Infowars, Harasser of Parents of Sandy Hook Victims, Has Been Deplatformed Thread - Page 18 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Rugoz wrote:I cannot even find the 17% number in your sources,

17.4% for a fact, you don't know what you're talking about.

but regardless. You claimed Slim owns the NYTimes, which is simply horseshit given his current or past ownership of class A shares.

You can stand on that lame quibble but the fact remains that nearly half the major newspapers in the US are owned by billionaires and all of them are owned by the .01%.

Investors will seek the short term profit, it's classical "tragedy of the commons". What is rational for the individual isn't necessarily rational for the group. Also, there is investment in "populist muckraking"

What are some major populist newspapers? The 25 largest range from right to center right. There's The Nation, but that doesn't have anywhere near the circulation of a NYT or WaPo. The reason there are no major populist papers is that Wall Street won't back them and corporate advertisers won't fund them. It's not a mystery.

As I see it America's love for "unfettered capitalism" is largely rooted in its culture. Freedom and all that "shit". No doubt though the influence of big business in the media and in politics are also important factors.

It's not rooted in the culture, there's a deep tradition of left politics in American culture that goes back to the founding of the country, which is now being rooted out by the right wing propaganda of billionaire newspaper owners like Rupert Murdoch.

You brought it up, so define it.

There are any number of ways of democratizing news and media from giving people a vote on state television programing to creating public interest vouchers for media to expanding public access to radio and print.
Tech Companies Are Gathering For A Secret Meeting To Prepare A 2018 Election Strategy

Reps from up to a dozen of the US's biggest tech companies plan to meet in San Francisco to discuss efforts to counter manipulation of their platforms.

Representatives from a host of the biggest US tech companies, including Facebook and Twitter, have scheduled a private meeting for Friday to share their tactics in preparation for the 2018 midterm elections.

Last week, Facebook’s head of cybersecurity policy, Nathaniel Gleicher, invited employees from a dozen companies, including Google, Microsoft, and Snapchat, to gather at Twitter’s headquarters in downtown San Francisco, according to an email obtained by BuzzFeed News.

“As I’ve mentioned to several of you over the last few weeks, we have been looking to schedule a follow-on discussion to our industry conversation about information operations, election protection, and the work we are all doing to tackle these challenges,” Gleicher wrote.

The meeting, the Facebook official wrote, will have a three-part agenda: each company will present the work they’ve been doing to counter information operations; there will be a discussion period for problems each company faces; and a talk about whether such a meeting should become a regular occurrence.

In May, nine of those companies met at Facebook to discuss similar problems, alongside two US government representatives, Department of Homeland Security Under Secretary Chris Krebs and Mike Burham from the FBI’s Foreign Influence Task Force, created in November. Attendees left the meeting discouraged that they received little information from the government.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ke ... meeting-to

FBI Task Force to Expose Russian Social Media Manipulation
The FBI plans to alert U.S. companies and the public about efforts by Russia or other nations to use disinformation and social media manipulation to interfere in upcoming elections, while being careful not to upset free speech and constitutional rights, a top law enforcement official said.

The direction that the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s “foreign influence" task force is heading could dramatically reshape the relationship between government and social media companies in order to address vulnerabilities that enabled Russia to meddle in the 2016 election.

“We’ve been reluctant in some instances to share the amount of information of what we know about what’s happening," said Jeffrey Tricoli, a top FBI official heading the task force. “You can’t stay with the same strategy if you think there needs to be changes. So going forward there’s going to be opportunities for us to share information in better ways.”

FBI Director Christopher Wray announced late last year that the task force had been created. But almost everything about it has been secretive to date. Tricoli provided the first extensive public comments about it during an FBI conference in New York Wednesday co-sponsored by Fordham University.

The intention, Tricoli said, is to shine a light on election interference efforts while leaving it up to companies and the public to make their own decisions about what to do with disinformation, fake news or contaminated online content.

