Canada government issues permanent postal ban on hate speech publication. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/your-w ... -1.4907808

A Toronto-based publication widely criticized for disseminating hate speech against minorities, Jews, women and the LGBTQ community has been permanently banned from distribution through Canada Post.

In May of 2016, the federal government issued a temporary order banning Your Ward News from using Canada Post following a number of complaints about its discriminatory content.

A board of review was struck to review the decision; it held 11 public hearings between April of last year and Feb. 2018.

The final report of the review board recommended issuing a final order that would have the effect of prohibiting the publishers — or any agent of the publishers, or any other company publishing Your Ward News under a different name — from distributing hate propaganda through the mail.

"After having carefully considered the recommendations of the independent board of review, I have decided to issue a final prohibitory order that will prevent the delivery of the publication Your Ward News, or any substantially similar material developed by its authors, through Canada Post's unaddressed bulk mail," Carla Qualtrough, the minister responsible for Canada Post, said in a statement.

"My decision is consistent with the applicable legislation and the government's values and stance on inclusiveness and diversity."

Your Ward News publishes quarterly and bills itself as the "world's largest anti-Marxist publication." But it's been widely criticized as a purveyor of hate speech. Its editor and publisher both face charges of wilfully promoting hatred.

The newspaper is the brainchild of editor-in-chief James Sears, who has presented himself on his website as an expert in seduction skills. His licence to practise medicine was revoked after he pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting patients.

Sears and publisher Leroy St. Germaine, 76, were arrested and charged in November 2017 with the wilful promotion of hatred against women and Jews.

'This is totally unacceptable'

It was the first time in Ontario's history that a charge of wilful promotion of hatred against women had been laid, according to the Office of the Attorney General.

"We commend minister Qualtrough for her principled decision," said the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs in a statement Thursday.

"Your Ward News promotes disgusting anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, misogyny, homophobia, and racism. Our taxpayer-funded mail service should not be used to distribute such hateful content to hundreds of thousands of households.

"It is shocking that such vile messages are being peddled here in Canada in 2018. Just think about a Holocaust Survivor picking up their mail only to find neo-Nazi propaganda on their doorstep. This is totally unacceptable."

'Hitler Fan Club'

In an editorial posted on the publication's website, Sears vowed to "continue to print and deliver 305,000 copies of our paper using private companies and our volunteer army."

In the same editorial, Sears also said that he will soon restart his monthly "Toronto Real Men" meetings to teach men seduction skills and the secrets of masculinity, and is planning to set up "a clubhouse for my Hitler Fan Club."

Political consultant Warren Kinsella and his wife Lisa started a group called Standing Together Against Mailing Prejudice (STAMP) to pressure Canada Post to halt delivery of the publication. Both said they were pleased with the government's decision Thursday.

"We are delighted and grateful that minister Qualtrough has taken concrete steps to prevent this hateful filth from being delivered to homes in the greater Toronto area and beyond," said Lisa Kinsella in a statement.

If I were a mail deliverer, I would have “lost” (i.e. gleefully burned) this guy’s “news” every single time I was told to deliver it.
If people were getting it who didn’t want it, then I am assuming it is junk mail. Banning junk mail would be great. A government banning something they declare ‘hate speech’ is Nazism. That should scare you more than the publication.
Pants-of-dog wrote:The newspaper has not been banned from publication or distribution.

Instead, the distribution will now no longer be done at the taxpayers expense.

Is mail service free in Canada? We pay for our own mail to be delivered through postage.
One Degree wrote:I made it. Do you still say these mailings were done at taxpayers expense?

Probably. I do not care.

If you want to argue that they were not done at the taxpayer’s expense, then fine. They were not done at the taxpayers expense.

Canada Post does not need to provide a platform for hate speech. Especially hate speech from a known rapist.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Probably. I do not care.

If you want to argue that they were not done at the taxpayer’s expense, then fine. They were not done at the taxpayers expense.

Canada Post does not need to provide a platform for hate speech. Especially hate speech from a known rapist.

Yes, the initial precedent is one everyone can agree with. The tenth ‘hate group’ targeted by this precedent probably won’t be so acceptable to you, but then it’s too late. :)
You are denying them rights everyone else has. My ideology can justify that but I don’t see how yours can without being hypocritical. Why do you get to pick and choose minorities that need a voice? How is their voice less than transgenders?
One Degree wrote:You are denying them rights everyone else has. My ideology can justify that but I don’t see how yours can without being hypocritical. Why do you get to pick and choose minorities that need a voice? How is their voice less than transgenders?

How are they being denied rights?

How do you define them as minorities?

How is their voice being treated as less than anyone else’s?
Pants-of-dog wrote:How are they being denied rights?

How do you define them as minorities?

Are these serious questions? You denied them mailing rights everyone else has. If they are not the majority, then they are a minority. Your last question is answered by the first two answers.
One Degree wrote:Are these serious questions?

Yes.

You denied them mailing rights everyone else has.

No, I did not do anything.

And they are still allowed to mail things. They simply are no longer allowed to use CP to distribute hate mail. And the reason they are punished this way is because they sent hate mail.

If they are not the majority, then they are a minority.

So white men are a minority now? Lol.

Your last question is answered by the first two answers.

No, not to my satisfaction.

Please explain how starting to eliminate rights of Nazis is different than Nazis gradually limiting the rights of Jews? You are deliberately taking the first steps to their eventual genocide.
One Degree wrote:Please explain how starting to eliminate rights of Nazis is different than Nazis gradually limiting the rights of Jews? You are deliberately taking the first steps to their eventual genocide.

Answer my questions.

Also, how are their rights being eliminated?

And how is it “the first steps towards genocide” to stop distributing material calling for genocide?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Answer my questions.

Also, how are their rights being eliminated?

And how is it “the first steps towards genocide” to stop distributing material calling for genocide?

Answer mine.
One Degree wrote:Answer mine.

No, they are loaded “questions” that assume incorrect things. Also, you did not ask a question. You wrote two declarative staments and incorrectly put a question mark at the end of the first one.

Also, you made the claim that this was the first steps towards genocide. How so?
Pants-of-dog wrote:No, they are loaded “questions” that assume incorrect things. Also, you did not ask a question. You wrote two declarative staments and incorrectly put a question mark at the end of the first one.

Also, you made the claim that this was the first steps towards genocide. How so?

I already explained. Once you decide any voice deserves fewer rights than others, you have targeted them for discrimination. Since you have accepted they should not have the same mailing rights you have made a government declaration they are inferior. Further restrictions will now be readily acceptable since you have made them inferior. Do they have some place else to go? If not, then even my ideology says you have targeted them for genocide. Where is their freedom?

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]