Migrant Caravan from Guatemala Approaching US, Just in Time for the Midterms! - Page 19 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
XogGyux wrote:We have not arrived to this point yet. It probably will and likely this will be a heated argument a few decades from now. Ongoing “experiments” are going on some countries as we speak and that’s a different whole different topic that deserves a thread of its own and not be discussed as an afterthought in this thread. I invite you to open a thread if you really want to discuss that topic.

You introduced the topic, not me. You present an argument and then call my reply off topic? Maybe you should not have introduced an argument for immigration if you knew it was irrelevant.
Albert wrote:It is hopeless @One Degree. It is astonishing that Pants and Stud have been on this forum for years. This topic has been put to death and they have been proven wrong so many times it is not even funny. How these people are still able to hold their views is beyond me. I hope for their sake they are trolling.

I predict that you are unable to correctly describe what my position is on immigration from Latin America.
There is no argument. It is a fact like gravity! If you have immigrants arriving and competing for jobs with the natives wages fall! Hence the working class always complaining that immigrants are taking our jobs! Because it is freaggin true! Like omg people seriously?

Even the study that Pants provided that there is wages depreciation because of immigration at certain sectors of economy. Guess what sectors are most effected by this, you guest it the low skilled working class jobs. The study then goes then to say oh but it is all lie and not a big deal, it is a lie.

The establishment and the media puts out these "studies" and you people buy into it because of confirmation bias. It is all bullock.

Hindsite wrote:Don't you mean illegal immigrants coming across our southern border? I don't think that would apply to all immigrants.
Legal immigration has the same impact because the volume is high anyways. Granted it is not the same impact because you can not simply cheat illegal migrants.
Hindsite wrote:Don't you mean illegal immigrants coming across our southern border? I don't think that would apply to all immigrants.

Immigrants can not provide an upward pressure on wages even at the highest levels. All immigrants increase the labor supply.
One Degree wrote:You introduced the topic, not me. You present an argument and then call my reply off topic? Maybe you should not have introduced an argument for immigration if you knew it was irrelevant.

I mentioned universal income as an afterthought and observation of how some people think this problem of automation will eventually have to be addressed. It was not meant to be part of this discussion as it is irrelevant, there are still billions of jobs at present and universal income is not anywhere close to be relevant for many years to come.
Nice try trying to derail the topic though.
XogGyux wrote:I mentioned universal income as an afterthought and observation of how some people think this problem of automation will eventually have to be addressed. It was not meant to be part of this discussion as it is irrelevant, there are still billions of jobs at present and universal income is not anywhere close to be relevant for many years to come.
Nice try trying to derail the topic though.

You just admitted you tried to derail it. Unfrigginbelievable. You introducing an irrelevant topic is hardly my fault except in lala land,
Last edited by One Degree on 16 Nov 2018 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Albert wrote:There is no argument. It is a fact like gravity! If you have immigrants arriving and competing for jobs with the natives wages fall! Hence the working class always complaining that immigrants are taking our jobs! Because it is freaggin true! Like omg people seriously?

Even the study that Pants provided that there is wages depreciation because of immigration at certain sectors of economy. Guess what sectors are most effected by this, you guest it the low skilled working class jobs. The study then goes then to say oh but it is all lie and not a big deal, it is a lie.

The establishment and the media puts out these "studies" and you people buy into it because of confirmation bias. It is all bullock.

Legal immigration has the same impact because the volume is high anyways. Granted it is not the same impact because you can not simply cheat illegal migrants.

Where is the proof for your claim?
YOu know. A smart guy didn’t just woke up one day and said “wow, I have an idea, I’m gonna call it gravity and voila” People had to study the phenomenom, device experiments and tests those and then develop a theory, test it, and after a lot of testing you call it gravity.

Where is the proof?
Omg, I just told you, American history of 200 years or so. It is just basic fact of economics. UhhahhhHa!

I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm not saying this to shite on immigrants because vile racism, I'm myself an immigrant. It is just a facccctttt!!!