“We’re not here to be the thought police. That’s obviously, clearly, not something that we would ever want to get into," Tricoli said. “What’s important is the understanding of what’s behind the veil. Our responsibility in the government is to bring forth that visibility and that transparency to this activity. That’s what we believe is the best way forward.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nipulation
Sivad wrote:17.4% for a fact, you don't know what you're talking about.

Then next time post the sources with this number, because it isn't there.

Sivad wrote:You can stand on that lame quibble but the fact remains that nearly half the major newspapers in the US are owned by billionaires and all of them are owned by the .01%.

You showed no such thing. What's with Americans and their constant bullshitting.

Sivad wrote:What are some major populist newspapers? The 25 largest range from right to center right. There's The Nation, but that doesn't have anywhere near the circulation of a NYT or WaPo. The reason there are no major populist papers is that Wall Street won't back them and corporate advertisers won't fund them. It's not a mystery.

"left" and "right" are relative terms. Radical left-wingers like yourself always think people are more left-wing than they actually are, or at least you claim people are right-wing because they media made them that way. Breitbart is a thing (and batshit insane), I remember Slate being relatively far left. Both online newspapers though. Not surprisingly the major newspapers are center or center-left. I would actually agree with some right-wingers here that the mass media have a slight left-wing bias, at least when it comes to certain issues.

Sivad wrote:It's not rooted in the culture, there's a deep tradition of left politics in American culture that goes back to the founding of the country, which is now being rooted out by the right wing propaganda of billionaire newspaper owners like Rupert Murdoch.

That's a joke, right? The far left has been non-existent in the US. Unless your definition of far left is anti-monarchist.

Sivad wrote:There are any number of ways of democratizing news and media from giving people a vote on state television programing to creating public interest vouchers for media to expanding public access to radio and print.

Which I think would be more or less equivalent to state tv maximizing viewership, though I'm not sure you'd like that approach.
Rugoz wrote:Then next time post the sources with this number, because it isn't there.

My number is accurate, yours isn't.

You showed no such thing.

I've stated the facts, anyone can confirm those facts in 5 minutes on google.

The far left has been non-existent in the US.

Do you ever know what you're talking about?

Which I think would be more or less equivalent to state tv maximizing viewership

No.
Lolbertarians will promote ideas like "free market," private ownership, competition, etc, until their inherently autistic, selfish (in the sense of autism) thinking is inconvenient to them, like Alex Jones being banned from private websites. Why isn't Alex Jones setting up his own social media? Why isn't he using other social media platforms? Why is it "tough luck" for everyone else when someone insists they own something and don't have to share it, but these same lolbertarian supporters of Alex Jones whine and cry about the unfair system that lets someone be deprived of something because of private ownership rules and laws that prevent free access?

The above is entirely rhetorical. It's entertaining to see some lolbertarians engage in absolute and complete hypocrisy when things don't go their way. :lol:
Bulaba Jones wrote:Lolbertarians will promote ideas like "free market," private ownership, competition, etc, until their inherently autistic, selfish (in the sense of autism) thinking is inconvenient to them, like Alex Jones being banned from private websites.

I can't speak for Alex Jones, but not all libertarians have the same view of the state. I believe in the abolition of the state, but many libertarians, especially left-libertarians believe that free-access to the market is a state responsibility. Thus, unlike me, they have a problem with, lets say, a business discriminating on the basis of race. Given that these differences lie on a spectrum, that some libertarians would argue that the state should protect from discrimination, not only race, orientation, gender, religion etc., but also political affiliation, should come of no surprise.

Given their variant of libertarianism, its not inconsistent. If you believe the state is supposed to guarantee equal access to the market, it makes perfect sense that you would oppose even private companies from discriminatory practices. Some thinkers in this school who are more centrist-libertarians are arguing, especially here in the U.S., that rights guaranteed protection under the 14th amendment should be made to include political beliefs. Some have likewise posited, in relation to this, the idea of an "internet bill of rights."

