The Kavanaugh Circus Could Destroy the Me Too Movement - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Drlee wrote:The problem for democrats is simple. They are running against a party that need not tell the truth because none of their followers care whether they do or not. They are mostly single-issue voters who only watch Fox News and simply do not have a clue about the truth and no desire to know it. Look at the gun issue. Advocate for banning violent felons from owning guns and the republicans simply claim that the democrats want to come to your house and confiscate your guns. Simple.

Lies have the same power as the truth when you are dealing with people who want them to be true.

Curious, do you really think Ford was credible? This looks like projection to me and I think these kinds of arguments alienate people who don't respond to the leftist "dog whistle" against Kavanaugh.
Curious, do you really think Ford was credible? This looks like projection to me and I think these kinds of arguments alienate people who don't respond to the leftist "dog whistle" against Kavanaugh.

I have already explained this. Last try.

It does not matter. My opinion? Yes I think she was credible. So what? And I know of no person certified Christian hero. All of us have done stuff we should not have done. In the ensuing years Kavanaugh has had a pretty good career. I do not see evidence that he is a serial abuser like Cosby or Weinstein. There are plenty of good reasons to oppose Kavanaugh other than this. I won't rehash them.

Look. I have nothing to lose and some to gain in his appointment. I am an affluent, straight white male. He will, for a generation, assiduously protect my privilege from attack by the forces of progressiveness. He will, in all likelihood, be on the court longer than I will live. He is, after all, 14 years younger than I am.

But here is the deal. We do not suffer from a lack of divisiveness in this country. We are torn apart by political tribalism driven by a small group of the very wealthy. A great many Americans have lost all confidence in their government and the concept that it is first and foremost a government of all of the people. And they should feel this way. Unlike when I was a kid. Many years ago we had political division. Strong political division. But there was little doubt that at the end of the day, the government wanted what was good for the people. No longer. Our current government does not even claim to want that.

Kavanaugh was deeply divisive. He could very easily been replaced with someone even more conservative who would not, for decades to come, be the poster child for disdain for the life experiences of a great many women. It does not even matter if a majority of women think he should be confirmed. He is simply to controversial and partisan to sit on the court. He will see that soon. I hope. And when he does realize that he no longer owes political allegiance to any party or any person.

Some things, Hong Wu, are more important than the individual. They are more important than some momentary political victory. This was not about putting a conservative on the court. The republicans could have done that before the election and selected someone far more conservative than Kavanaugh. This was about a pure political victory, yet again, at the expense of our very national identity. We bitch slapped a lot of women back into their 'place'.

So I really don't care who is telling the truth. I care what is good for the country in the long haul. Disenfranchising millions of women, even women who are your political foes, is not good for the country. There are many women now who believe that the republican party is anti-woman. It is. It has demonstrated that it does not care one bit about what the majority of them think. All they care about are the few who will do what their husbands, pastors and pundits tell them to do. They have done the math and think this will work.

You dismiss the millions of women who oppose Kavanaugh as responding to a "leftist dog whistle". Perhaps you are young. Perhaps you do not realize how deeply disturbing and personal events like the one that was alleged to have happened to Dr. Ford are to women who have had the same humiliations in their own lives.

You have not been sexually assaulted. You have not felt helpless, violated and abused with absolutely nothing you can do about it and perhaps even at a very young age. This kind of shit is not uncommon. Using the word attempted rape does a disservice to what this kind of thing is. Rape calls forth the need for a trial and the conviction of an individual. This kind of thing is, in many ways, worse than a single incident of rape. It points to the status of the entire sex. Men do this shit all of the time in greater and lesser degrees. Almost every woman has experienced it. We call upon women to take a greater roll in our society. We ask them to be leaders in business, politics and the professions. But when it comes to making them truly equal to men we put forward as candidates men like Roy Moore and now Kavanaugh.

If Kavanaugh did not do this (and he very well might not have) then I am truly sorry for him and that he has had to endure what he has so far. If he did not do what he is accused of having done then this is a profoundly sad turn of events. And it is not over. This will follow him to the end of his days. Like Clarence Thomas he will always be painted with suspicion. It will cloud his every decision. It will haunt him when he is called upon to speak. A Supreme Court Justice should be one of the most respected men and women in our country. He will have been robbed of that.

And that is why, had I been him, I would have withdrawn for the good of the country. Innocent though I know myself to be, I would realize that I am not the person to sit on the highest court of the land. I would realize that some things are more important than my winning a battle. That they are more important than my ego. Had Kavanaugh been a military man he might have understood something about taking one for the team.

The only thing Kavanaugh won was a seat on the court. In the eyes of history and most of us watching he was not exonerated of the charges. He was put in office for purely political reasons after a sham investigation by a few FBI agents with their hands tied behind their backs. I forget who said it but one of the commentators I saw said that the FBI was the best friend of an innocent man. Kavanaugh was robbed even of the exoneration that, if he really didn't do it, would have awaited him at the end of an exhaustive FBI probe. If he is innocent, Kavanaugh was a victim of a political process that denied him the opportunity to have his name cleared once and for all.

Did I answer your question Hong Wu? Are you going to read this honest answer and consider it or make another trolling post to dismiss it? No doubt Blackjack will stop by and grade my stream-of-thought grammar but then that is about all he is capable of doing. What about you? What do you think happened? What do you think history will say? Can you be serious long enough to answer my questions as I have answered yours?
Drlee wrote:There are plenty of good reasons to oppose Kavanaugh other than this. I won't rehash them.

