges of sex with boys is common, not have meant to indentify with rapists and pedos?

But if we are going to take Gunn at his word the we should also take Rosanne at her word when she said that she didn’t mean to be racist because she didn’t know that Valerie Jarret was black, right?

It's another issue if you believe he identified with them, in my opinion he meant to be sarcastic.

I don't take anyone at their word. Gunn was a distasteful idiot who meant to be provocative, whereas Roseanne Barr was a blatant racist, and I don't mind their excuses.
Red_Army wrote:There are actual pedophiles, but you dipshits get riled up about twitter jokes.

At least SJWs were original. All the pussy rightwingers just copied their playbook and whined in the same weakling fashion.

I can't disagree with you here Red_Army. I do not care for at all for Cernovich and you are right to say that Cernovich is a pussy rightwinger. I have some other issues with him which i will withhold for now.

From the beginning, I have been against the idea of bring up internet postings or other political activity from previous and applying it in the present in order to get people fired, de-platformed from social media or banned from PayPal/Patreon.

But it was Cernovich's followers who found the tweets and Cernovich himself merely amplified the findings. I haven't been able to determine if it was Cernovich who encouraged people to confront Gunn at an upcoming Comicon event.

While I believe that Gunn's Twitter posts are vile, I believe that Disney was to blame for not properly vet his social media accounts prior to bringing him on as a high-level employee. Either that or they were aware of his tweets and simply found nothing wrong with he tweets because his employers are demented perderasts.

Tim Pool, one of the only honest liberals left who is willing to call out the left claims that the right is simply holding the left to their own standards. See his video below. While I can understand this to an extent, I also know that it is a slippery slope where eventually, the right is simply going to replace the left as the pro-censorship authoritarian enforcers and start going after every leftists for wrongthink.

Red_Army wrote:I think most people are happy he was fired. I'm not a liberal and don't get offended by bad jokes.

I haven't looked very deep into this story but I get the feeling that the liberal Hollywood establishment is not liking this at all and are probably wondering which one of them are going to be next.

There are some people actually upset about the firing.

Luke O'Brien, the HuffPo guy who wrote the 2nd article in the OP is also upset, but mostly because of his own stupid drama covering right-wingers and so-called white supremacists. I think that covering these topics has left him a bit deranged and mentally ill.

It is especially hypocritical when his article's headline is "How Pizzagate Pusher Mike Cernovich Keeps Getting People Fired" when nowhere in his piece did he mention that Just last month he doxxed a semi-anonymous pro-Trump Twitter user whose husband got fired from his job and her brother's business was affected because of his doxxing. I couldn't find any articles from the left or the right without much spin outside of the NY Times piece which documented the fallout - An Online Agitator, a Social Media Exposé and the Fallout in Brooklyn

I tried to find this tweet on James Gunn's timeline but could not find it. I did find a tweet on May 29 where he referenced talking about ambien and whining about racism and nazis, so the tweet is probably real and he deleted it.

If it is real, then it was the greatest comeuppance of all time.

I absolutely love seeing the "freedom of speech has consequences" outrage mob being held to their own standards and then seeing that they really don't believe their own bullshit after all.

Roseanne Barr disgusted over support for James Gunn: ‘the same people blacklisted me’

“I’m disgusted to read all of the support for James Gunn’s pedophile jokes-as the same people supported blacklisting me for a joke they didn’t even understand,” Barr wrote on Twitter.

Disney Should Know the Difference Between James Gunn and Roseanne

The road to the takedown of Gunn probably began two months ago, with Disney’s (via its network ABC) abrupt cancellation of Roseanne after its star compared former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett to an ape, while attacking Muslims and George Soros for good measure. Like Gunn, Barr had a long history of appalling statements on social media, one that was well-known to ABC before Roseanne was revived. Unlike Gunn, the tweet that resulted in her dismissal was brand-new, which suggested that Disney was willing to draw a line, in effect granting its top-level talent amnesty for any preemployment offensiveness as long as, going forward, their records stayed clean.

Barr’s support for Trump made her a hero of the right (and of Trump himself, who called her to offer congratulations on her first episode’s ratings). When she shot herself in the foot, as anyone who has followed her social-media career knew she would, her firing was quickly reframed by alt-righters as the end point of a liberal-media smear campaign. And here’s where the problem starts. The Breitbart/Trump/Cernovich portion of the right has always tried to minimize blatant racism, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, and anti-Jewish or anti-Muslim rhetoric by placing it all under one heading: “not politically correct.” In their world, only “snowflakes” take umbrage at people who dare to “tell it like it is”; they view everything from the #MeToo movement to attacks on racism as penalties that liberals administer to those who violate perceived political orthodoxy. The outrage with which Cernovich went after Gunn is a calculated posture, a way of saying, “If you can get someone fired by saying their words are offensive, we can too.”

That approach depends, for its effectiveness, on a deliberate refusal to draw any categorical distinctions. It insists on a world in which punishment should be weighed not by the intensity of the offense but by the noise level of those who are (or act) offended. Thus, Gunn’s comment that a hotel shower was so weak that it felt like a 3-year-old peeing on his head (yes, that is literally one of the “pedophilia” jokes that was quoted in support of his firing) is given the same weight as a blunt-force attack on African-Americans, the LGBTQ community, or women.

If you can’t see a difference between a lame Gunn tweet from 2012 like “Three Men and a Baby They Had Sex With #unromanticmovies” and “When is the last time women organized to support a men’s rights issue? Stop being fags. Who cares about breast cancer and rape? Not me” (a Cernovich tweet from 2012 — he’s super-interested in not being interested in rape), then you’re either not trying, or you’re invested in insisting there’s no difference. As is, for example, Ted Cruz, who swiftly attached his suction cups to the underside of this news cycle and sweatily tweeted about Gunn that “if these tweets are true, he needs to be prosecuted.” By Saturday, Gunn’s Wikipedia page had a subheading labeled “Pedophilia accusations”; it has since been changed, but the reputational damage is done.
Companies can fire people for whatever they want. Who cares.

Also, if we didn't get all outraged by shit people said, companies would never feel compelled to fire people so they don't lose money.

we are all the blame for creating outrage culture. Outrage culture began on the Christian right with the fundies and parental controls and censorship.

Then the SJWS appropriated this same idea for "offensive" wrong-think and political correctness.

Now the far-right wants to mimic SJWs to "get even" for getting fucked over by them via doxxing, firings, etc.

Its a western phenomenon now, not a left-right one, and its not a constitutional one either, because the Supreme Court has ruled more consistently on speech than on any other issue, and it manifestly has dismissed hate speech and offensive speech as nonsense.

But this is not a legal matter or a constitutional matter, this is culture matter and a business-rights matter.

Businesses should have the right to fire people that cost them money. period.

so what are we left with?

the culture of outrage.

How do we fix that?

I don't think we can, but maybe everyone can start by not being little bitches all the time and get the fuck off social-media.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is boring to have this discussion be about how […]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]