This is besides the fact that its hard to say whether or not these companies are really independent of the state (truly private), many of them are acting under pressure of Congress to crack down on certain voices and many of them have received federal grants and funding and have cooperated with government agencies, so its a bit simplistic to call them "private," the Federal Reserve is technically "private" as well. In a cronyist environment, these distinctions become legal fictions. I think that should be taken into account as well.

Bulaba Jones wrote:Why isn't he using other social media platforms?

Technically many of these censored groups are using other platforms like Bitchute and Gab and these platforms are growing significantly and will continue to do so as people prefer environments where they don't have to worry about getting kicked off for saying something a bit too edgy.

I for one embrace alternative media and if we have to have a state anyway I suppose I wouldn't mind it guaranteeing equal access for people like the alt. right and ancaps.

I mean, if I am forced as a private entity, against my will, to participate with and serve people because the state has deemed them a protected race, religion, class, gender, or sexuality, I don't think its too much of a stretch for centrist-libertarians to seek adding "political affiliation" to that same list.

Once again, I would prefer total freedom for all private groups to discriminate at will, but thats not how the U.S. constitution defined its variant of libertarianism. If it were consistently applied, it will eventually protect political affiliation from private discrimination....its only a matter of time at this point.
Way to punch right bruh, I was actually giving a devil's advocate defense of you and other libertarian-views against the claim you guys were just a bunch of hypocrites, which I don't think is true even if I disagree with you. Nice to see the appreciation. :eh:

Sivad wrote:Right libertarians aren't libertarian, they're just corporate neo-feudalists.

No real disagreement there. I would call myself a Neo-Feudalist. Whats your point? I suppose you meant that as a pejorative? :lol:

Sivad wrote:They don't want to maximize liberty by expanding democracy and civil rights,

Thats because "civil rights" and "democracy" are contrary to liberty, such an operation would be self-defeating.

Sivad wrote:they just want to privatize the state.

If by "privatize the state" you mean, "abolish the state" with the functions it once monopolized being retained by individual property owners, then yes, that is correct.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:Nice to see the appreciation. :eh:

:D

Thats because "civil rights" and "democracy" are contrary to liberty, such an operation would be self-defeating.

How do you figure?

If by "privatize the state" you mean, "abolish the state" with the functions it once monopolized being retained by individual property owners, then yes, that is correct.

So basically there will be private unaccountable tyrannies taking over all state functions? Yeah, if I gotta pick my poison there I'm gonna have to go with the liberal democratic state. :lol:
Sivad wrote:How do you figure?

Keep in mind that liberty is freedom.

The "civil rights" aspect is easy, for given a lack of state, anyone is free to pursue whatever they so choose to do in theory; there is no laws forbidding any form of participation in anything, irrespective of race, religion, etc. So, if there is no state, you can "theoretically" do whatever you want, marry whoever you want, and buy whatever you want because no laws prohibit you, BUT at the same time, there is nothing forbidding people on their own property from participating with whomever they so please either. So though you are free to do as you please, that freedom does not nullify the freedom of others to not associate with you or bar you entry into their homes, businesses, and property.

On my own property, if I make a product, I should NOT be required to sell it to anyone. Its my product on my own property and I should be able to voluntarily associate or disassociate with anyone I so choose. The cardinal error in the civil rights movement was not the enfranchising of blacks politically, but their move to prohibit private discrimination.

I lack liberty if I am not free to choose who I wish to associate with. No one should have a unique right to my property and product irrespective of my will to the contrary.

Thus "civil rights" imply the sacrifice of certain liberties in others.

Regarding "democracy" the answer is split into two sections; the first section will discuss what is opposed to liberty regarding governments in-themselves, and the second will discuss what in peculiar about social contract democracies is opposed to liberty.

I. What is anti-liberty about the state in general as it applies to democracy specifically.

1. In a state of nature I have absolute liberty in the sense that no third party is restraining my free association. Whether other individuals violate my rights is a separate matter altogether and it is up to my prerogative to defend those rights by my own means. This itself is voluntary.

I must voluntarily choose to defend myself based on my own means if I want to preserve my own natural rights.

