Is Fascism Coming To America? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
SpecialOlympian wrote:Solarcross I was thinking of responding but you seem to be engaged in deep conversation with a strawman. I'll leave you and the scarecrow to it.

I wasn't being personal; it's a common failing after all.
Torus34 wrote:Certain trends in the United States of America coincide with characteristics ascribed to a fascist nation. We might, if we're willing to look hard enough, find something going on in almost any advanced democracy which whispers, 'fascism'. That said, there's a considerable distance yet to go in the good old US of A.

What we're seeing is the playing out of a charismatic [Ed.: To some,] demagogue as President. Add in the President's apparently limited ability for self-reflection and you've got a good handle on it. The followers are, in essence, a cult of personality. Their allegiance to their fearless leader is informed by emotion, not rationality.

The US will emerge from this period a somewhat different nation.

I gave this one about an 80% chance of being a 2 response dud with both responses being vapid and angry. I thought it had some clear relevancy to the times though so I let it go. It was not intended as a commentary on Donald although the connection would be difficult to ignore.

Personally I see some fascist trends in America that have started before Don burst upon the scene. A growing gap between haves and have nots with the resulting anger ripe for being capitalized on. Vast improvements in communication with it's obvious propaganda opportunities. No shortage of examples of the Republican Plutocratic Party stacking the deck to consolidate power. Arrival on the scene of a charismatic con artist adept at mesmerizing and entertaining pissed off dummies. etc.

I am counting on and think that America's system of checks and balances will prevent, in the long run, one gang of crooks from gaining full control. I hope I am right because, as we all know, absolute power corrupts absolutely and there is hell to pay when that chemistry plays out.
Speaking only for myself, I view the accomplishments of an administration or a congress in terms of the effect, if any, upon the citizens of the country. A 'good' economy is that which benefits all, and not just the wealthy. A 'good' medical system is measured, in part, by its ability to deliver necessary care to all people regardless of its affordability to some. That there are many areas in which America can be made greater is a given. There are other ways of being great beside military might.
Torus34 wrote:Speaking only for myself, I view the accomplishments of an administration or a congress in terms of the effect, if any, upon the citizens of the country. A 'good' economy is that which benefits all, and not just the wealthy. A 'good' medical system is measured, in part, by its ability to deliver necessary care to all people regardless of its affordability to some. That there are many areas in which America can be made greater is a given. There are other ways of being great beside military might.

I guess we can vigorously agree to agree on this. My seemingly archaic view of a "good" government is one that delivers the greatest good to the largest number of citizens. This is, of course, a value judgement. My personal values judge a health care system that denies adequate health care to millions while financing redundant billionaire middlemen as a symptom of a government for and by lobbyists, not citizens. Examples abound. A $1,500,000,000,000 tax cut slanted massively toward already super rich folks piled on top ao unfathomable debt, etc. etc. etc.

Sadly, little red beanies and a flood of jingoistic flag waving crap is equated in the minds of the mentally challenged with "greatness". A superficial study of history will find this to be a common characteristic of many past fascist governments.
No matter how and when the Trump presidency ends, the specter of illiberalism will continue to haunt American politics. A highly politicized judiciary will remain, in which close Supreme Court decisions will be viewed by many as of dubious legitimacy, and future judicial appointments will be fiercely contested. The racial division, cultural conflict, and political polarization Trump has encouraged and intensified will be difficult to heal. Gerrymandering, voter suppression, and uncontrolled campaign spending will continue to result in elections skewed in an unrepresentative and undemocratic direction. Growing income disparity will be extremely difficult to halt, much less reverse.

The threat to the United States isn’t so much Trump alone as it is the breakdown in the practice of American democracy, and the Republican Party’s commitment to extreme tactics in pursuit of its policy goals in particular.

We are living through a period of serious threat to American democracy
Reality check: for the first time in decades, Republicans control all three branches of government (executive, both houses of the legislature, judiciary). The economy, happiness levels and the national security situations are all at record highs. His opponents are historic caricatures who often self-describe as pacifists against due process. I'll be praying that this situation continues beyond the midterms.
Libertarian353 wrote:@Hong Wu

You really want that race war.