Frig the most recent example I can think of my head atm, is couple of years back Russia who also has an illegal migrant problem deported thousands of them out of Moscow and major cities. Guess what, I was reading cleaning job wages went up like 30-50%. They had the same argument there too, like oh, the natives do not want to do those job. Guess what when wages went up natives showed up and did those jobs. Business continued as usual.

Then there is the whole problem with capital flight as illegals would send money out of the country to their relatives instead of the money being spend on local economy.
Last edited by Albert on 16 Nov 2018 03:11, edited 2 times in total.
XogGyux wrote:I did not do such thing. I simply mentioned something as part of my analysis and it was not meant for you to discuss, as I specifically mentioned in my previous post and you are conveniently ignoring because you are a troll 8) .

You introduced something you did not want discussed? Why? How is this my fault even in your lala land?
Albert wrote:There is no argument. It is a fact like gravity! If you have immigrants arriving and competing for jobs with the natives wages fall! Hence the working class always complaining that immigrants are taking our jobs! Because it is freaggin true! Like omg people seriously?

The evidence disagrees with you.

Your only rebuttal to this evidence is to claim it is a lie. You provide no evidence for this claim.

And you still cannot describe what my position is.
"No. They are both self evident"

No they aren't.

Three of the states with the highest populations of immigrants are New York, California and Arizona.

All three states are among the 10 states with the highest minimum wage. So there is obviously little effective downward pressure on wages. (Remember that most illegal immigrants work legit jobs and pay taxes.

But maybe they are displacing citizen workers?

Come on OneDegree. Come on Albert. Come on Hindsite. Let's get those immigration officers off of the border and into the local Marriott, farmer's fields and the kitchen of your favorite pub. Let's check documents there and when we find illegal workers arrest the owners and managers who knowingly hired these workers. You can arrest the workers too if it will make you feel better. About one week of this and every congressman in America would be crying for Amnesty.

All three of these states have historically low unemployment rates. All under 5% which is considered by economists to be full employment.

But what happens if the unemployment rate drops too much? Inflation happens.

Wouldn't it be fun to see what would happen if we deported 30 million workers like some mental midgets believe we ought to?

I also note that some here are carping about people who do not work. One number forwarded was 50 million chronically unemployed. This number is, of course, just made up. The Labor Department puts the number of unemployed and just over 7 million people.

One of the problems of figuring this stuff out is determining how many people work in the "gig" economy. I do. This week I am unemployed. That is if you consider that I do not have a specific job for which I am being paid this week. Next week I will earn what a minimum wage worker earns in four months. But for all of the statistic makers I appear to be unemployed unless you look at income.

Another group that is not considered is the one comprised of young retirees. There are a growing number of them. They combine inherited money with the occasional gig and simply do not work in an traditional sense.

Then, in the gig economy, are many illegal aliens. They do gigs. Today they paint, tomorrow they mow and Sunday they help someone move. What do they earn? Around here (Arizona) about $15 - $20 per hour. Or about $100 - $150 per day if you pay them that way. These folks are making reasonably good money when you consider that they do not pay taxes on it for the most part. (And this is true whether they are here legally or were born here when it comes to this kind of job.)

So figure one of these guys works 5 days a week and averages $600.00 per week. That is over $30,000 tax free. Share a house with 4 or five other guys doing the same thing and you can support your family in Honduras and have enough left over for some beers and plenty of food.

Are they bad for the economy? How could they be? Sending money outside of the country is problematic but imagine the inflation if everyone had to pay contractor rates for these jobs? Talk about inflation. That would eat up American wealth a lot faster than a few billion sent to other countries. These same people buy health insurance, food, housing, cars, Iphones and rubber duckies. Lots of rubber duckies. So that money goes right back into the economy and, with the exception of the income tax, taxed just like your money and mine.

Is it possible for illegal workers to drive down wages? You bet. But here is the deal. They are not driving down the wages of workers working above board except for in a few very limited fields. But we really don't need to develop a farm-worker career path. I am OK with paying $4.00 for a tomato. Are you? Are you willing to pay $3.00 per head for lettuce?