2. States exist as a third party monopolist of coercion, their institution is contrary to liberty in the sense that by being under a state, I have given up my own right to coerce wrongs done against me, I have de facto surrendered this right to the state and not only did I get nothing in exchange (except, perhaps, convenience), but I am not also forced to pay for this loss of natural rights via taxation. Not to mention, that giving the state such powers always endangers my other future liberties.

3. All states are involuntary associations in this sense, but in regards to democracy one may be tempted to say that membership in that social contract is "voluntary" because the government is designed as representative of the will of the governed; however, this is only true (at best) of majority vote, not specific and voluntary assent. Since I can remember, I have had to pay taxes that I did not consent to paying. No one asked me specifically if I wanted the services that these taxes pay for, nor did I get a choice in the matter when a % of my money was taken from me to pay for such.

On a scale of free or not-free, what is more free? The choice to pay or not pay for what I want, or being coerced under threat of force to pay for things that I did not choose?

The answer is obvious.

II. what is anti-liberty about democracy in particular.

1. to begin this section, you must understand that monarchy is superior to the social contract in regards to personal liberty for several reasons and I will argue these not as a defense of going back to monarchy per se, but only to show the particular anti-liberty aspect of all social contract governments including all parliamentary democracies.

2. It is a universal phenomena that wars after the assent of democracy in the west (WWI and on) were the bloodiest in human history, that spending, debt, and taxes are all higher than any other time in human history, and that the regulatory state is larger and more micro-managing than any other time in human history. These things are the result of an internal necessity in democratic governments that are not true of monarchies. Let me explain now in the following.

3. Monarchies were privately owned by a ruling family who was personally liable for his own estate. Monarchs did not engage in debt-accrual and deficit spending in a manner even remotely commensurate to modern social contract states because a monarch was personally liable for the state as his own property. Likewise, the value of his currency, government, property etc., were all based on his actions as a sovereign. Thus, a king was not only personally liable for his kingdom, but his own capital value was dependent on his actions.

In contrast, social contracts typically have representatives that serve terms and they are not personally liable for the debts they vote on and the capital value of the state is not "intrinsically" connected in their own minds to their own property, and so they tend to spend with impunity and raise deficits. This is because a representative's salary and influence is dependent on a popularity contest won by votes. Thus, representatives tend to offer more benefits while also showing a reluctance to raise taxes. Thus, democracies will predictably increase debts, devaluing the capital value of the state, and will have to raise some taxes just to keep from defaulting. Taxation, welfare programs, and increasing debts and debased currencies are hindrances to personal liberty (something I hope I shouldn't have to explain to a libertarian, of any stripe).

4. Monarchies had to personally hire their armies from their own purse because excessive taxation and oppression put them at risk of being overthrown. Hence, monarchies tend to wage smaller wars over concrete goals regarding territorial disputes etc., such wars are less gruesome as they are wars which are often fought between noble families that are usually related by marriage in some manner (so certain lines aren't likely to be crossed regarding cruelty etc)., lastly, monarchs are not as likely to piss of the nobility in their own lands with excessive taxes (and thus excessive wars etc), because it puts their own family and estate at risk.

By contrast, a representative governement has not nearly so much to lose in waging expensive wars, raising taxes, and infringing upon rights, for representatives are not likely to lose their own life, estate, or family like a deposed king would. Thus, representatives having no familial relationship to the democracies of other nations, and able to raise massive armies on public debt via outrageous taxes, can wage likewise massive and impersonal wars.

The rights of citizens via more taxes and regulations at worse can only lead to a party being temporarily deposed until the next voting cycle.

All of this is predictable given human nature (praxeology).

