Acting AG appointment pushes Democrats into a frenzy - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I love this funny tweet from President Trump giving nickname to Adam Schiff

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

So funny to see little Adam Schitt (D-CA) talking about the fact that Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker was not approved by the Senate, but not mentioning the fact that Bob Mueller (who is highly conflicted) was not approved by the Senate!

However, both Mueller and Whitaker were approved by the Senate for previous jobs. Whitaker got Senate approval when he was named US attorney in Iowa in 2004. Mueller got Senate approval when he was appointed FBI director in 2001.
Hindsite wrote:I love this funny tweet from President Trump giving nickname to Adam Schiff

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

So funny to see little Adam Schitt (D-CA) talking about the fact that Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker was not approved by the Senate, but not mentioning the fact that Bob Mueller (who is highly conflicted) was not approved by the Senate!

However, both Mueller and Whitaker were approved by the Senate for previous jobs. Whitaker got Senate approval when he was named US attorney in Iowa in 2004. Mueller got Senate approval when he was appointed FBI director in 2001.

Mueller is not a principal actor, only accountable to the president.

Mueller's position doesn't require Senate confirmation.

The Attorney General is a principal actor (if I have the term right, but you at least get the spirit).

The president is allowed to appoint an acting principal actor, in the event of a death or resignation.

Sessions technically resigned, though everyone knows he was fired.

A forced resignation is sort of a grey area, but technically the president is allowed to appoint a temporary successor.

It is a bit dodgy though, considering the spirit of the law, and the fact that Sessions was obviously forced out.

If Sessions had refused to resign and said, you have to fire me, the appointment of Whitaker would be illegal, by the letter of the law (as explicitly stated in the constitution).

There is a sound argument that the appointment of Whitaker violates the spirit of the constitution.

But you don't give a shit about that. You only care about your political tribalism.

Trump isn't a Christian. Neither am I. I can spot an atheist like me, which is what Trump is.

But you also don't give a shit about that. You continue to call him the Trump of God.

But this is only a reflection of your adherence to your political tribalism.
People, and lurkers,

I remind you-all that Hindsite has his own media sources that he believes and he rejects all other media sources.
This means that if the media you trust is different from the media he trusts, then you should not believe one fact that Hindsite relates to you or uses to make his points until you fact check them.
To reduce any human to the ‘facts’ they quote is to limit a human’s experience to a ‘calculation’. I am more interested in their overall ‘consistency of thought’. We should be interested in their ‘viewpoint’ and not whether it is based upon the same facts we accept.
I disagree with many poster’s world view but only argue against the ones that are inconsistent. If they have fully thought it out, then it is as legitimate as mine.
According to The New York Times, Mr. Whitaker has the support of Senator Charles E. Grassley, the Iowa Republican who is chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Mr. Grassley supported Mr. Whitaker to be appointed United States attorney in Iowa in 2004 and was pleased with the decision on Wednesday to name him acting attorney general.

“I look forward to working with Matt Whitaker as he takes the helm of the Justice Department,” Mr. Grassley said in a statement. “A fellow Iowan, who I’ve known for many years, Matt will work hard and make us proud. The Justice Department is in good hands during this time of transition.”

It is likely that Mr. Whitaker will be in the position until at least early next year because the Senate legislative calendar would make it nearly impossible to confirm a new attorney general before the current term ends in December.

Mr. Whitaker’s rise comes after a New York Times article disclosed in September that Mr. Rosenstein had discussed secretly taping his conversations with the president and talked about using the 25th Amendment to remove President Trump from office.

After the report, Mr. Rosenstein offered to resign and Mr. Whitaker was expected to take over as the acting deputy attorney general because White House advisers had told him it would happen.

President Trump passed over Mr. Rosenstein, his confirmed deputy attorney general, for Mr. Whitaker, a department staffer.

It has recently been stated that Mr. Whitaker will allow Mr. Rosenstein to continue overseeing the Mueller probe.
MistyTiger wrote:Every side is in a frenzy, not just Democrats.

The name calling that Trump does is so juvenile and disrespectful, not to mention very unprofessional. As a businessman, he should know not to mock colleagues and counterparts. You never know when your words might bite you in the ass.

Perhaps you are correct. But I find it funny and more entertaining than the normal politician.
Praise the Lord for the Trump of God.
HalleluYah
MistyTiger wrote:Every side is in a frenzy, not just Democrats.

The name calling that Trump does is so juvenile and disrespectful, not to mention very unprofessional. As a businessman, he should know not to mock colleagues and counterparts. You never know when your words might bite you in the ass.

I think Trump might be figuring out chanting "Lock her up" might be one of those utterances. That's probably going to haunt them.

Wake me up when you have something to replace it.[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing m[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isra[…]

Wars still happen. And violent crime is blooming,[…]