Sometimes I have a job or two done around the house. I speak Spanish and in my neighborhood there are plenty of people doing odd jobs. Some may be here illegally and some are most definitely not. I don't ask. It is none of my business.

One more point. I work the gig economy. I pay my taxes (including self-employment taxes). Even as old as I am I could easily get a real job. I don't want one. I like being the boss. I like controlling how much I earn by acquiring new skills and increasing the hours in which I work. (Or don't work.) How am I so different from that yard man I just paid $150.00 for trimming my trees? One major way. Because so many people are out to deport him, he can't even consider paying taxes on what he earns. He can't get a bank account. He risks arrest if he uses someone else's social security number, etc.

Reagan figured this out and gave amnesty to a shit ton of illegals. These folks now are paying taxes, building the economy and generally behaving just like the rest of us.

I want controlled immigration. I want employers to have to play by the rules. But that is where it starts. If you "nationalists" want white legal workers to have first choice then you had better be willing to put a few employers in jail to get it. You had better be willing to shut down some pretty big employers to make your point. And you had better be willing to pay $200.00 a night for a bottom tier motel, $50.00 for dinner at that hotel and $4.00 for that tomato you need to finish off your $10.00 salad.
Albert wrote:Omg, I just told you, American history of 200 years or so. It is just basic fact of economics. UhhahhhHa!

I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm not saying this to shite on immigrants because vile racism, I'm myself an immigrant. It is just a facccctttt!!!

If its facccttttt then you have no trouble finding proooffff and posting it.
The only proof I see in the last 200 years of American history is that American welcomed immigrants from all countries, Italians, Germans, Asians and it became by far the greatest empire and economic powerhouse that we are today. Asians were a big drive in the building of the transcontinental railroad that built the wealth of Vanderbilt, Rockefeller and Carnegie, Germans spearheaded in the development of the whole field of nuclear physics and rocketry and Italians were instrumental in building our great cities just to name a few. The US economy BOOMED and grew exponentially at the same time that it opened its doors to the world.
You... should read more.
@Drlee
I didn’t bother reading past ‘the states with highest immigration has the highest minimum wage.’ This destroys your own argument. You raise the minimum wage when there is no pressure on business to do so. It is the only way to offset lower wages from immigration.
@XogGyux
Yes no doubt, never doubted that.

@Drlee
At this point I'm ready to restructure the whole economy not just jailing few business owners who hire illegals. Enough with big business and plutocracy running the show.

@One Degree Lets not forget the killing people are making on the housing market at those big cities because of open borders immigration. They are squeezing everyone dry for profit with astronomical housing prices and rent. The housing market in Toronto is ridiculous with people living paycheck to paycheck that at any point could just all begin to falter. An average house can cost up to a million dollars these days, it is nuts.

I bet you the developers are controlling the supply while people in government just sit back letting this go and collect their share.
I just said, it is the business class and politicians in cahoots who are profiting by this. The rest of us suffer because of their blind greed. It is poor governance, idiots in power who are to blame for this all. Also the fools who fanatically preach about multiculturalism and progress not seeing what they are actually doing. Because they do not understand how economy and society actually functions even on basic level. Which explains why they believe in fairy tales to begin with.

It is blind greed of the business class mixed together with well intentioned cruelly impractical and ignorant visions of the politicians that have produced all this. Plus corruption and actual poor governance. Just looking at the housing prices in Toronto the consequences are most likely coming and they are not going to be pretty. Scare the heck out of me actually.

Then people wonder why Trump was elected.
Albert wrote:I just said, it is the business class and politicians in cahoots who are profiting by this. The rest of us suffer because of their blind greed. It is poor governance, idiots in power who are to blame for this all.

Yes, a lot of the blame for high housing prices is due to capitalism.

Also the fools who fanatically preach about multiculturalism and progress not seeing what they are actually doing. Because they do not understand how economy and society actually functions even on basic level. Which explains why they believe in fairy tales to begin with.

Then people wonder why Trump was elected.

I doubt this.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Which gives rise to an equally terrible far right[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]

Imagine how delighted you will be when the Circus[…]