Trump, Oh my god ! - Page 34 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By blackjack21
Godstud wrote:When you learn about what sharecropping actually is(what I explained was not it) and want to have an honest discussion, get back to me, @blackjack21 .

I understand what sharecropping is @Godstud. Keep in mind, I do have a bachelor's degree in business. The system you explained your wife as participating in is in fact "sharecropping" as that term is understood in US law. You may prefer a different term for purposes of vanity, but what you described is sharecropping.

Godstud wrote:Not sharecropping:
The Thais do not rent the land. They merely work there, so there is no investment on the part of the worker. There is no "debt". There is no responsibility not to fail. It's the same as working at any place where you get a cut of the profits.

The workers do not earn a fixed income, but get a straight up percentage of the gross income. This is an incentive to work efficiently and effectively. The norm being 40-50%. This is considered fair, considering that the owner invested in the land, paid for the planting, fertilizer, etc. It is very efficient and profitable to both the worker and land-owner. The workers not having any real responsibility to the land-owner. It's a payment agreement. Both gain if the crop is good.

It's like going fishing(See Deadliest Catch for an example of shared profits) and only getting money if you catch fish. You get a share of what you catch. That's not sharecropping.

I understand when your wife is involved in sharecropping, you feel that it warrants a different definition. Sharecropping is in fact what it is. Allow me to explain:

Godstud wrote:The Thais do not rent the land.

Neither do sharecroppers. Tenant farmers do rent the land. In US law, we distinguish between a sharecropper who does not own the land and does not pay to use it; and a tenant farmer who does not own the land, but does pay to use it.

Godstud wrote:They merely work there, so there is no investment on the part of the worker.

This is an interesting distinction @Godstud, because under US law if you do not make any investment, you may not be considered an independent contractor. If the sharecropper is NOT and independent contractor, the landowner MUST provide minimum wage in the United States.

Godstud wrote:There is no "debt".

Sharecropping itself does not involve debt; however, unscrupulous landowners did practice a system of debt whereby they might recoup some or all of the profits paid to a sharecropper. As I noted, this was common among Mexican landowners. In the US, store owners who were not landowners might extend credit to sharecroppers if they knew of the sharecropping agreement. From your description, it sounds like in Thailand the workers have enough money to get through a growing season without the need to use credit to purchase their bare essentials.

Godstud wrote:The workers do not earn a fixed income, but get a straight up percentage of the gross income.

Indeed. In the United States, we have laws in place to protect the workers from practices like this when they are not truly independent.

29 CFR § 780.330 - Sharecroppers and tenant farmers.

29 CFR § 780.330 wrote:§ 780.330 Sharecroppers and tenant farmers.
(a) The test of coverage for sharecroppers and tenant farmers is the same as that applied under the Act to determine whether any other person is an employee or not. Certain so-called sharecroppers or tenants whose work activities are closely guided by the landowner or his agent are covered. Those individuals called sharecroppers and tenants whose work is closely directed and who have no actual discretion in controlling farm operations are in fact employees by another name. True independent-contractor sharecroppers or tenant farmers who actually control their farm operations are not employees, but if they employ other workers they may be responsible as employers under the Act.

(b) In determining whether such individuals are employees or independent contractors, the criteria laid down by the courts in interpreting the Act's definitions of employment, such as those enunciated by the Supreme Court in Rutherford Food Corporation v. McComb, are utilized. This case, as well as others, made it clear that the answer to the question of whether an individual is an employee or an independent contractor under the definitions in this Act lies in the relationship in its entirety, and is not determined by common law concepts. It does not depend upon isolated factors but on the “whole activity.” An employee is one who as a matter of economic reality follows the usual path of an employee. Each case must be decided on the basis of all facts and circumstances, and as an aid in the assessment, one considers such factors as the following:

(1) The extent to which the services rendered are an integral part of the principal's business;

(2) The permanency of the relationship;

(3) The opportunities for profit or loss;

(4) The initiative, judgment, or foresight exercised by the one who performs the services;

(5) The amount of investment; and

(6) The degree of control which the principal has in the situation.

(c) Where a tenant or sharecropper is found to be an employee, he and any members of his family who work with him on the crop are also to be included in the 500 man-day count of the owner or operator of the farm. Thus, where a sharecropper is an employee and his wife and children help in chopping cotton, all the family members are employees of the farm owner or operator and all their man-days of work are counted.

(d) On the other hand, a sharecropper or tenant who qualifies as a bona fide independent contractor is considered the same as any other employer, and only the man-days of agricultural labor performed by employees of such a sharecropper or tenant are counted toward the man-days used by him. If he does not meet the 500 man-day test, he is not required to pay his employees the minimum wage even though those employees are entitled to the minimum wage when working for a separate employer who met the man-day test.

Godstud wrote:This is considered fair, considering that the owner invested in the land, paid for the planting, fertilizer, etc.

I haven't said it is unfair. In the US, what you are describing is still sharecropping. However, since you seem to exercise a high degree of control over what is grown, the sharecroppers would be entitled to at least minimum wage in the United States, even if the crop failed. Whereas, as you have described it, in Thailand, the worker is not entitled to minimum wage. You may be confused, because you are Canadian, and the term "sharecropping" in Canadian law does seem to conceptually be considered payment for the land.