Hence democracies tend towards the increased growth of the state because personal liability and private ownership is removed from the principle of governance that existed under monarchy. Thus states can increase taxes, debts, deficits, wars, military size, and regulations in a way that was impossible even under even the absolutist monarchs. Do you really think Louis XIV could have survived had he passed a decree equivalent to America's prohibition on alcohol? He would have been sent to guillotine within 48 hours because he was responsible and would have been seen as such (rightfully so). Not so easy in a republic, for the masses are not likely going to track down 200 representatives, not all of which voted for the measure, and decapitate them, especially when they are temporarily in office via terms and will justly rebut; "well you voted me in, so its partly your fault!"

Sivad wrote:So basically there will be private unaccountable tyrannies taking over all state functions?

Besides the fact that nature will prevent a single family under stateless conditions from ascending to the size of our current states (that we would rightfully call tyrannical), one must ask what keeps you from becoming a tyrant yourself? That seems like a defeatist attitude. I for one intend to set up my family of humble origins to be of the aristocracy in the age to come :lol:

Under decentralized conditions in western europe in the late middle-ages through the renaissance their were hundreds of independent manors, duchies, fiefdoms, small kingdoms, alliances, and free-cities. This is what it would look like without a state. In Arizona, you would likely have 50 little regional powers, all privately owned. Phoenix would likely be a free city state, outside of Tucson ranchers with 16,000 acres would be their own lords with a large peasantry and their own privately funded security force. You would have more options than you have now, more mobility, and the ability to choose a territorial ruler with laws that you like best.

You could join a voluntary commune in the desert, become a serf for a rancher in exchange for security, move to a free-city to become an artist, etc., much like the polymaths could during the renaissance often did, jumping from venice to lombardy to a swiss canton etc.

That is liberty.
Beren wrote:If you're a Neo-Feudalist, how do you believe in the abolition of the state, @Victoribus Spolia? You should be a monarchist rather than an anarchist then.

I have no problem with a landed aristocracy that rules over peasants on their own lands that are contracted under such in proprietorship, which is basically feudalism.

Not all fiefdoms were under the authority of a monarch, many were independent manors.

I don't have much of a problem with small minarchist monarchies like existed in the medieval era, except that they are still monopolists of coercions over regional land-owners whether they were lords or free-holders.

I would accept the term "Anarcho-Monarchist" which means I see the value in a revered, but ultimately symoblic, unifying ruler that has power by means distinct from being a state; like the medieval papacy's influence in germany or the emperor's rule during the Japanese warring states period (neither of which monopolized coercion); however, at base, my position is Anarcho-Capitalism and a Natural Order society.
Twitter suspends Alex Jones:

After weeks of equivocation, Twitter today permanently suspended the accounts of Infowars and Alex Jones, following similar moves by other large tech companies, including Apple, Facebook, YouTube, and Spotify. The decision came after series of provocations from Infowars founder Jones that Twitter deemed in violation of its "abusive behavior" rules.

The incident that inspired Twitter to action appears to have been a series of tweets containing a 9-minute Periscope video of Jones confronting CNN reporter Oliver Darcy. In the video, Jones and his camera men confront Darcy while Jones lambastes him as " the equivalent of like the Hitler Youth" and accuses him of "smiling like a possum that crawled out of the rear end of a dead cow."
The incident that inspired Twitter to action appears to have been a series of tweets containing a 9-minute Periscope video of Jones confronting CNN reporter Oliver Darcy. In the video, Jones and his camera men confront Darcy while Jones lambastes him as " the equivalent of like the Hitler Youth" and accuses him of "smiling like a possum that crawled out of the rear end of a dead cow."

Let's be honest, Twitter banned Alex for harassing a CNN reporter in real life, not on the platform.

I honestly don't see any difference between what happened with Serena Williams at the US Open yesterday and Alex Jones confronting and insulting a CNN reporter.

Williams berating the ref over a perceived bad call that she thought caused her to lose the game yesterday. She yelled and screamed at him, called him a thief and basically a liar.

Jones and Williams literally did the exact same thing offline, although one can make the argument that Serena was much more abusive than Jones.

Should Twitter should also hold Serena Williams to the same standards for the offline behavior of verbally abusing a tennis referee, and ban ESPN, or any news outlet that posted video of it?

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O