That has to be the bitter part of this defeat for you. The Democratic party decided against the high road, and opponents of Kavanaugh have no understanding of why they would oppose him if they had taken the time to understand strict constructionism. The Democrats not only have contempt for the working class white voters they lost in 2016, they have such contempt for their remaining voters that they didn't bother to elucidate to their supporters a high minded reason they might oppose Kavanaugh.

Drlee wrote:We are torn apart by political tribalism driven by a small group of the very wealthy.

Yes. One of the subtexts of this drama is that Trump forced the #NeverTrump types to fall-in. George H.W. Bush (in the twilight of his life) and George W. Bush worked the phones.

Drlee wrote:All they care about are the few who will do what their husbands, pastors and pundits tell them to do.

It may be that they identify as white, or married before they identify as women. Gender politics has been a huge failure for the left for such a long time, it's a wonder why they continue with it.

Drlee wrote:Men do this shit all of the time in greater and lesser degrees.

Right. Any decent anthropologist or devout Darwinian could tell you exactly why too. Yet, gender politics decided to try to put women on an equal footing with men, in spite of the entirety of human civilization and knowledge of the sexual behavior of other species as well. As men, we could have literally hundreds of children and nothing happens to us physically. A woman will die in childbirth at some point, usually after 8-10 children. Men have no in-built inclination to choose sex partners wisely. By contrast, women do not only refuse sex partners, but inspire competition among them. That's why football is such a popular sport.

Drlee wrote:We call upon women to take a greater roll in our society. We ask them to be business, politics and the professions. But when it comes to making them truly equal to men we put forward as candidates men like Roy Moore and now Kavanaugh.

That's the problem with Western ideology. We are not all created equal. Science demonstrates that emphatically. Treating women like men has not been good for women.

Drlee wrote:If Kavanaugh did not do this (and he very well might not have) then I am truly sorry for him that he had to endure what he has so far. If he did not do what he is accused of having done then this is a profoundly sad turn of events. And it is not over. This will follow him to the end of his days. Like Clarence Thomas he will always be painted with suspicion. It will cloud his every decision. It will haunt him when he is called upon to speak. A Supreme Court Justice should be one of the most respected men and women in our country. He will have been robbed of that.

Perhaps. However, this sort of chicanery has to be defeated forcefully or it will metastasize like a cancer. This was far worse than what Clarence Thomas experienced. Thomas has turned out to be a brilliant jurist. I hope the same for Kavanaugh.

Drlee wrote:In the eyes of history and most of us watching he was not exonerated of the charges.

Indeed, he was never charged. There is no statute of limitations. However, he would be easily exonerated if Blasey-Ford wanted to file an affidavit of probable cause. She won't do it, because defeat would be imminent.

Drlee wrote:No doubt Blackjack will stop by and grade my stream-of-though{sic} grammar but then that is about all he is capable of doing.

Bwhahahaha! Did you do that on purpose? If so, funny. Otherwise, it is some sort of nervous tic.
I don't know why he wastes so much time responding to your crazy posts either.

Just because they are way over your head does not mean that they are way over everyone else's.
Drlee wrote:Have you failed to realize yet that you insulted me one too many times for me to waste any more time fiddling with you?

I can't be bothered to read his ramblings either. I think his ridiculously long posts are his way of gaining the attention he lacks. Besides, if I did argue, his finale would be Fake News. These guys think it's their win, if you can't show definite proof. The reality is, unless somethings true by definition, it's pretty much unprovable. But look at Hindsite, our resident Christen: there are Buckets of arguments for and against God and Christ, but he chooses to believe. But another poster would counter it's erroneous, or Fake. You and I know whether we're writing about Hannibal and his elephants, reason is required. And that's were fake news breaks down.
@Drlee
OK I get your reasoning.
Yes he could have withdrawn from the candidacy but I am certain that his opponents would have seen that as an admission of guilt.
Moreover, I abhor all character assassination attempts and I am happy that Ford, Feinstein and all the others didn't get away with it. They pooped on the carpet and now they have to smell it.
@Drlee
OK I get your reasoning.
Yes he could have withdrawn from the candidacy but I am certain that his opponents would have seen that as an admission of guilt.
Moreover, I abhor all character assassination attempts and I am happy that Ford, Feinstein and all the others didn't get away with it. They pooped on the carpet and now they have to smell it.

That is true enough. This was a huge gamble on the part of the democrats and they have not scored the victory they wanted.

Had he withdrawn those who believe him would still believe him and those who do not would see it as proof. This whole issue is wrapped in confirmation bias.

I do not like these ancient crimes and misdemeanors either. As sympathetic as I am to the victims (and they are legion) I think they sometimes do more harm than good. Clearly this has awakened many in the republican base. I do not, however, believe this will have legs with them but it certainly will with democrats.

In the end both sides are playing for the independents. Independents are not necessarily centrists. What they will do remains to be seen.
Stormsmith wrote:I can't be bothered to read his ramblings either. I think his ridiculously long posts are his way of gaining the attention he lacks. Besides, if I did argue, his finale would be Fake News. These guys think it's their win, if you can't show definite proof. The reality is, unless somethings true by definition, it's pretty much unprovable. But look at Hindsite, our resident Christen: there are Buckets of arguments for and against God and Christ, but he chooses to believe. But another poster would counter it's erroneous, or Fake. You and I know whether we're writing about Hannibal and his elephants, reason is required. And that's were fake news breaks down.

People have different posting styles. How about we don't discourage people from posting and not make our critique personal?

Care: 73 Fairness: 77 Liberty: 83 In-group: 70 Pur[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]