His brain is so irony poisoned by 4chan that he thinks the /pol/ posters, should they ever emerge from their basements and assume power, will appreciate him being a Useful Idiot for them.
SpecialOlympian wrote:His brain is so irony poisoned by 4chan that he thinks the /pol/ posters, should they ever emerge from their basements and assume power, will appreciate him being a Useful Idiot for them.

This is what confuse me, we don't like Asians and see them as a threat.
*Half-assedly reads Julian Ebola*

"Hmmm, yes, I assume that I, as a non white person, would benefit immensely from a white ethnostate. Thank you for the literature recommendations, /pol/, the only friend I have ever had."
Libertarian353 wrote:@Hong Wu

You really want that race war.

Why don't you just call him a Twinkie? Yellow on the outside, white on the inside... That's what you are really trying to say, isn't it?
I'm only part Asian btw. One of the reasons I'm out here in the Chinese world (which includes Taiwan, Hong Kong and to a lesser degree Singapore by my definition) is because I'm wondering where all of the upper class people who aren't pussies went. You have tough working class people in America, then you have these incredibly pussified middle to upper class people who have somehow convinced themselves that they're communists even though they aren't working class, so someone like me just didn't feel at home in California. Not that I don't stick out in China, even more overtly than I do in the US.
Hong Wu wrote:I'm only part Asian btw.

An elliot roger type. You still hate minorities and including Asians,since now we target China. So you're uncle lu and a cuck.

Hong Wu wrote: You have tough working class people in America

Whose lives don't matter and about to work longer thanks to trump. Suicides are high among white males, so you just accelerated it. You made Black superior folks happy.
Reading through the last series of comments, I was struck by the possibility that Gresham's law might profitably be tweaked to apply to political discourse. I may be wrong, of course. Would anyone care to discuss further?
You know I'm not too vested in the whole Fascism V. Communism debate. I certainly haven't met my perfect straw woman who I could argue the point with forever, unlike weird meat shits guy.

But I kind a feel like when it comes down to the point where you're arguing who had the bigger death toll then maybe both ideologies are losers and you're arguing from the standpoint of a loser ideology? I don't know, I'm not a big brained genius who worships dictators in my avatar

"Uh,ACTUALLY, if you do your research, my ideology has killed LESS people" kind of just seems like a bad place to start a conversation on why your ideology is good and cool. Just sayin', from a sales perspective, not the the point you want to lead off with. Definitely not a strong selling point.

Like, if I were going to sell someone on the dividend equity strategy my company manages I deffo wouldn't start off by talking about how we bankrupted less people than our competitors. Just seems like a really weak starting point by bragging about how we failed less.
Torus34 wrote:Reading through the last series of comments, I was struck by the possibility that Gresham's law might profitably be tweaked to apply to political discourse. I may be wrong, of course. Would anyone care to discuss further?

I don't think so. It seems to me that all political discourse is worthless hot air with a worthless face value. The "value" of political discourse to myself is strictly personal. I use it as a venting mechanism which serves to balance my mental health. My political discourse has zero value to the world at large.
jimjam wrote:I don't think so. It seems to me that all political discourse is worthless hot air with a worthless face value. The "value" of political discourse to myself is strictly personal. I use it as a venting mechanism which serves to balance my mental health. My political discourse has zero value to the world at large.

Sir, thank you for your response. I use on-line political posting to help refine my own thinking. Though much of the commentary to my posts falls into ad hominem and similar categories, there's always that carefully reasoned response or, sometimes, a flash of insight that helps me to modify what I believe. I do this 'in order to form a more perfect union' between the concepts I hold dear.

Regards.

No, Rancid, I think a lot of the people who voted[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is the issue. It is not changing. https://y[…]

@annatar1914 do not despair. Again, el amor pu[…]

I think we really have to ask ourselves what t[…]