Ontario: Lease Agreements: Crop Share Leases

The University of California has some insights into Marhsallian Inefficiency with respect to sharecropping. See Sharecropping

Define sharecropping: a contract where output is shared with no corresponding sharing of all inputs,
i.e., the share in appropriation is different from the share in provision of some of the inputs (purchased
inputs are usually shared through profit sharing).
Puzzle of sharecropping: output sharing implies a disincentive to provide the inputs which are not
shared (e.g., labor and supervision by tenant; management and capital by landlord). It thus contains a source
of inefficiency, the “Marshallian inefficiency” of sharecropping. If the contract is inefficient, why is it
chosen?

According to the University of California, the system your wife is using in Thailand is Marshallian inefficient, because you are absorbing all the costs and the sharecroppers are not absorbing any costs.
By Godstud
blackjack21 wrote:Keep in mind, I do have a bachelor's degree in business.
So what? I have a degree in law enforcement.
Whoopdeedoo! :lol: You still don't fucking know what you're talking about. Your whole argument is predicated under the false presumption of exploitation. This is a false assumption made by someone who simply wants to troll and has nothing of value to bring to the topic.

blackjack21 wrote:and a tenant farmer who does not own the land, but does pay to use it.
They don't pay to use it. There is no tenant farmer. Your argument seems based around this, and so it is flawed.

That and the fact we won't do anything with the land for another two years, of which you ignore, because you're a troll. No one is currently employed. Her brother plans to do the cutting, too.

blackjack21 wrote:sounds like in Thailand the workers have enough money to get through a growing season without the need to use credit to purchase their bare essentials.
That's because you are IGNORANT of how the growing season works.

Let me educate you...

PAY ATTENTION!

Growing season- all the fucking time. It's a tropical country.

10-12 months of the year rubber is cut. Sometimes the trees are allowed a 'recovery period' during winter when the leaves fall. This period is agreed upon by both the owners and the workers. Some people do this, some do not. it varies greatly according to what people want to do.

The trees are 'cut' 2 out of every 3 days, with the rubber being sold about every week or 2., the profits of which are then split, accordingly.

There is not long growing season or debt to build up and if the person working there is not satisfied with the pay, they can simply walk away after a payday. It's about the same as ANY job you'd work, only with the pay fluctuating depending on the market(which does fluctuate a bit, daily), which most people who cut rubber, are well educated about. You are not. You make stupid assumptions.

So, this is about the same as that job you work at, and get paid for your work every 2 weeks.

I know, for a fact, that you are doing this simply to troll and imply a moral or ethical flaw. Now troll off. Twat.
By Godstud
What an Admin Edit: Rule 2 violation thing to say. No one would wish that even on Trump. Good way to show your true character there, @BigSteve. :roll:

(I saw the post before he edited it)
By BigSteve
Godstud wrote:What an asshole thing to say. No one would wish that even on Trump. Good way to show your true character there, @BigSteve. :roll:

(I saw the post before he edited it)

People have wished it on Trump, so cry me a river while I try to give a fuck.

Your opinions mean nothing to me...
By Godstud
Then I hope you get what you wish on others. :D Low classed people wish ill on others.

Your opinion has only the value you give to others opinions. Keep that in mind.
By BigSteve
Godstud wrote:Your opinion has only the value you give to others opinions. Keep that in mind.

Oh, there are plenty of opinions I hold in very high regard.

It's just that none of them are yours...
By blackjack21
Godstud wrote:Your whole argument is predicated under the false presumption of exploitation.

I never predicated anything on exploitation. If anything, I assumed you were not exploiting anybody because you are Canadian. Many people make the assumption that Southern farmers exploited people by no other qualifying factor than use of the term "sharecropping" alone. People who make this assumption of exploitation are usually on the political left. That's why I found it interesting that you have some ties to sharecropping.

Godstud wrote:Her brother plans to do the cutting, too.

Families can be involved in sharecropping.

Godstud wrote:That's because you are IGNORANT of how the growing season works.

Yes. I am. That's why it is so interesting to have someone who is well-informed, but not an expert, explain things to me.

Godstud wrote:Growing season- all the fucking time.

How scientific.

Godstud wrote:The trees are 'cut' 2 out of every 3 days, with the rubber being sold about every week or 2., the profits of which are then split, accordingly.

I see. A very short cycle. That is convenient.

Godstud wrote:You are not. You make stupid assumptions.

Indeed I do have a very limited understanding of the operations of rubber plantations.

Godstud wrote:I know, for a fact, that you are doing this simply to troll and imply a moral or ethical flaw.

I just find it fascinating that you are so well-informed about the United States and the Jim Crow economy, and that you have close ties to sharecropping. If I were to imply a moral or ethical flaw about you, I would be inclined to think it is your tendency to hold such a dim view of Americans whom you don't know. I don't think sharecropping is intrinsically evil.
By jimjam
I blame Obama!

