US student debt balloons past $1.5tn - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Financial Times wrote:US student debt balloons past $1.5tnBy Robin Wigglesworth

The US student loan burden has swelled past $1.5tn despite actual lending volumes falling for more than half a decade, as struggling students fall behind on their payment plans and debt relief programmes fail to offer sufficient succour.

The overall size of US student debt has grown by $500bn since the 2010-11 academic year, according to a report by S&P Global, but the credit rating agency notes that loan origination has declined every year since then.

That has been caused by payment adjustment schemes that offer some short-term relief but add to the overall long-term burden by reducing the minimum payment without lowering the interest rate, according to John Anglim of S&P.

“By reducing the payments, they allow borrowers to stay current, but the balance keeps growing. That’s what we’re seeing now,” he said. “If the government is serious and concerned about growing student debt, then we need to come up with a broader plan rather than one that just helps a select few.”

Student debt has emerged in recent years as a big concern for American households, politicians and policymakers, who fret that the rising burden is a long-term drag on the US economy by stymieing the ability of people to buy a home or start a business.

“A significant portion of the millennial generation has gone bankrupt before it could start building wealth, which is a — still-unaddressed — threat to the long-term health of the US economy,” Vincent Deluard, a strategist at INTL FCStone, said in a report.

The US student loan delinquency rate — how many loan balances are overdue by 30 days or more that were not delinquent in the previous quarter — fell to a 12-year low of 8.8 per cent in the second quarter of 2018, according to New York Federal Reserve data.

The decline is largely thanks to the strong economy and robust jobs market. The unemployment rate for graduates with a bachelors degree or higher now stands at just 2.2 per cent in the US, compared with 5.1 per cent for those with less than a high-school degree and 4 per cent for high school graduates who spent no time in college.

The size of the pool of bonds backed by student loans has also gradually declined, from $242.6bn a decade ago to $175.6bn at the end of the second quarter, according to data from the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association.

Nonetheless, student debt remains the worst-performing area of consumer credit. Brookings, the think-tank, warned in a January report that according to the default trends of past age cohorts, as many as 40 per cent of borrowers could default on their student loans by 2023.

There are various programmes designed to offer some debt relief, such as the “Revised Pay As You Earn” scheme introduced at the end of 2015, but these are in practice not helping whittle down the overall student debt burden, S&P’s report argued.

The rating agency said the failure of these income-determined repayment plans to whittle down the overall student debt pile was because of “misplaced” incentives that will in practice simply shift the burden over to the government.

“We underestimate how much this will cost the government over the next 20 years if it just has to eventually forgive them,” Mr Anglim said.
Non pedigree generic college degrees have clearly morphed into a scam. I secured a non pedigree generic college degree in the 1960's. The tuition rate during my first year when extended out over 4 years would give a degree for $3000. Yes, $3000 for a 4 year degree. Today tuition at the same school for the same degree is $47,000 per year. I landed a job with an international company after graduating on my first interview. Within 2 months I was touring international divisions. Today it's ,"I sent out 200 resumes on the internet and got 2 responses."

I had a plumber working in my basement recently @$150/hr. If I had a kid he wouldn't be wasting his time going in for a worthless overpriced degree. He/she would be training for a plumbing or electrician job.
jimjam wrote:Non pedigree generic college degrees have clearly morphed into a scam. I secured a non pedigree generic college degree in the 1960's. The tuition rate during my first year when extended out over 4 years would give a degree for $3000. Yes, $3000 for a 4 year degree. Today tuition at the same school for the same degree is $47,000 per year. I landed a job with an international company after graduating on my first interview. Within 2 months I was touring international divisions. Today it's ,"I sent out 200 resumes on the internet and got 2 responses."

I had a plumber working in my basement recently @$150/hr. If I had a kid he wouldn't be wasting his time going in for a worthless overpriced degree. He/she would be training for a plumbing or electrician job.

It's amazing what four decades of neoliberalism will do to a nation.... :lol:
jimjam wrote:I had a plumber working in my basement recently @$150/hr. If I had a kid he wouldn't be wasting his time going in for a worthless overpriced degree. He/she would be training for a plumbing or electrician job.

Of course, plumbers are useful and too rare. Silly people with silly degrees are a dime a dozen and completely useless.
jimjam wrote:Non pedigree generic college degrees have clearly morphed into a scam. I secured a non pedigree generic college degree in the 1960's. The tuition rate during my first year when extended out over 4 years would give a degree for $3000. Yes, $3000 for a 4 year degree. Today tuition at the same school for the same degree is $47,000 per year. I landed a job with an international company after graduating on my first interview. Within 2 months I was touring international divisions. Today it's ,"I sent out 200 resumes on the internet and got 2 responses."

The college wage premium is larger than ever though.

The question is whether college education actually increases productivity or whether it simply serves as a screening device for firms (i.e. "that applicant went to a good college so he should be capable of doing the job").
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Yuval Noah Harari about MAGA​: https://youtu.be/W[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbl_6RDhkM :D […]