Can Trump end the "Anchor Baby" policy with an executive order? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
President Donald Trump said he plans to sign an executive order ending birthright citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, a proposal the top House Republican called unconstitutional.

“We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States,” Trump told “Axios on HBO” in an interview, excerpts of which were released Tuesday. “It’s ridiculous. And it has to end.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ship-axios

But it may not be unconstitutional, because the 14th Amendment to the Constitution does not say anything about giving U.S. citizenship to babies born here from foreign citizens and has never been tested by a U.S. Supreme Court case.
Hindsite wrote:President Donald Trump said he plans to sign an executive order ending birthright citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, a proposal the top House Republican called unconstitutional.

“We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States,” Trump told “Axios on HBO” in an interview, excerpts of which were released Tuesday. “It’s ridiculous. And it has to end.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ship-axios

But it may not be unconstitutional, because the 14th Amendment to the Constitution does not say anything about giving U.S. citizenship to babies born here from foreign citizens and has never been tested by a U.S. Supreme Court case.

Isn't this the same as Hung Woo's earlier thread:
Hold on to your hats because shit is about to get real. President Donald J. Trump is about to use an executive order to end birthright citizenship in the USA. Pen and phone joke here.
Last edited by Stormsmith on 31 Oct 2018 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
In reviving the debate on birthright citizenship for children of those who immigrate to the U.S. illegally, President Trump on Tuesday claimed the nation is the “only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States for 85 years with all of those benefits.”

That’s far from true.

The U.S. is among more than 30 countries that give automatic citizenship to children born to nearly anybody living within a country’s borders, according to the National Constitution Center, which was established by Congress to educate Americans about the Constitution.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-bir ... story.html

Lies don't matter because Greatness.

For someone who professes to dislike "the dishonest media"... he sure is dishonest. He has no clue what he is talking about, or even what his powers allow him to do. When it isn't convenient, he just makes shit up, and his adoring crowd cheers being lied to.
Zagadka wrote:Lies don't matter because Greatness.

Trump is great, but he is also telling the truth that we have been violating the law with this "Anchor Baby" policy.
Zagadka wrote:For someone who professes to dislike "the dishonest media"... he sure is dishonest. He has no clue what he is talking about, or even what his powers allow him to do. When it isn't convenient, he just makes shit up, and his adoring crowd cheers being lied to.

In this case, Trump is not making things up. Trump "makes things up" is simply a talking point from the dishonest, biased, and fake news media.
Trump is wrong that only the US allows citizenship if born here. Canada allows it as well as other countries. And he cannot change the law with an executive order.

Today, birthright citizenship, with few exceptions, is the norm in countries whose laws were crafted based on English common law, including Canada, Jamaica and Pakistan. Nearly every country in Central and South America provides birthright citizenship, too.
MistyTiger wrote:Trump is wrong that only the US allows citizenship if born here. Canada allows it as well as other countries. And he cannot change the law with an executive order.

You are listening to the biased left-wing media again. Trump would not be changing a law, since there is no such law for "Anchor Babies". It is only a policy that was adopted years ago. Trump has the authority to make and change policy by executive order. Praise the Lord.
I would and do when they are wrong, mate. Trump is waging a one man disinformation war against reality, and lies more in one day than months of combined MSM.

And yea, I do get triggered when people use idiotic justifications and fictional claims to implement actually harmful policies. Congrats?
Zagadka wrote:I would and do when they are wrong, mate. Trump is waging a one man disinformation war against reality, and lies more in one day than months of combined MSM.

And yea, I do get triggered when people use idiotic justifications and fictional claims to implement actually harmful policies. Congrats?

The policy of ending the "Anchor Baby" policy would be good, not harmful, for our country.
Hindsite wrote:The policy of ending the "Anchor Baby" policy would be good, not harmful, for our country.

If he pulls it off, he will go down in history as greater than Reagan, if only because America can be destroyed demographically and the left is making inroads in that direction.
Rancid wrote:I thought a bunch of people came out saying basically that he can't. :?:

Maybe it will go to the Supreme Court for the final decision.

I personally know Bangladeshis who travelled to the US to have a baby and once they have the American passport, they come back here.

This measure will definitely be a vote-getter.
I don't want to say this, but in the interest of objectivity I will.

I have a Chinese associate, here in China, that told me she wants to go to the US to have her second kid. Presumably to attain US citizenship for the kid.

She said her friend did that.

I didn't have much of a reaction, I was actually a little speechless.

It is a loophole, and people will work loopholes.

At the same time, I don't think Trump has the authority to make such an action. I think he's blowing smoke.

And I don't support the idea of ending the law.
Crantag wrote:I don't want to say this, but in the interest of objectivity I will.

I have a Chinese associate, here in China, that told me she wants to go to the US to have her second kid. Presumably to attain US citizenship for the kid.

She said her friend did that.

I didn't have much of a reaction, I was actually a little speechless.

It is a loophole, and people will work loopholes.

At the same time, I don't think Trump has the authority to make such an action. I think he's blowing smoke.

And I don't support the idea of ending the law.

Any idea why they do this? I was not aware this was a thing until seeing you guys mention it. Do they believe the US citizenship will give their child protection in China (or elsewhere)?
blackjack21 wrote:If he pulls it off, he will go down in history as greater than Reagan, if only because America can be destroyed demographically and the left is making inroads in that direction.

Would that be Ronnie Amnesty Reagan with his fake control act?

Puffer Fish, as a senior (and olde) member of this[…]

1 The great settlement withdrawal that Israelis […]

As someone that pays very close attention to Amer[…]

I (still) have a dream

...Kids don't need to drive anywhere to play with[…]