Obama should have told Trump during his presidency orientation that there is a Supreme Court, Senate, and a House of Representatives.

Huge mistake leaving Trump in the dark about how the government works.

This is also why Russian meddling in our elections does not bother Trump. Obama should have explained how the voting works.

I bet Obama never mentioned Putin is out to get us. Never mind how subpoenas work.

Hopefully, Obama at least he explained that the red button is for launching nuclear weapons not room service.
By Godstud
BigSteve wrote:It's just that none of them are yours...
Ditto.

Blackjack21 wrote:I just find it fascinating that you are so well-informed about the United States and the Jim Crow economy
I was never discussing that, so back to dishonesty, AGAIN. :knife:
By Hindsite
jimjam wrote:I blame Obama!

Obama should have told Trump during his presidency orientation that there is a Supreme Court, Senate, and a House of Representatives.

Huge mistake leaving Trump in the dark about how the government works.

This is also why Russian meddling in our elections does not bother Trump. Obama should have explained how the voting works.

I bet Obama never mentioned Putin is out to get us.

Obama did not think Putin and Russia were a problem when he was running for President against Romney or when his administration sold the rights to 20% of our uranium. He seemed to only believed that Putin and Russia were a problem when Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton.
By jimjam
Hindsite wrote:Obama did not think Putin and Russia were a problem when he was running for President against Romney or when his administration sold the rights to 20% of our uranium. He seemed to only believed that Putin and Russia were a problem when Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton.

I wouldn't know, Unlike you, The O Man and I haven't chatted recently :lol: .

Happy Fourth to you Buddy. It's great to be alive and we are so lucky to be living in America. You will be pleased, i'm sure, to know that I have my American flag outside on display.
By Patrickov
jimjam wrote:Huge mistake leaving Trump in the dark about how the government works.

From what Trump has been doing in response to the protests in Hong Kong, I am quite sure Trump does know how the government works. He played his "good cop" role pretty well, while leaving all those "bad cop" work to the Congress and Senate. This works just like his predecessors' administrations.

The bickering is more like his tendency to make everything a drama.
By jimjam
Regarding Justin Amash' who had the audacity to criticize the best president in America's history, our very own Very Stable Genius, Obese Donald had this to puke out:

“Great news for the Republican party as one of the dumbest & most disloyal men in Congress is ‘quitting’ the party,” Trump tweeted. A total loser!”

Is this guy a class act or what? :lol: A real embarrassment to America. Maybe he'll show up at his July 4th campaign rally in the cockpit of one of his "Sherman" tanks dressed in full battle regalia bellowing about how wonderful he is …………...
By Stormsmith
I think even the news is tired of President Trump. One network is chatting about a rolling earthquake in California, asking whether or not Los Angeles residents felt it, and as far as I know, has mentioned his Washington DC rally once, briefly.
By Hindsite
jimjam wrote:I wouldn't know, Unlike you, The O Man and I haven't chatted recently :lol: .

Happy Fourth to you Buddy. It's great to be alive and we are so lucky to be living in America. You will be pleased, i'm sure, to know that I have my American flag outside on display.

That's great. And happy fourth of July to you, also.
HalleluYah
By Crantag
jimjam wrote:I wouldn't know, Unlike you, The O Man and I haven't chatted recently :lol: .

I'm still sat in China so the fourth was yesterday in this time zone.

I went out to try and buy some fireworks but it turned out they're illegal in this city.

I took an Uber to outside the city, but the only fireworks store was out of business. Undeterred, I returned to the city and got a paper bag. I ripped a hole in the bottom corner and fed a tissue through it to act as a fuse. I ripped up some pieces of paper and lined the bottom, and then piled on 7 brand new lighters. I layered more paper and through on all the other lighters I had laying around, and then put an additional layer of paper.

I snuck up in front of a local western bar and lit the fuse. It went off pretty well.

No fireworks, no 4th.
By Hindsite
Crantag wrote:I'm still sat in China so the fourth was yesterday in this time zone.

I went out to try and buy some fireworks but it turned out they're illegal in this city.

I took an Uber to outside the city, but the only fireworks store was out of business. Undeterred, I returned to the city and got a paper bag. I ripped a hole in the bottom corner and fed a tissue through it to act as a fuse. I ripped up some pieces of paper and lined the bottom, and then piled on 7 brand new lighters. I layered more paper and through on all the other lighters I had laying around, and then put an additional layer of paper.

I snuck up in front of a local western bar and lit the fuse. It went off pretty well.

No fireworks, no 4th.

One does not need fireworks to have a happy fourth of July.
By jimjam

Epstein socialized with Donald Trump, who in 2002 described him to New York Magazine as a “terrific guy” whom he’d known for 15 years. “It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side,” said the future president. In 2000, a porter who worked next door to Epstein’s Manhattan home told a British newspaper, admiringly, “I often see Donald Trump and there are loads of models coming and going, mostly at night. It’s amazing.”

To be "fair and balanced", it appears that Bill Clinton, who has a penis control issue similar to Obese Donald's , may have also been involved with Epstein's parade of perversion. America's values rot problem is clearly a bipartisan rot situation.

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O